• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the oldest meme you remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it counts as a meme, but I remember this site called Bertisevil.com that had a bunch of pictures of Bert from Sesame Street doing evil shit.

That badger song.

I HATED that song.

Jesus, just thinking about it got it stuck in my head.

BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER MUSHROOM MUSHROOM

But, like, modern memetics? Demotivational posters and Advice Dog.

There we go.

Rickroll
All your base
LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYY Mmmmm JEEEEEENNNNNNKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh, and;

Peanut-butter-jelly-time.gif

Breads

Banned
Not going to mention things like gang signs or schoolyard myths... but actual internet memes.

For me it's the goon's call sign.

DO YOU HAVE STAIRS IN YOUR HOUSE?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It's not the earliest meme I can remember, but I've always had a soft spot for Leekspin: http://leekspin.com (2006 meme). Mostly because it was one of the first memes to have an effect in the real world but also because it paved the way for the monstrosity that was rickrolling. A good harmless yet destructive meme!

Trance

Some combination of All Your Base, Numa Numa, and Rickroll.

It never took off as a meme, but I used to loooove that How To Kill A Mockingbird book report flash animation.

besada

Banned
Godwin's Law, probably. One day on Usenet, no one had heard of it, the next someone was dropping it in every conversation.

Pre-internet, there was Murphy's Law and all it's infinite iterations.

Does anyone remember watdog.gif? It was a staple GAF gif back in the day, but I can't even find it now.

iirc, it was a golden retriever photoshopped onto some kind of kitchen appliance, bobbing up and down while "wat" flashed in random places on the image.

There may have been an earlier incarnation - a still image - but I don't remember what it looked like.

We used to draw this on all kinds of things (back in the 80s) and I don't think any of us knew what it actually was.

I grew up assuming it was a symbol for the local state university because everyone just refers to the school as 'State'. But then I learned it exists like everywhere.

geardo

That dumb ass dancing baby meme. That was in the nineties still I think. The first one that I enjoyed was all your base which was early 2000's if I recall correctly.

KonradLaw

nRLG0.gif

This damn Milka add from early 2000s :D. It had the phrase "and the groundhog sits and wraps them in silver" in polish that sentence sounds a lot funnier and it went into everyday language as descpription of something ridiculous. It's still widely used, despite the fact that milka chocolate no longer gets wrapped in silver :D

Or better yet, the oldest memorable one you remember. We all remember the dancing baby bullshit.

Mine: Dschinghis Khan - Moskau

http://youtu.be/BQAKRw6mToA

Wait what?
Those are just funny catchy songs, not memes. I always thought meme is something that was born from internet media or the culture surrounding, those two songs were born in a society were internet was just being born or not even there yet.
I dont think just being super popular makes you a meme, if not spanish summer songs from the 90's wouldnt be songs, they would be memes, and that was never the case. The word meme internationally wasnt even use until 2 or 3 years ago.

DiscoJer

Monty Python quotes

You could not play D&D without people constantly quoting Monty Python.

Knights that say "Ni"

European or African Swallow

Run away, run away.

Get the holy hand grenade.

Vorpal Bunny!

Wait what?
Those are just funny catchy songs, not memes. I always thought meme is something that was born from internet media or the culture surrounding, those two songs were born in a society were internet was just being born or not even there yet.
I dont think just being super popular makes you a meme, if not spanish summer songs from the 90's wouldnt be songs, they would be memes, and that was never the case. The word meme internationally wasnt even use until 2 or 3 years ago.

Via Wikipedia:
A meme is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".

It's not limited to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom