• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst fit of gaming rage you've ever had?

Hyunkel6

The worst I do is yell at my TV when I miss a jump in platformers such as splosion man or super meat boy. I never take it out on a person or an object. I don't mind cheap deaths in competitive online FPSs, but for some reason, twitch platformers bring the worst out of me.

Ezduo

Banned
As a kid it was trying to beat Gruntilda in Banjo-Kazooie. Activating the Jinjo statues wasn't obvious to me because they didn't seem to react from me shooting eggs into them. I thought I had to do something else but nothing worked and after a couple of hours of failure I broke down crying. Dad thought it was pretty funny.

In a more recent sense, the second to last mission (No Fighting In The War Room) in Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare on Insane difficulty pissed me off like nothing else. It was near the end where you fought through two missile silos with enemies pouring out from every God dammed direction (basically the first 2 minutes of this video). You poke your head out for two seconds and get turned into swiss cheese so you have to be really careful about moving forward which is incredibly aggravating because: a)you're on a time limit which makes you want to hurry and b)Call of Duty's bullshit infinite spawning enemies means you have to make a run for it lest you waste all your time shooting the same two respawning individuals. I wanted to fucking break the game in half. I cursed and stomped around enough for a lifetime and swore that if I ever met the man responsible for that area I'd kick him square in the balls with enough force to make his children feel it.

Wrekt

People without brothers ITT. My brother is 12 years older than me and getting punched in the stomach over trolling him was like a daily occurrence.

In fact I remember my brother playing the original Zelda and he had finally made it to the end of the game. I kept insisting that it was my turn to play the NES and his response was "I have to go to work in like 10 minutes. I'm about to beat the game and then you can have it for the rest of the day." I responded the only way a 5 year old knows how: slam on the reset button. I got my ass kicked and deserved every second of it.

I didn't have a younger brother to troll me so I stay pretty calm when I game. The worst was probably when I was trying to complete Don't Fear the Reaper on expert drums in the original Rock Band. If you've never played RB drums, the red pad and the bass kicks count for more of the crowd reaction than the other 3 pads and that particular song has a seemingly endless roll of red pads with bass kicks thrown in. After playing it like a thousand times and failing as soon as I could see the end of that section, I flipped out. I slammed my foot down on the bass pedal and snapped it in half and simultaneous slammed my drum sticks down on the red and green pads which also broke one of my drum sticks in half.

I played Green Grass and High Tides on expert guitar an equal number of times but that song owns so it never bothered me. But the mix of shitty song + hard/cheap part made me hulk smash in Don't Fear the Reaper.

I don't really get rage, as I'll just quit a game and never look back if its too annoying.

But recently? The COD: Black Ops campaign. Just about every aspect of that campaign rubbed me wrong and pissed me off, from the idiotic and useless friendly AI, the singleminded player hunting tunnel vision of the enemy AI, the endless hallways with shitty cover, the unexplained objectives in some missions, to the overly hand-holding objectives in others, to being forced to stay close to teammates that run directly into the line of fire, to the bullshit timed objectives, to the glitches that required me to restart levels, to that fucking APC shooting gallery and Nova Gas section near the end game, to the useless yelling of "You're getting shot!" by my so called allies, to the QTE insta fail Spy Plane mission, to the... OK, I'll stop now, my blood pressure is going up.

Fuck that game. Fuck it to hell.

Jtrizzy

I've broken quite a few controllers over the last 25 years of gaming. I've calmed down a lot though, and have only broken one this gen...too expensive.

Elite Beat Agents. Hard Rock mode. Jumpin' Jack Flash. Last verse of the song. Hand cramp. utter failure

....my ds is now held together with gorilla glue.

Phenomic

Haven't ever broken anything despite sometimes wanting too. For the most part I just mildly scream to myself. I sometimes grab like a ink pen and chuck it somewhere just to release some anger but I wouldn't ever throw anything breakable or large.

jmdajr

I've never broken anything or hurt anyone ever while videogame raging.

I think one time I punched an arcade cabinet :lol I was losing a lot of quarters :)

Outside of that it's mostly coach slapping and extreme obscenities.

ScOULaris

PumpkinPie said:
I called my Mum a cunt when I was trying to complete DRIV3R...fucking game scarred me forever.
:lol :lol

That story is better for it's simplicity. We're left to fill in the details ourselves.

Edit: I'm assuming you're British (use of the word Mum). Isn't "cun't" slightly less offensive over there than it is in the States? If I ever called my mom a cunt, she'd be dumbfounded with anger.

Einbroch

Banned
Do you people not have siblings?

I remember one time my brother pulled out my controller during a Mario Kart race. I was so pissed I smashed his face with the N64 controller. Knocked out one of his teeth and blood went everywhere.

It's not like he hasn't done the same to me. He's broken my finger and jammed a fishing hook through my hand out of rage.

Hole in wall =
ewj2-6.png

X26

Banned
Einbroch said:
Do you people not have siblings?

I remember one time my brother pulled out my controller during a Mario Kart race. I was so pissed I smashed his face with the N64 controller. Knocked out one of his teeth and blood went everywhere.

It's not like he hasn't done the same to me. He's broken my finger and jammed a fishing hook through my hand out of rage.

Things could get bad when my siblings got impatient waiting for their turn at super mario world/DKC, the snes controllers made for a pretty vicious flail

only zombies ate my neighbours co-op brought peace

Celcius

°Temp. member
I usually don't rage, but back in november I was trying to play oblivion on my new gtx 480, but the shadows were messed up and for some reason the machine would reboot randomly. I don't know why, but I got so mad I put the game back in its case, drove to a random neighborhood, and threw the game down someone's green trashcan. The next day I found out that my problems were being caused by my video card's drivers. I installed the drivers that came with my gtx 480 and the problems instantly stopped. I wish I had never thrown it away...

When I was a kid, I had a hard time unlocking the last characters in 1080 snowboarding on N64. I finally rage quit and went to bed crying. I didn't play it for a week or two after that.

I almost ragequit a few times while I was playing GT5, but it was too fun to quit. :lol

Visualante said:
OG PS2 breaks. Smash up PS2 with hammer.

I remember one of the races in GTA: San Andreas was pissing me off I slammed my fist on the console and the game froze, the disc got scratched, and my PS2 began to die a slow death. Died a few weeks after that, and got the PS2 Slim Christmas 2005.

My favorite moment is still knocking my Gamecube off the table because Wave Race: Blue Storm was pissing me off. Not only was the Gamecube fine, the game never froze, the disc never got scratched. It was like nothing had ever happened. Isn't the Gamecube a famously durable console though? :lol

Yaweee

Yoshichan said:
Good God GAF, if you only knew...

Actually, those of us that read the SC2 threads do know!

(Don't worry, I understand the RTS rage. I think there's some slight dents in my cheap plastic workbench-desk from SC2).

I threw a friend's SNES controller once, but he deserved it. I was playing a game of Final Fantasy 3 on his cartridge, and one day he shows up and says "Haha, look what I did to your save file!"

What he did:

1) Got me to a far corner of the world on the other side of the one of the one-way boats/Serpent Trench paths
2) Went to the store, bought and sold items repeatedly to completely drain my gold
3) Killed off all but one character
4) Made sure the one surviving character was low health with a bunch of status ailments.

After I threw the controller, he showed me that he just copied the file to a different slot and changed the characters and background before doing everything. I felt bad at the time, but now? He really was an ass.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Shambles said:
:lol at the self righteousness in this thread. Some people obviously don't remember how dumb they were as kids or didn't have many brothers when they were young.

Yeah, but dude was 18 when he did it. That's...kinda different.

ScOULaris said:
Ah, man I didn't even think about Street Fighter. I can guarantee you that the BP system in SFIV online has resulted in some broken joysticks/controllers/dreams. Watching those numbers dwindle when I'm having an off-day makes me wanna punch a child... Oh, wait. I already did.

Okay, I admit it, I laughed. :lol

ScOULaris

Man, the stories that end in the player crying out of sheer rage are the best. I just imagine some teenage gamer curled up in a ball on his bed with angry tears rushing down his face. All the while, visions of whatever game pissed him off are replaying over and over in his mind.

Slamming my wired 360 controller on floor after losing a game in SF4 PC(fucking shitty 360 D-pad) 360 pad broke in half, I now have to go through the hassle of getting my xbox S controller to work with a PC game...

The only time I get salty is playing MP game.....never, never, has a single player game made me upset...their are boss battles I wouldn't want to do over on a harder difficulty, but they never got me mad.

One of my brothers (2 years younger than me) was in my bedroom once while I was playing a game with a friend, he was deliberately teasing me about my suckage and physically intefering with my playing... I can't remember what game it was, but this was PlayStation one era, I was probably about 14 or 15... anyway, I said "you need to get out now, its not funny anymore" and he carried on. I took it for a while, and then in the end I just grabbed this lightsabre (that he'd made out of K'Nex) and smashed it into bits over his head. I think I might have kicked him as I chased him out of the room as well.

These days I'm much more chill - but one more recent moment that did cause near blinding rage was when I was playing Luigi's Purple Coins on Super Mario Galaxy. I'd taken my Wii with me back to my parents just so I could play this game, and on the whole I enjoyed nearly every minute... but this level. Man, I must have died about 40 times in succession. I was beginning to get physically agitated -- which of course, was making me die even more... I paused the game, did some breathing exercises and after calmly collecting myself un-paused the game, determined to beat the bastard. There I am -- I'm nailing every flip and every jump. I collect all of the coins, about half of the level's platforms have disappeared and the star appears back at the beginning of the level. My mother walks into the room and stands directly in front of the TV -- "what do you want for dinner?"... I just look at her in shock and in the background I hear Mario wailing as he plummets to his death. My hands were physically shaking, my rage was building to boiling point... it took all of my effort to calmly put down the controller and respond to her in a civil fashion. Although I did complain she'd made me die for about the 50 millionth time.

Crystalkoen

Friend of mine was playing Def Jam Vendetta one day on his Gamecube. He gets to the Ludicris fight in single-player, and keeps getting his ass handed to him. After the first few, he starts an ever-rising pile of expletives, culminating in him winging his Wavebird controller around the room... literally. It ricocheted off 3 walls (~8x11 room) before landing on the floor in 4 pieces (batteries, battery cover, controller)... he put it back together and it worked perfectly fine afterward.

For me, the 2 that come to mind are Odin Sphere and Diablo 2. For Diablo 2, one of the boss rooms (Duriel) required separate loading from its base zone prior to one of the later patches, and it always took 3-10 seconds for the room to load when you entered it... more than long enough for the boss to kill you, the guy that came in after you, and the guy after that. First time it happened, I'm thinking "no biggie, room's in memory". 8 times later in the same sitting, I put a hole in the wall in front of me. Easily my worst time of game-induced rage. A week later, they patched it to load the room beforehand, so it was up instantly when you entered.
As for Odin Sphere, I got to the end of the individual stories... started fighting a boss and spent an hour on him. Could NOT figure out the trick to fighting him (later found out there wasn't one, you just had to put up with his bullshit), and he felt cheap as fuck (an artificial difficulty factor that I despise). Said screw it, turned off the game and returned it to the friend I borrowed it from. Have not even thought of playing it in the years since, and seeing its case at a friend's house always brings a sneer to my lip in disdain.

Multiple deaths from the first boss from Lost Odyssey.

My initial target was to throw the controller out of the 2nd story window. Sanity kicked in just in time and I managed to hold on long enough to hit the arm of the couch. It bounced so hard that it hit the cieling.

Oddly enough, I'm zen calm while dying over and over again in the Ninja Gaiden games.

And I don't blame the OP. I wouldn't have hit the kid (nor have I ever hit anyone out of anger like that) but I sure would have wanted to. We're all human and make mistakes.

WEGGLES

I've gotten mad at games before, but usually it's a "rrrrragh fuck this" as I alt-f4 out of a game or shut the xbox off... but for some reason Matriarch Benezia from Mass Effect 1 got my goat bad and I couldn't quit... I HAD to beat that fight....

I ended up throwing my controller across the room and it broke... :[

I'm still embarrassed.

N4Us

The only time I've ever tossed a controller was when I was trying to beat I-No in Guilty Gear XX using Dizzy. That sucked. Thankfully I managed to beat her after a few more tries.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
When I was a kid my bedroom was right next to my parents room.
Anyway, one afternoon I was playing Max Payne on PS2 in my room.
I don't know what happened, but I got so fucking angry and I ripped the controller out of the Playstation and turned around a kicked a hole through my wall and through their wall.

I still don't know how I didn't get in trouble.

One time in Doom3 I was playing really late at night with headphones on and had my face pressed against the monitor. I could hear one of those skeleton dudes taunting me and I was super creeped out, anyway I go through a door and right as the door opens it's right there FACE TO FACE. I fucking freaked out and fell out of my chair and dove on to my futon.

Jtwo said:
When I was a kid my bedroom was right next to my parents room.
Anyway, one afternoon I was playing Max Payne on PS2 in my room.
I don't know what happened, but I got so fucking angry and I ripped the controller out of the Playstation and turned around a kicked a hole through my wall and through their wall.

I still don't know how I didn't get in trouble.

One time in Doom3 I was playing really late at night with headphones on and had my face pressed against the monitor. I could hear one of those skeleton dudes taunting me and I was super creeped out, anyway I go through a door and right as the door opens it's right there FACE TO FACE. I fucking freaked out and fell out of my chair and dove on to my futon.
Fear.

I stopped taking my rage out on video game accessories as a wee lad. I did a lot of controller throwing when I was little but those NES pads could withstand a nuclear blast so it was all good. Everything else was too fragile for me to risk breaking.

My "moment of clarity" was raging at something in Vice City (don't even remember what it was now). I had the wherewithal not to damage the controller (the PS2 wasn't even mine) but I was SO pissed so I ran into my room and planted a swift, hard kick low on the wall. Unfortunately that part of the wall turned out to be a nothing but a quarter-inch-thick sheet of drywall, resulting in a "dent" about two feet in diameter. After that I've kept strictly to choice curse words and an occasional pounding on an armrest.

Instro

Im not prone to rage that much, at most its usually some expletives or a couple good swings at a pillow or couch. I've certainly never broken anything, even on a game like F-Zero GX or Contra or w.e. Multiplayer games bring it out a bit more rage in me.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I forgot to mention the day my dreamcast died. The laser quit reading disks and I was already having a bad day. I unplugged the system, took it to my garage, and repeatedly gave it "the people's elbow". When my rage was done, I threw it down my trashcan. :lol
My cousin still laughs every time he hears that story. :lol

edit: Some of these stories have me in tears laughing

Deadman

I borrowed a fighting game called Psychic force on the ps1 when i was 8/9 from my friend. You were in this box in the sky and you flew around fighting, often with magical attacks as well as normal punches and kicks.

There was this one character that could spawn roughly 15 huge knives at once no matter what was currently happening, how far away he was or anything and they would completely rape your health. I tried beating him with every single character but i couldnt do it. I eventually ended up crying i was so angry.

Fuck that game.

30 minutes from beating infinity mode on Dead Rising 1 i walked out of a store with a little health. accidentally got scratched. I was trying to move frank around, as we he was falling backwards. I just sat blankly for half and hour and fell alseep in the chair to wake up an hour later to the death screen. I had to play that shit all over again. Still my favorite game of the generation but...

also Mile High Club achievement and trying to do Portal gold challenges with a controller after i had done some on the pc. Fucking stupid way to play FPS games with dual sticks.

I got so pissed playing COD:MW on veteran that I threw my controller at a couch pillow as hard as I could. The damn thing bounced straight back and hit me right in the face. I made sure nobody else saw it, turned off the game, and never spoke of it again until this thread.

ToxicAdam

Exclamation-One said:
Waaaaaaaaaay back in 1991, I once destroyed my Game Boy's LCD screen.

I accomplished this by beating the handheld against my forehead. Hard. And

I did the same thing with my GBA SP and broke the screen.

GhaleonQ

I don't want to go into it.

1. Virtua Fighter 5 converted me to fighting games.
2. I only play fighting games with controllers to this day.
3. I bought a bunch of fighting video games.
4. I got blisters on my thumbs.
5. I became frustrated with fighting games being really difficult.
6. OOOOOOOOAAAAARGHHHHHHUUEEEEEEIIIIII*crash*

ScOULaris

:lol at the mom standing in front of the TV.

I lived back at home for a few months after college, and my mom got really pissed at me one night. She called me to the dinner table just as I had beaten MGS4. I shouted back to her from across the house, telling her that I would be right there as soon as I finished watching the ending.

The ending went on for 45 minutes...

My mom was pissed and yelling at me the whole time to turn it off and come to dinner, to which I would reply, "God, mom! Just gimme one more second!"

I felt like a kid again at 22 years old. :lol

Granted, I could have just paused the cutscene, but I kept thinking that it was almost over.

Top Bottom