• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

LogicStep

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
gonna do chest & back right now. this is the last 4 weeks.
You are on your last month? Should post some before and after pictures when you are done. Or at least a picture when you finish.

Future

Tried this out a month ago. Its like a mini-crossfit program meant for the home. Builds the core an endurance. I doubt anyone will get as ripped as these dudes without any focused training, but you'll definitely get in shape if you keep it up. I couldnt finish most of the workouts first try, and I try to run and weight lift every week

deathsight580 said:
You are on your last month? Should post some before and after pictures when you are done. Or at least a picture when you finish.
i really wanted to take before shots but didnt have a camera. ill try and do an after but all i can say is that when i started i had no definition and had a beer gut.

but like i said earlier, i didnt like that they dont work your delts as much as i would like so i do another day for that....ohh and i dont fallow the food guide, i bet you will see way better results if you did.

OmniGamer

"Recovery week"...ha! It's still an ass-kicking, just in a different way. I just finished my second Core Synergistics workout for this week...tomorrow is Yoga-X, then my rest day and i'll be taking my first 30 day progress pics. I've noticed a difference in the mirror, but i'm still tempering my expectations for the actual side by side pics, especially given my stubborn body type...still though, in all aspects, i've improved greatly so far...even in the marching-in-place warmups, i'm noticing that i'm lifting my knees up higher to tap my hands without any conscious effort.

gcubed

basically because of this thread i've decided to start it in 2 weeks (going on vacation, dont want to interrupt the tenuous beginning of a program with vacation). I figured, shit, if gaf can do it, so can i

Balboa

Ok the Plyometrics has absolutely killed my legs. I managed to push through shoulders and arms the next day, followed by Yoga the day after but now it's legs and back day and I don't think there's any way I'm going to be able to do it. If I put any weight on my legs whilst they have even the slightest bend in them it hurts.

I imagine this could happen to alot of people so what is it I am expected to do here? Just try and rest my legs so I'm good to go next week? I'm hating the idea of skipping out on the stuff for this week but what if it happens next week too? I'm probably going to have to do the full 5 weeks for phase 1

OmniGamer

Balboa said:
Ok the Plyometrics has absolutely killed my legs. I managed to push through shoulders and arms the next day, followed by Yoga the day after but now it's legs and back day and I don't think there's any way I'm going to be able to do it. If I put any weight on my legs whilst they have even the slightest bend in them it hurts.

I imagine this could happen to alot of people so what is it I am expected to do here? Just try and rest my legs so I'm good to go next week? I'm hating the idea of skipping out on the stuff for this week but what if it happens next week too? I'm probably going to have to do the full 5 weeks for phase 1

I'd say listen to your body...you won't be any good if you injure yourself...being healthy and injury-free outweighs the "skipped workout" guilt.

Btw, I just took my 30-day pics today and made some side-by-side comparison shots...i'll post the links if a few people voice an interest in seeing them. Surprisingly I think I've made the most visible progress in my back/lats.

Onward to Phase 2 tomorrow!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i just got p90x

IM READY TO BRING IT.

where do i buy the p90x supplement though? i can get it in stores right?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've never seen the p90x recovery drink or bars in a store, only online. Pricing seems to be fairly constant ($42ish for the drink), only the S&H varies.

Nothing magic about it, beside the rather nice orangey taste. It is just like any other 2:1 or 4:1 (carb to protein ratio) recovery formula spiked with a bit of creatine. It does bounce me back from the workouts (which typically emphasize aerobics FAR more than strength) pretty quick.

Try the optimum nutrition 2:1:1 formula, GNC stocks it. The Vanilla tastes pretty good and it has branched chain amino acids which supposedly help with muscle recovery.

If pylometrics crushed your legs (did for me as well the first time) just go easy on legs/back. That one is by far the hardest session for me, mainly because it hits two big muscle groups. Maybe just do the back stuff (lots of pull-ups) and skip the leg work, or just do the stretching DVD instead and wait a day for legs/back.

Balboa

Thanks guys I did the legs and back workout in the end, took it pretty easy but after the first few minutes the pain wasn't really an issue.

The first week is almost over and everything seems to be falling into place, feels good!

silvon

Just finished my first week. First three days were brutal, I could barely finish the second rounds, and I am not out of shape. The rest were not that bad, perhaps because the exercises are easier. Results? I don't see any difference in my physique tbh, though probably that's because it's only the first week :lol I feel better cardio-wise though, I have to climb a steep hill everytime I go to school, and I notice that I don't lose my breath anymore doing it.

Aeonin

Anyone with before/after or during photos, please post. I like seeing good indicators of progress - might spur me on to try this program out. (I would now, but I don't have the right equipment - plus I need to find it all cheap).

Hari Seldon

My P90 game in this week. I did the first two days in a row, but I had to take yesterday off due to soreness. I guess I'll start the workout in full next week once my body adjusts to it a little better.

I tried day 1 with the resistance band. It kind of flops everywhere when you have to step on it to shorten it up for some exercises, I don't really like it. I think I will transition to dumbells.

I am not taking any supplements or shakes or anything.

Atrophis

Decided to get back in shape so im gonna give this a try.

Im not exactly over weight, just slightly pudgy here and there, but id like to get toned up and nice and stretchy again.

Miss being a martial artist as a kid. Could bend myself any which way and was fit as fuck.

Just got done with the whole program. It was good but I was already working out really regularly before and I actually lost some muscle size. I had to start cutting out most of my cardio to prevent to much muscle breakdown but it was fun to do something new. For my body type though it still didn't touch the kind of results I was getting from split training but honestly who really has the time to do that.

OmniGamer

Aeonin said:
Anyone with before/after or during photos, please post. I like seeing good indicators of progress - might spur me on to try this program out. (I would now, but I don't have the right equipment - plus I need to find it all cheap).

I'll post my back pic for now. I'm only a month into it, 60 more days to go, starting phase 2(Chest, Shoulders & Triceps) in 30mins

Back/Lats Day 1-Day 30 comparison

Feedback?

Hari Seldon said:
I tried day 1 with the resistance band. It kind of flops everywhere when you have to step on it to shorten it up for some exercises, I don't really like it. I think I will transition to dumbells.

Yeah, the resistance band is a pain to use, but once you get used to how much you need to adjust it, it works pretty well. I try and alternate between dumbbells and the resistance band just so I have some variety in my workouts.

I'm nearing the end of week 3 of P90 and I am definitely seeing results. My gut and love handles have shrunk, and I am noticing that the weight lifting portion of the workout is getting a lot easier. I've actually upped my weight on most of the routine. My boyfriend lives on the third floor of his apartment building, and yesterday I wasn't out of breath at all when I climbed the stairs to his apartment. I can't remember the last time that happened.

I wish I had taken better before pics, because all of the ones I have are pretty bad quality. I was kind of in a hurry though, I didn't really like taking a photo of myself with my shirt off. Now I wish I had taken more, so I had more of a reference of my starting point.

Anth0ny

Hari Seldon said:
My P90 game in this week. I did the first two days in a row, but I had to take yesterday off due to soreness. I guess I'll start the workout in full next week once my body adjusts to it a little better.

I am not taking any supplements or shakes or anything.

Ahahahaha, those first two days are killer! I remember it like yesterday :lol

That's definitely the hardest part right there. You should be fine from now on.

Also, try and get some protein. It makes everything easier, and more effective. I started without the protein as well, I'm telling you, it's the shit.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
dentoomw said:

news04.jpg

If you only showed me the 1st and last pics I wouldn't have believed it was the same person.

I just started week 2 and it's amazing how much easier it is.

There's not enough love for Yoga X in this thread! I'm no Dhalsim or anything, but I've had my issues with back/neck/shoulder pain and I feel like a million bucks the day after a Yoga X workout. Make sure you listen to Tony and don't neglect it!

damn, gonna have to try this out however, i'm thinking of doing a few things before I do:

- regulate my diet (so that it's not a huge transition to the nutrition plan)
- workout 3 days a week for a month (just to get my body into some semblance of condition)

seems to me that you need to be somewhat fit before embarking on P90x, is that true?

monchi-kun said:
damn, gonna have to try this out however, i'm thinking of doing a few things before I do:

- regulate my diet (so that it's not a huge transition to the nutrition plan)
- workout 3 days a week for a month (just to get my body into some semblance of condition)

seems to me that you need to be somewhat fit before embarking on P90x, is that true?

There is a fitness test on the site that you can do to determine if you're in good enough shape to start it. Personally, I opted to start with the P90 program and build up to P90X. P90 is cheaper too, and it's still a pretty thorough workout.

Burai

shitonmychest57
suffah said:
news04.jpg

If you only showed me the 1st and last pics I wouldn't have believed it was the same person.

I just started week 2 and it's amazing how much easier it is.

WARNING: P90X MAY CAUSE BEARD LOSS

Anth0ny

HisshouBuraiKen said:
There's not enough love for Yoga X in this thread! I'm no Dhalsim or anything, but I've had my issues with back/neck/shoulder pain and I feel like a million bucks the day after a Yoga X workout. Make sure you listen to Tony and don't neglect it!

I neglected it after 4 weeks :lol

The first Yoga X was torture. An hour and 45 minutes of balancing was just too long for me. So I cut it down to the second part of the video, after all the "Warrior this" stuff. It was a lot more enjoyable, and I killed Yoga belly X.

Then, I noticed something. Yoga X was on Saturday for me. So I decided to go out with friends and play sports on Saturdays.

But don't listen to me. Yoga is good, I'm just impatient.

GodofWine

My wife ordered this today...I think im going to use a couple of the workouts, Plyo and Stretch on weekends and continue to lift during the week, but I need to stretch, and my back no longer likes squatting heavy, and plyo looks like a great leg workout.

My diet is geared to adding mass slowly, so I'll take leg measurements bi-monthly to see if they grow or shrink on this program...Im hoping to maintain or grow them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That pic series looks like it is 180 days, seems he did p90 and followed it with p90x.

The diet is far and away the key to weight loss. Cutting out the alcohol and the sweets is the hard part for me (I work out so I can drink!).

I've never finished Yoga. Usually get to the table stand part and run out of time. 90 minutes is just too long. Maybe I'll try skipping some of the endless warrior pose stuff.

I'm very curious to try this out now! I had seen this on TV but, you know, the doubt kicked in and I thought, "Nah, it probably won't work as well they say."

After this thread, I want to try it now.

I'm going to go back and try to read the rest, but just in case: I only need my body for most of these exercises, right? Some require dumbbells or resistance bands?

Magnus

It's Day 5 for me and I'm just too sore to do it :lol But every day was definitely easier than the first. Yoga was actually a great feeling I thought. Fantastic stretch.

Boonoo

Heh, this seems like it could be fun. I went through the pretest and did alright on everything but pushups 11 out of 15, and pull ups--I don't have a bar at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't do one.

I've also been running everyday--just a quick three miles. Would I be able to continue with that if I went through P90x? Something like run in the morning and this in the evenings? Or would I put running on hold while I focus on the program?

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
ffffuuuuu--

i just started the "10 minute trainer" series and after 10 measly minutes of the cardio workout i'm having trouble just to walk around.

fuck me, man

Boonoo said:
Heh, this seems like it could be fun. I went through the pretest and did alright on everything but pushups 11 out of 15, and pull ups--I don't have a bar at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't do one.

I've also been running everyday--just a quick three miles. Would I be able to continue with that if I went through P90x? Something like run in the morning and this in the evenings? Or would I put running on hold while I focus on the program?

RAS_Avatar.gif

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
The main two reasons P90X works is 1) it's actually quite fun, the energy in the videos *makes* you want to keep going, and 2) it will beat your ass down, so what happens is that lazy people just give up after the first week or two. It is an *extremely hard workout.*

This might be a weird question but... are the P90/P90x compatible with a vegetarian diet? It would suck to try it out only to find that it wants me to eat grilled chicken 3 times a day or something.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Freedom = $1.05 said:
This might be a weird question but... are the P90/P90x compatible with a vegetarian diet? It would suck to try it out only to find that it wants me to eat grilled chicken 3 times a day or something.

i would think so. i don't think you have to follow the exact diet.. just as long as you eat the correct amount of protein, carbohydrates, etc.. but i could be wrong.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have been working out in the gym for 6 weeks now and can see muscle being built but I still am pudgy around the waist. Is this program expensive? Any specific exercises from it I could do in the gym to help drop fat quicker?

phinious

I just did my first day. Holy crap. I almost threw up, but I finished it. I feel GOOOOD. The diet is harder then the excercises.

I went out and bought p90x groceries, and I got an egg white carton. OMG is it gross. 1 serving is like 3/4 cup of egg whites. I couldnt even finish...I made a cheese & mushroom omelet with it, it is waaay different than a regular egg omelet.

Boonoo said:

I'm probably around the same level as you. I can do push-ups OK (not great) but I suck at pull-ups (I can do 6 reverse and like... 2 wide). And I've also been doing running/jogging everyday.

I've found it doable, but I do the reverse schedule: P90X in the morning, jogging in the evenings. I like that because running kinda loosens and extends many of the muscles that were worked in the morning. Some days I feel good and can do 3 miles and some days my legs are dead and I stop at 2. Some days after running I also try to do some foot-speed exercises. I do some competitive fencing and foot control/speed are maybe the most important thing for me, so I need to balance the weight and strength-training with quickness and flexibility.

I just finished the 3rd day of my second week (I started on a Thursday). Yoga is tomorrow (1.5 hours before work :( ).

By the way, I find the cooking meal plan a little weird. Some of the dinner portions are huge when compared to the others. I try to even them out a little more, as per the Body for Life plan: http://bodyforlife.com/nutrition/week1meals.asp

Freedom = $1.05 said:

Yes they do say some stuff about vegetarians in the nutrition guide. Not much but it sounds like you can easily do it.

Also look here.

GodofWine

I'd like to rip these DVDs onto my PS3 (convenience)....anyone know of a simple way to do this?

Im thinking use CPU to rip them (using what program?) and then using USB stick or ipod to transfer??

yay? nay?

nilbog21

Banned
Can someone give me an idea of what the diet consists of? And also do you need to buy their shakes, etc? I've looked through this thread and failed :/

Also do you need a resistance band? aren't those a joke?

nicjac

What is the easiest way to get the whole package in UK ? I currently live in a student room, what material and how much space is needed ? I used to go to the gym but with my current research project is gets really difficult to do so.

Halp, GAF!

Wife and I went ahead and started today, we were going to wait another week or so but the wife wanted to go ahead and get started.

Anyway, the first workout was about as hard as I remember it and I barely made it through Ab Ripper X, mowing the lawn an hour beforehand probably didn't help my energy level but oh well..

Anyway, I took some before pics, I'll consider posting after 90 days if I see some good results. I was at 206 pounds, wow, heaviest I think I've ever been, my goal is around 25 pound loss in the 90 days, we'll see if I can do it.

Top Bottom