• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst fit of gaming rage you've ever had?

Wallach

chris121580 said:
That was absolutely the best part :lol :lol

No shit, oh my god. :lol

For some reason though I completely lost it on the Trials HD video.

Edit - Holy shit I missed his brother yelling "SONIC BOOM" while he's "practicing" in the background.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
rainking187 said:
Yeah, I just can't imagine someone screaming long enough to pass out without some sort of horrible torture being done to them.
Try this: Run a lap or two around your house. Just enough to get your heart and breathing rate up like you would if you were really angry. Then shout one vowel sound as loud as you can for 30 seconds. If you don't get at least light headed congratulations! You aren't human!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Shouted at screen, slammed fist to table. Not much else besides that. And I sometimes flip off my monitor, too.

Laggy online fighting games probably induces more rage than anything else in recent memory.

ACE 1991

The mother fucking rotating spike columns in the original God of War. I played through the collection last year and after playing through this part maybe 50 times, I threw the controller and punched the couch repeatedly then preceded to finish it one try a couple hours later :lol

chris121580

Wallach said:
No shit, oh my god. :lol

For some reason though I completely lost it on the Trials HD video.

Edit - Holy shit I missed his brother yelling "SONIC BOOM" while he's "practicing" in the background.
:lol He also asks where his swords and nun-chucks are

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
purple cobra said:
I always lift my controller in the air to throw it but like a pulled punch I place it softly on the bed/lap/floor.
This is great :lol

I have had this a few times:

1. Something really annoying happens.
2. Raise fist/controller.
3. Turn towards something hard (closet/wall/etc.)
4. ...
5. Re-think the situation and go back to playing calmly.

Too bad the one time I snapped, stages 1-3 happened in like a split second and I missed the stop for stage 4.

ultron87

The only recent thing that came close was the Cerberus + Satyrs fight at the bottom of the Chain in God of War 3. I was on that shit for 3 weeks or something ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure I dropped my controller a few times out of frustration, but never actually chucked it.

The game itself wasn't helping when it asked me if I wanted to switch to easy mode every 5 times I died. Especially since I was on Hard. At least ask to switch it down one difficulty instead of saying "Hey, don't worry about dying man. Do you want to totally pussy out?"

NIN90

I slam my mouse on my mouse pad (but rather gently. I don't wanna break my mouse) and I hit some of my keys on the keyboard real hard at the same time.

I did break my mouse at work though because I slammed it really hard all the time but some of that shit that happens at my work is really infurating I tells ya.

ultron87

Did none of you people have siblings? Geez, a little rough housing is sometimes needed in order to teach your sibling to not be a dick.

McLovin

I was playing cod4 and some little snot was like "You suck man, wtf you doing playing this game? You're like 40 years old." I was 25, he was like 12. I told him this game was rated mature and its actually for my age group, and that he shouldn't be playing this game. He kept being a dumb ass and I cracked a joke about banging his mom. Right after I said it I was like why the hell am I wasting time talking crap to some random kid on the internet.
I have a little cousin who got pissed at some game and tried to flip the tv :lol he was like 8 at the time.

I've never went into a really bad rage I can't remember the game but after trying like a million time i had finally beat something only to fall off a cliff or something. I've never broken controllers but i've wanted to break certain disks in half at times.

ultron87

Why For? said:
Dude is a fucking gimp.

He was attempting that shit at like level 2 or 3 agility. What a douche. I didn't even bother getting the majority of those agility orbs until I got to level 5 or 6 agility.

Got every single orbs in that game (and the first one), loved it.

But to increase his agility he needs to catch those orbs.

If it's literally impossible to catch them they should be grayed out or something.

jambo

I used to rage a lot playing any UT game. Every now and then you'd just come along someone who'd wipe the floor with you.

I once hit the desk so hard after getting flaked that my PC rebooted.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
As a teenager I threw the disc for Dark Castle out of my bedroom window, and in a spectacular cocktail of red-mist misjudgement and terrible throwing, it boomeranged up onto the roof of the house.

It stayed up there for two years, mocking me like an incredibly pedestrian Edgar Allen Poe story.

Cru Jones

A friend of my brothers used to rage all the time. I remember playing him in fencing in track and field on the NES (I think it was Track and field). I was just about to beat him (keep in mind he is 10 years older than me) and I could barely hold back the smile on my face of finally beating him, when he smacked the controller out of my hand and proceeded to kill me before I could regain control.

That same friend of my brother's was playing one of the Ninja Gaidens on the NES and he had finally managed to make it to the last series of levels. After playing the last stages for quite a few hours, making it to the final boss and repeatedly dying, he was finally starting to make headway. He had learned the pattern of the final boss and was doing a flawless run. Right before dealing the boss the final blow, things went bad, he lost his rhythm and ended up dying (it was his last life and he had to use a continue and in Ninja Gaiden that meant you had to play a series of stages all over again before you could get back to the final boss).

He slammed the controller against the ground in disgust, it proceeded to bounce off of the floor and because it initially bounced away from the console the wire became taut and pulled the controller towards the console. The controller flew towards the console and hit the reset button.

He went ape shit.

Why For?

Banned
ultron87 said:
But to increase his agility he needs to catch those orbs.

If it's literally impossible to catch them they should be grayed out or something.

You can get to about level 5 getting the regular agility orbs and doing rooftop races and killing enemies from the top of building.

You could almost level out without even grabbing one of those.

Dude is an idiot.

chris121580

Why For? said:
You can get to about level 5 getting the regular agility orbs and doing rooftop races and killing enemies from the top of building.

You could almost level out without even grabbing one of those.

Dude is an idiot.
It made for great entertainment. That's all I cared about

Why For?

Banned
chris121580 said:
It made for great entertainment. That's all I cared about

His scream at the end was pretty funny, I know I did that a couple of times, that was even trying to get them at level 5 or 6!

So agonizingly close on so many occasions.

codecow

I was playing WoW when it first came out with some co-workers. We were four manning the instance in Badlands at level and a 37 blue chain bracer of the monkey dropped. Our group was two hunters, a warlock, and a shaman.

The shaman rolled on it and won it.

I literally lost my shit. I slammed my mouse so hard on my desk I broke it.

I was losing my shit for a long time, probably 5 or 10 minutes I didn't say anything on vent because I was raging.

I still work with this person and even six years after the incident in that instance she still assumes (correctly) I have it out for her.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ledsen said:
I've been waiting for this the whole thread (it's true, check the first page) :lol
omg :lol

The question is rather where to start... and do I post pictures or not? :lol

my Irish temper comes out fairly regularly in the form of red-faced cursing, going as far back as the NES days. Only time in those days it turned into a physical act was- of course- fucking Battletoads. Hover-bike level. Probably gave it about 100 attempts. Opened up my second floor window and flung the cartridge out across my yard and into the street. Watching it smash into pieces was about as satisfying as I hoped it would be. Never played that game again.

More recently:
That god-forsaken end part of Heavenly Sword.

Stood up, grabbed the can of beer I was drinking (about 2/3 full) and rugby-punted it. There was a glorious shower of beer and I was stringing together all sorts of nonsense curses, somehow ending with "BADGER FUCK!" That's the one part I remember vividly. :lol

The funniest part with a rage like that is the eventual 'calm down' period and the realization of what you just did. :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
TheJollyCorner said:
Stood up, grabbed the can of beer I was drinking (about 2/3 full) and rugby-punted it. There was a glorious shower of beer and I was stringing together all sorts of nonsense curses, somehow ending with "BADGER FUCK!" That's the one part I remember vividly. :lol

The funniest part with a rage like that is the eventual 'calm down' period and the realization of what you just did. :D

I'm going to start using "BADGER FUCK!" now. :lol

CaptainCamerica said:
Punched a clean hole through my closet door during the final boss fight in Overlord 2, had to hit him one more time after a grueling battle and he killed me, had to do the whole fight over again, terrible final fight.

I punch myself in the thigh sometimes but that's about the extent of it.

Oh, yeah, I do that too. A bit too much, perhaps. >_>

Punched a clean hole through my closet door during the final boss fight in Overlord 2, had to hit him one more time after a grueling battle and he killed me, had to do the whole fight over again, terrible final fight.

I punch myself in the thigh sometimes but that's about the extent of it.

Having just recently played Crackdown 2 (finally, loved the original) I can understand his pain. I chased one for ages at level 2 agility wondering if it was actually possible at my point.... I suffer from OCD so it was terrible, I eventually caught the one I was chasing but decided no more till I was a higher level. (laughs)

The funny thing about his clip is that he became so obsessed over the one he was chasing he just ignores a regular one just sitting there that he passed by lol.

Though I know this isn't my worst bit of rage, but it's my most recent event and was quite pissed. So here it goes.
Recently I've been playing through Final Fantasy IX. I had played it before a long time ago, but never got very far and couldn't remember what I was doing at that point, so I just restarted instead. Fast forward to the beginning of the 4th disc, Since I know I'm close to the end, I decided it was time I start preparing for the fight against the Super Boss Ozma. To get to fight him you need to play a tedious Chocobo Hot and Cold mini-game and get a bunch of Chocographs so that you can enter the Chocobo Air Gardens, where Ozma resides. Also to make the battle against Ozma easier, you have to find a bunch of friendly monsters and give them an item.
So I start my night doing just that, playing with the Chocobo's Hot and Cold games and finding a bunch of friendly monsters. None of this was giving me any actual difficulties, so I thought nothing was going to be. So I had been probably playing for well over two hours or so and had not saved once the entire night.
So I had one more friendly monster to find, so I take my air ship to where he is and get out and start looking, and eventually run into a group of enemies.
Yan-FFIX.jpg

These guys.
I had never seen these guys so I was like, "Pfft, I can take these guys."
But I was dead wrong. They were so fast they never gave me much of a chance to fight. they'd use comet and kill my party really fast, so I was like, "I should probably flee right about now," but the bastards wouldn't give me a chance and annihilated my team. Game over. I just sat there for a good few minutes and then it dawned on me that I didn't save at all, then I just lost it started cussing up a storm, punching the shit out of my couch and then just said fuck it and went to bed. Hours wasted.

So basically I played for a while didn't save and got game over. Not fun, but entirely my fault.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I once was really into WE 2007 (360) and I was top 100 or some shit. I was having an awesome streak of games until some asshole scored on me and then his bandwidth took a shit, and I couldn't adjust to the slow motion. I lost the game and broke my controller in a fit of rage.

Gattsu25

Banned
I was right before the end of the game in the original Zone of the Enders. I came home from school and saw my older brother playing a different game on the PS2, one that required a lot of file space. When he was finished, I popped in ZoE and went to load my save only to find that it had been erased to make room for his large save. He also deleted a few of my other saves but none of his. I got up in his face and he shoves me. (It should be noted that he was always picking on me, around this time, and has shoved me a few times in the past. I never got physical in return.)

He's a solid 6'3" and pretty strong so I went completely off balance. Somehow, in the next few seconds I have him in a headlock with my left arm and am elbowing his spine with my right elbow as hard as I can--over and over and over again. After doing this a few times I realize that I am really fucking hurting him so I let up. He limps his way to the door and leaves without saying anything. He moves out of the house in the dead of the night and we don't hear from him for over a year. All this over the saves of a few middling games.

Yeah...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gattsu25 said:
I was right before the end of the game in the original Zone of the Enders. I came home from school and saw my older brother playing a different game on the PS2, one that required a lot of file space. When he was finished, I popped in ZoE and went to load my save only to find that it had been erased to make room for his large save. He also deleted a few of my other saves but none of his. I got up in his face and he shoves me. (It should be noted that he was always picking on me, around this time, and has shoved me a few times in the past. I never got physical in return.)

He's a solid 6'3" and pretty strong so I went completely off balance. Somehow, in the next few seconds I have him in a headlock with my left arm and am elbowing his spine with my right elbow as hard as I can--over and over and over again. After doing this a few times I realize that I am really fucking hurting him so I let up. He limps his way to the door and leaves without saying anything. He moves out of the house in the dead of the night and we don't hear from him for over a year. All this over the saves of a few middling games.

Yeah...

Sounds like he's the one who overreacted, not you (well okay, maybe you overreacted a LITTLE, but moving out and cutting off contact for a year? Geez).

I also suspect there might have been some other underlying issues, actually.

The_Dude

I usually just grit my teeth and control my rage, but I must admit two transgressions; I threw my controller on the floor playing Dragon Quest VIII and put my elbow through the wall behind me after many attempts to get a gold in the juggling mini-game in The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

Gattsu25

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
Sounds like he's the one who overreacted, not you (well okay, maybe you overreacted a LITTLE, but moving out and cutting off contact for a year? Geez).

I also suspect there might have been some other underlying issues, actually.
Who knows.

He had to go to the doctor a few times and from what I've heard he was walking painfully for a long while.

With that said, I have never punched a wall or even slightly damaged a controller before in frustration. When a game pisses me off that much I just turn the thing off.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I had a friend in high school and I would go over to his house to play Playstation games and man it was funny watching him and his older brother. I remember one part in Tenchu: Stealth Assassins where the older brother had been stealthin' through this level trying not to get seen and a dude saw him and he let out the most epic "hnnnngggaafFFFAAAAAAUUAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhck" for like thirty seconds until his breath ran out with his face twitching and he was turning red and his eyes were bloodshot like he was trying to lift five hundred pounds. Then he had to gasp for breath, yanked on the dual shock so hard it unplugged, stuck the controller's left analog stick in his mouth like some kind of savage and started ripping and biting at it all grunty like grgghrgghrh until the entire rubbery top tore off, spat it at the wall, and spiked the controller into the ground. Then it's like his mentality totally snapped, he started laughing hysterically while me and his little brother just shivered in the corner.

Another time the little brother totally went mental when his older brother would call him "hep-pew" and "pew-hay" which were just total nonsense words. I think we were playing a demo for that Bruce Willis game on the PS1, and the older brother was like "doctor doctor, it's hep-pew!" and the younger one just lost it and they did WWF on each other and I got the fuck out of there.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Years ago, I worked in a juvenile detention center. One day, in the secure room between the two "pods" of delinquents, a co-worker and I were playing Madden on the Sega Genesis. We were brutally excessive shit talkers about our respective "Madden cred" and had been building up to actually playing each other for about 3 months before doing so.

In the closing seconds of a tied game, His Cowboys threw a pass into the endzone and my Eagles picked it off and ran it back like 108 yards to beat him. He was so furious that he punched the first thing he could reach: the bulletproof glass between us and the juvies and he hit it so hard he spiderwebbed it. Of course, the rest of us just fell out laughing at the situation, neverminding the fact that we should not have been playing, particularly when the facility director was in the building. We were both fired on the spot, him with his hand bleeding pretty profusely, still in disbelief at not only losing but at losing THAT WAY, and me, so exhausted and worked up from laughter that I actually threw up on the control panel to the secured rooms which, in turn, shorted the boards out and forced my then ex-coworkers to have to manually lock/unlock every door in the secure area for about 3 days until they could get the control panels working again. To say this was not one of the most epic days in my entire lifetime would be an enormous lie....

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I was guilty of throwing my joystick during my mid teens while indulging on the C64, there was even a period during the Xbox era that I used to keep an old PSX pad next to the chair incase frustration kicked in (no point ruining a current controller, I learnt that over the years).

However, I do have two rather amusing stories........

The Year: 1989
The Plaform; Commodore 64
The Game; 4th and Inches.

We had a fairly even game of vs of this prehistoric gridiron game and the time was ticking down in the last quarter. My mate had managed to score a TD and successfully kick the field goal with less than a minute to go. He was leading by 2 points. I was trying my best to gain yards up that field and all the while my mate was rubbing it in that he was finally going to beat me at something after all these years. We were in the last 10 seconds, no timeouts left so I opted for a FG from around the 40yard line. These shitty 1 button standard C64 joysticks were known for being mediore at best. THe kick was up, it was flying for the uprights, the time had reached zero AND THE KICK WAS GOOD! I won by one point.

I got up, thrusted my hips in my mates direction telling him to suck it down. Boy he didn't take it too well at all (the loss, not teh suck) and proceeded to reach into his toolbox in his cupboard, pulled out a hammer and literally smashed his joystick to bits. We never played vs again since we never had a second stick.

The same guy on a seperate occasion broke the dining room table in a fit of rage over a game, but I'm not familiar with the details of that one.

The Year; 1992
The Platform; Sega Megadrive
The Game; Road Rash

Back then we had left school and were bludging the benny and every Thursday we used to rent a game. At the time we were renting Road Rash ever other week. It was a great game in its day, epic long races, the laughs at running so far back to your bike after a high speed crash. For those that remember RR had no save option, instead, from memory there was this epic long code, might've been something like 20 digits, I'm not 100%. Anyway, we had a code for the level 4 I think, but sadly we had written this code down wrong.

After starting from the beginning and literally playing all day, we must've put in close to 18hrs since 9am as we took turns trying to get to the last race and we did it. An epic battle against all the cops in the game along this massively long track. We tried and tried so many times, usually coming off a cropper within the last few km's and ending up coming 3rd or something but this one time we had the lead, no crashes at all, the trip meter was ticking down, 700 meters, 600 meters, 500 meters, 400 meters, 300 meters, we were fucking stoked, we did it, but nooooooooo 200 meters and THE GAME FUCKING FROZE! But that wasn't the worse bit, we hadn't written a code down all day so we had nothing to go back to.

My mate seriously lost his shit hard. He punched himself in the face a couple of times, grabbed the controller and yanked it, the console (remember this was all rented, game, machine, pads) came flying off the table, he stood on the machine, yanked the cord then proceeded to swing the controller around his head by the cord. He let go, pad smashed into the wall and cracked plus the d-pad fell out. He then went into the toilet and while holding the cord, dangled the pad into the loo and flushed it. We then wiped it down, put the d-pad back in and that was it. We returned it the next day and said nothing, and nothing was said from the videoshop. We never rented it again.

I've gnashed my teeth a bit, rage-quit, said some obscenities at loud volumes, etc., but that's about it.

Some of the posts in this thread are a little sad, no offense ...

Blablurn said:
i threw a friend of mine out of the house when he beat me in PES.

I remember being in a friends house playing FIFA 98: Road to the World Cup, we were doing a little knock out tournament together and I was playing one of our other friends in a long duration game. We were on level terms and I battered him in every stat but couldn't seem to get that deciding goal... passing, posession, free kicks, attempts on goal, attempts on target. Anyway, in the 90th minute he gets the winner. He's laughing in my face, trolling me IRL telling me how he won because he's better than me and that he played better than me and my god... if it had been my house, I'd have done what you did and kicked him out! haha

It blows my mind that this happened 12+ years ago... it feels like yesterday!

This just happened recently. I picked up Goldeneye for the Wii. Was playing through it and the controls sucked hard. The gun wasn't aiming right. I couldn't turn at all. Aim at the enemy and the gun would aim right at the ground. I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. So I slammed the Wiimote a couple of times into the couch and then it hit me that I had moved the Wii from another room and the sensor bar was set wrong. Boy, did that fix a lot of the problems I was having. I can't believe I even beat the first level with the wrong configuration.

Top Bottom