• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the one thing Nintendo can announce at E3 that would make GAF explode?

Gears isn't a Microsoft IP.

Ratchet & Clank isn't a Sony IP.

Seriously, the rules people make up to push the 'Nintendo doesn't make new IPs' line.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nope. Because the IP wasn't created by Microsoft, it was created by Epic who sold the IP to Microsoft. It still wasn't a new IP by Microsoft, sorry. Also, Nintendo didn't create Wonderful 101 or Sin and Punishment, nor did they develop those games. They simply published the games.

So The Last of Us isn't a Sony IP, nor is Uncharted or inFamous, Sly, Jak and Daxter?

I mean fuck, by that logic, Halo isn't a Microsoft IP.

So basically, Sony and Microsoft aren't any better than Nintendo when it concerns making new IPs.

WE'RE ALL FUCKED!

Gears isn't a Microsoft IP.

Ratchet & Clank isn't a Sony IP.

Seriously, the rules people make up to push the 'Nintendo doesn't make new IPs' line.

Did Microsoft do Gears of War or did Epic? Epic created and developed it, Microsoft published it. The question wasn't has Nintendo purchased/published new IP's. The question was has Nintendo done any new IP's.

So The Last of Us isn't a Sony IP, nor is Uncharted or inFamous, Sly, Jak and Daxter?

I mean fuck, by that logic, Halo isn't a Microsoft IP.

So basically, Sony and Microsoft aren't any better than Nintendo when it concerns making new IPs.

WE'RE ALL FUCKED!

Is Naughty Dog owned by Sony and therefore a Sony developer? Yes? Ok.
Is Sucker Punch owned by Sony and therefore a Sony developer? Yes? Ok.
Did Microsoft buy Bungie before Halo was released and therefore Bungie was a Microsoft developer? Yes? Ok.
Is Platinum Games a Nintendo developer? No? Ok.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Did Microsoft buy Bungie before Halo was released and therefore Bungie was a Microsoft developer? Yes? Ok.

Well Nintendo is not really into buying studios these days, so what can I say? If the criteria is to own the studio, then I don't see a whole lot of new IPs from Microsoft and Sony these recent years either. Japan Studio has quite a few under its belt but otherwise, nothing comes to my head.

EDIT: Oh and The Order and The Last of Us.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ruling out "Wii U canceled" or "we're going 3rd party", mostly I can think of:

- New Metroid Prime by Retro
- Something about Zelda U that widely impresses western core gamers.
- Outline plans for 3DS successor with hints of how the new unified architecture will affect future home consoles.
- major Japanese exclusive, such as an original Persona RPG (not Persona 5) exclusive for Wii U.
- Redesigned, smaller Wii U gamepad bundled with dramatically cheaper system, like $175 in combination with a number of truly massive previously un-revealed 1st party games.

Or they could just say Mother 3 is coming to GBA virtual console in english and crash the entire gaming internet.

Anything TBH. GAF is obsessed with Nintendo, either obsessive fanboy love or obsessive fanboy hate. No matter what they announce there will be either a massive thread of hype or a massive thread of 'IS DOOMED'.

Pokémon The MMO
Platinum Games doing either Star Fox, Metroid, or F-Zero (or a combination of them sine they lie in the same universe)
Zelda (Future themed Zelda)

Difference between DEVELOPED by and PUBLISHED by. Manufacturers don't get credit for an IP that was created and developed by a third party. Sorry.

And Steeldiver? Really? You do realize it wasn't a brand new IP... right? And if that is an IP you want to put your hat on then have at it...

I'll give you Wii Sports, Nintendo Land, and Wii Music. The only one that was actually a quality new IP was Wii Sports. Yea, Nintendo sure has been releasing new IP's...

Sony had Infamous, Last of Us, Uncharted, and others for the PS3. They already have announced a couple more for the PS4. Nintendo?

So yes, I'd love a new IP for Nintendo to be announced. One that was actually quality and required a bit more investment than what they've done of recent with new IP's.

Nintendo almost always have developers working on games they publish, at least in some capacity. Regardless, however, this definition of internal vs. external developed is asinine, because in some cases internal devs have an idea get a 3rd party to develop it (Style Savvy) or develop an idea in conjunction with a 3rd party (Dillion's Rolling Western), funded on the company's dime. For all intents and purposes published is all that should matter.

All Nintendo has to do is show strong first party support with surprising effort that was not expected from the folks at GAF.

Nintendo must build up new fans/bring back old fans in order for their next console to have any chance.

E3 2014:

F-Zero GTX Titan (call it whatever, but a new game pls)
Star Fox U
Metroid Prime 4 (another game perfect for the Gamepad)
Zelda HD
Eternal Darkness 2
Shenmue 3
Resident Evil 7 Exclusive
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Pokemon mainline RPG Wii U only, with some MMO elements for addiction
Dragon Quest XI Exclusive

I think that could surprise a few.....

Wastwood

Neo Member
Demostrating with Gameplay/Video that zelda U can reach Skyrim Levels of Epicness and at least reach the tech demo in the graphics department.

Tease a new metroid for 2015.

New F Zero by Sumo/SEGA, and a honorable mention of more HD Classics.

P.D

Honestly, this could make the wii u one of my favorite nintendo consoles.

We got windwaker HD, now we´re getting zelda U.

2015: Metroid prime trilogy HD. and then New Metroid.

2016: Mario galaxy 1+2 HD and then New Mainline Mario Game.

KAAABOOM!

I think the title should've been what could Nintendo realistically announce at E3 to make GAF explode. Because tons of these answers like "Cancel Wii U" are correct, even if they're not going to happen.

Realistically, they could just spend most of their time on the QoL thing. That'd garner some negative response. Certainly from me.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but... Nintendo announces that they've made Platinum Games a First Party dev, and then proceed to tell us that their first game as a united company is Okami 2 - directed by Kamiya / overlooked by Eiji Aonuma - and utilises the gamepad so you can draw circles and such with ease. I would crumble into a teary puddle.

fedexpeon

Banned
Nintendo: One more thing...we proudly want to announce that we will be partnering up with Sony to create a new line of product for the next generation of consumers.
Sony has been a great player in the medical industry with their technology and equipments.
However, both Nintendo and Sony realize that improving the QoL for patients are also an important aspect of advancing the medical industry to another level. Right now, Japan has the highest rate of elderly per capita, hence why we believe this partnership will be a successful one in the long term.
We hope that we can improve a lot of patient's life in Japan, and then later to other countries.
Thank you for your time.

GAF: WTF! SONY+NINTENDO!! for the next couple of pages, but then the true will destroy GAF...

Colombo

Being more open to 3rd parties
Creating an 1st party development team that is solely for helping 3rd parties get stuff going on Wii U
Goldeneye sequel, proper dark/modern Zelda, a good Metroid
Going five minutes without mentioning Mario
An improved Wii U controller (with no screen)

I would be happy with just the first!

Ridley327

Sucker Punch created Sly Cooper and inFamous long before they were bought out. By your logic, those don't count.

Rajack

F-Zero GX HD with completely redone visuals, track editor and competitive online. 1080p and 60FPS locked. This fall.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Betrayalton would strike where it hurts the most - in the heart of the Sony-fanboys - and it would make gaf explode with hype, gifs and meltdowns. It would be glorious.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Did Microsoft do Gears of War or did Epic? Epic created and developed it, Microsoft published it. The question wasn't has Nintendo purchased/published new IP's. The question was has Nintendo done any new IP's.

So this means Ratchet and Clank is not a Sony ip as well right? Also, Xenoblade was made by Monolith which is Nintendo owned, so should therefore fit your criteria, or is there something I dont understand here?

Into

Anything Nintendo does gets a lot of hype here, at least from large enough of people to make it seem monumental, so Mario bumper sticker, easter egg of Link's hat in Mario Kart U, Link's Crossbow Training 2: The Revengeance, Iwata holding a watermelon, New Super Mario Bros 2k15, a Princess Peach card game, etc.

But for me: Wii U discontinued, Nintendo going third party. But on a more realistic side, showcasing Zelda HD or a real sequel to Mario 64 or Galaxy 3.

Realistically,
  • they can reprice WiiU and/or 3DSL
  • they can announce a SEGA game that people are waiting for years to come to PC on WiiU or 3DS.
  • they can announce a real digital platform/social network, including moving/merging old systems like friend codes, etc.
  • they can announce a new 2DS this time completely a tablet.

Top Bottom