• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where Do Dedicated Handhelds Go From Here?

antibolo

Banned
You guys need to expand your horizons and look outside the fucking US. The Vita is doing pretty well in Japan, hell it's currently number one in sales this week.

I think Sony will just gently fade away from the handheld market.
The Vita doesn't sell in the west, but it actually has pretty good software support(mainly indies) and it makes a bit of money for Sony.
The Vita is doing ok in Japan.
Sony will just keep it going, but they won't build another handheld after the Vita.

Nintendo in the other side is doing fine all over the world with the 3DS, but they have other problems. They are basically dead in the home console market and the handheld market is shrinking. So one of their two profit streams basically disappeard and the other one is shrinking. It looks like the 3DS already peaked in 2013.
So Nintendo is in dire need of new ways to make profits, I don't think the 3DS will be enough for Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
My guess is Nintendo will do a hybrid type machine and Sony would do something that's more of a companion to PS5

Mostly agree.

Though I think Sony may just push PS Now on tablets/phones (there's and others) rather than making any specific companion device.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for playing the shitload of controller-ready games I already own on PC on a portable device, but I don't think this is going to go anywhere beyond niche for the time being. You'll see iOS and Android controllers for reasonably sized devices looooong before 8" behemoths running Windows take off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nhM2Y3pKUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSI28Q-N5ZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly4NxbFMDno

Games are now running better since updates. It is going somewhere, the only thing we need is a damn controller. The hardware is already there.

slit

Man, if handhelds went away I'd probably be out of gaming entirely.

They are the only format that provides me with the experiences I enjoy. Consoles game are either too focused on cinematics or require too much dedication. Tablet/phone games are trite.

It wouldn't get me out of gaming but I know what you mean. It would be a huge blow for me.

No reason why they would not have incorporated some of these amenities from other gaming tablets and platforms into the Vita(especially) or 3DS.

For that I hope the 3DS and Vita are killed off, but both platforms have been good to me so...

liger05

You guys need to expand your horizons and look outside the fucking US. The Vita is doing pretty well in Japan, hell it's currently number one in sales this week.

Its been out over 2 years in Japan and still hasnt hit 3 mil. Better in Japan yes but still its a struggle.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jcm just posted this in the NPD thread. I'd be really hard pressed to look at it and go "things are fine", even when we ignore the Vita.

jcm said:
Good morning GAF. All of this information probably exists in this enormous thread, but I've put together my YOY and Gen over Gen comps, so I figured I'd share them anyway. The Gen over Gen console comps are flat. The handhelds are of course atrocious.

Year Over Year
Code:
            2014  2013  % Change
XB1          311         
360          111   261   -57.47%
PS4          371         
PS3           67   211   -68.25%
WIU           70    67     4.48%
WII           28    91   -69.23%
3DS          159   230   -30.87%
NDS           86    
PSV           10    33   -69.70%
PSP                  8     

Family                  
MSFT         372   261    42.53%
SONY         396   252    57.14%
NINT         274   474   -42.19%

HAND         177   357   -50.42%
CONSOLE      865   630    37.30%

Gen over Gen
Code:
Console     2014  2007  % Change
360                199   
PS2                280   
WII                259   
PS3                130   
TOTAL        865   868   -0.35%

Handheld    2014  2008  % Change
NDS                698   
PSP                297   
Total        177   995   -82.21%

And here's the always exciting Powerhouse ™ 3DS vs PSP race:
Code:
           3DS 2014     PSP 2008    NDS 2008
January          97          230         251
February        153          243         587
March           159          297         698
April                        193         415
May                          182         452
June                         337         783
July                         222         608
August                       253         518
September                    238         537
October                      193         491
November                     421         1570
December                    1020         3040
                409         3829         9950

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

It's not doing well in Japan. Well, it's doing better. It is selling like a six year old machine about to be phased out. I mean #champion #2014vita or whatever.

3DS is declining in Japan.

In the US, vita is dead and 3ds is getting its ass handed to it by PSP.

I would suggest Nintendo aim for something super cheap, single not-resistant touch screen , with robust online infrastructure to support a ton of F2P titles.

Griss

Sony will never make another handheld as we know them, but they make another PS Xperia kind of device, which might be cool if they get it right.

Nintendo's future rests on their next handheld, and I reckon it's closer than people think. Late 2015 should be their aim. As for what they do with it, it needs to be the following:

1. Good industrial design that people will be happy to be seen using. Ditch the clamshell, learn from phones and tablets. Button must obviously be kept. A good visual design could make or break the product.
2. Lower price - launch at 200 dollars
3. Lower priced software - handheld software needs to be 20-30 dollars rather than 40-50. Remember that despite the quality increase, you're competing with free.
4. Support f2p games.
5. Proper account system, apps and VC all ready to go at launch with no hiccups.
6. Launch with one hardcore game, one big casual game and one f2p game.

If they can do what I just set out they'll be fine. The 3ds was a poorly thought out device that has had adequate success based on the strength of its software alone. If they can get the hardware right next time then they have a chance of making a proper hit.

EDIT: Fucking beaten by Kev by mere seconds. Mods, eh?

Y2Kev

Sony will never make another handheld as we know them, but they make another PS Xperia kind of device, which might be cool if they get it right.

Nintendo's future rests on their next handheld, and I reckon it's closer than people think. Late 2015 should be their aim. As for what they do with it, it needs to be the following:

1. Good industrial design that people will be happy to be seen using. Ditch the clamshell, learn from phones and tablets. Button must obviously be kept. A good visual design could make or break the product.
2. Lower price - launch at 200 dollars
3. Lower priced software - handheld software needs to be 20-30 dollars rather than 40-50. Remember that despite the quality increase, you're competing with free.
4. Support f2p games.
5. Proper account system, apps and VC all ready to go at launch with no hiccups.
6. Launch with one hardcore game, one big casual game and one f2p game.

If they can do what I just set out they'll be fine. The 3ds was a poorly thought out device that has had adequate success based on the strength of its software alone. If they can get the hardware right next time then they have a chance of making a proper hit.

EDIT: Fucking beaten by Kev by mere seconds. Mods, eh?

200 is not a lower price. I am talking $99.

dab0ne

What's sad is the Vita gave what everyone wanted hardware wise in a dedicated handheld, but is not selling well. The only thing it lacks is R2 and L2 buttons. Overpriced memory cards aside it's essentially the best we could have got in 2012 when it released for it's price point. There's no valid argument that it has no games, it has tons. Any PSONE title on PSN, any PSP title on PSN and of course it's own slew of Vita specific games. I would love to see Sony stay in the handheld space, but I don't see what else they could do to attract gamers that they haven't already aside from launching a specific "system seller" title. If correcting all the flaws of your previous hand held system, aside from creating a new one in memory cards, and giving it at a great price point isn't what handheld gamers want I don't know what is.
A good start would be adding those second shoulder buttons, clickable analog sticks, and not having overpriced proprietary memory cards. I love my vita but the starting price, after buying the console ($200 new), getting a game ($20-$40), and buying a memory card ($30-$100 if you want a realistic one), is so close to the price of a PS4 and is, basically the price of a PS3 and Wii U, why would anyone get one unless you love handheld gaming?

braves01

Banned
It's not doing well in Japan. Well, it's doing better. It is selling like a six year old machine about to be phased out. I mean #champion #2014vita or whatever.

And it was the best-selling hardware in Japan last week, which is just...depressing.

tuffy

I would suggest Nintendo aim for something super cheap, single not-resistant touch screen , with robust online infrastructure to support a ton of F2P titles.
Surely you mean non-capacitive. I envision something like the 2DS but with one tall screen, a couple of analog pads (for Monster Hunter) and a launch price tag in the $99-$120 range. Keep it simple to engineer and very affordable.

stuminus3

As a fan of both Nintendo handhelds and iOS gaming, I'll have to say they're only the same thing on paper. The reality is they're very different. Different form, different markets, different games. Even without considering the dual/3D screen on the 3DS they don't fulfil the same needs.

What I think Nintendo need to thrive in future is to capitalise on this, to make a selling point out of the differences. They have somewhat done that by giving the 3DS an amazing library of first party games. But their marketing seems to largely be geared around 'preaching to the converted'.

Griss

200 is not a lower price. I am talking $99.

By late 2015 / 2016 in a recovering economy, and factoring in price inflation since 3ds launch, 200 dollars will be a pretty cheap device. Making a 99 dollar device means you might not be able to make the premium device that Nintendo would want to (as it wants to be able to sell premium games) and it would give them nowhere to go with their pricing. Going from 99 to 80 bucks is nothing. If you can afford 50 or 80 you can afford 100. You're starting in the basement at that price when there's no need to do so if the product is good.

They would be sustained by early adopters and middle class parents at 200 for the first year at least if the software is there. If there are great f2p games people might be willing to pay 200 dollars knowing they won't have to pay any more. 100 dollars is too low to me. It's the realm of the bargain bin. And I think there's no chance that they come in at anything lower than 150, and if you were asking me to bet I reckon they'll come in at 220, and be at 150/180 by the next Christmas.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I do think the days of a dedicated handheld ever selling anywhere near 100 million are sadly long gone. The 3DS sales ultimately depend on Nintendo's software, and so far, this year has been pretty lacking in that regard. Although its counter-intuitive, It actually makes sense they're releasing Smash Bros 3DS first.

Boss Mog

I still think there's a big market for dedicated handhelds. I mean most people playing on cellphones and tablets are non-gamers or casuals at best. Most core gamers wouldn't be caught dead playing Candy Crush Saga or any of the other crap on iOS/Android.

I think neither handheld is doing that great because Vita has too few AAA games and 3DS is weak hardware-wise, the dual screen gimmick is wearing thin, the 3D gimmick never really took off at all and although there's a lot more software on 3DS than Vita, it's still not enough, particularly from 3rd parties.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Like it or not, handheld gaming is being cannibalized by smartphones and tablets. People are becoming accustomed to bite-sized gaming at bite-sized prices and don't want to pay $40 per game. External controllers for phones are being better supported. A third party or independent developer has instant access to a market of hundreds of millions of people.

Dedicated handheld consoles are being pushed to a niche market because they are too expensive for what they do. There's only so much room in the back pockets of skinny jeans.

Anybody play 2048?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Surely you mean non-capacitive. I envision something like the 2DS but with one tall screen, a couple of analog pads (for Monster Hunter) and a launch price tag in the $99-$120 range. Keep it simple to engineer and very affordable.

I'm sure he/she meant non-resistive.

Few people want to fuck around with a stylus. Everyone, kids included, is used to capacitive touch screens on smartphones, tablets, ipod touches etc. and Nintendo needs to jump on that train.

slit

Boss★Moogle;108630012 said:
I still think there's a big market for dedicated handhelds. I mean most people playing on cellphones and tablets are non-gamers or casuals at best. Most core gamers wouldn't be caught dead playing Candy Crush Saga or any of the other crap on iOS/Android.

I think neither handheld is doing that great because Vita has too few AAA games and 3DS is weak hardware-wise, the dual screen gimmick is wearing thin, the 3D gimmick never really took off at all and although there's a lot more software on 3DS than Vita, it's still not enough, particularly from 3rd parties.

That has never been an issue with the success of a dedicated HH platform.

entremet

Man, if handhelds went away I'd probably be out of gaming entirely.

They are the only format that provides me with the experiences I enjoy. Consoles game are either too focused on cinematics or require too much dedication. Tablet/phone games are trite.

Yep. Same here.

Maledict

I only got my Vita this Christmas and have been utterly amazed at the number and quality of games on it - and what a fantastic little technological marvel it is. It does depress me that it's done so badly, although at least there are enough games on it right now to last me a couple of years nevermind the stuff still in the pipeline.

I'm a firm believer that software sells all.

Prior to the Wii, who in their right mind would guess that a motion-control game like Wii Sports would become a pop-culture icon?

I think if Nintendo packed in a game with their next handheld/hybrid device that totally blows everyone by surprise, something that couldn't be imitated on smartphones, it could help to revive the market. Nintendo's done it twice, once with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt in the midst of the video game crash; the other with Wii Sports. This company has a record of creating waves in the industry with their software, and I'm confident that if they simply pack-in their next handheld device with an innovative game (I know, I know, easier said than done), the sky's the limit.

Y2Kev

No, styluses are done for. Sorry. I know we continue to argue that they are better suited for games but the market has moved on.

$99 is too cheap isnt it. What kind of device could they produce selling to consumers for under $100.

That's really for them to figure out. Find whatever hardware configuration you can for $99 and sell that one. If it's a three year old iPod touch, that's what it should be. Not like Nintendo cares about specs.

No, styluses are done for. Sorry. I know we continue to argue that they are better suited for games but the market has moved on.

That's really for them to figure out. Find whatever hardware configuration you can for $99 and sell that one. If it's a three year old iPod touch, that's what it should be. Not like Nintendo cares about specs.

149 dollars is, imo, a better price point.

SmokyDave

The 82% gen over gen contraction posted above says it all.

3DS is declining in Japan.

In the US, vita is dead and 3ds is getting its ass handed to it by PSP.

Fuck me, I did not spend £60,000 marketing somebody else's product just to see my hashtags fucked up.

#20V1T4. I'll send you a branding guide.

Johnny

I assumed the 3DS and Vita were doing roughly the same numbers as their predecessors, am I wrong in thinking this?

In any case, I'd like to see Nintendo merge their handheld and console platforms. Most people seemingly purchase Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games at this point, and they just don't have the resources to support two platforms properly. They could release 5" and 7" 1080p devices with the ability to transmit video to the TV, and sell them fairly cheaply.

Sony should just move their portable development to their phones, releasing a line with physical buttons. It would entice people to switch over from Samsung, HTC etc.

tuffy

Aren't they more expensive to add, though? I suppose capacitive screens are what's hot now and it might be possible from a backwards-compatibility standpoint, but they seem to run counter to the goal of a durable, inexpensive platform.

Aren't they more expensive to add, though? I suppose capacitive screens are what's hot now and it might be possible from a backwards-compatibility standpoint, but they seem to run counter to the goal of a durable, inexpensive platform.
Surely it has to cost more to produce some shit outdated tech than it is to produce something 100% of all cell phones are currently using.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
By late 2015 / 2016 in a recovering economy, and factoring in price inflation since 3ds launch, 200 dollars will be a pretty cheap device. Making a 99 dollar device means you might not be able to make the premium device that Nintendo would want to (as it wants to be able to sell premium games) and it would give them nowhere to go with their pricing. Going from 99 to 80 bucks is nothing. If you can afford 50 or 80 you can afford 100. You're starting in the basement at that price when there's no need to do so if the product is good.

They would be sustained by early adopters and middle class parents at 200 for the first year at least if the software is there. If there are great f2p games people might be willing to pay 200 dollars knowing they won't have to pay any more. 100 dollars is too low to me. It's the realm of the bargain bin. And I think there's no chance that they come in at anything lower than 150, and if you were asking me to bet I reckon they'll come in at 220, and be at 150/180 by the next Christmas.

I'd tend to agree with Griss on this one.

Mind, 199.99 is the max amount the handheld can reach as launch price, it can't go over that, but it would also be the ideal price, because, going with Iwata's statements, it's going to be the first result of the post-unification and hardware team revolution occured at Nintendo in the past year (look for wsippel's post in the Nikkei's thread a little time ago), and it's going to be a "brother" of their next home, with games being shared between each other and NN being the real platform, device agnostic. It's also going to support many of the most recent indie/mobile developers-aimed tools (Unity), even more than Wii U. So, there's a good possibility of it showcasing Wii U graphics on a lower resolution screen (between 480p and 720p), and that sounds not fiesable with 99 as a launch price. It must also be considered how the platform can't be too underpowered, since it's the successor of the current main Japan platform, in the market where home consoles are going waaay down and Vita could be the last traditional Sony effort, in order to get as much games as possible.

But it's also that, by being at 99 at launch, they could have big sales in the short term, but those could not last too long, since the device is already at a very low price. Anticipating sales in the immediate, but renouncing to them in the long. It's a risk. Instead, at 199.99 as max (179.99 would be even better, but let's be more realistic), you can have a good launch, while possibly gaining something from sales, and then, when production is quick enough, you can start lowering the price / making bundles / etc. etc.

Of course, the platform will also need good titles from the start. Pokémon X2 / Y2 in common with 3DS? Zelda in common with Wii U? A brand new 3D Mario exclusive? Or two of those together (Pokémon + Zelda / Pokémon + Mario being the two possible possibilities, not Zelda + Mario)? I don't know, those were just suggestions, but they need good efforts at launch AND in the window launch, no droughts (which is...the main reason for the big changes just happened).

Boss★Moogle;108630012 said:

What do you mean by "big" exactly?

The DS and PSP combined sold something like 220 million units. At the rate things are going, the Vita and 3DS will be lucky to see more than a third of that. And third parties outside of Japan have largely abandoned both devices in order to chase that smartphone/tablet market. Hell, even Capcom took their Monster Hunter money and dumped it into mobile development.

They don't have any vested interest in the dedicated handhelds space anymore.

HalcyonXcution

Neo Member
I would like to see the handheld market continue I mean we have portable smash now and the vita could make any ps3 game portable. I could only imagine what next gen handhelds could do but saying that means there will be a less of a chance for handhelds next gen :/

openrob

Putting together sfacilitate ideas here already.

Nintendo knows what they are doing. Sony tried it but it just didn't take off like ninth.

I was surprised when everyone went ape shit over the 2DS reveal, but a cheap, rugged portable, being sold for $99 w/ Pokémon at some places is such a great idea.

The market will not look the same, but I can see both adapting. I am looking forward to what Nintendo will reveal next. Also see the trend of PS being a companion device. But seeing that more so with Nintendo, not just in hardware, but on software as well. Think more Pokémon stadium. Mobile games interacting with big home experiences. I mean from the days of probably GBA this is what we wanted from handhelds.

Nintendo saying that they will have a shared environment for their products kind of like brothers instead of separate product points to this.

PS tv / now will continue to facilitate having console experiences in other forms, like they have always tried to do, but in a more flexible way.

Oersted

Nintendo should see smartphones/tablets as a chance, especially in the kids market. Yes, they will be way more widespread, Nintendo can't compete there, noone can with one single device. But those devices are not really seen as children-proof, as something that could take a beating. Also, many parents see smartphones as "costtrap", due to F2P and alike. If Nintendo could say" Hey parents, we have a durable device where you have complete control and Internet is safe", basically a toy without any hassles, I could see it doing well.

And of course, they should streamline the handheld/ home console architecture and create a shared online ecosystem. Nintendo wants to go there, starting with WiiU, but well, we are talking about what has to be done in the future.

FyreWulff

Surely it has to cost more to produce some shit outdated tech than it is to produce something 100% of all cell phones are currently using.

capacitive is older than resistive.

And neither of them obsolete the other. Just because Apple convinced people that cap screens are touch interface jesus, doesn't mean they're superior in every way. They have poorer accuracy and more latency. Resistive multitouch would be a far superior option, and it does exist, but not at the pricepoint for handheld.

And the vast, vast majority of multitouch functionality on multitouch capable devices is.. simulating the real buttons dedicated handhelds have.

Top Bottom