• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your mobile phone history ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

Some Nokia phone I got as a gift 13 years ago and never used, lent it to a family member and they lost it.

That's it.

Cheap flip phones -> Galaxy S5 in 2015 -> Galaxy S7 last week. Real exciting I know. Funny how much a centerpiece the device becomes when you get accustomed to it.

kswiston

Flip Phones:
Motorola V51
Motorola V360
Motorola Razr

Smart Phones:
Motorola Backflip (I made a huge mistake)
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S6
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

I have had the S7 Edge for about 8 months. I had no plans on trading in my S6 so early (I had it 16 months), but the screen started showing signs of going prematurely. The cost of eventually fixing it wasn't worth it given that my cell company was offering me $350 trade-in, plus $150 off the S7 Edge.

I will probably keep the Edge for another 1.5 years, and then do a comparison between the latest Samsung and Google models.

shandy706

Tbh I can't remember any of my childhood phones (except for a Nokia) so I'll just list my smartphones instead.

2011 - 2017:

- Galaxy S2 (passed it on)
- Nexus 4 (broke it)
- Nexus 5 (broke it)
- Sony Xperia Z2 (broke it)
- Huawei P8 (broke it)
- Galaxy S7 Edge (current)

I umm... break a lot of phones. Thankfully I'm taking real good care of my S7 Edge. ^_^

My faves would be the S2 (being my first smartphone and all), the Xperia Z2 (damn fine phone) and of course the S7E. In the future I might check out iPhones, but I'm not a huge fan of iOS so we'll see.

I had a ton of cheap flip phones (and some "not flip phones") then I had a Razr, then I got an iPhone 3G through iPhone 5s, then I moved over to Samsung Notes. I've stuck with my Note 4 for a while now and still love it.

Despite having kids (one 9) that play with my phones throughout my smart-phone usage, I've yet to break a single phone screen....not even a crack, lol. (knocks on wood).

..AND I work as an Engineering Inspector...who has dropped his phone into 15' ditches...still didn't even scratch my phone (due to my heavy duty cases).

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Nokia 3310
Nokia 6230i
Nokia N95
LG GM360
Nexus 4
Huawei G8
Samsung S7 Edge

My first phone was a iPhone 3GS, second phone two years later was the Galaxy S2. After that I jumped around a bunch of different devices before settling with my current phone the iPhone 7. My favorite phone out of all of these was without a doubt the Moto X 2013.

LG: Optimus G, Optimus G Pro, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 5X.
Motorola: Moto X 2013, Moto X 2014,
Samsung: Galaxy S2, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 3.
Sony: Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Compact.
Apple: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7.
BlackBerry: Q10, Z10.
Nokia: Lumia 520, Lumia 640, Lumia 920, Lumia 1520.

compo

Banned
cheapest Samsung basic phone, circa 2006
cheapest Samsung basic phone, circa 2008
cheapest LG basic phone, circa 2010
Samsung Galaxy S3 (the one time I splurged)
Samsung Galaxy Victory
Motorola Moto E
Motorola Moto G4 Play

How do you like this phone so far? I've been waiting to hear about the Pixel 2 but I've also been considering OnePlus for my next upgrade.

Absolutely love it. Easily the best phone I've had, and the price is excellent for what you get (mine was $440 for the 64GB one brand new). The dash charging is a huge perk. I never need to charge it overnight, just plug it up for a half hour while I'm getting ready for work in the morning and it's already got a day's charge on it. And a fully charged battery lasts about a day and a half of regular use.

The only things I don't like about it is how easily it slides out of my hand and how hard & rectangular the corners are, but I'm thinking of getting a dbrand skin or a thicker case to help with that. I originally got one of the official OnePlus cases since I loved the design, but it turned out to be a lot flimsier than I expected, and doesn't help much with the grip.

Everything about the phone itself screams high quality though, from the physical build quality, to the snappy Android software, to the camera. It really does feel like a flagship phone, and I'm not even a little bit disappointed with it so far.

Can't remember the specific models of the pre smart phone era, but went through several Nokia, Motorola, and LG phones throughout the 90s. Moto Timeport P8767 was probably my favorite of this era with its tri color lcd.

My last non smart phone was a Motorola V710.

Smart phone history is much easier to remember:

Moto Q
Blackberry 8300
Blackberry 9700
iPhone 4S
iPhone 6

Will most likely get whatever new iPhone launches later this year.

Samus4145

Some Nokia
Some LG flip phone
Razr
Motorola something
(maybe LG) Versa
HTC Android something
Lumia 920 (best phone)
iPhone 6
Samsung s7 Edge

Oh god, so many. I know I've forgotten about 5.

Sagem MY-X5
Motorola SLVR L6
Motorola ROKR E1
Nokia N-Gage
Sony Ericsson W350i
Samsung Tocco Lite
Whatever this is:

samsung-2010-phones-picture-886.jpg

Nokia Lumia 620
Nokia Lumia 800
iPhone 4s
Meizu M2 note
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge

CSJ

Nokia 3310
Motorola Razr
Some random Huawei pos
Motorola E2

All pay as you go, don't really need much out of a phone being in front of a PC all day and night and my work commute is a few minutes.

FinKL

Super jealous of everyone with the OG iPhone, but I was a sworn Google could do no wrong guy back then so I patiently waited for their "iPhone" killer
Tinkered A LOT of custom roms with the first 2 phones, but started to realize it was way to much work for me to keep up on.

HTC G1 2008-2011 first android phone
LG G2x 2011-2013 first dual core android phone
HTC One M7 2013-2015 very similar to iphone aesthetic
iPhone 6+ (phone was super sluggish after a year, but out of the box was amazingly fast, felt ram held safari back) 2015-2016
iPhone 7+ 2016-2017

iPhone 8+ edition or whatever

You kids and your damn phones. My history is embarrassing compared to all of you:

Motorola T720
Motorola RAZR V3
LG Glimmer (Matrix phone w/ a touchscreen, loved it!)
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3

toohectic

Nokia 8210 (fantastic small phone)
Nokia 8210 (loved it so much, I got another)
Nokia ??? (Had to retire 8210 due to AT&T's network no longer supporting the standard. Didn't like the replacement phone at all, but hung on to it for a long while.)
iPhone 3G
iPhone 4S
iPhone 6 (current phone)

Jasup

Nokia 2010
Nokia 8110i
Nokia 3310
Nokia 6600 fold (worst of them all)
Nokia 6700 slide
Moto G4 Plus

That 2010 was a brick
220px-Nokia_2010_NHE-3DN.jpg

2009-2011
Motorola Razr

2011-2013
Some LG feature phone

2013-Present
Lumia 920

So basically, I'm always way behind the curve. I must not like change.

1. Nokia flip phone
2. T-Mobile sidekick (original with color)
3. T-Mobile sidekick II
4. T-Mobile sidekick 2008
5. T-Mobile sidekick LX (Tony Hawk)
6. HTC G2
7. iPhone 4s
8. Nexus 5
9. iPhone 6
11. Now, iPhone 7 plus

Leopold

Nokia 3310, some Samsung flip, LG Chocolate (it was quite bad and got stolen), Sony Ericsson w330i, Sony Ericsson Walkman Mobile, Motorola Droid, Sony Xperia Arc S, Sony Xperia ZQ, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (broken after 2 days), LG G3 and finally a Xperia Z5.

Cepheus

One of the early flip-phone Motorolas (2008-2009)
LG Cookie (2009-2014)
Some sort of Samsung inbetween (2010ish, barely used it at all)
iPhone 5C (2014-2016, smashed it)
iPhone 6 (2016- )
My next phone will most likely be an Android one.

I rarely ever used my phones up until my first iPhone (never topped any of them up since I first bought them, never called anyone or sent texts) and I think I'm on some sort of contract now. Even now, I only call people once or twice a month and never text anyone.
I only use Whatsapp/Telegram now.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Samsung U410
Samsung S730M

That's it. I'd still be using the 410 if I hadn't gotten the 730 for free. The 730 is a piece of junk though and I'm thinking it's about time that I upgrade it. Not sure what I'm going to move to though. Something that doesn't hard lock half the time when I turn on wifi would be nice.

jmdajr

Heck can't remember all the free flips phones.

But last two phones

HTC Thunderbolt
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (current)

I have only ever had two real smartphones.

PaulBizkit

barely
nobody quotes nobody: the thread

sony ericsson t290 - 2005
sony ericsson w580 - 2007
samsung galaxy - 2009
samsung galaxy something something... i cant remember... - 2011 i think
samsung galaxy core - 2013
samsung galaxy grand neo - 2016

Samsung Beat
HTC G1
HTC Evo 4G
HTC Evo 3D
Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
LG Nitro
Sony Xperia Z1S
LG G2
Motorola Nexus 6
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Samsung Galaxy Note 7
OnePlus 3

Some of us were adults then, and making purchasing decisions for stuff more than texting "friends during class."

Yeesh, the condescension here.

I've been an adult for a decade now, and I still don't remember half the shit I buy. I upgraded phones as recently as December, and I couldn't tell you the exact model number of phone I upgraded from. I know it was a Sony Xperia. Couldn't tell you the model. That's why I'm shocked that people know their flip phone models from 2000 and earlier.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I have only ever had 3 mobile phones. I didn't get a cell phone until 2005.

flip phone
iPhone 3
iPhone 6

Some old Motorola I don't even remember about
A couple of blackberry curves
Then my current a Samsung Galaxy S5

I don't change phones often.

Razorback

Only ever owned four phones.

yhk38qb.jpg

First phone, given by my parents. Didn't really need or want a phone at the time.

PyaCb50.jpg

First phone I bought with my own money. It was ok. I liked being able to listen to music on it.

Used it for like 5 years then lost it while drunk at a festival.

eB7KrTt.jpg

Got this next. I couldn't type texts for shit with normal phones so I got one with a qwerty keyboard. It was an ok phone. Also used it for about 5 years.

H6UBd5z.jpg

Finally got a smartphone. A Oneplus one. Everyone knows how great smartphones are. I dunked mine in a river last year. A horizontal strip of the screen doesn't recognize touch anymore. It still works, I ain't buying a new one anytime soon. Shit's expensive.

Ericsson GA628
Nokia 7110
Motorola MPX200
Sony Ericsson K750
Blackberry Storm 2
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Lenovo K910
Xiaomi Note 3 (Pro)

I messed around with a Japanese flip phone at some point and the original iPhone too. To me phones are now just rectangular touch screens that get faster each year. Since I only browse and stream video these days a cheap Chinese Android phone with a big screen is all I look for.

No clue. I had a bunch of solid and then flip phones from around the time I finished high school (2000) until 2012, when I got an iPhone.

Since then, I've gone from iPhone 4 to 5, then to a Note 4.

I'll probably go back to Apple next time, because now my kids have iPhones and all that, and it's just easier when it's all unified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom