• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

GodofWine

As a barbell worshipping gym rat who chastises people on bodybuilding forums for not squatting deep enough or skimping on daily protein intake...I totally think P90X is a really good total body FITNESS (not bodybuilding) workout.

I think if I used it, I would drop at least a few lbs of muscle on it, but be in slightly better shape cardio wise.

I think people who are weekend warriors/former athletes, who want to lean up are best served with this very solid program. Not everyone wants to have cannon ball sized shoulders, and thats cool with me.

(I just hate when people say this, or Cross Fit will put on more muscle that a bodybuilding workout, they wont, ever...NEVER.) But both will drastically improve your appearance, shape, and strength.

I endorse P90X, and my wife is probably going to get it.

GodofWine said:
As a barbell worshipping gym rat who chastises people on bodybuilding forums for not squatting deep enough or skimping on daily protein intake...I totally think P90X is a really good total body FITNESS (not bodybuilding) workout.

I think if I used it, I would drop at least a few lbs of muscle on it, but be in slightly better shape cardio wise.

I think people who are weekend warriors/former athletes, who want to lean up are best served with this very solid program. Not everyone wants to have cannon ball sized shoulders, and thats cool with me.

(I just hate when people say this, or Cross Fit will put on more muscle that a bodybuilding workout, they wont, ever...NEVER.) But both will drastically improve your appearance, shape, and strength.

Haha, the first gym rat to endorse P90X. I was about to give up on you folks. Trust me, I had my gym rat days back in college but at this point in my life it's very difficult to be a gym rat and P90X really is the perfect solution for me as it's by far the most difficult and strenuous of any home workouts I've seen with minimal equipment. Not needing a bench or barbell is absolutely huge IMO for working out at home for most people.

quinntendopower said:
I still do not get why so many people are so scared of the barbell. I think this is the biggest reason why people still use machines and stuff like P90x.

if you REALLY want to buy something, buy Ross Enemait's book, NEVER GYMLESS. Ross is a MACHINE, he has unbelievable speed power and most important dedication.

2qbw5s9.jpg

watch this video, P90x my ass. mostly homemade contraptions and his garage and music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57pv_1j4dH0

Ross has some of the best products to come out in the past few years (and before that). He sells stuff for cheap and answers questions on his own forums, and walks the walk, backing up his stuff with his own experience. Stand up guy.

GodofWine said:

Great summary/opinion. Also, "crossfit will build more muscle than bodybuilding" is just one of the MANY claims that Crossfit has not been able to prove and/or follow up on. "Coach" is full of shit.

phinious

I just ordered P90X yesterday before I even saw this thread. I am 6'2" and 184 lbs. Im in pretty crumby shape. I look fit with clothes on, but im doughy.

Im hoping this thing makes me look really good with my shirt off. I've never done supplements before, so Im kinda nervous about trying them. I was told to do protein shakes, recovery drinks, and this thing called NO-EXPLODE.

That seems like a ton of different stuff, but hopefully it works. My main problem isnt getting through workouts, its getting through them the next day as Im majorly fatigued. Hopefully these supplements fix all that. Anyone have any comments that would help me with supplements? Also do I eat less since Im taking more calories with supplements?

I will post pictures in this thread of day 1/30/60/90 as I make my way through it. I should be starting right away next week when I recieve the package.

Also as to the whole weight lifting or p90x debate. I could not care less about being super strong. I am just intimated abotu trying to learn routines and stuff on my own. Thats why I am doing P90X. I realise a well balanced lifting routine is better for strength. I want to look and feel fit, and I want someone to tell me step by step how to do it.

GodofWine

negreenfield said:
Haha, the first gym rat to endorse P90X. I was about to give up on you folks. Trust me, I had my gym rat days back in college but at this point in my life it's very difficult to be a gym rat and P90X really is the perfect solution for me as it's by far the most difficult and strenuous of any home workouts I've seen with minimal equipment. Not needing a bench or barbell is absolutely huge IMO for working out at home for most people.

Im 31, and been naturally skinny (now lean) my whole life. Without weight training I'd weigh 130lbs (started college at 125), currently Im 185lb, at 5'10'', with a 30inch waist. Its all about picking the right routine for 'you'. By no means am I HYUUGE (though I look bigger than I really am thanks to my shitty skinny genetics, my joints are small as hell making the muscles look bigger). Im a 'big 185' whatever that means.

Now, If I was a natural 195lbs and wanted to look like I do now, then P90X would probably be what I picked.

Its all about 'what is my body type', 'what are my genetics', 'what are my goals'.

Hari Seldon

Yeah I bought P90 because I work 10 hour days and don't have time to run 5-6 miles a day like I used to back in college. I never liked lifting weights and would rather do stuff like pushups, pullups, etc. My goal is to simply be in better overall shape so I can start playing amateur sports again. I dont' really care about becoming "big". In fact I don't really want to.

I think this thread suffers from the same thing that afflicts most threads on the OT - Internet Expert Syndrome. There are always going to be people who are less interested in discussion and more interested in trying to be a know it all, regardless of the subject. It's just like the threads about building a PC or a home theater, or cars. For some reason, there are people who want to believe their way of doing something is the only correct way of doing it.

Of course there is plenty of good info in this thread too. Mr. Snrub (seriously best nick and avatar ever BTW) offers really good, constructive criticism of P90X without coming across as jerk or disregarding other peoples success with this program. It's also really good to see people discuss their success with the program. I still want to see before and after pics from folks who've completed it.

Yeah, there are other options and some of them are probably better or cheaper, but P90X does work if your goal is slim down and get fit. It's a good one stop solution for a regular person that is really interested in getting in shape.

Balboa

I might give this a go, can't seem to find anyone with a bad word to say about it!

My chin-up bar is nowhere near any of our TV's though, is that going to be a problem or can I just watch it beforehand so I know what's coming up and then make a run for it during the workout? I'll probably be able to hear the TV from where the bar is but that's about it.

Balboa said:
I might give this a go, can't seem to find anyone with a bad word to say about it!

My chin-up bar is nowhere near any of our TV's though, is that going to be a problem or can I just watch it beforehand so I know what's coming up and then make a run for it during the workout? I'll probably be able to hear the TV from where the bar is but that's about it.
It might be hard the first time through or you'll have to do some pausing because you need to see the technique, but I was in the same boat, my closest door jam was not in the direction of the TV. You should be fine to take 15 seconds to go to another room if you know the technique

Balboa

negreenfield said:
It might be hard the first time through or you'll have to do some pausing because you need to see the technique, but I was in the same boat, my closest door jam was not in the direction of the TV. You should be fine to take 15 seconds to go to another room if you know the technique
Thanks, shouldn't be too much of a problem then. I'll check it out the day before just to be sure I know what I'm going to be doing.

phinious said:
I just ordered P90X yesterday before I even saw this thread. I am 6'2" and 184 lbs. Im in pretty crumby shape. I look fit with clothes on, but im doughy.

Im hoping this thing makes me look really good with my shirt off. I've never done supplements before, so Im kinda nervous about trying them. I was told to do protein shakes, recovery drinks, and this thing called NO-EXPLODE.

That seems like a ton of different stuff, but hopefully it works. My main problem isnt getting through workouts, its getting through them the next day as Im majorly fatigued. Hopefully these supplements fix all that. Anyone have any comments that would help me with supplements? Also do I eat less since Im taking more calories with supplements?

I will post pictures in this thread of day 1/30/60/90 as I make my way through it. I should be starting right away next week when I recieve the package.

Also as to the whole weight lifting or p90x debate. I could not care less about being super strong. I am just intimated abotu trying to learn routines and stuff on my own. Thats why I am doing P90X. I realise a well balanced lifting routine is better for strength. I want to look and feel fit, and I want someone to tell me step by step how to do it.

this is the textbook example of a consumer looking to make a quick change by spending money. 6'2 and 184 lbs sounds like an an ectomorph. 3 months with any good program and you'll look and feel a shitload better!

a recovery drink is called a post workout MEAL. no-xplode is BS first of all. your buying into nothing but HYPE, a fizzy red drink with probably 100mg of caffeine. you could do an E/C stack and it'd be more effective. the only supplement you should even use is a post workout protein shake, the BCAA's and Protein are beneficial to recovery and growth.

if you want to lose weight, you need to consume less calories then you burn. THATS IT. there isn't anything magical about it. if you don't get a 6 pack, blame your genes.

want to lose? more reps, lower weight with a lower and more strict calorie intake.

want to gain? lift big, low reps, eat anything that comes your way

pretty simple right?

if you need p90x for motivation, fine, it will whoop your ass and give you the look you want, but i question down the road, what then? it just seems like an unrealistic workout to maintain. i just have major problems with enthusiasm turning into wasted money and misdirection. working out is very scientific whether you want it to be or not, the more you know the better results you can have!

GodofWine

quinntendopower said:
you could do an E/C stack and it'd be more effective. the only supplement you should even use is a post workout protein shake, the BCAA's and Protein are beneficial to recovery and growth.

I don't disagree with a thing here...though I like Fish Oil in the 3-5g per day range as well.

There are other 'supps/OTC Drugs basically' that do indeed work (hell, I've used ALOT of stuff that most people never heard of since its not at GNC), but for the purposes of this thread, I think they are best left out of the conversation.

For those that have bought and used resistance bands, I really want to see pics of what your bodies look like. I know you can tone up using them, but still quite curious.

Struct09

Hari Seldon said:
Yeah I bought P90 because I work 10 hour days and don't have time to run 5-6 miles a day like I used to back in college. I never liked lifting weights and would rather do stuff like pushups, pullups, etc. My goal is to simply be in better overall shape so I can start playing amateur sports again. I dont' really care about becoming "big". In fact I don't really want to.

Your justification for using P90 is reasonable, I'm just going to call you out on one thing. Getting big isn't a side effect of alternate routines to P90, getting big is something you do on purpose over the course of many years. I used to be overweight, and now I have a compound lifting focused routine with not much cardio at all and stay around 160 lbs and 9% bodyfat.

Reading what people are saying about P90X, it sounds pretty awesome. If it helps people stay motivated and get on the right track towards good fitness and nutrition then its existence is justified. I won't kid myself by thinking my style of routine is for everyone - one of the biggest keys to fitness/nutrition is that you have to find something that works for you.

Jokergrin

QUESTION:

does this P90X thingy insist that you use their proprietary bars and drinks?

can you use alternatives? or just forego them entirely?

Jokergrin said:
QUESTION:

Of course you can use others. During the actual workouts the only time Tony specifically mentions the "P90X recovery drink" is once during the Legs and Back workout. The rest of the time he just says "don't forget your recovery drink." The P90X one seems to be pretty good from a nutritional standpoint, but it's overpriced. I started taking Endurox R4 a few weeks into the program and I'd definitely recommend a recovery drink. The protein bars exist as a protein/meal substitute, so there's really no requirement to take them. Just make sure you're getting enough protein in your diet.

GodofWine

Jokergrin said:
QUESTION:

You can totally skip them or buy another brand.

Optimum 100% Whey protein is my brand of choice for powder...and there really is no protein bar thats really great (that doesn't cost too much). I do like to have Cliff Builder Bars around despite my loathing of Soy Protein.

Greek Yogurt is a great high protein snack too.

Ding

I'm wondering if this program might work for my wife and I. The trouble is, I'm having a hard time picturing any place in our house where we'd have the room and facilities to "perform it". It seems like two people would need a lot of space, and two separate pull-up stations.

I think the only two possibilities are the living room, or the garage. Both have pro's and cons. Perhaps someone with experience with this routine could advise me?

The living room has sufficient floor space once we shove the chairs out of the way. It's a got a big TV and sound system. But, it's got nowhere to do pull-ups. All the doorways in that part of the house are "frameless". No good way to attach a bar. 18 foot ceiling. Plus, I'd need two such set-ups. Maybe I could rig up something free-standing?

The garage is finished and carpeted. The doorway into the house has a frame, so a bar would work well there. But there's only one door, so I'm wondering if I could ceiling-mount a "real" bar. One big enough for 2 people to use at once. (There's a big beam running across the garage, so I think this could be done safely.) Or perhaps I could rig overhead attachment points for those bands, instead? But there's no TV in the garage. I'd need to rig something up.

Do either of those locations sound promising?

Is there any way to get the P90 (X would be too much right now) in europe?
the website says that they are only shipping it to usa and canada.

McLovin

I was actually gonna start this one soon.. I didn't try it earlier because it looked like it had allot of pull up exercises. I can do seven consecutive pull ups now (my current weight is 260) I think that's good enough to start doing p90x.

GodofWine said:
You can totally skip them or buy another brand.

Optimum 100% Whey protein is my brand of choice for powder...and there really is no protein bar thats really great (that doesn't cost too much). I do like to have Cliff Builder Bars around despite my loathing of Soy Protein.

Greek Yogurt is a great high protein snack too.

I have really limited experience in regards to the whole supplement discussion but I think Optimum is great, its what I used in the past thanks to recommendations here on the OT. I bought Muscle Milk earlier this week because the store by my house was out of the flavor of Optimum I wanted and I totally regret it. Muscle Milk tastes way too sweet, I feel like my teeth are rotting when I drink it. Shouldn't have been so hasty with my purchase.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
I'm not quite sure what the actual minimum requirements are for this program. Maybe someone can help me out?

I can see that you need dumbbells and either resistance bands or a pull-up bar. Someone mentioned using the bands with a door attachments... how does that work?

In terms of dumbbells, I would assume that you need different weights. What is the recommended range? Do you need fixed weight dumbbells or is it ok to use adjustable dumbbells eventhough it takes time to adjust them?

Also, how much space do you need to do this?

cybamerc said:
I'm not quite sure what the actual minimum requirements are for this program. Maybe someone can help me out?

I can see that you need dumbbells and either resistance bands or a pull-up bar. Someone mentioned using the bands with a door attachments... how does that work?

In terms of dumbbells, I would assume that you need different weights. What is the recommended range? Do you need fixed weight dumbbells or is it ok to use adjustable dumbbells eventhough it takes time to adjust them?

Also, how much space do you need to do this?

You NEED a pullup bar. Weights from 10 to 50 lbs. I have the gold gym adjustable dumbells (middle of the road) but work great. Get yourself a pair of push-up bars.

Jokergrin said:
QUESTION:

Depending on your bodyfat you need more protein and less carbs. Recovery drinks are a good way to boost your protein intake. I believe they are a must. Just go and get some 100% whey protein drink and forget about the proprietary crap.

phinious

quinntendopower said:
this is the textbook example of a consumer looking to make a quick change by spending money. 6'2 and 184 lbs sounds like an an ectomorph. 3 months with any good program and you'll look and feel a shitload better!

a recovery drink is called a post workout MEAL. no-xplode is BS first of all. your buying into nothing but HYPE, a fizzy red drink with probably 100mg of caffeine. you could do an E/C stack and it'd be more effective. the only supplement you should even use is a post workout protein shake, the BCAA's and Protein are beneficial to recovery and growth.

if you want to lose weight, you need to consume less calories then you burn. THATS IT. there isn't anything magical about it. if you don't get a 6 pack, blame your genes.

want to lose? more reps, lower weight with a lower and more strict calorie intake.

want to gain? lift big, low reps, eat anything that comes your way

pretty simple right?

if you need p90x for motivation, fine, it will whoop your ass and give you the look you want, but i question down the road, what then? it just seems like an unrealistic workout to maintain. i just have major problems with enthusiasm turning into wasted money and misdirection. working out is very scientific whether you want it to be or not, the more you know the better results you can have!

Ok, What is an ectomorph? Also what is an E/C stack and BCAA?

EXGN

Just made the commitment to do the full 90 days... On day 2 and the pylo kicked my ass. I've had the program for a month or so, but finals in school and a job prevented my from doing it.

Magnus

I've had this for like, two years -- started and stopped at least 4 times, never getting more than 2 weeks into it each time. It's an intense fucking workout.

I just began again yesterday and am so committed to get it done this time. Each time I've tried it, I've felt fantastic after just a few days of it (burned out, but fantastic), but school/work/laziness kick in and disrupt the schedule, but not this fucking time. Summer's wide open and I'm getting this done.

90 days from yesterday's my birthday too, so this'll be the perfect gift to myself. About to go do Plyo now. It's by far the most brutal of the six p90x routines I've tried in the past, so I'm looking forward to it. :)

Replicant

EXGN said:
Just made the commitment to do the full 90 days... On day 2 and the pylo kicked my ass. I've had the program for a month or so, but finals in school and a job prevented my from doing it.

Haha, I just tried the Plyo for the first time on the weekend and now my legs are all sore. X( I never feel like this before even after doing 6 miles/day run.

Atrus

Gold Member
Interesting to hear that P90X actually works to some degree. How long does each day's workout session last? What's an example of a typical days session?

carlos

I tried this a while ago, but I have lower back issues, and a LOT of the exercises would put too much strain for me to even finish one workout :(

I passed it on to a cousin who replied "its more intense than any army boot camp experience I've had"- had to chuckle a bit after hearing that...

If I remember correctly, each workout is about 40-50 minutes long, depending on the warm up/ power yoga/ cool down sections; I think it was just one workout a day, but I think, you could do 2 a day if you feel you could handle it.

I just finished week 2 today and so far it's looking good.
No big visual differences so far, but I'm definitely feeling better.

I've been 90% on the diet, and working my ass off with the workouts. Some workouts I do better than others, but on average I'll be burning 700+ calories a workout.

Direct results I'm seeing:
  • MUCH better flexibility - this is a big problem for me, so it's been great to see good progress on this front
  • more strength
  • more cardio
  • more energy

Pretty much the usual laundry list of ways that people feel better when they start working out after a long hiatus.

It really is a great program. The genius of it is that it's a well designed workout. People say "Ya, of course if you worked out for 90 minutes a day for 90 days you'd get ripped". The problem with THAT is not everybody can make a program that they can DO for 90 days straight without getting too exhausted, or injuring themselves. I know that even if I'm completely wasted on day X's workout I know that I'll still be able to do day X+1 because that's how it's designed.

Also works extremely well with my routine in that I can do it in the morning, or after work from the comfort of my home without having a bunch of expensive/bulky equipment lying around.

A note about the workouts. It's A LOT of legs. I mean... A LOT.
And then back, and then chest.

The reasoning behind this I'm sure is that one of the keys to weightloss through strength training is to work the biggest muscles because they burn the most calories/energy.

Legs.

JavaMava said:
so say you go through this, and at the end of the 90 days you were happy with the results and wanted to maintain it. Would you have to give the same 1+ hours a day every day to keep it, or could you cut a bit to keep what you have?
i was at 170lbs and after 4 or 6 week i noticed i lost 15 lbs and i didnt wanna loose any weight. i just stoped doin the plyometrics cause i was sure thats what was making me loose all that weight, now im back up to 160.

also they dont work out shoulders as much as i would like so on one of the resting days or on the day that i would do plyo i work out shoulders again.

after im done with the 90 days im still gonna do the same thing. maybe do plyo every other week.

phinious

I showed my coworker some youtube videos of P90X graduates and now he is gonna start it with me when I get it. Well he will be a day behind since Im just gonna loan him the dvds the day after I complete em;)

This will help us motivate each other. Cannot wait, although im kinda nervous. I've been working out extra hard this last week to get ready for it... Im afraid its still gonna kick my ass.

LogicStep

I'm wondering if any of you guys that finished the P90X program had any tips for what I'm going through. I recently just started this program, first day was chest and back, I endured it until there was only 12 minutes left on the timer and my muscles gave up on me, I didn't have the strength to get up off of the ground. And then I was supposed to do the Ab Ripper X and I was just wasted, didn't last 2 minutes. The next day, completely messed up from the previous day, I had to do Plyometrics, I only lasted 20 minutes into that session and my legs gave up on me, I could barely walk or stand.

This obviously means I'm out of shape but, any tips on what I should do so I can complete these workouts? They weren't kidding when they said it's EXTREME!

suffah

Does maths and stuff
deathsight580 said:
I'm wondering if any of you guys that finished the P90X program had any tips for what I'm going through. I recently just started this program, first day was chest and back, I endured it until there was only 12 minutes left on the timer and my muscles gave up on me, I didn't have the strength to get up off of the ground. And then I was supposed to do the Ab Ripper X and I was just wasted, didn't last 2 minutes. The next day, completely messed up from the previous day, I had to do Plyometrics, I only lasted 20 minutes into that session and my legs gave up on me, I could barely walk or stand.

This obviously means I'm out of shape but, any tips on what I should do so I can complete these workouts? They weren't kidding when they said it's EXTREME!

Tony mentions it a lot. You need to pace yourself, just use some common sense. For example, don't do pull-ups to exhaustion right from the get-go. You know there's a ton of exercises left not to mention round 2. Also, did you do the fit test?

I didn't complete the Yoga stretching video this week, it completely kicks my ass even though it's supposed to be an easier one. Stretching always kills me.

Magnus

Day 2.

Fuck, Plyo is harder than I remember, but once you get past the halfway hump, you get into fun, slightly more tolerable (albeit still brutal) exercises.

To the poster two up from me, ditto dude. I just find ways to modify the exercises a little if they're too brutal for me right now. You see how on the Plyo vid the chick on the right occasionally does slightly less rough versions of some of the exercises, like where she skips the high jump on some of the first few exercises and just does a hop? Yeah, so I basically apply the same principle to some of the other exercises if they kick my ass. I do a less extreme jump, or not as low a squat, or do 20 seconds instead of 25, or take a slightly longer pause between each rep of a jumping exercise, etc. Or I just take a slightly longer water break (1 minute instead of 30 seconds).

Sure, it seems like cutting corners, but A) you'll improve each time you revisit the routine, and notice you can last longer or complete the full exercise on repeat tries, and B) it's better than doing nothing or skipping the exercise altogether.

LogicStep

Yeah I noticed the chick too how her version seems less brutal. I do try to pace myself but I guess I feel like I'm not doing enough. Next time I will make sure I take it easy at the start and see if by the time I finish I feel like I did enough. Thanks for the advice guys, keep on with the extreme!

If you really are having problems with it, then try P90. Just because P90 is the intro program doesn't mean it's a total breeze either. You could always start with the second half of P90 and then start P90X after 30 or 45 days, or sooner if you really felt up to it.

As for the yoga, stretching, and pilates, pretty much everyone I've talked to who has done P90 or P90X has said that it is one of the hardest aspects of the workout, at least initially and especially if you never done it before. I was talking to a friend who is a pretty avid yoga and pilates practitioner and she said even really physically fit people have trouble with yoga at first as it is working out muscles you just never use in regular exercise. She said pilates is even tougher. The worst part for me is flowing from pose to pose. There have been a many times I've just had to stop and start again. It's getting easier, but it's still the hardest part of the workout and you're doing it within the first five minutes too. I am both dreading and looking forward to doing it tomorrow.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
bishoptl said:
Thanks for that. I used to work out hardcore when I was bouncing, then scaled back once I had kids and started drilling into the career stuff. Now that my kids are older and even more enthusiastic about kicking the shit out of me, it's time to cowboy up and get back to it.
the avatar alone was intimidating enough :[

oh and this thread is making me get this p90x thing. glad i clicked on it

Top Bottom