• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the oldest meme you remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Star-Wars-kid.png

Metal Gear Solid 2 taught me what memes are but I go with all bases are belong to us.
I learned it from Warcraft 3 and saw it frequently in forums and I had no idea what it meant :(

Spectone

Maybe not a meme but

I remember in high school the maths teacher had found some graffiti which was the letters INXS. He went on this rant about who would write these letters and what did they even mean. Most of the kids laughed at him.

Jakten

Aside from the Stussy S, Probably some early 90s Canadian PSA memes like 'Don't ya put it in your mouth' or 'Some people say that I eat too many chocolate bars or don't wash my face.' Basically all the early Canadian nostalgia memes that most Canadians seem to know

Aside from the Stussy S, Probably some early 90s Canadian PSA memes like 'Don't ya put it in your mouth' or 'Some people say that I eat too many chocolate bars or don't wash my face.' Basically all the early Canadian nostalgia memes
I smell burnt toast!

Wait what?
Those are just funny catchy songs, not memes. I always thought meme is something that was born from internet media or the culture surrounding, those two songs were born in a society were internet was just being born or not even there yet.
I dont think just being super popular makes you a meme, if not spanish summer songs from the 90's wouldnt be songs, they would be memes, and that was never the case. The word meme internationally wasnt even use until 2 or 3 years ago.
Memes are not at all an Internet creation. The Internet just made more people aware of the word, along with a flawed understanding of what it means.
Deep cut

KonradLaw

Monty Python quotes

You could not play D&D without people constantly quoting Monty Python.

Knights that say "Ni"

European or African Swallow

Run away, run away.

Get the holy hand grenade.

Vorpal Bunny!

DnD and Monthy Python quotes and you didn't name "just a fleshwound"? SHameful:D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The word meme internationally wasnt even use until 2 or 3 years ago.

I'd say 4chan was one of the outlets that made many aware of the term 'meme' and that site is over 10 years old now.

But the term itself was coined in 1976. We could have celebrated 40 years of meme this year!

Accoun

I remember it more like this, where the 'ends' of each side of the S look like they're wrapping around to connect in the back:

xkzjJrH.png

I used to staw long braids (even with corners) that way. I had no idea there was a symbol like that, until now.

nRLG0.gif

This damn Milka add from early 2000s :D. It had the phrase "and the groundhog sits and wraps them in silver" in polish that sentence sounds a lot funnier and it went into everyday language as descpription of something ridiculous. It's still widely used, despite the fact that milka chocolate no longer gets wrapped in silver :D

Plus some of the Heyah mobile operator ads (and later some of the early Mumio ads for Plus), as far as ad-related memes go.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In regards to the Super S, I've noticed that one thing that is never consistent is how people finish it. Some leave the ends open, while others draw a line, either diagonally or horizontally.

Cedric

Only one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Salad Fingers. I don't know if it counts as a meme really, I only remember "I like rusty spoons".

Krejlooc

Banned
I really hate this one.

The video was put out without the kid's knowledge or consent. He was goofing around with a camera not expecting anyone to see. He was reportedly traumatized deeply by the ordeal.

He accidentally filmed over his highschool's basketball team's scout tape, hence how it was discovered.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
How is Dschinghis Khan a meme?

Anyway, all your base, and the mr t. ate my balls

Edit: OH YEAH HELLO MY FUTURE GIRLFRIEND THIS IS WHAT I SOUND LIKE

Zombine

Banned
"It is the year of 2005-"

"Wuts yer name?"

"My name is Wolfman Bean-and I here in Illinois is gonna fuckin show you how this shit is done."

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I liked how not a lot of people used to be able to make gifs, so if you knew how to make them and gifed something funny, it would spread like wildfire.

Gifs used to be special, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom