• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the one thing Nintendo can announce at E3 that would make GAF explode?

geordiemp

A decently powered home console that can handle next gen third party games like Battlefield without sweating.....

Until they do then they are dead on arrival in the home console space..

HUELEN10

Do we know if Nintendo are having a conference this year or another direct?
We don't know. Last year, Nintendo made the announcement in late April. I guess we will see in a few weeks. After all, they have to let the press know of their plans ahead of time, right?

Synth

New F Zero by Sumo/SEGA

I love Sumo... but they've been so consistently 30fps on consoles, that I wouldn't want them going anywhere near a new F-Zero. If they're making a game for Nintendo, the usual quick fix of "buy the PC version" won't apply.

Mojojo

Nintendo somehow gets the Dragon Quest franchise from Square Enix :
- Smash Bros character reveal :Slime.
- DQ7 released at the same time on E-shop.
- Trailer for DQ11 3DS.
- DQ8 HD and F2P version of DQX for the West, WiiU exclusives

Let's try to add some positivity here... while trying to be realistically optimistic.

Ahem...

Xenoblade Chronicles HD for summer/winter 2014,
Super Mario Galaxy 3 announcement for 2015
Legend of Zelda announcement for 2015
X release date for Christmas 2014/Q1 2015

Nintendo doesn't appear at e3. In fact, they shut down all operations and go out of business. Hundreds of thousands of jobs are lost. Japan's economy takes a dive and the game industry loses traction. The world ends.

NEO0MJ

They don't really have to do much, I mean most E3 conferences cause gaf to explode. Even directs crash gaf. Though gaf will probably be down for like an hour once Zelda is shown.

Some games that weren't targeted to the younger crowd... Bayonetta 2 was a good start.

This is one of the silliest arguments I hear. Does being a game meant for all ages really makes a it targeted at the young?

Hermii

Unprecedented partnership with Sony. Closing down all their hardware departments and start making exclusive content for PS4.

3bdelilah

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Age of Defiance

Takes place (way?) before Skyward Sword, when the surface was still full of life. It tells the story of the ancient tribes, but interestingly in a different perspective. "The Five Kingdoms" were at peace, until some self proclaimed goddess called Hylia marches from the neighbouring lands with her followers, and tries to usurp the throne. You are {a name that is not Link}, who will ultimately be known as
Fierce Deity
. Tagline: "there are two sides of each story".

Of course Nintendo can fill it in way better than me, but I'd literally piss my pants if there's a Zelda from a different perspective that would display The Royal Family as not the great heroes they've been displayed as thus far. But that's just me.

Synth

This is one of the silliest arguments I hear. Does being a game meant for all ages really makes a it targeted at the young?

I hate to say this... but often it does, yea. It's similar to making family movies, the creators are limited to creating content suitable for their younger audience, which often comes at the expense of the older audience. This isn't even just limited to the themes, it also has a tendency to affect things like difficulty. F-Zero doesn't work very well as a game targeting the younger crowd, as many of them would simply be unable to play it properly. Meanwhile all that hand-holding stuff people complain about in Skyward Sword? Finishing recent Mario games with 200+ lives in stock? Yea.

Boss Mog

A new handheld would have me excited as long as it was gimmick-free and at least Vita-level hardware-wise. They should totally bring back the Gameboy name; that name still carries a ton of weight with gamers that grew up on GB. GBC and GBA.

They might be able to get it to Gamecube/Wii level and if so I can only imagine the glorious ports we'd get: F-Zero GX on handheld with online play would be godlike.

Boss★Moogle;108619086 said:
A new handheld would have me excited as long as it was gimmick-free and at least Vita-level hardware-wise. They should totally bring back the Gameboy name; that name still carries a ton of weight with gamers that grew up on GB. GBC and GBA.

They might be able to get it to Gamecube/Wii level and if so I can only imagine the glorious ports we'd get: F-Zero GX on handheld with online play would be godlike.

A bit too early for us to see new hardware, specially a portable one. We might see one in a couple of years, but introducing one this year would be a dire mistake I think.

Zalman

Let's try to add some positivity here... while trying to be realistically optimistic.

Ahem...

X release date for Christmas 2014
/Q1 2015
These three are probably going to happen. I don't think they'll do Xenoblade HD, at least not yet. They would do the Mario Galaxy games before that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
A decently powered home console that can handle next gen third party games like Battlefield without sweating.....

Until they do then they are dead on arrival in the home console space..

You seem to be under the impression that power is the only reason for the lack of third party support. It really doesn't matter how good the hardware is. They still wouldn't get the major third party support of PS4 and XB1.

StuBurns

Banned
There's no single piece of news that would bring GAF down for a week of course, even MS buying Sony and Nintendo and closing them down wouldn't do it, and GAF is going to be a mess at E3 anyway, so setting aside the criteria of the OP for something more reasonable, is there one piece of news Nintendo could announce at E3 that would completely change the current perception of Nintendo on GAF? Obviously going third party would do it, buying Valve would do it, the new Zelda being QoL exclusive would do it, those kind of things, basically, things that will not happen.

MDX

Nintendo present their next phase of their hybrid console.

Nintendo will introduce an attachment that will
transform the WiiU Gamepad into a portable gaming console.

This small attachment will allow you to store
and play, on the go, their Gameboy library of games.

UrbanRats

There's no single piece of news that would bring GAF down for a week of course, even MS buying Sony and Nintendo and closing them down wouldn't do it, and GAF is going to be a mess at E3 anyway, so setting aside the criteria of the OP for something more reasonable, is there one piece of news Nintendo could announce at E3 that would completely change the current perception of Nintendo on GAF? Obviously going third party would do it, buying Valve would do it, the new Zelda being QoL exclusive would do it, those kind of things, basically, things that will not happen.

As i said in the GTtime thread: Announcing a console Pokemon, too.

As likely as them buying Valve, i guess.

The Legend of Zelda: In Space. Following on the Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass/ Spirit Tracks timeline, Hyrule has invented rocket ships. Armed with your trusty Master Photonblade and Space Boomerang, you have to battle Space Ganon and this is easily the worst idea I've ever had.

Ahem...

X release date for Christmas 2014/Q1 2015

What? You mean Nintendo threads don't have to devolve into snark and vitriol? *shock*

Seriously though, I think this is a nice list of realistic announcements. The only one I'm not sure of is Xenoblade HD. As much as I would love that, I don't see it happening.

Hex

Banned
DQIX WII U with simul Japan/NA release and an NA release of DQ X for WII U in the mean time with a bundle.

StuBurns

Banned
As i said in the GTtime thread: Announcing a console Pokemon, too.

As likely as them buying Valve, i guess.
I think if it was like a generation beyond Ni no Kuni looking, and evoked that sense of wonder Pokemon did initially, maybe, but I think if we ever see a proper console Pokemon game it'll just be exactly like the handheld ones, that same overhead old school view, it'd look nicer of course, but it wouldn't be what everyone wished for back in the N64 era.

I think it's a shame Nintendo weren't first out the door with some sort of consumer grade VR, because Pokemon VR would literally sell ten million consoles.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Skyrim esque Zelda. Consequence, decisions, open world exploration, the whole deal.

Will buy the system just to play this.

Blueblur1

A change in policies first and foremost. Admitting that they should have more games and should have better 3rd party relations. (And behind the scenes give 3rd parties incentives to develop for their platform.) and announce more games. Kick off a new marketing campaign that highlights current games and upcoming games (put Smash in a TV commercial; who cares if it's months away!). Advertise the Virtual Console and put A LOT more games on it.

^None of that is too crazy or too hard. But it requires them to have an open mind and do some hard work. Too things I'm not sure Nintendo wants to do.

Hermii

A change in policies first and foremost. Admitting that they should have more games and should have better 3rd party relations. (And behind the scenes give 3rd parties incentives to develop for their platform.) and announce more games. Kick off a new marketing campaign that highlights current games and upcoming games (put Smash in a TV commercial; who cares if it's months away!). Advertise the Virtual Console and put A LOT more games on it.

^None of that is too crazy or too hard. But it requires them to have an open mind and do some hard work. Too things I'm not sure Nintendo wants to do.

The third party stuff would be pretty hard. About the only thing that would bring over third parties would be a new console that basically copies the PS4 architecture and is more powerful, so third parties could run their code on it with as little investing and tinkering with the code as possible.

Below are a couple of completely nonsensical things that would burn Neogaf.

Nintendo announces Wii U+ with an AMD APU with integrated LatteX in hybrid crossfire with Latte added along with dedicated RAM, sold as their premium console. Nintendo first party titles to be available on both models, but with better post processing and resolution on the premium. Third party support listed as a feature of the premium model.

Nintendo, Valve, and IBM take the stage. They announce a Nintendo/Valve merger. Steam coming to Wii U and Nintendo first party games coming to NinSteam OS. IBM announces new socketed chips for NinSteam OS builds.

Edit: Half-life 3 Wii U/NinSteam OS exclusive.

Xilium

GAF is a forum full of gaming enthusiast and hardcore Nintendo fans so it honestly wouldn't take much. The announcement of just about any Nintendo 1st party game or exclusive 3rd party niche darling will make GAF explode.

As far as the gaming public as a whole is concerned, either the impossible has to happen and some major 3rd party franchise becomes Nintendo exclusive (COD, GTA, AC, ect.) or they announce a new system that is comparable or better than other current gen consoles/Vita.

Danis

Neo Member
If they were going to release a new console, it would need to be 100% BC with the Wii-U. Nintendo invested a ton of money into the first party software over the last 2 years, and it can't be abandoned with only a few million consoles to play them on.

Seik

Banned
Crono from Chrono Trigger and Shulk from Xenoblade announced for Smash in the same trailer.

Earth will tremble.

Kandinsky

I honestly think if Nintendo announced a piece of hardware that was 50% more powerful than PS4/Xbox One, had all their games as well as their own exclusives and was $100 cheaper with free online..no fucks would be given either.

That is the sad reality, and hence why Nintendo has to exit the console business and become a handheld only company, that or go third party, they just can't compete against the big boys anymore.

Takes place (way?) before Skyward Sword, when the surface was still full of life. It tells the story of the ancient tribes, but interestingly in a different perspective. "The Five Kingdoms" were at peace, until some self proclaimed goddess called Hylia marches from the neighbouring lands with her followers, and tries to usurp the throne. You are {a name that is not Link}, who will ultimately be known as
Fierce Deity

Of course Nintendo can fill it in way better than me, but I'd literally piss my pants if there's a Zelda from a different perspective that would display The Royal Family as not the great heroes they've been displayed as thus far. But that's just me.
Or maybe we could go with something like the "Message of Majoras MAsk" Theory

A prequel explaining Fierce Diety and Termina and MAjora would be amazing, I just don't trust Nintendo to make that their first game on their console

The again though, they HAVE surprised me before

Fierce Deity

So my immediate reaction to that synopsis was : "That sounds awesome!" but after a little more though, I think it would not work as a Zelda game. There are great games that deal with moral ambiguity and intrigue, but Zelda has never been that series. Sure in some of them there have been side characters that are more complicated than "good" or "evil" - and Link's Awakening is a rare example of a game with no true villain - but Link and the royal family have always been on the side of good, unquestionably. Link rises from humble beginnings, defends the weak (his involvement in the NES Zelda is entirely due to defending Impa from monsters even though he was unarmed at the time), supports the strong and defies evil in all its forms.

I think there is room for games with gray areas in their character's motivations and allegiances, but I think it's also OK to have some games where there is a clear cut line between good and evil, and where you're always on the side of right.

Just like it's OK to have anti-heroes like the Punisher and it's also alright to have a paragon of virtue and justice like Superman. When they try to shoehorn angst or moral ambiguity into someone like Superman, it just misses the point of the character and the story suffers as a result. I think it'd be the same with a Zelda game like you've described.

UrbanRats

I think if it was like a generation beyond Ni no Kuni looking, and evoked that sense of wonder Pokemon did initially, maybe, but I think if we ever see a proper console Pokemon game it'll just be exactly like the handheld ones, that same overhead old school view, it'd look nicer of course, but it wouldn't be what everyone wished for back in the N64 era.

I think it's a shame Nintendo weren't first out the door with some sort of consumer grade VR, because Pokemon VR would literally sell ten million consoles.

I think, if they weren't lazy about it (lazy = Overhead with shinier graphics) it could have a big impact still.
I mean, surely more than a Zelda at this point.

A new Pokemon on handheld can still create a big hype machine and some pretty impressive sales, so i think there's still that itch to be filled, for a full "AAA" Pokemon on home console.

I always considered it their ultimate megaton, to be honest, and if there's a moment when they need one, it would be this.

Top Bottom