• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best cartoon after Avatar The Last Airbender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Nah, there are many quality cartoons airing right now.

Just because they are quality shows doesn't make them entertaining though. I've tried watching shows like regular show, adventure time, gumball, gravity falls, and whatever trite they pass off as cartoons on nickelodeon these days. Just not funny at all.

TheOGB

Banned
giphy.gif
Scrolling down I thought this was Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy

so add Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy to the list of awesome

why is cartoon network the number one channel I watch

the only time I am not watching cartoon network is when shows like adventure time and johnny test are on
I usually have my TV on for noise and I just leave Cartoon Network on all day because it's about the only channel that doesn't piss me off. I used to have to find something else or turn off the TV if Annoying Orange or Uncle Grandpa came on, but AO hasn't been playing recently and Uncle Grandpa... isn't terrible.

Star wars: Clone Wars, is god-tier. It's just so fucking awesome. Its what happens when the creators tell the censors to go to hell. What kid show allows people to be brutally killed and tortured, innocent people getting massacred, lots of death and violence? Clone Wars.

Avatar was a kid show trying to be adult, but, everything about it was so toned down. No deaths, people using non-lethal attacks in a fucking war, etc. Korra wasn't much better. The whole series attempted to be more "adult" by using mature themes, but, most of them time did them as half assed as possible.

SykoTech

Forgot about Gravity Falls. That's a good pick. Regular Show is pretty cool too.

Korra still sucks though. Obviously not the worse cartoon ever, with stuff like Johnny Test around. But it's not good, and absolutely doesn't deserve to be mentioned in a discussion about "best cartoons".

Toxi

Banned
Maybe not the best, but I still love it.

Beast_Wars_title_logo.jpg

Great characters, great animation (the facial motions still look good), great voice-acting. It had a variety of episodes and balanced comedy well with the serious parts. Season 2 is just one solid block of amazing. If you can get over the typical Transformers merchandise angle and the weird pacing, it's a winner. Beast Machines is also enjoyable, but it lacks the charm of the first.

I still need to watch Reboot. :-(

Forgot about Gravity Falls.
Gravity Falls is fantastic. I was expecting something a bit cute and funny and I got a whole lot more out of it.

Mononoke

Banned
Avatar was great because the cast of characters and their growth together. The main plot wasn't entirely unique but it had an incredible mythology (even if some of it was iffy). So no, it wasn't perfect by any means. But the overall package was amazing. I actually got into Avatar a couple years after it was over. And man it really had a profound impact on me. I never expected that the show I was watching in early season 1 would turn into such an epic.

I don't know if it's the best cartoon ever as OP states, but it's certainly at the top. So much so that I consider it one of my favorite shows even next to dramas. It's something I'll revisit many times in my life.

And yeah, the Legend of Korra is a mess. I liked Season 1, despite most of the negative criticism. It had issues, but I liked it as it's own thing, even if it didn't live up to ATLA. I didn't need it to. But Korra season 2 was generally awful. At least 55% of it was so fundamentally broken from a writing perspective.

Read the comics after ATLA. Some of it is good stuff. Also I love Azula. :)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
the 26 episode series of Escaflowne is spectacular and still one of my top faves.

That show is so overrated...It would be fantastic yeah, if I was 13. Its definitely not the masterpiece for all ages people make it out to be.

Don't forget they had a completely different earthbending style based on the Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu style for Toph, because she was self-taught.

Hot damn, I completely forgot that she was self taught. Now that makes sense. Christ, the attention to detail here is astounding.

Personally I have really enjoyed Tron: Legacy and Green Lantern: The Animated Series. I have checked out too few of the more comedic shows but I have seen parts of Adventure Time and Regular Show and enjoy both of them.

Symbionic-Titan was great too, but I think a bit less than those other shows. It got better as the show went on I think, but by the time it got great it had to stop. :(

Pau

People heavily exaggerate the hate for Korra.

To be honest even Avatar didn't hit it stride in season 2, and it's highest point in the show was the entire Ba Sing Se arc. Lead up to the end of season 1 is the only thing that is close to it but even then that's pushing it.
I think the difference is that if you go back and watch season 1 of A:TLA, it still holds up as well-written for the most part. It's not as in-your-face dramatic and awesome as what comes afterwards, but episodes like The Storm are incredibly well done. Even at that point, the Aang and Zuko have more depth than anything from Korra's first season.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think the difference is that if you go back and watch season 1 of A:TLA, it still holds up as well-written for the most part. It's not as in-your-face dramatic and awesome as what comes afterwards, but episodes like The Storm are incredibly well done. Even at that point, the Aang and Zuko have more depth than anything from Korra's first season.

people tend to gloss over the stuff that didn't work as well in Avatar. Like Aang hiding a letter from his friends father because he got jealous that they were talking about him, or the fact that Sokka's humor didn't really work half of the time at first, or the Great Divide.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Sorry, I can't agree that TLA is the best cartoon. Seasons 1 and 2 were great (for the most part), but season season 3 took a massive nosedive.

Shows that are better than TLA:

- Justice League/Unlimited
- Batman: TAS
- Superman: TAS
- Gargoyles
- Young Justice
- Static Shock

I know there's some that I'm forgetting.

Season 1 was pretty damn horrible though.

To be honest even Avatar didn't hit it stride in season 2, and it's highest point in the show was the entire Ba Sing Se arc. Lead up to the end of season 1 is the only thing that is close to it but even then that's pushing it.

Season 1 was pretty great, and had a fantastic finale.

Measley

Young Justice
Adventure Time
Boondocks
Bravest Warriors
Steven Universe

All time?

Mysterious Cities of Gold
Batman TAS
Full Metal Alchemist (either series)

Pau

people tend to gloss over the stuff that didn't work as well in Avatar. Like Aang hiding a letter from his friends father because he got jealous that they were talking about him, or the fact that Sokka's humor didn't really work half of the time at first, or the Great Divide.
Hence why I said "for the most part." I think another thing that works in TLA's favor is that it's longer, so episodes like the Great Divide or Bato of the Water Tribe don't stand out so much. They are also episodes that aren't very important to the plot and overall character arcs. Meanwhile, the issues with Korra tend to be those that are directly tied to those things.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Transformers, Thundercats, Gi Joe, TMNT, He-Man, Silverhawks, Doug, Bobby's World, Fat Albert, Toxic Crusaders and those X-men and Spiderman 90's shows. All of these were infinitely better than that air bending thing you named.
Actually I never watched The Last Airbender so I have no idea if that's true.

Htown

Actually I never watched The Last Airbender so I have no idea if that's true.

The Last Airbender is actually really, really good. It's not perfect, but it's definitely a top ten all-time cartoon show.

I was surprised. First I saw of it was a DVD on a shelf somewhere, where it looked like some lame anime ripoff or something.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
The Last Airbender is actually really, really good. It's not perfect, but it's definitely a top ten all-time cartoon show.

I was surprised. First I saw of it was a DVD on a shelf somewhere, where it looked like some lame anime ripoff or something.

This is the impression I've always gotten as well. I'd check it out though if there was a convenient way to watch them all. Don't believe it's on Netflix is it?

genjiZERO

Star wars: Clone Wars, is god-tier. It's just so fucking awesome. Its what happens when the creators tell the censors to go to hell. What kid show allows people to be brutally killed and tortured, innocent people getting massacred, lots of death and violence? Clone Wars.

The stylized character designs kept me away from this. It's so hideous to watch.

This is the impression I've always gotten as well. I'd check it out though if there was a convenient way to watch them all. Don't believe it's on Netflix is it?

You can watch all of it on Amazon Prime. It's well worth your time.

Also, I don't think it's "anime" at all. The only parallels is that it deals with Eastern themes (but to me, almost never feels Japanese) and the character models have big eyes. To me, it was clearly a Western endeavor.

Epcott

It's hard to find good Western animated shows that have run to completion (not canceled too soon) on par with Avatar. The Bruce Timm DC shows are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.

DC Combo: Batman TAS, Batman Beyond, Superman TAS, Justice League, JLU.

(It's so funny how people go on about MCU's consistency and interconnected heroes but these shows did it a decade earlier, and they did it well).

AAK

Avatar TLA isn't only the best cartoon but the best serialized production ever aired in the history of television and cinema.

I watched Season 1 of Korra, for me it's not even 1/10th as good as the original.

genjiZERO

I will watch this show eventually, but the damn art style turns me off big time.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good. The art direction isn't stylized, and the character designs and animation are all realistic.

edit:

The fakenime look of it. Not that it will matter if the story is great in which case I'm sure I will get over it eventually.

Eh..... just watch it. It didn't really come across as "fakenime" to me. To me, it looked more like it had been inspired by it more than it was trying to capture that look. It's actually really well done.

Clarence is pretty funny and interesting. It's a new show on Cartoon Network that I didn't think I'd enjoy during the first few minutes of the pilot, but it got really good. It's in the middle of the first season now and it's probably up there on my favorite cartoons list, next to Rick and Morty.

The premise is extremely simple but the execution and timing are both spot-on. It's about an elementary school boy who is optimistic about any and everything... and that's it.

TLA has made every other animated series I've seen appear mediocre by comparison, but Batman: TAS likely holds up best. But the quality of characterisation, character development, animation, directing, music, pacing (esp. end of S1 and S2), meaningful episodes devoted to characters other than the protagonists, the wit of the writing, put it on its own level. I don't Korra half as compelling, and I don't think it's too bad. I've rewatched it mutliple times over the years (and introduced others to it with little interest in animation) and while it clear has its imperfections, I've only grown in my admiration. One of a kind in the west.

Disagree with everything you said. But opinions and all that.

The stylized character designs kept me away from this. It's so hideous to watch.

I felt the same about Tron uprising at first. Their legs are most of their body mass after all.

But both shows don't let it detract from the main portions. TCW especially improves as it goes along, but its held back by poor dialog and some weak (or silly) story arcs, which is why I didn't mention it. Otherwise, at least on the animation front, it is one of the best to come out of the west market.

Htown

The fakenime look of it. Not that it will matter if the story is great in which case I'm sure I will get over it eventually.

Like I said, I had the same reaction at first before I watched it.

Watch it anyway. The animation is fantastic.

FYC

Banned
Think my favorite is Regular Show. Haven't watched it in forever though.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

I've slowly been chipping away at this. I liked season 1, but I find myself bored with season 2 so far(Skrull Arc). Would you say it gets better?

I totally get where you're coming from. Before I watched the show, I felt the same way. However, while at first glance it may seem like the product of the cynical anime-pandering that animation studios and comic publishers were doing in the early 00s, Avatar actually does a remarkable job of setting itself apart visually from all of the other "Americanime"-style media of that era. It has its own strong, cohesive art direction that exists independently from the fakenime look. It's not really the type of art direction that you can appreciate from screenshots and clips alone; rather, you kind of soak it in as you move through the series and see it all come together.

In the artbook for the show, the lead art-guy/co-showrunner (his official title escapes me), Bryan Konietzko, is very much aware of the fact that he is an "outsider" when it comes to the anime/manga art-style, and at one point, he explicitly states that he's not very good at emulating it. And honestly, if you look at shots from the series, that's not exactly hard to see. It's clear that the safest and most inoffensive (maybe even boring) style was chosen for the series. But as you watch Avatar and see the art style in context, you kind of realize that that's the point; the plainness and relative nondescriptness of the style allows the art direction to take center stage. Avatar doesn't expect to get anywhere on the strength of its art style, nor does it attempt to (though that's not to say it should be completely forgiven for looking generic). The fact that it looks like anime is almost irrelevant. It doesn't try to *be* anime; it doesn't try to *be* Japanese; it doesn't fetishize this art style in order to appeal to some rapidly-growing contingent of consumers. It simply uses it to convey the art direction; it uses it as a means to an end.

(or maybe I'm just full of shit and have Stockholm-Syndromed myself into apologizing for Avatar's art. lol)

Though seriously, I think you'll manage to look past it or come to like it. I was a gigantic weeaboo when I first watched Avatar and came in wanting to hate it so much because it was American, but it ended up stealing my heart. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom