• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst fit of gaming rage you've ever had?

Super Meat Boy - Tons of moments. They end up being tremendously satisfying rages, though.

Halo Reach - Solo on Legendary. Those Elites sure are a lot more difficult to fight than the Brutes in Halo 3. I had my ass kicked so many times it's not fun...

I have no stories of broken controllers, though. I might be a bit too stingy to do that. I just don't see any point in breaking things for the sake of it.

I mostly get the rage from games that I feel are cheap or unfair but too fun for me to give up. Games that have seriously pissed me off:

Zelda 2: Adventure of Link (jumping over the lava when fireballs are coming at you)
F-Zero GX (impossible-ass game)
Motorstorm series (retarded rubberband AI bullshit)
Halo 3 (by far the slowest, worst gameplay in the series)
Halo Reach (only because I can't party up with my friends because of mysterious network issues)
Donkey Kong Returns (fuck you Retro, your co-op sucks ass)

All of these games have induced vein-buldging red-faced madness in me.

Mr. Sam

Trunchisholm said:
Halo Reach - Solo on Legendary. Those Elites sure are a lot more difficult to fight than the Brutes in Halo 3. I had my ass kicked so many times it's not fun...

But when Reach's brutes show up, you're so battle hardened that you go through them like a knife through butter. How it was for me anyway.

Cornbread78

GraveRobberX said:
In the KZ3 Beta

Some GAF members tried to party up, it was broken, but we tried our best to play together or against each other

The problem arose for me was my team was being base camped, with 4 fucking Mechs @_@!

I was slippery and could get out here and there, but some GAF members were just grieving, for grieving sakes

I spawned 6 times in a row to direct multiple rockets right at my spawn
(Hell I even delayed it, but the barrage was non stop)

I got super upset, rage quit, never played BETA again, played well over 20+ hours during the 3-4 days after initial release but that night something in me snapped, and just said fuck this

This situation was the reason that whole beta was an udder joke, it was just a spawn campinf session for one team of teh other. GG better have fixed that shit....

Mr. Sam said:
The OP's story reminds me of my brother. One instance that always jumps to mind is when he beat me - physically, not at the game - after I danced rings around him in the original Fight Night. I just slipped every last one of his punches until his guy was so exhausted I knocked him out in one quick flurry. He went apeshit.

My personal story is when a friend of mine was abusing Rey Mysterio's possum pin on Smackdown vs. Raw 2008. I absolutely destroyed him time after time but he would constantly pull off a cheap win with it. It was basically a pin and a finisher rolled into one. Finally, I hit my finisher on him, went for the pin and... possum pin.

I spat on my TV, unplugged my Xbox, beat it with a shoe and then threw it out of my room.
Holy SHIT! :lol

Cornbread78 said:
This situation was the reason that whole beta was an udder joke, it was just a spawn campinf session for one team of teh other. GG better have fixed that shit....
:lol it's "utter"

not like cow udders

Probably worst ever:
Operation Flashpoint 1 - After an 45 minute mission, badly wounded crouching through grass only to finish the last enemy and BAM he headshots me at first sight -> Keyboard was broken after that (but it had taken some hits during the whole game, so it probably was a slow process of the keyboad dying :D ).

Recent examples:
Gran Turismo 5 - Nürburgring Formula Cup.... All 20 rounds I was first place, then, last round, last curve (literally, LAST FUCKING CURVE) I spin out and everyone overtakes me. I was SO raging. But I finished first in the cup overall, so that calmed my rage soon after...

And I often rage at competetive Online games, but I never destroyed another Keyboard / Controller etc., they are just too expensive to destroy them out of rage ^^

orion434

This didn't happen to me but I witnessed it:

My friend was playing through the Ice Cave in the original Final Fantasy and everything in the game was pretty much easy at this point. Then he ran into 4 Sorcerers, he had the message speed set to 8 and they had Premeptive Strike... all you saw was 7-hits... slain... 6-hits... slain. Then he got his turn with his last character and he tried to run... slain...

He had the top-loading NES and he ripped the cart right out, threw it down on the floor then Axe-kicked it and it broke into pieces. Then he took the board inside and started bitting it... the whole time his party was slain on the frozen screen :lol

Mr. Sam said:
But when Reach's brutes show up, you're so battle hardened that you go through them like a knife through butter. How it was for me anyway.

Yep, that's right. Piece of cake. A couple of hits to the head -> Helmet off. Another hit -> Dead brute. Killing an elite... that's a whole different story. Even sniper rifles seem like bb guns when fighting agains them. They have a ridiculously strong shield and they immediately run into cover when they are off.

DMeisterJ

Banned
It was summer of 2001, I was playing some horrid game called Tai-Fu, Wrath of the Tiger or something like that. And there was some impossible platforming part that didn't work because of fucking awful camera control that I found impossible to beat. I never really liked the game from jump, so I took the game out of the disc and then proceed to destroy it. I scraped it on the hardwood floors to scratch it beyond existance, I bent and broke it in 1/4ths, and then I threw it away (After I peed on it, iirc).

Don't judge me.

mjc

I don't think I've ever raged to the point of getting violent. My younger brother has, though. I was watching him play Ninja Gaiden and he got to a point of frustration where he punched a giant hole in the wall of his bedroom. Needless to say, it was hilarious to see him scrounge up some drywall material to try and patch the hole before anyone found out.

rayner said:

My friend was playing through the Ice Cave in the original Final Fantasy and everything in the game was pretty much easy at this point. Then he ran into 4 Sorcerers, he had the message speed set to 8 and they had Premeptive Strike... all you saw was 7-hits... slain... 6-hits... slain. Then he got his turn with his last character and he tried to run... slain...

He had the top-loading NES and he ripped the cart right out, threw it down on the floor then Axe-kicked it and it broke into pieces. Then he took the board inside and started bitting it... the whole time his party was slain on the frozen screen :lol

I can't breathe! :lol :lol

Wired

Can't say I remember any specific game but back during the SNES days I can recall getting really pissed off when playing Street Fighter, me throwing controllers at the wall was a fairly common occurrence. Thankfully I grew up and stopped having these outbursts, the fact that controllers nowadays are fucking expensive and somewhat more fragile might have helped though :D The worst it gets now is me simply turning the stupid game of and taking a break :p

rayner said:

:lol Good stuff.

DireStr8s

warhawk : 500+ hours, 3 broken controllers, 2 rage deletes off my HD, 1 snapped disc

still play it all the time; i am now at peace with my mediocrity.

see5harp

I just broke a relatively newish 360 controller in a heated game of Risk Factions. The worst part is that I'm a grown ass man and I was playing against the COMPUTER. I swear to god those dice be cheatin though.

rvy

Banned
ScOULaris said:
We've all been there. Coming so close to finally completing some segment of a game after having retried countless times over and over, only to make some small mistake and be forced to start the process all over again. Everyone who has been playing games since at least the 8-bit era has reached their breaking point at some point and completely lost their shit. Oftentimes, something expensive gets broken in the wake of their unbridled fury.

Now, I personally don't have too many stories to tell (I'm pretty even-tempered), but I always love hearing gamer freakout stories. We've all seen videos of kids going absolutely apeshit over a game, but let's just stick to personal stories in this thread.

Since I have to provide my own example to start us off, here's the worst one I can think of:

I was either a junior or senior in high school, and my little brother was watching me play some game on the PS2. Unfortunately, I can't remember what game it was. What I do remember is my brother (he's nine years younger than me) laughing hysterically every time that I screwed up and had to restart whatever task I was trying to accomplish in the game. His incessant laughing combined with the frustration of having to redo this thing for the umpteenth time caused me to snap. Without even batting an eye, I threw down my controller as he was in the middle of yet another fit of laughter and punched him full-force right in the gut. That's right. I, an 18-year-old man, socked a fucking nine-year-old right in the breadbasket. It knocked the wind out of him so badly that I thought I had killed him. It took him nearly a full minute to recover. Needless to say, I felt incredibly guilty.

So yeah, while most people break controllers when they're angry, I punch children.

What's your story?

Like a Boss.

Was playing Tekken 4 and I had just bought a new dualshock controller at the time. Got to where I had to fight Heihachi and he cheated his ass off. I slammed the controller several times until it broke into pieces.

Leunam

An old friend of mine was pissed that he couldn't beat the last boss in the first Xenosaga so he took out the disk and snapped it in half. Wasn't even his copy.

nickslicl said:
warhawk : 500+ hours, 3 broken controllers, 2 rage deletes off my HD, 1 snapped disc

still play it all the time; i am now at peace with my mediocrity.

600+ hours and 2 broken controllers for me. And one weird freakout where I screamed "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" like a dying banshee with my window open, I still wonder if my neighbours heard that

zsswimmer

ScOULaris said:
Without even batting an eye, I threw down my controller as he was in the middle of yet another fit of laughter and punched him full-force right in the gut. That's right. I, an 18-year-old man, socked a fucking nine-year-old right in the breadbasket.
wander-face.jpg

JeTmAn81

There is a hole shaped exactly like the butt of a drumstick in one of the walls downstairs at my house. One too many attempts at "Don't Fear The Reaper" on Rock Band.

MechDX

Playing Ultimate MK3 on the Saturn with friends back in the day. Had a friend that used to do the "pussy kick" constantly. The one where the character falls backwards resting on their hands and kicks one leg upward. Does very little damage but nearly impossible to defend. After doing it a couple dozen times I threw the damn controller backwards for some reason. It pulled the Saturn out of the e center and it dribbled on the ground like a basketball.

Picked it back up, placed it back in its home and it fired right up. After that we made arulle no pussy kicks allowed.

Glix

This one dude I knew in high scool attacked his brother during a game of football on Genesis. It was either Joe Montana or a Madden game.

The younger bro had figured out how to recover the onside kick, like 90% of the time, and the third time he did it, his older brother just flat out attacked him and beat on him relentlessly.

Not two bros messing around, but a full fledged brawl. It was awesome.

D6AMIA6N

Haven't raged in seriously years. I mean I will swear out loud, but that is pretty much it. However, back when Gameday for the PS1 came out I recall a specific instance of physicality, violence and rage.

I was in a franchise with the Tampa Bay Bucs. For some reason during one game, one game dammit, I lost my starting quarterback, Trent Dilfer, and two staring running backs, John Alsott, and Warrick Dunn for the entire season. To top it off, it was like the game was rubber banding, in that I was dominating the whole game, but during the fourth quarter had like 5 fumbles, etc., and suddenly the other teams offense was unstoppable. Needless to say my controller did not survive, and I can to this day remember my Mom yelling downstairs to me to shut up. I was probably like 18.

Mareg

ScOULaris said:
Now, I personally don't have too many stories to tell (I'm pretty even-tempered)

That's right. I, an 18-year-old man, socked a fucking nine-year-old right in the breadbasket.

Ok first, I wouldn't say you are even-tempered. More like "keep it inside until epic out off control knuckle down a kid yoh".

The worst case of /rage gaming was on the PSX playing Wipeout XL. It nearly cost me a long time friendship and probably the respect of friend's parents.
I was in junior high and at the friend's house playing that cursed game. Eventually, after trying the same damn race ever an ever again I went progressivelly into a stage of utter rage. My rage induced state causes me to CURSE very LOUDLY. The friend's parents, that night, had invited some of their friends. The loudness of my curses became so strong that everyone in the house eventually became aware that there was a mentally unstable being in the basement. Took three verbal warnings and then a physical intervention by my friend's father before I was finally physically removed from the controller.
I remember being strongly scholded for the whole situation. I couldn't look them in the eyes for a long time afterwards. They were dumbfounded as I was usually a very calm kid.
My friend, while being midly annoyed by the whole thing finally got over the fact. Took a long time before I got invited back to his place tho :p.

Waaaaaaaaaay back in 1991, I once destroyed my Game Boy's LCD screen.

I accomplished this by beating the handheld against my forehead. Hard. And repeatedly. The screen looked like it was crying. Then I gave it another headbutt. It looked like it was bleeding. One final headbutt, and I was bleeding.

The game that caused me to lose my shit?

Wizards and Warriors
6.jpg

FUCK THIS GAME IN THE EAR AND FOREVER

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A friend of mine punched me in the head after a particularly unfair Mario Party session. He landed on some square that fucked up all his stars and he just lost it. That game destroyed friendships. Personally I've never got that worked up over any game. I just turn it off if it starts annoying me.

Well, the most pissed off I've ever been at a video game was at the first Viewtiful Joe. I'm no controller smasher, but I am guilty of slamming it into the couch over and over during that stupid Lion boss near the end. Tame, I know, but I'm not a particularly heated or violent dude.

If I can include other games though, I came as close as I ever have in my life to throwing a punch during a bowling tournament match in high school. :lol Dude on the other team was being the biggest prick ever, insulting the other players of my team because he was better than them and just all around being an ass. My friend who was on my team will say to this day that I looked more pissed off at that moment than he has ever seen me in his life. Over Bowling. Sad, really.

ErbilT

Virtua Fighter 4

While squeezing a PS2 controller as hard as I could, I cracked the controller after failing a challenge.

God of War. God mode. Kratos clones fight.

So. Much. Rage.

I finally beat it after a billion tries and the power goes out during the cutscene.

So. Much. More. Rage.

I think I remember crying hysterically for about a minute, but then I just unplugged my PS2 and slept until like 4pm the next day. Skipped school.

MC Safety

ScOULaris said:
. I, an 18-year-old man, socked a fucking nine-year-old right in the breadbasket. It knocked the wind out of him so badly that I thought I had killed him.

You are a terrible human being.

Anyway.

I was playing one of the Aki wrestling games for Nintendo 64 against a co-worker, and I was simply crushing him.

This dude was mentally unstable, the kind who simply cannot handle losing. And this was a grown man, mind you.

He got so upset he grabbed my controller and threw it down. And, in the process, his hoary, gross, and never-cut nails tore into my hands. We're not talking scratches here. We're talking real cuts.

He apologized, of course, but I told him that he had real issues. I mean, when you're in your 30s or whatever and you're working for InQuest (a magazine dealing with all kinds of games, for chrissake), you really should be able to handle the concept that you're not always going to win.

rpgb46

Dying during the first form of Metroid Prime in the first game for umpteenth time. I remember actually screaming FUUUUUUUUUUUCK down the house. I was monumentally pissed. Came back to it a month or two later and did it on my second try, this remains one of my most satisfying moments in gaming. Also Metroid Prime became my best game ever.

As far as multiplayer goes, I have thrown controllers in frustration of losing, especially to my older brother but that was over ten years ago.

Fucking hell OP. How old are you now? At 18 punching a 9 year old is pretty fucked up, I just hope this wasn't a recent thing.

I've never quite gotten the gamer rage thing. I don't throw controllers or break stuff, I'll probably just start swearing and persevere or take a break to clear my head then try again.

Pai Pai Master said:
God of War. God mode. Kratos clones fight.

So. Much. Rage.

I finally beat it after a billion tries and the power goes out during the cutscene.

So. Much. More. Rage.

I think I remember crying hysterically for about a minute, but then I just unplugged my PS2 and slept until like 4pm the next day. Skipped school.

:lol

I used to be really bad with rage until recently when I calmed the hell down. The worst i've had was playing MW2 on Veteran. I "calmly" threw my ps3 controller over my shoulder and it hit my mirror. Didn't break!!!!

Blair

Banned
My friend headbutted his laptop screen because of a football manager game. He didn't tell his parents how it happened, but paid to fix the smashed screen in a suspiciously guilty fashion.

Also, my dad tore a table to pieces because he died on the last level of Alex Kidd, causing me and my sister to run upstairs and hide for the rest of the day. He has never played a videogame since that day.

Trick_GSF

Banned
I bit my pillow yesterday and swore a few times while playing Enslaved on hard, on the end boss.

I'm hardcore like that.

Shiv47

Stories from olden times: When I was probably 13, I was playing Winter Games on my Commodore 64, and one of the events was pissing me off so badly I screamed in rage and slammed my joystick down on my desk so hard it broke off a chunk of desk above where the desk screwed together, this being one of those shitty particle board desks. My dad came in and said "What the HELL are you doing?" I kept playing though.

In real world game rage, during fourth grade we often played four square (living the high life, we were) at recess. This one kid got me out a couple times in a row, and he just irritated the living shit out of me with this snidey laugh. Finally, it happened again, and he proceeded to laugh at me again. Now, this gym ball we were using was about the size of a volleyball, and it was pumped to max capacity, so it had some real bounce. As he stood there laughing, the ball was bouncing between us, and in a moment of blind rage I kicked it straight off the side of his head. He fell to the ground stunned, and I said to him "Not so funny now, huh, dipshit?" One of the recess ladies came running over to send me to the office, and I went off gladly.

D6AMIA6N

Mr. Sam said:

So true, it would be almost a relief to see them rather then an Elite Zealot. 10 brutes? No prob. One elite Zealot, oh shit....

Nose Master

Was playing vanilla SF4, lost to a flowchart Ken. Grabbed my (used pad at the time) pad by the cord and whipped it against a chair like a flail. Separated from the cord and flew across the room.

Didn't feel as good as I'd hoped. :lol

Way back as a kid I got beat by my Commodore 64 in Chess.

I hurled it against the wall.

Thought I broke it for good but turned out all I had to do was replace a fuse inside.

More recently I smashed my Rock Band guitar after repeatedly failing on a song. It was dying anyway and I got a superior GH5 guitar after.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Holy shit, OP. You punched a nine year old in the stomach. What the fuck is wrong with you?

That said...well, NBA Jam (PS3) is the first game ever to make me actually punch my TV screen. Thankfully I've got one of those flat screen SDTV's, so the screen is like an inch of glass. Oh, and this was yesterday, mind you. Fuck that game's AI. Seriously, fuck it.

Also, Jivatma on King of Fighters: Maximum Impact 2 is the only boss to ever make me actually break a controller. Though I think it was mainly because the previous night I had been up for 24+ hours, everything was a blur, and somehow I managed to beat him repeatedly without losing once. Then I come back the next day, all well rested and shit, and get my ass kicked. :lol

But really, I punch walls and other hard things quite often. Video game related or not. Yeah, I've got some anger issues.

Star Ocean 2, PS1. Final boss. I couldn't beat him. Grinded for a dozen hours. Still couldn't beat him. Tried a few more times, no luck. I got so angry that I popped out the disc, took it outside, and bludgeoned it with a sledgehammer. But I still had a problem: the game still existed in REALITY. So I finished by burning all the shards with a lighter until there was nothing left but ashes. The stench was horrendous but I sure felt a lot better.

Most recently was Kirby's Epic Yarn over my winter vacation. Those who say the same is easy or for kids hasn't tried to 100% everything. It came time to fight
Meta Knight... spoiler?
and trying to do that without getting hit once? Kirby isn't exactly the most maneuverable character ever. Pure evil. I took my jacket that was laying beside me and whipped it into the floor as hard as possible. My sunglasses were inside one of the pockets and got smashed. Kirby = serious business.

Absinthe

Two words: TRIALS HD

We all picked this up on xbla, and would religiously play it together every night while in party chat. One night the shit talking became to much and I started getting personal and so did my buddy. During the vile conversation i raged, left the party, deleted the game, hurled the controller across the room, and shut off the console. I have never played that game since and I'm not sure I ever will if it's going to affect my friendships. My buddy and I went without talking for a month. Were cool now though.

Top Bottom