• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the absolute worst game of 2016 you played?

Gbraga

I knew there'd be votes for No Man's Sky in here, it was expected.

But I'm honestly surprised at the number of edgelords voting for Uncharted 4. That was ... the worst game you played in 2016? Really?

So, which of the games I played this year that I should like less than Uncharted 4 for you not to qualify me as an edgelord?

To be fair, it's worst game you played per the thread title.

With all the reviews, let's plays and other videos etc. out there you really have to just be trying random shit just to try it to play games you end up truly feeling are awful these days.

So for most people the "worst" game they'll play in a given year is whatever ended up disappointing them despite reviewing well and looking like something they'd like in early videos they watched before buying.

Bingo.

I could give many examples just looking at this thread of games I would definitely enjoy less than Uncharted 4. But why the fuck would I play them if I already know that? I don't have that much money to try random stuff that I'll most likely hate.

it's a tie between Mafia III, which was an absolute borefest after 3 hours and buggy as hell on top of that, and Let it Die i played just about 30 minutes and hated it, i swear i won't be able to get into it at all, the combat feels sluggish and this ultimately ruined it for me

Oooooh, that's right! I tried Let it Die recently! There you go, Uncharted 4 fans, you can sleep a little better tonight, it's no longer the worst game I played this year.

This was on sale a few weeks ago for $25 on PS4. I almost bought it but apparently it wasn't supposed to be on sale because by the end of the next day it was no longer discounted.

So. How is the game? I didn't really like Shinovi Versus because the levels were really uninteresting and the camera was horrible. Is any of that improved? The combos were fun to mash out but I also found it frustrating to lock on to enemies, especially bosses.

I have not played Shinobi Versus but do know someone of the maps from that game return in this game. The camera is pretty bad, I found myself not being able to see if I was too close to the wall as the camera would be behind the wall.

The lock-on is very bad. It locks onto the closest thing near you so switching targets is a nightmare. It feels good to combo but there are characters who have trouble clearing out grunts so they have to rely on ground pounds or aerial raves. Sometimes a grunt will end up pass a barrier so depending on the character, you may have to reset the mission. There are also characters who combo strings don't actually combo on human opponents. Bosses on higher difficulties tend to spam their level 1 ninpo over and over so there is really no comboing them.

There is really no difficulty since characters level up during the fight which store hp/ninpo. The story is pretty much nonsense, like 90% jokes, 5% serious, and 5% setting up for a new game. It really felt like filler. Outside my game crashing in story twice, I've had times where I feel through the map a couple of times.

I think the game is fair for the sale price but not the full $60. It looks good in 60 fps and I don't recall having any frame drops. I think the game really falls apart in PvP.

Myriadis

Lost Reavers. Tried it out because it is a free Online game after all but that game was so buggy that I couldn't even progress past the first room. When your main mechanic doesn't work at all you get a bad game. It's obvious Namco wanted it to get out of the door and forget about it. it's a shame, could've been interesting.

sTiTcH AU

I have played a lot of games this year and one has stood out for me in this catagory. Now this is in no way a bad game, i just could not get into it and its dishonored 2.

There is a massive emphasis on stealth in the game but i found the stealth to be complete shit. The world looks really interesting though so I will revisit soon.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Probably Blanc + Neptune vs Zombies.

The next nearest one is Star Fox Zero, which I liked, so I suppose I had a good year in gaming.

Basketball

Apb Reloaded
for the framerate on console .... HOW it's so old

and .....

Uncharted 4

played the first few areas
man these kinds of linear cinematic games are not for me anymore
push forward and x ... sometimes circle
too boring

mdzapeer

No Man's Sky...refunded and never looked back.

Dead Rising.....not my cup of tea. The controls felt sluggish and the gameplay bored me.

The Evil Within, I did enjoy it to an extent, but it could have been so much better. So not the worst but near the bottom of the barrel.

autoduelist

So, which of the games I played this year that I should like less than Uncharted 4 for you not to qualify me as an edgelord?

I find the term 'edgelord' pretty stupid, so I won't respond to that part, but I think the basic issue is most people who play a game like Uncharted 4 and don't particularly enjoy it would classify it as 'obviously a great game, well designed, but not at all for me'. To go 10 steps further and list in in a thread as the 'worst game of 2016', knowing full well you're just going to rile people up, seems... well... less than authentic. I can name games I enjoyed more than U4 that aren't as good as U4, and I can certainly name dozens of games that don't even come close.

As an example, I didn't enjoy Witcher 3. I really disliked the new Dragon Age [collectathon, terrible combat]. But to say either was 'worst game of their year' would be ridiculously overdramatic, because clearly both accomplish exactly what they set out to do, even if I don't particularly enjoy them. And while you're free to list whatever you want, when someone lists a game that's clearly high caliber [even though obviously not every thing can be for everyone] it reeks of an attempt to rile people up when so many clearly downright terrible games exist that don't exhibit even a sign of redemption.

DukeBobby

I don't think I've played any downright terrible games this year, but the worst one that I finished was probably Mafia 3.

After a strong opening few hours, it quickly became a tedious grind that felt like it would never end.

jimboton

I didn't play truly bad games this year but.. this year's dud is probably Owlboy. That game goes absolutely nowhere with its promising twin stick shooter meets metroidvania mechanics.

Roufianos

But I'm honestly surprised at the number of edgelords voting for Uncharted 4. That was ... the worst game you played in 2016? Really?

I only played about 8 or so games this year and Uncharted was probably the second worst after Mafia 3.

I'm not saying for a minute that it's one of the worst games released this year, just one of the worst I played.

You have to factor in the number of games people played that year and the quality of those titles. I personally don't have the drive anymore to try out lots of different games, I only buy ones that I'm sure I'll like and Mafia III and U4 were the only games that disappointed me in that regard.

I wouldn't even say it was a bad game, just boring as hell.

Virginia. I don't like games where devs don't explain the story. Instead, they want players to discuss their own theories on message boards. Inside was one of those games, but at least it has good gameplay. In Virginia, there's no gameplay. Its just a walking sim.

Xion86

Final Fantasy: Explorers....urgh..

Can't believe some people said Uncharted 4...I mean seriously, WORST game of 2016? What a joke..some of you people are hilarious here :D.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

People can sincerely dislike highly-regarded games, yes.

DBZ Extreme Butoden.

I almost went with this initially since I did play it in 2016, but ultimately tossed it out because it released in 2015. It's certainly one of the most boring fighting games I've played in a good while.

Protome

Battleborn. I know that game has defenders but goddamn the terrible terrible writing and humour, ugly graphics, boring multiplayer and basically non existant single player was just a mess from top to bottom.

Final Fantasy: Explorers....urgh..

Can't believe some people said Uncharted 4...I mean seriously, WORST game of 2016? What a joke..some of you people are hilarious here :D.
What a silly post. People are entitled to their opinions and Uncharted 4 wasn't the perfect game everyone acts like it is. Also not everyone plays every game, it's perfectly reasonable to miss the actual terrible games of the year and the one you found the worst ends up being a good one.

last guardian

forcing myself to play...just like his other games i dont think these sorts of games are for me

on the plus side im blown away by the animation and he connection you feel for the 2 main charactors....its just the puzzle shit really is frustrating

vkrili

Dragon Quest 7 for the 3DS.

The font the localization caused frame drops. In a turn-based, select-commands-from-menu RPG. Going through menus overlays the new menu windows on top of each other, causing the game to run at sub-10 fps.

Couple this with a boring protagonist and supporting cast, annoying NPCs, stories I don't give a hoot about (why do we care about this robot??), and some of the worst combat I've seen in a Dragon Quest game.

I got through the entire Abbey segment. That entire waste of time. Unlocked the jobs, tried them out for a bit, then quit forever.

Dragon Quest 5 is one of my favorite games, so it was a shame.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
From the games I actually finished, I'd probably say The Division or Quantum Break. The former has awful gunplay, boring encounters and the usual Ubi bloat. The latter has terrible platforming and movement, plus some boring tv episodes for some reason.

Blindy

Ray Gigant is complete trash. A bad dungeon crawler with bad mechanics and really boring maps mixed with a visual novel where I hate every character. It also happens to have the worst localisation in recent memory short of Asian English releases, which is a pretty big deal for a game that's mostly dialogue. I feel bad for anyone who bought it based on how nice the battle scenes look.
Bought it while it was on sale back for like 3-4 dollars so if it really is awful, it's not too big of a blow. Probably would not have bought it otherwise.

Top Bottom