• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best cartoon after Avatar The Last Airbender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulloDEC

K4K.gif

Can't believe we were nearly off the first page before someone mentioned it. One of my favourite shows, animated or otherwise.

AniHawk

my favorites right now are rick and morty and gravity falls.

really sobering to realize that avatar: the last airbender is almost ten years old. or to think that when avatar was first airing, it was only ten years removed from pete and pete and rocko's modern life.

jph139

I've slowly been chipping away at this. I liked season 1, but I find myself bored with season 2 so far(Skrull Arc). Would you say it gets better?

Not really, unfortunately. Thanks to executive meddling the second season is generally a lot blander than the first - still a solid show, and there are some good episodes there, but nowhere near the peaks that the first season had.

tumblr_inline_n2ad7l3XQf1qgp297.jpg

All around excellent cartoon, and personally the best animated incarnation. It starts to fall apart in Season 4 (although it still has good stuff), whereareas Season 5 is just bad.

Acrylic7

Nothing is as good as Avatar. Its pretty much the one of the greatest series ever and I'm including series that aren't animated.

But there are some good cartoons out there like
-The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Bobs Burgers
-American Dad gets me laughing sometimes, way better than Family Guy.
-Gravity Falls, really good show
-Rick and Morty is absolutely hilarious

The only show that was coming close to Avatar quality was Symbionic Titan so yeah fuck Cartoon Network.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nQLiq3PkG8

url

genjiZERO

I never thought I'd hear this be said about a Genndy Tartakovsky cartoon. :p

There's something about Western character designs that has always seemed weird to me... it's like everything is made either intentionally ugly, silly or too out of proportion. It's so blocky looking. I wish they'd just draw things more "naturalistically". Japanese art direction doesn't bother me though, and it has a stylization all of it's own. It's hard to explain exactly.

I felt the same about Tron uprising at first. Their legs are most of their body mass after all.

But both shows don't let it detract from the main portions. TCW especially improves as it goes along, but its held back by poor dialog and some weak (or silly) story arcs, which is why I didn't mention it. Otherwise, at least on the animation front, it is one of the best to come out of the west market.

Well, with all the positive remarks my interest meter has gone off. Everyone talks about how good it is, and I did quite enjoy the movie. I'll put it on the queue for the summer.

There's something about Western character designs that has always seemed weird to me... it's like everything is made either intentionally ugly, silly or too out of proportion. It's so blocky looking. I wish they'd just draw things more "naturalistically". Japanese art direction doesn't bother me though, and it has a stylization all of it's own. It's hard to explain exactly.
I get what you're saying.

What you're describing is the UPA/Modernist flat style that originated in the 50s(Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.) It's usually used because it's rather easy to draw, and that makes it easy to animate for television. Also a lot of modern animators grew up watching UPA looking stuff thanks to Hanna-Barbera, and that influence stuck with them into their careers.

I personally really love the style. I think it can look rather gorgeous, and I love how it allows an artist's designs to be really out there. However, I can see it being off putting to some. Especially if you really like 2D Disney films, Ghibli films, and anime. Those three things tend to be pretty "naturalistic" when all is said and done.

KingK

I've probably watched all 3 seasons of Avatar at least 8 times. A lot of episodes (like the entire stretch from "The Library" to the finale of season 2) I've seen well over a dozen times. I pretty much watch the whole show at least once a year. Not only is it my favorite animated show, it's likely my favorite show in general.

Adventure Time is probably the best cartoon out now, imo. I would say that's in the same league as Avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom