• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you say "hi" to people and they ignore you (short rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't aware I'd gone back to middle school. I hate this so, so much. If they're around their (and your) friends, they'll say something, but apart? Nope. It's petty.

Hasn't happened in a year-ish, but I just remembered 'cause of a friend. And for the record, I personally don't talk to people if they're with someone of the opposite sex that I don't know (unless they initiate), so this is different - when they clearly see you.

This JUST happened to me today. He could have been hungover or his music was loud he didn't hear me, but he walked right by me. Ya its pretty immature.

eh, people are weird about that. sometimes they acknowledge your hello int ehir mind but they don't return it back but in their mind they aren't being jerks..... at least I think that's what it is. bet you next time they'll say hello.

I'm probably that guy whenever I go to visit my parents in the city I grew up in, but it's only because everyone I knew in high school was an asshole and I have zero interest in talking to them.

Aguirre

wanna know what's worse? when you're with a friend and they wave and have a quick chat to someone they know but you dont. then everytime you see that person you've got to wave even though you dont know them or necessarily like them.

Anatopism

Neo Member
Eh, maybe they didn't want to stop and talk.

But it is pretty rude if you know them and they have the time to respond.

Well get over it to some degree. Some people are a bit Asberger's syndrome and might not be meaning to slight you at all.

I get annoyed when people start inferring false narratives because of someone not responding to something minor.

Rayis

I'm guilty of this, well not necessarily like that, If people say hi to me, I say hi to them back, but I deliberately avoid people as to not have to say hi to them

Eh, maybe they didn't want to stop and talk.

But it is pretty rude if you know them and they have the time to respond.

Once I was in my room and this girl came by - friend's girlfriend. I say hi, and she totally ignores me until my friend (her bf) asks her why she didn't say hi.

For the record, before this, she'd say hi to me in the hallways when said friend wasn't around, and hell, I hung out with her and her best friend before (he's in a separate friend group of mine). It's like, really?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I'm pretty aloof, so I won't even notice when people say hi to me sometimes, by the time I do, it is too late and they're already making a thread on NeoGAF calling me an asshole.

jorma

is now taking requests
I've sometimes been told that i've done this, but i have no such recollection at all. If i did it was never on purpose.

I try to keep that in mind and give people the benefit of the doubt whenever someone does it to me, because it's pretty fucking annoying when it happens :p

equap

Banned
I wasn't aware I'd gone back to middle school. I hate this so, so much. If they're around their (and your) friends, they'll say something, but apart? Nope. It's petty.

Hasn't happened in a year-ish, but I just remembered 'cause of a friend. And for the record, I personally don't talk to people if they're with someone of the opposite sex that I don't know (unless they initiate), so this is different - when they clearly see you.
it's annoying when this shit happens at a work place where you're suppose to be courteous and professional.

my trick is to keep doing it until they realize what an asshole they've been and finally return a hello.

Guess what? They end up looking stupid, because of their petty internal calculations as to whether saying 'Hi' back affects their social status.... While you end up looking good, because you have more important things on your mind. Be the bigger person, keep saying Hi.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
There's no need to linger on something like that, You have no idea what is going on with the person who isn't responding back to your greeting. I mean most of the time with a number of my acquaintances, they usually either 1. Didn't notice I was there or 2. Just ignoring me because they weren't in the mood to talk. 3. Were in their own world at the time.

It's no big deal.

Anatopism

Neo Member
Once I was in my room and this girl came by - friend's girlfriend. I say hi, and she totally ignores me until my friend (her bf) asks her why she didn't say hi.

For the record, before this, she'd say hi to me in the hallways when said friend wasn't around, and hell, I hung out with her and her best friend before (he's in a separate friend group of mine). It's like, really?

So yeah... definitely falling in the latter category I mentioned of having the time, knowing you, and just not saying anything. I mean if she's at you and your friend's place... -__-

Did she answer why she didn't say hi? I assume not, but I'd hope she missed it or something...

It depends on the person. If someone is feeling down and is too busy looking at the ground, they might not notice you. I've been there and it feels shitty, we are lost in thought and can't help trying not to notice the world around us. But if you make eye contact and they notice you, and they still don't respond, then yeah they are dicks.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Some girl from high school was so pissed that I didn't say hi to her, she defriended me on facebook, and then later throughout the course tried to win me back.

wtf

Some days I just wanna be left alone with my headphones.

Whenever people blank me, I always make a point of calling them out on it later, mainly so they can feel as awkward as I do trying to get someone's attention in public and failing.

It usually results in a somewhat grovelling apology, so I say take my advice.

EDIT: Oh, when they clearly see you? Yeah that never happens to me. :lol

Mondriaan

Many people spend much of their time in autopilot. Many people's autopilot modes don't have a greet module, or even when they normally reflexively greet back, it gets turned off when they're actively thinking about something else.

The one thing to be said about autopilot is that it lets you save your mental energy for something else.

Even worse: when someone you know says "Hi", you kindly wave back or give them a nod, and then they turn around and are all like "Why you ignoring me, bro?". I acknowledged you, guy. What more do you want from me? We haven't spoken in 5 years.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm probably one of those ignoring folks.
People repeatedly come up to me and are all "Hey, why I said Hi and you didnt even react"

And the truth is, I sometimes don't notice people saying Hi at all, it completely passes me by, it's like I'm "deaf" to social interaction in the form of saying "Hi" at times.

I can even look in their general direction without noticing them, it's kind of weird really. And it's a constant worry of mine that people think I'm a dick because I don't say hi back :(.

So yeah... definitely falling in the latter category I mentioned of having the time, knowing you, and just not saying anything. I mean if she's at you and your friend's place... -__-

Did she answer why she didn't say hi? I assume not, but I'd hope she missed it or something...

Well, I don't live with her bf (he came by my room with her), but no, she didn't answer.

Anatopism

Neo Member
Well, I don't live with her bf (he came by my room with her), but no, she didn't answer.

Oh that's even weirder. I'm currently sitting at university so I think I just assumed you were in a dorm or something since I wondered why she'd be at your house if she ignored you XP

sadly some people just aren't that memorable...I remember walking somewhere and this girl said hi to me as if she'd known me her entire life...I gave an awkward hello back but I had no clue who she was.

Just wait until the wonderful world of having a corporate job. Hate it when people avoid replying.

I must pass by around 75-100 people a day at work, so I understand not wanting to acknowledge/smile/nod at every person you come across, but if someone says hi to you, and you look at them, then look away, then yeah, that person is an asshole.

DJMicLuv

Maybe they didn't say 'Hi' because they don't actually like you and don't really want to interact with you. It's possible.

zero_suit

sadly some people just aren't that memorable...I remember walking somewhere and this girl said hi to me as if she'd known me her entire life...I gave an awkward hello back but I had no clue who she was.

Haha, that happened a lot when I was in college. I usually just waved at them.

Maybe they didn't say 'Hi' because they don't actually like you and don't really want to interact with you. It's possible.

Well again, in my fun little anecdote, she would say hi to me any time she saw me in the halls. Apparently it was just something she did when her bf was with her.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I am pretty much the nicest person I know, but sometimes when I'm walking or doing something I get tunnel vision and miss hellos. Always feel bad about that, so don't discount it as a possibility.

It's pretty solid over here in the NYC/LI area. People always respond (usually with a question like "What's up?" and "How are you?" that they don't actually expect an answer for, but that's another rant), generally smiling.

Oakland, CA is really the only place that I have observed people consistently not returning hellos/waves/smiles.

Sometimes I have tunnel vision, and sometimes I just don't feel like engaging another person. If you are personally offended as if this is some slight against your character, you need to settle down a bit.

Seanspeed

Banned
I really do hate people that lack common courtesy. I can be having a terrible day and if somebody says hi, at the very least I can give a little wave if I dont feel like talking.

Anatopism

Neo Member
I am pretty much the nicest person I know, but sometimes when I'm walking or doing something I get tunnel vision and miss hellos. Always feel bad about that, so don't discount it as a possibility.

I'd note that sometimes by the time I realize someone has said something to me we've just passed by each other and it feels odd to turn back and say hi if they're still going >__<

Meatfist

The worst is when someone says hi to you and you totally blank out on their name.

This gorgeous girl walked by me the other day and said "hey [Meatfist], how's it going?" and I'm still kicking myself for not remembering who she was :p

Clydefrog

I did the opposite thing last night at the Whole Foods check-out line.

The checkout girl was like "do you come in here for lunch sometimes?" and I replied, "uh, no. why?" "oh, just thought I've seen you around before." "Nope! Not me! ... but I plan on coming in for lunch sometime soon. It looks like you guys have really good food. She replies, "Yeah.. ok" Then I keep going "I WILL come by soon for lunch! Oh, I plan on it! Yep! ..." *awkwardly walks away*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom