• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best cartoon after Avatar The Last Airbender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, cuz come on...

tumblr_lwa5vb2Fx71qcv2z3o1_250.gif
tumblr_lwa5vb2Fx71qcv2z3o2_250.gif

tumblr_lwa5vb2Fx71qcv2z3o3_250.gif
tumblr_lwa5vb2Fx71qcv2z3o4_250.gif

tumblr_lwa5vb2Fx71qcv2z3o5_250.gif
tumblr_lwa5vb2Fx71qcv2z3o6_250.gif

tumblr_lwa5vb2Fx71qcv2z3o7_r1_250.gif
tumblr_lwa5vb2Fx71qcv2z3o8_r1_250.gif

I don't know why I'm so turned on right now. This show, man. This show.

shira

I mean, cuz come on...

I don't know why I'm so turned on right now. This show, man. This show.
I think the best part of the analogy is the way they make out the Avatar as the master of the 4. When in essence if you mastered taichi, the nature of martial arts is that you would have the same basic principles to be a master in the other 3.

Gartooth

There have been some really great animated shows since then, but I'm not sure if I've seen any recently that I'd put on The Last Airbender's level even though some come close.

Spectacular Spider-Man might have been one had it not been cut short after 26 episodes.

KAL2006

Banned
Honestly nothing. Though I did enjoy 3 anime cartoons quite a bit (Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Rouri Kenshin, Berzerk). But nothing compares to this show and I dont think will ever in the future.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
depends on what you mean when you say "after"

if the question is based on ranking..... The I would say that the question was flawed because there are a few cartoon series that are better than avatar and even more that will come after it as being worse. Avatar is top 10 but where exactly it would slotted would be hard to tell.

If "after" refers to time, as in the best cartoon since avatar was cancelled I would say: Young Justice possibly Adventure Time. If you get into Anime the "Attack on Titan" and "FMA Brotherhood".

RedShift

Damn this thread is going to make me re watch Avatar again isn't it? Everything about that show is just awesome.

Does Archer count as a cartoon? Because Archer is the correct answer.

I stopped watching when Season 5 went on hiatus, it really seemed to have gone downhill. Maybe it got better. First 3 seasons are really good though

From the first season Rick and Morty is unbelievably good.

Obviously Simpsons early seasons, and early Futurama.

There are dozens of better cartoons. This thread is silly. It's a fine cartoon, no question... but indisputably the best?

Even looking at the four pieces of evidence you present one of the four is not like the others...

tumblr_lwa5vb2Fx71qcv2z3o4_250.gif

That doesn't even remotely match. A stomp followed by a double leg drop kick vs landing from a jump and then doing a kick... come on dude.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Shame about Legend of Korra, but I really love the movements used in Earth bending and Fire bending.

Young Justice season 1 is pretty great. There are a few dud episodes in the middle, but overall it's a really great show. It's got great animation and action scenes, some strong characters, and the overarching story is actually pretty interesting (though it's not amazing). The first season is probably my favorite cartoon after Avatar.

I've been watching Spectacular Spiderman recently and it's also very enjoyable. However, the tone is a little too childish at times, so I can't quite recommend it as much as YJ.

Legend of Korra isn't good?

Season 1 was flawed and never managed to reach the heights of ATLA, but it was enjoyable nonetheless (hell, I'd say the production values alone make it worth a watch - gorgeous art and animation).

Season 2, however...

*takes a seat*
*shakes head*

What a mess.

TheOGB

Banned
Most of the stuff Cartoon Network's been putting out lately (adult swim included) has been top tier. Examples like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Rick and Morty, Venture Bros. have already been posted. edit: Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated and Steven Universe are also fantastic, but unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of Young Justice.

And while Avatar is indeed excellent, I hesitate to call it the best.

Tuck

Adventure time, no question. Show has more depth and character development in 11 minutes than most shoes do in 42.

Kangi

The best cartoons that are in the same vein as A:TLA are Batman: TAS and Gargoyles; though they focus less on an adventure aspect.

Unless by "after", you mean literally made after A:TLA, in which case Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated and Gravity Falls are both great.

Tuck

If you go by the korra thread, its shit.

But its not actually shit.

Its solid, occasionally incredible, often rough around the edges. Not up to the heights of the original, but enjoyable. First half of season 2 was rough.

Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes
Spectacular Spiderman

Dont watch Korra, especially not when you have ATLA so fresh on your mind. Compared to ATLA its pretty awful.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The characters themselves(especially Korra) fall short at times when they shouldn't and it's aggravating. The 1st season had certain pacing, character development issues and inconsistencies as well as a
Deus Ex Machina
at the end. While the 2nd season just piled on to that with more being characters thrown into the mix as well as no character growth for the returning cast and instead they decided to double up on Korra's headstrong attitude then there's the
boneheaded move she made
at the end of it.

On a positive note it does have a lot of great animation and season 1 had a great antagonist in Amon.

Unless you want to lump incredibly different styles and genres together just because they're animated, Korra is the only show that shares aspects with Avatar, like the martial arts moves in the OP, the good art and animation, the serial storytelling, and the action choreography. Too bad about the writing.

As far as animation that's better than Avatar, that's the realm of anime.

Most people agree that the first season was pretty good until the very very end. Season 2 was hot garbage throughout, save for the Origin story in the middle which was great.

The animation and music are superb in both. Just wish it had better writing like TLA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom