• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best cartoon after Avatar The Last Airbender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Adventure time, no question. Show has more depth and character development in 11 minutes than most shoes do in 42.
I am at times so captivated by what Adventure Time gives away in bits and pieces just slowly revealing the Land of Ooo, I just love it. The lore actually feels very rewarding in its own way.

The GOAT

Freakazoid.jpg

Veelk

Banned
I think people severely overrate season 1 of Korra. True, it doesn't shit itself until the grand finale unlike season 2 that just wallows in it's own filth beginning to end. But the fact is that you have to take the season as a whole, not segment out individual moments that might have been good if things had gone another way. So, in the end, Amon talked a good game, but turned out to be a pathetic hypocrite defeated by the dumbest plan Korra could come up with, Bolin has no reason to exist, Mako is like if he was written by a deranged fangirl who insists Zuko should have ended up with Katara, and Korra ends up a very unlikable protagonists that gets powers she never earns for no reason. Tenzin is utterly useless as a mentor, and this even continues into season 2. Asami is the only character that we can even remotely argue was well written. At the time, we forgave that stuff because we assumed it'd lead to something better, but it never did.

genjiZERO

Legend of Korra isn't good?

Probably it's just overreacting fans.

I haven't seen it yet (I'm waiting for it to finish), but of the people I know who have seen it all of them think it's totally solid.

I wouldn't expect it to be as good as the first series - that's a once in a lifetime event. Seriously, is there another Western animation that is able to carry characters, story arch, and quality of animation, coherent and developed world, realistic artwork - and do so in a unironic and universal way, and does so without superheroes? Serious question - I can't think of any. To me, it's in a league of it's own. It's a little unfair to expect Korra to beat it or even do as well.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Why has nobody mentioned Teen Titans? That show was magical. Just thinking about the action and the characters makes me want a great Teen Titans fighting game.

There are tons of other western cartoons on par with the A:TLA OP.
Bravest Warriors
Rick and Morty
Adventure Time
Steven Universe
Samurai Jack
Regular Show
Powerpuff Girls(Before McCracken left)
(Genndy Tartakovsky's)Star Wars: Clone Wars
Invader Zim
Boondocks
This list goes on, and on.

Edit:The New Mickey Mouse Shorts by Paul Rudish are excellent as well. I wish it was actually a tv series. It really breathes new life into Mickey, and pals.

SykoTech

By after, do you mean created after or in general?

Created after: Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, TMNT 2012

In general: A bunch.

Legend of Korra isn't good?

Art and animation are good, music's nice, and Asami and Lin were entertaining characters (Book 1 only).

Everything else....not good.

Book 2 in particular was garbage aside from a few bits of fan service and the Wan episodes, and even those had issues.

Trey

I think people severely overrate season 1 of Korra. True, it doesn't shit itself until the grand finale unlike season 2 that just wallows in it's own filth beginning to end. But the fact is that you have to take the season as a whole, not segment out individual moments that might have been good if things had gone another way. So, in the end, Amon talked a good game, but turned out to be a pathetic hypocrite defeated by the dumbest plan Korra could come up with, Bolin has no reason to exist, Mako is like if he was written by a deranged fangirl who insists Zuko should have ended up with Katara, and Korra ends up a very unlikable protagonists that gets powers she never earns for no reason. Tenzin is utterly useless as a mentor, and this even continues into season 2. Asami is the only character that we can even remotely argue was well written. At the time, we forgave that stuff because we assumed it'd lead to something better, but it never did.

Nah, LoK is actually pretty decent. Fun stuff, stupid more often then it should be, hits familiar avatar notes every now and again. Had a lot of potential unrealized, though - it could have been a lot better. Two more seasons to see if the writers have what it takes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Are we talking about dramas? Cause if you add comedies... Well cartoons have a shit ton of good comedy

Mariolee

Adventure Time and Rick and Morty are the first two I can think of.

Agreed. This is like the entire Korra thread condensed into a single post. It's fine to thoroughly enjoy the show inspite of these faults, but people who like it shouldn't act like we're crazy and that the faults aren't there.

jasonng

You were the reason why I read past Korra threads. I hope you know that. Korra was just not fun to watch because it never did the things that made ATLA so successful. Even stood alone the series is mediocre at best.

The first season of Korra is eleven really great episodes. Unfortunately, it's a twelve-episode season, and that last one takes a huge, messy shit all over the other ones and kills the entire universe so hard that the showrunners had to do something completely different for season 2.

I still wish they'd go back to the story threads they introduced for Book 1. Amon's whole deal was pointing out
how unfair it is that half the people in the world are born with amazing superpowers and the other half miss out and just have to live shitty, miserable lives. It's a conflict that the Avatar, a.k.a. person with the bossest powers in the world, is uniquely unsuited to resolving, and it made for a great struggle for hotheaded Katara who just wants to fight all the time. Then Amon pulls some waterbending out of his ass, the downtrodden non-benders immediately forget their plight, Katara spends all of four seconds dealing with not having powers
and everyone forgets all their conflicts in time for Book 2: Hey Let's Fight Spirits Or Some Shit.

The first season of Korra is eleven really great episodes. Unfortunately, it's a twelve-episode season, and that last one takes a huge, messy shit all over the other ones and kills the entire universe so hard that the showrunners had to do something completely different for season 2.

I still wish they'd go back to the story threads they introduced for Book 1. Amon's whole deal was pointing out
how unfair it is that half the people in the world are born with amazing superpowers and the other half miss out and just have to live shitty, miserable lives. It's a conflict that the Avatar, a.k.a. person with the bossest powers in the world, is uniquely unsuited to resolving, and it made for a great struggle for hotheaded Katara who just wants to fight all the time. Then Amon pulls some waterbending out of his ass, the downtrodden non-benders immediately forget their plight, Katara spends all of four seconds dealing with not having powers
and everyone forgets all their conflicts in time for Book 2: Hey Let's Fight Spirits Or Some Shit.

Yeah, basically this. I LOVED the first 11 episodes of season 1. Thought they were amazing in terms of premise and execution. Then the ending happened, which was rather bad. However, I was able to forgive it slightly because it was originally supposed to be a mini-series.

Season 2, though. Wow, that was terrible. Beginnings was the only redeeming quality of the season, the rest was just pure garbage, terribly written with a WTF ending that I don't think any who watched was able to decipher.

Hopefully 3 and 4 will be better, but I doubt it if the writing continues the course.

1. Batman TAS
2. Avatar: The Last Airbender
3. Spectacular Spider-Man

These three are my holy trinity of cartoons. However, if Teenage Mutant NInja Turtles (2012) keeps it up then it could trump any show on that list.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The way people talk about it, you'd think Legend of Korra was the worst cartoon ever to hit American TV.

In reality it's pretty solid. It has fantastic voice acting, music, animation, and design. The action scenes are fantastic, the world is interesting, the style is great, and it's totally worth watching. It's not perfect; there are a couple dumb plot twists, and Korra herself was fucking insufferable during the first half of the last season, and sometimes it's frustrating because it feels like they're so close to something amazing.

Persona7

Banned
why is cartoon network the number one channel I watch

the only time I am not watching cartoon network is when shows like adventure time and johnny test are on

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Cartoons kind of fell off for me after the earliest 2000s. Besides the occasional show on adult swim, It's kind of sad what they air on cartoon network/nickelodeon these days. last good kid shows were probably the fairly odd parents, the grim adventures of billy and mandy.

GCX

Gravity Falls

Every episode is crafted with love and art and animation are top notch.

Cartoons kind of fell off for me after the earliest 2000s. Besides the occasional show on adult swim, It's kind of sad what they air on cartoon network/nickelodeon these days. last good kid shows were probably the fairly odd parents, the grim adventures of billy and mandy.

Nah, there are many quality cartoons airing right now.

Gorillaz

People heavily exaggerate the hate for Korra.

To be honest even Avatar didn't hit it stride in season 2, and it's highest point in the show was the entire Ba Sing Se arc. Lead up to the end of season 1 is the only thing that is close to it but even then that's pushing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom