• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wheel of Time: Books 1, 2 and 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Oh man. I've been meaning to read this series for years. I read the first book a couple years back, and I didn't like it then, but I generally like to finish the series I start, no matter how arduous. So a while ago, I decided to start reading it again, rereading the first book. It's a contentious series, to be sure, with some people saying it's their favorite, while others....not so much.

Where do I place? Well...let me put it like this. There is nothing I'd like better for this series than to gain an TV adaptation. Because there is some seriously cool stuff in here. There is always going to be special place in my heart for big, huge epic-y epics of epicness just because I love the sheer scale of these sorts of things. But putting aside all the magic hubub, there is cool characterization at play here. You have the trinity of heroes that are each going on their own unique paths, with a trio of heroine's playing politics at the major magical power center of the world, and you have a net of interesting characters inbetween. There are some people that say no TV show can can have the budget to do the magic of the series, which I have no idea about because I've seen some shows do pretty cool stuff with a cheap budget, but even if it's true...so what? Plenty of good TV shows haven't had the budget to do what they want, and even if they did, the old ones no longer look great due to the magic of time. But they still work because they can engage the audience, and at the end of the day, that's all you really need.

And a TV show's greatest asset will be that it can rewrite the scenes to have the characters act more rationally, more charmingly, and more I-dont-want-to-strangle-these-stupid-idiots-necks-ly. As I've said, there's stuff to like in WoT. There is also LOTS of stuff to dislike, such as nearly the entire cast.

Look, I hate the complaint "They're annoying" when applied to story characters. Unless you work to structure context around what is the problem, it's just a whine. And, frankly, it's applied disproportionately to female characters, so it makes me even more weary to use it. But it's the only real word that fits describing the cast as a whole. They're just a bunch of belligerent, bitchy putzes. Everything is a reason to berate, complain, insult, scold, and outrage at. The reasons always depend on the character, but almost every one is hard to suffer for it. The women, on average, seem to express it more than the men, but every time we step into a male's head, we see them quietly resenting this or that, and some, you could argue, are justified, but they eventually just blend together in a storm of bitchiness. So...yes, they're annoying. All of them. Jesus H. Light Christ, I cannot emphasize how annoying they all are.

The Characters

Okay, so as far as plot thread's go, I'm not the hugest fan of any of WoT's holy trinity. Perrin was my favorite as of Book 1, but the promise he showed as being the one halfway reasonable guy quickly went down the drain as he actually started his story. Rand has an actual reason for wanting to resist his destiny, but I have no idea why he spends three books bitching about his ability to talk to wolves even after he finds out it's not connected to the Dark One's powers. He's presented as thoughtful, but he's just contrarian more often than not. Rand is much like this. He basically has to be dragged into being the dragon kicking and screaming and...it just gets tiring. I know that being a male channeler kinda sucks and all, but I grew less and less sympathetic since he spends the whole time trying to avoid the problem rather than fix it. It's only as of book 3 that he decides "Okay, I'm just gonna go and end it all for now", but he's absent for literally more than 90% of the book. And then there's Mat....

Okay, with him, I went in with certain expectations, because I think he's my most hated character. He spent the entirety of book 1 becoming evil because he's a fucking moron that stole the obviously evil artifact and kept it on him so long that it's now killing him. Then in book 2, he was better because he was atleast trying not to be a complete fucktard and then at the end, actually did something really clever and cool and blew the Horn that won the battle. It's probably my favorite moment of the series so far, as I just genuinely didn't think that it would go down like that, and it lead to something really epic. Then I was told that Book 3 is where Mat starts to really get good, from the moment he wakes up. Keep in mind, he was in a coma up until now when the Aes Sedai healed him. And the first think he thinks when he wakes up? Of course he bitches about his friends being stupid. And then he thinks to steal the ruby of the dagger that make him evil/sick again, saying he intended to give it to his neighbors with the hopes that it would drive them to the same depravity it drove him. This fucking cunt...And then he has to be persuaded into doing a favor for the 3 women that saved him, and then he resents it when things actually start to get hard in making good on that favor. Like, I know he's not as evil as I'm making him out here (And I know this because the book specifically goes out of it's way to tell me how he's all mushy underneath his annoying exterior)...but honestly, fuck this kid. Though I think I understand atleast why he's the popular choice. Of the 3 protagonists, he's the only one who doesn't really drag his feet. Which isn't to say he doesn't complain, because god knows he does, with far less justification, but he seems eager to take pleasure where he can. Rand bitches endlessly about being the second coming of Christ, Perrin bitchest endlessly about being able to talk to wolves. Mat gets supernatural luck, and he goes "Fuck yeah! Hand me the money!"

Meanwhile, Nynaeve, Egwene and Elayne are...well, epic fail. In the first book, they didn't have much to do, but in the second and third, they're get 1 job and they just fuck it up somehow or another. The second book was especially bad, with how they go "Lets go help Rand!" Only to captured by an obviously evil Aes Sedai and then have to send the rest of the book getting out of that. The next one, they were supposed to hunt down the evil Aes Sedai, and they eventually do, but it sucks how they get captured by them the moment they enter the city, and then only turn the tables because the evil ones made the brain meltingly stupid mistake of not searching them. For all that though, I think I like these girls storylines most because, even more than Mat, they move forward with their plots in a deliberate manner. Nynaeve is the one I'm most surprised at liking. She's the single most beligerant woman I've ever encountered in fiction, but frankly, if I was stuck in this world, I'd hate everyone on some level as well. As opposed to Egwene, who simply drives me crazy. The last few books have just been rebelling against Nynaeve for literally no reason except....well, teenage rebellion and authority issues. This, atleast, I can't say is unrealistic, but holy crap, this woman saved your ass from slavery, and the first response she has for Nyneave after that in the next book is passive aggressiveness. And Elayne....she's just kinda there.

The Writing

Okay, the actual writing is just bad. It's bloated, repetitious, dialogue sounds extremely unnatural, it repeats itself unnecessary, it's often a lot less clever than it thinks it is, there's a lot of filler, and it keeps saying the same thing over and over. No matter how many times it was spoken, "The Wheel Weaves as the Wheel wills" is never something that sounds meaningful, especially when it's followed by an explanation of that phrase, that basically always comes down to "Sometimes we know whats gonna happen, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we can change what will happen, sometimes we can't."

I don't know if Jordan was being paid by the word or something, but the amount of text that's simply unnecessary could probably take off 50 pages per book at least. For example, here is Egwene wondering what the Black Ajah are doing: "Where are they? What do they want in the Heart? None but the Dragon— none but Rand— can touch Callandor, so what do they want? What? What?" Basically, the same question asked 4 times. It's something that's already been discussed before plenty of times, and her wondering about it AGAIN adds nothing. If there was a need to establish that she was thinking about them before going to sleep, it could have been done in one, maybe 2 sentences. Another example is Rand waking up: "...Rand woke the others just at daybreak. The sun yet hid below the horizon, but there was light enough to see." Yes, Rand, that IS what daybreak is, when the sun is just starting to get over the horizon.

Look, I know, okay? These seem like small, tiny extreneous details that virtually every book has. Except this happens almost every page, almost every paragraph. I'm no minimalist, okay? Sometimes, you include something just because it helps set the mood a bit better, or maybe describes the environment, or maybe just because it sounds too nice to exclude. I understand that and am fine with a bit of bloat, especially when it ultimately serves to make the story feel more 'real', something harder to do with minimalist text. One of my favorite series of all time is ASoIaF. But WoT goes well and beyond 'a bit of bloat'. There is so often a bunch of text dedicated to telling you information you already know, or might be interesting worldbuilding but is ultimately unnecessary at that point in time, or is actually completely worthless. If there is a TV show, having someone rewrite the scenes to make it go more smoothly will be the biggest contribution that can be made to the story.

And what scares me the most? This is supposed to be the part of the series that's 'tightly written'. Everyone says so, that it's whats ahead that's when the editor just seemed to fall asleep at the wheel and let Jordan run wild. I am actually fearful for what is ahead if what I'm reading now is Jordan at his most restrained.

Boys and Girls and the World

Eh...okay, so this is a series that STRONGLY believes in the gender binary. It has it's magic system designed around it, it has every character in the world believe in it....and I'm someone who simply doesn't buy into this at all in RL. Still, it's a fascinating idea, if magic affected one gender differently than another, and that bleeds into the worldbuilding of how our gender stereotypes would be turned on it's head if all of a sudden it was women who held power while men were the weaker sex due to that. And, credit where it's due, there are a lot of books that like to claim they give women an equal but seperate role in their world to men without actually doing so. Here, they have women in high political positions in just about every corner of the world. While sexism is alive and well, it now targets women as much as men. WoT, while definitely not perfect in this regard, does it better than most, even if I am philosophically opposed to that idea at all.

The biggest problem with this is that it feeds into part of what makes the characters so annoying. When men and men interact, it's one thing, and same thing with women and women. But when men and women interact, each one is representative of the whole of their gender. Egwene can't just be angry at Rand for being stupid, she's angry at ALL men for being stupid, because Rand is just like any other man. Similarly, Mat can't be a selfish ingrate by saying Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne are manipulating him, it's ALL women who are like this. It's so ridiculous and frustrating to watch, because if these numbskulls can't see anyone as individuals, then any complaints they have about the person they're talking to are moot and they're just being angry for no reason.

The gender power dynamic stuff aside, I've also got questions about the religion. I mean, everyone seems to uniformly believe in the Light and the Creator and the Dark One (who are both oddly male, given how much the series bases itself in the philosophy that there is a male and female half to everything), yet there aren't any priests, scripts, churches or anything that I recall. I actually looked this up, and Jordan apparently said something about how proofs of religion are apparent in this universe, so anyone questioning them would be looked upon as odd. But I don't feel they really are. The proofs they have are 1. That there is a magical power that only females seem to be able to use without consequence for self harm 2. that saying the Dark One's name causes bad shit to happen. Other than that, all you have are histories that everyone themselves says are dubious and uncertainly translated, something everyone is atleast vaguely aware of even in back water, isolated villages like Two Rivers that are supposed to be cut off from the rest of the world. Even the Aiel who have been stuck in the wastelands for their own time. So, without any kind of organization maintaining this kind of belief system, I'm not sure how people know about the Light, the Creator or anything. Shaitan could just as easily be a curse word that works as a magical mechanism rather than a malicious being who goes where he hears his name.

But otherwise, WoT has a pretty interesting world, even if it could be delivered better narratively speaking. Prophecies and destined chosen ones are tropes that are looked less kindly on these days, but the reason they have power is that they are a promise that whatever is going to happen is going to be world changing, and that's one element of epic fantasy that I like.

I was gonna write more, but I've written enough. I won't be reading Books 4, 5, and 6 immediately. I have a few other books I want to read before getting back to this series. But that's where I'm at as of now.

Good writeup. I agree with a lot of your points. I read up to book 9 and just gave up. It became beyond bloated and I didn't even remember half of those characters. And new ones kept popping up. Pity I guess, since people tell me the last books by Sanderson are the best ones. Oh well.

Veelk

Banned
Good writeup. I agree with a lot of your points. I read up to book 9 and just gave up. It became beyond bloated and I didn't even remember half of those characters. And new ones kept popping up. Pity I guess, since people tell me the last books by Sanderson are the best ones. Oh well.

I think I read up to the...first quarter-first third of Stormlight Archives. After that I dropped it with the intention of finishing it at some point, but by now I'd probably have to reread the parts I read.

He's similar to Jordan in that I like a lot of the concepts he's playing around with, but his actual writing leaves something to be desired. He doesn't have the repetition/bloat issue that Jordan has, and he's able to make everything sound much more natural, but something simply didn't click for me all the same with him.

I remember reading that Gathering of Storms that Jordan gets out of his rut and starts making things actually happen again, so I'll be curious to see how "active Jordan" stacks up against Sanderson.

Regiruler

Did you finish book 9? The climax in Winter's Heart was really good, that's a strange place to quit.

You only had 10 to deal with and it'd then be smooth sailing, because knife of dreams is easily one of the best books in the series.

The first book feels so out of place looking back.

As to the rest of the books, I am weird in that I LOVE the slow political stuff just as much as the action... so some of my favorite books in the series are the slowest.

Regiruler

The first book feels so out of place looking back.

As to the rest of the books, I am weird in that I LOVE the slow political stuff just as much as the action... so some of my favorite books in the series are the slowest.
There feels like at least 4 threads that are used in Eye but never used again. The green man just shows up, dies, and is never mentioned again except in passing (in new spring I think) and expanded material.

It's super weird. And the dreams definitely feel a lot more wild and fear-inducing.

Veelk

Banned
The first book feels so out of place looking back

I'm only 3 books in, but it's the climax that feels wierder than anything. The main part of the book is just traveling and seeing random stuff.

But then they go to Super Magic Land where they casually meet a living legendary creature of some kind and kill 2 of the forsaken and....then just kinda forget about it.

Speaking of the Forsaken, is Ba'alzamon dead for real this time? This clown has been killed every book he showed up in and does nothing but keep trying to seduce Rand even though that's clearly not gonna happen. He's annoying and lame and completely unthreatening.

marzlapin

There's some cool worldbuilding in WoT and that's about the only good thing I can say about it. It's definitely bloated and the female characters suffer from that thing that (generally) male authors sometimes do where they conflate "strong female character" with "wretched irritable harpy". Also Rand got a little too Gary Stu for me when
women started voluntarily forming a harem because he's just that awesome
. I mean come on.

Veelk

Banned
They've already done a live action version of the prologue.

It looked shit.

In fairness, that was obviously just FX being underhanded bastards to keep the IP rights to themselves even though they're not doing anything with them.

It would be quite different if they actually tried.

I think it needs an animation adaption rather than live action treatment

Maybe. I'm okay with anything so long as it cuts down on the BS.

Mat gets better. He's always a bit of a rogue-ish type, but he does improve. Perrin is alright when he's not moping about a woman or his kickass wolf powers. Rand is a dick, and while there's a reason for it, it doesn't really make it better for the reader. He is at least written intentionally as a dick and it gets addressed later.

Female characters are definitely Jordan's weak point. Not much I can really say about that. Same with the gender binary, it just is. It's old fashioned fantasy and as far as I remember that's not really questioned.

It's a hell of a long serious that gets overly bloated and spills plot points and side characters everywhere. But if you stick with it, stick with it until the end because it is a fantastic series, warts and all. Personally I did use audio books to help get through some of the problem books (someone will probably give you more specific numbers).

As far as a TV adaption goes, some focus and well designed changes planned in advance could give us something amazing. Have to agree that as awesome as a live-action adaption is in my head, an animated series with a solid budget and strong art direction is probably the best bet.

Tugsbraidsmoothesskirt.jpg

I made it through the first five books before quitting because they were just too uneven and sitting through enough bad material to fill out a smaller book just for the parts I liked was just not worth it anymore. I remember each of them as being something like...

Eye of the World - slow and pretty lame start, picked up and got more interesting towards the end

The Great Hunt - legitimately great throughout, great worldbuilding, good pacing, clear favorite of the bunch.

The Dragon Reborn - the first half was one of the biggest slogs imaginable but the second half was incredibly good, especially the climax.

The Shadow Rising - a bit more even, lower highs than TDR but never getting quite as bad or boring

The Fires of Heaven - possibly the most frustrating because it oscillated so drastically from 200 pages of greatness to 200 pages of slog and then back and forth until the book was over. Great climax like basically all of them though, Jordan was really good at writing them.

Mat was the best, I don't really remember any other particular stand out characters other than him now that it's been ~6 years since I last read any of it.

TheChaos0

I'm still trying to reread the series since the last 3 books came out. I'm only at book 3 after 2 years, for variety of reasons including Jordan's endless descriptions. I love the series though, it definitely a bit bloated. The characters grow really slowly in the series but boy do they grow and change. Keep on reading! Book 3 is literally the end of the prologue.

MartyStu

I would say Book 5 is around when I started to really notice that something was...off about the series. I think it is the last entry I genuinely liked until the last two entries of the series.

Of course by then I hated every character except: Pre-Sanderson Mat, Perfect Rand, Min, Androl and Pevara.

I think if I were to pick up the series at 26 as opposed to 12, I would have most likely given up midway through book 2. Adult me has not patience for substandard prose. Even less for shoddy dialogue.

Laekon

The Great Hunt - legitimately great throughout, great worldbuilding, good pacing, clear favorite of the bunch.

This was the first fantasy book I read out and it from the first chapter I couldn't put it down. I grew tired of the series but finally finished it once the last books were available in the library.

I got all the way up to book 12 (or whichever one was finished after Jordan died) but lost the motivation and haven't finished the series yet. I do want to go back, largely because I'm interested to know what happens with BIG SPOILERS:
Moiraine and Lanfear

It is a good series but it's definitely incredibly bloated.

Soodes

Two years ago I read through all 13 of them, it became a slow read and took me over a year to finish them all. There's a lot of concepts and ideas that I really like, and after finishing them it was easy to see how they have affected different mediums. I'm happy I read them and I enjoyed them for the most part.

But yeah I agree with all of your points, I felt that for the first half of every book he just reintroduced all the characters all over again and reiterated over and over again about how girls and boys are different. Reading them all back to back like that became a bit too much in that regard. The last hundred pages of the books were usually used to wrap everything up in a hurried manner and everything would usually culminate very quickly.

I'd love to see a slightly different or edited take on it, as I do love the world and story, Mat was the character that became the most fun for me by the end of the series, perhaps because he became the least serious one of them all.

Veelk

Banned
Tugsbraidsmoothesskirt.jpg

I remember thinking that I'd make fun of this tic when I'd do my write up, but this is something the books were ahead of me on. Stuff I was going to say like "I'm amazed she doesn't pull her hair out" is stuff that is actually in the books.

Also, while I know 'snfifing' at someone is an actual phrase, it's used so frequently that I eventually just imagine women getting up close and actually getting wiffs of people's scents when they got angry. It was good for a hilarious mental image.

I would say Book 5 is around when I started to really notice that something was...off about the series. I think it is the last entry I genuinely liked until the last two entries of the series.

Of course by then I hated every character except: Pre-Sanderson Mat, Perfect Rand, Min, Androl and Pevara.

I think if I were to pick up the series at 26 as opposed to 12, I would have most likely given up midway through book 2. Whilst the world is actually pretty cool, the prose is soooo bad. And the dialogue much worse.

That doesn't bode well. It means I basically have 2 books left of having something decent to read before the series drives itself off a cliff.

It sounds very much like the Books will be made into a TV Series, and this time Jordan's widow, Harriet McDougal, is in control and a "major studio" is involved, so maybe this actually has a shot at being good:

ars technica: The Wheel of Time turns… into a “cutting-edge TV series”

Good. I wish them much success and hopefully succinct writers.

MartyStu

This was the first fantasy book I read out and it from the first chapter I couldn't put it down. I grew tired of the series but finally finished it once the last books were available in the library.

Yeah, the great hunt was one of my favorites too. If you skip the bloated adventures of the tower girls (and you should skip 75% of that on re-reads), I think I actually prefer 'The Fires of Heaven' or 'Lord of Chaos' for Min/Avi and the Aile stuff.

All that aside, Winter's Heart probably has one of the best climaxes in the series.

ZoronMaro

I think that's basically how I felt after reading the first three books. After that the repetition and lack of any real development in the characters really got to me and I think the 5th book was the last one I read.

I do want to give it another shot since I love Brandon Sanderson and I hear he ended the series well, but at this point I've forgotten so much I'd have to start over from the beginning and I don't really want to go slogging through those books again. At some point I'll probably get the audiobooks, and hopefully that'll be less boring

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I read the whole series back to back a few years ago and I really enjoyed most of it and was heavily invested, but man I really disliked the authors take on "strong women".
In general actually, the more I think about it, a lot of the characters became giant unlikable pieces of shit as the series continued. I think it speaks to the strength of the world itself and the overall story that I remained so entertained and invested despite hating everyone involved.

MartyStu

That doesn't bode well. It means I basically have 2 books left of having something decent to read before the series drives itself off a cliff.

Post book 3, Rand and Mat's stories remain consistently solid and fairly engaging until book 6 and pick back up again at book 9, then again at book 11, 13, 14.

I point to Mat and Rand because I am fairly convinced that Jordan particular favored these two characters. Eventually to their detriment.

Veelk

Banned
Post book 3, Rand and Mat's stories remain consistently solid and fairly engaging until book 6 and pick back up again at book 9, then again at book 11, 13, 14.

I point to Mat and Rand because I am fairly convinced that Jordan particular favored these two characters. Eventually to their detriment, but he does some interesting stuff with them along the way.

We'll see. I was also told Mat gets awesome in book 3, and even discounting how he's a complete ingrate to his friends, the stuff he actually does rely on acknowledged narrative convienence.

Like, the fight he has with the two Morgase boys. He's been comatose for months, is super weak, and these two guys are fairly well trained in the sword from what I heard. He somehow beats their ass with a quarter staff with no explanation, and the trainer at the end is all "You know what the one time the greatest swordsman ever lost a battle was? It was against a farmer with a quarterstaff! Remember that, lads!"

...What in the everfucking Light are they supposed to remember? Not to challenge farmers with quarterstaffs? Why not train everyone in the quarterstaff if he's implying it's the superior weapon. Mat winning that fight makes no goddamn sense and I didn't think it was awesome at all, it was, like you said, the writer clearly favoring a character. Not even Mat's supernatural luck means anything here because it's established that it has to rely on chance, and there isn't much chancy about that kind of fight.

That 'awesome' moment just made me hate the smarmy fuck more, so if that's what you mean, I'm probably not going to be able to join you in that particular party. But does this atleast mean Rand stops dragging his feet already?

siddx

Yeah I found that scene with Matt and the quarter staff beat down to be very odd as well. It just seemed to come out of nowhere and unless I missed something I got zero indication prior to that that Matt had any fighting ability whatsoever.
Matt never stops being a smarmy little fuck who you want to punch in the throat, but the story happening around him gets very interesting.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah I found that scene with Matt and the quarter staff beat down to be very odd as well. It just seemed to come out of nowhere and unless I missed something I got zero indication prior to that that Matt had any fighting ability whatsoever.
Matt never stops being a smarmy little fuck who you want to punch in the throat, but the story happening around him gets very interesting.

Nope, I specifically went back and checked the last books for any entry of the word 'staff'. Most of it was referenced to Moiraine's staff, but there was literally nothing in relation to Mat. And I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't mentioned earlier in the book. It was just "Oh, doncha know that I'm the best staff fighter in the Two Rivers" before he fought them.

Ugh. Fuck Mat.

MartyStu

We'll see. I was also told Mat gets awesome in book 3, and even discounting how he's a complete ingrate to his friends, the stuff he actually does rely on acknowledged narrative convienence.

Like, the fight he has with the two Morgase boys. He's been comatose for months, is super weak, and these two guys are fairly well trained in the sword from what I heard. He somehow beats their ass with a quarter staff with no explanation, and the trainer at the end is all "You know what the one time the greatest swordsman ever lost a battle was? It was against a farmer with a quarterstaff! Remember that, lads!"

...What in the everfucking Light are they supposed to remember? Not to challenge farmers with quarterstaffs? Why not train everyone in the quarterstaff if he's implying it's the superior weapon. Mat winning that fight makes no goddamn sense and I didn't think it was awesome at all, it was, like you said, the writer clearly favoring a character. Not even Mat's supernatural luck means anything here because it's established that it has to rely on chance, and there isn't much chancy about that kind of fight.

That 'awesome' moment just made me hate the smarmy fuck more, so if that's what you mean, I'm probably not going to be able to join you in that particular party. But does this atleast mean Rand stops dragging his feet already?

Uhh, Sort of. He accepts who and what he is, but then proceeds to find all sorts of new ways to annoy and frustrate. Also becomes a bit of a
dick
when he is not around
one of his girlfriends.
So if you think Mat is insufferable now...

As for Mat, you will learn to appreciate him when you have to slog through 3 - 4 Elayne chapters. Or god forbid, Perrin chapters.

And just so we are clear: 'Solid and engaging' has a big ol' 'for this series' caveat.

P.S. Learn to love undeserved powerups. Mat gets several more.

Veelk

Banned
Uhh, Sort of. He accepts who and what he is, but then proceeds to find all sorts of new ways to annoy and frustrate. Also becomes a bit of a
dick
when he is not around
one of his girlfriends.
So if you think Mat is insufferable now...

As for Mat, you will learn to appreciate him when you have to slog through 3 - 4 Elayne chapters. Or god forbid, Perrin chapters.

And just so we are clear: 'Solid and engaging' has a big ol' 'for this series' caveat.

P.S. Learn to love undeserved powerups. Mat gets several more.

Of course he does. *sigh*

As far as Elayne goes....eh, Elayne is alright. She's boring, but atleast she isn't "hey, see how there's no reason to have a problem? Why don't I go ahead and invent one for you". I guess I prefer that over Egwene.

Speaking of, is there a reason that Egwene and Nynaeve aren't Ta'verin?

This is getting a bit ahead of where I'm at, but the changes they make to the world are pretty massive, aren't they? So why don't they get the "Actual main character" marker?

MartyStu

Of course he does. *sigh*

As far as Elayne goes....eh, Elayne is alright. She's boring, but atleast she isn't "hey, see how there's no reason to have a problem? Why don't I go ahead and invent one for you". I guess I prefer that over Egwene.

Speaking of, is there a reason that Egwene and Nynaeve aren't Ta'verin?

This is getting a bit ahead of where I'm at, but the changes they make to the world are pretty massive, aren't they? So why don't they get the "Actual main character" marker?

Before the series ended, there were fan theories that quite literally postulated just that. Unfortunately...

...Being Ta'verin has some quite literal applications much later on that distinguishes it from plot convenience/contrivance.

As for Elayne, she eventually becomes the new Egwene. Egwene is relatively okay for a bit. Then some laughable fuckery happens.

15 years ago, when I first head of Wheel of Time, I was excited. A series by Robert Jordan (RIP), who was my second favorite writer of Conan stories next to the legendary REH himself, spanning multiple books. At the time, I was expecting a combination of the brutal themes found in the Conan stories mixed with the breadth of the Lord of the Rings universe. To this day, this series sits at the top of my biggest disappointments as a fantasy literature fan. Worse than a Dance with Dragons; worse than Wizard's First Rule; worse than all the post-Servant of the Shard novels from R.A. Salvatore.

The characters were childish and annoying. The men in the books are treated like shit for being dumbasses (which they are) by the women who were not any smarter, and if there's a more shameless ripoff of the Lord of the Rings (not named the Sword of Shannara), then I wouldn't know what that is. Since it was so long ago that I read the first 3 books of the series, I cannot remember the excruciating details (which is a boon, I suppose), but the one thing that I do remember is the number of times so-n-so told so-n-so to do something or "they'd regret the day their father stole their mother's kiss."

IMO, it was an awful series. Not for me, and a huge letdown from a Robert Jordan fan.

siddx

While I do agree to some degree with most of your criticisms, I never felt it was trying to be even remotely like lord of the rings.

Veelk

Banned
One thing I didn't talk as much about is the sheer idiocy of some of the stuff in the series. Like, stuff that is just brain meltingly dumb.

For example, the Aes Sedai initiation ritual. The go-to policy for finding the...artifacts (this series really needs to stop with it's stupid fantasy names for things that don't need them) from the Age of Legend is generally to leave it the fuck alone until they figure out what it does. That's fairly reasonable, good idea to prevent people from doing something stupid. Except the gate thingy that's used for the initiation ritual. When people step through it, they seem to enter world where their greatest loves/fears are there. And it is unknown whether this is some kind of illusion or if it's real. Some Aes Sedai were never able to channel the One Power again.

"Why don't we," Said the Amyrlin Seat one fateful day, presumably intoxicated, "use that thingy we don't know what it even is as a final test on our noobs?" And in classic emperor wears no clothes fashion, no one decided to question this. Because when you have a group of potential wizards that don't know shit, you want to let them play around with what could be a reality warping ticking bomb for all you know.

Before the series ended, there were fan theories that quite literally postulated just that. Unfortunately...

...Being Ta'verin has some quite literal applications much later on that distinguishes it from plot convenience/contrivance.
I see, but what I mean is, why not make Egwene and Nynaeve Ta'veren as well narratively? I mean, again, with the gender binary, it'd make sense if half (or close to) of the Two Rivers folk were in the same boat as the guys. Especially since I'm reading there was yet another boy that was in early drafts of the first book that was going to be Ta'veren. Since being Ta'veren is mostly just a way of saying you're special, why not atleast have Egwene as special as well? I mean, maybe I'm wrong and whatever plot related mechanism you're referring to might have been impossible to write around, but in most cases, that's not how fiction works.

I'm just saying it's strange that the Ta'veren club is such a sausage fest for no reason I can really make out. Edit: wait, I'm actually thinking about this wrong. Gender binary means there needs to be a seperate version of Ta'veren just for women, because Ta'veren being inclusive to both genders would go against it. Fittingly though, that pretty much solves whatever narrative issue you were referring to. Just make it so that La'veren can't do that.

siddx

The Aes Sedai were 100% villains throughout the series to me. Arrogant and incompetent to a dangerous degree. I found them infuriating.

The series did slog on in the middle for a while, but when Brandon Sanderson takes over? Holy shit, does it get good. It also ends really well. Not knocking Jordan at all, but Sanderson did an amazing job of wrapping it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom