• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you stand on No Man's Sky?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Going back to watch some gameplay, I almost forgot how much I dislike how there's no death animation. Seems kinda weird that it just fades to black.

Maybe they just haven't implemented any yet?

you arent allowed to go into a 3rd person mode, why would they allow you to see whatever animation happens when you die

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Has anyone got any ideas for additions to the game after launch? Here are some of mine, and I've deliberately avoided the obvious one:

Appartments:

Many people have asked for the ability to craft their own dwellings similar to Minecraft, but Sean has stated his objective is to keep people exploring and therefore dwellings would be counter productive. We know there are bases but the emphasis has been on bases for your ships, NPC interactions and trading. In recent trailers we saw one such base which was inhabited by an NPC (Korvax) so my suggestion is that some of these bases could have appartments to rent for periods of time (perhaps a daily or weekly fee).

In terms of gameplay I can see how it could add value. If, for instance, the required material for the purchase of one weeks rental could only be found beneath the surface of the planet, or on specific creatures, you can see how clearly it could become a mini-quest to harvest such materials, adding danger and excitement, especially if some of those creatures were extremely aggressive or difficult to find.

Central Bank:

We know there are three reasons to gather resources: Trading, the purchase of ships and upgrades for equipment. It is also known that we have a choice of how we upgrade the ships in terms of power, speed and storage, depending on what play style you wish to persue. Because upgrading these things is central to the gaming loop, I would want to place restrictions on such a system. Perhaps you'd have to find specific buildings (banks) on planets and these are rare, or it could be dependent upon fully befriending one of the NPC races by learning all of their language. It would give us one more thing to work towards.

This is how I think it should work: On entering a bank, or a building inhabited by a fully befriended race, a new option appears below 'trading'. This option is called something along the lines of 'DDS' (Digital Distribution System). You now have the option to either purchase an upgrade immediately, exchange it for money immediately or store it in the 'DDS'. Why would you want to do this? Because now every single base run by that NPC race can be used to access the DDS and you no longer have to carry all your money with you. This will also help keep you aligned to that race and perhaps the more you store, the better the equipment or upgrades available, creating yet another gaming loop.

Hydro Boosters:

This would be a backpack upgrade - similar to the Jetpack upgrade - that allows you to travel faster under water. It wouldn't replace it though, just make the backpack dual-purpose. You would still have to upgrade your suit in order to increase the air capacity but it would mean you could travel further and faster, making it possible to reach that suspicious looking blip on your radar.

We have to consider this in relation to a possible gaming loop though and clearly just being able to move faster and further doesn't benefit us much if all we discover are things we can find elsewhere if we search long enough. Some of what we find should be relevent to what we are trying to achieve: The first, and more primitive upgrades to the backback, that give us basic hydro booster upgrades, should be placed within reach of a normal dive. These could be found in sea creatures, containers or flora. It follows then that the deeper you go the more advanced those upgrades become, until we are fully upgraded and all that's left to do is increase the capacity of the air for your suit. Water pressure would now be the only factor stopping you from diving to the ocean's bed and discovering that rare creature, hidden temple or underwater cavern, a restriction that creates another gaming loop related to my next idea.

Submarine:

This one would have to be dealt with cery carefully because I think it would make sense for this to be tied into the hydro booster gaming loop. How can we achieve this without making the hydro booster redundant? If you could eventually buy or rent a subarine to dive to the ocean's bed then you wouldn't need to upgrade your hydro booster, so we'd have to put a restriction on it that makes at least some sort of sense.

The submarine isn't something you would be able to take with you on your journey through the universe either so it would have to remain planet bound; therefore the renting of a submarine would be more viable than the purchase of a submarine. This makes it likely the submaine won't allow for upgrades, or does it? My next idea could provide a solution and give us a reason to upgrade and even purchase a submarine.

Land Vehicles:

The terain on many planets will be varied and as such a vehicle would have to be rugged and able to handle many different types of landscapes. For this I would suggest land buggies, some with the cockpit closed and some with them open. But once again, the fact each vehicle will be planet based and you won't be able to take them with you means rental is more than likely the way to go. As I said above though, there is a solution and in order to keep the gaming loop as free from complication as possible, here it is:

In order to make upgrades an option for both the submarine and the land buggy, we would have to be able to take them with us on our long journey to the centre of the universe/galaxy. We know that we can upgrade our ships for storage and we know that some of those ships can be huge so what if we could drive our buggy into the back of the ship (once it's upgraded to do so) and take it with us, thus introducing a reason to upgrade for different terains (wheel upgrades) and longer distances (fual tank/ air capacity). What if we added one more upgrade: Water tight, pressure resistance and hydro booster. Now you have a vehicle that's both a land vehicle and a submarine, giving us the perfect reason to upgrade.

LogicStep

Has anyone got any ideas for additions to the game after launch? Here are some of mine, and I've deliberately avoided the obvious one:

Appartments:

Many people have asked for the ability to craft their own dwellings similar to Minecraft, but Sean has stated his objective is to keep people exploring and therefore dwellings would be counter productive. We know there are bases but the emphasis has been on bases for your ships, NPC interactions and trading. In recent trailers we saw one such base which was inhabited by an NPC (Korvax) so my suggestion is that some of these bases could have appartments to rent for periods of time (perhaps a daily or weekly fee).

In terms of gameplay I can see how it could add value. If, for instance, the required material for the purchase of one weeks rental could only be found beneath the surface of the planet, or on specific creatures, you can see how clearly it could become a mini-quest to harvest such materials, adding danger and excitement, especially if some of those creatures were extremely aggressive or difficult to find.

Central Bank:

We know there are three reasons to gather resources: Trading, the purchase of ships and upgrades for equipment. It is also known that we have a choice of how we upgrade the ships in terms of power, speed and storage, depending on what play style you wish to persue. Because upgrading these things is central to the gaming loop, I would want to place restrictions on such a system. Perhaps you'd have to find specific buildings (banks) on planets and these are rare, or it could be dependent upon fully befriending one of the NPC races by learning all of their language. It would give us one more thing to work towards.

This is how I think it should work: On entering a bank, or a building inhabited by a fully befriended race, a new option appears below 'trading'. This option is called something along the lines of 'DDS' (Digital Distribution System). You now have the option to either purchase an upgrade immediately, exchange it for money immediately or store it in the 'DDS'. Why would you want to do this? Because now every single base run by that NPC race can be used to access the DDS and you no longer have to carry all your money with you. This will also help keep you aligned to that race and perhaps the more you store, the better the equipment or upgrades available, creating yet another gaming loop.

Hydro Boosters:

This would be a backpack upgrade - similar to the Jetpack upgrade - that allows you to travel faster under water. It wouldn't replace it though, just make the backpack dual-purpose. You would still have to upgrade your suit in order to increase the air capacity but it would mean you could travel further and faster, making it possible to reach that suspicious looking blip on your radar.

We have to consider this in relation to a possible gaming loop though and clearly just being able to move faster and further doesn't benefit us much if all we discover are things we can find elsewhere if we search long enough. Some of what we find should be relevent to what we are trying to achieve: The first, and more primitive upgrades to the backback, that give us basic hydro booster upgrades, should be placed within reach of a normal dive. These could be found in sea creatures, containers or flora. It follows then that the deeper you go the more advanced those upgrades become, until we are fully upgraded and all that's left to do is increase the capacity of the air for your suit. Water pressure would now be the only factor stopping you from diving to the ocean's bed and discovering that rare creature, hidden temple or underwater cavern, a restriction that creates another gaming loop related to my next idea.

Submarine:

This one would have to be dealt with cery carefully because I think it would make sense for this to be tied into the hydro booster gaming loop. How can we achieve this without making the hydro booster redundant? If you could eventually buy or rent a subarine to dive to the ocean's bed then you wouldn't need to upgrade your hydro booster, so we'd have to put a restriction on it that makes at least some sort of sense.

The submarine isn't something you would be able to take with you on your journey through the universe either so it would have to remain planet bound; therefore the renting of a submarine would be more viable than the purchase of a submarine. This makes it likely the submaine won't allow for upgrades, or does it? My next idea could provide a solution and give us a reason to upgrade and even purchase a submarine.

Land Vehicles:

The terain on many planets will be varied and as such a vehicle would have to be rugged and able to handle many different types of landscapes. For this I would suggest land buggies, some with the cockpit closed and some with them open. But once again, the fact each vehicle will be planet based and you won't be able to take them with you means rental is more than likely the way to go. As I said above though, there is a solution and in order to keep the gaming loop as free from complication as possible, here it is:

In order to make upgrades an option for both the submarine and the land buggy, we would have to be able to take them with us on our long journey to the centre of the universe/galaxy. We know that we can upgrade our ships for storage and we know that some of those ships can be huge so what if we could drive our buggy into the back of the ship (once it's upgraded to do so) and take it with us, thus introducing a reason to upgrade for different terains (wheel upgrades) and longer distances (fual tank/ air capacity). What if we added one more upgrade: Water tight, pressure resistance and hydro booster. Now you have a vehicle that's both a land vehicle and a submarine, giving us the perfect reason to upgrade.
I didn't think this game would be the kind that would get stuff like this added in future updates. Have they talked about this kind of thing?

cHinzo

Obviously not gonna pay €60 for a PC game lol. Hope it's gonna do well, because it looks pretty awesome and then try to snatch the game when it's on sale.

Terrorblot

I really appreciate what this game is trying to accomplish but I'm just so skeptical that it's going to stop being fun 10 minutes in. I'm getting a Spore vibe.

Appartments
While I agree it could add some focus on the kind of goals you want to create for yourself, I'm not so sure this game will allow a lot of hoarding (as in having a more limited storage space on your suit and ship, so even if you find a large deposit of minerals, you can't carry them all in one go), but I could be wrong. Seeing as how you have a save/respawn point in some of those buildings, that's pretty much enough to keep you somewhat safe from total progress loss, so you could just park your ship outside the building or nearby and explore and gather on foot, come back, unload into your ship or trade with an NPC or hop to the nearby space station, come back etc.

Central Bank
I was under the impression you get ship upgrades by finding recipes, crafting and then placing them in your ship slots, if you have room? If that's the case, that's plenty of restrictions right there, and I'm not sure what the problem is with carrying money, since as I understand it, you don't loose cash when you die anyway, it's always safe (well, unless you spend it all on a shitty ship ;) ).

Hydro Boosters / Submarine / Land Vehicles
Sure, and as an alternative, you could also have your actual spaceship be a transformable vehicle, so it does it all - space, land and underwater, so you wouldn't have to carry a second ship inside your cargo bay (I guess Elite: Dangerous does that with the buggy), and you wouldn't be restricted to having the ability to carry a buggy/submarine only for larger trader ships, since every ship would be transformable, but that adds a lot of complexity to the procedural ships system, so it's doubtful. Or, the devs could just conjure up a silly box that's "bigger on the inside", a Pokeball of sorts that just springs up your buggy/submarine anyway. :p

The trouble with adding land and sea vehicles post release is that, depending on how they're handling the size and depth of the water surfaces, if there are massive underwater cave systems etc, we might get a huge procedurally generated universe where there are no huge underwater cave systems or large or deep enough oceans, so that suddenly adding a rather large-ish submarine would make the whole thing obsolete. You wouldn't be able to enter those underwater caves or the oceans might be a bit too shallow (although I doubt it), because the game was designed and the world generated beforehand with on-foot, human sized underwater exploration in mind. The "hydro booster" to the suit would work well though, and I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't something like that (an upgrade that speeds up swimming/diving) already in the game.

I suppose having land vehicles would be more easily implemented, although there would be some risk of getting stuck a bit too often, but that's kinda solvable in various ways. It would however mess with the general gameplay loop of having your spaceship as an "anchor" while exploring the environment, since I think the idea is to land, look around a certain radius near the ship, come back, get in, fly to a different spot, repeat. Can't remember if they mentioned a "call back" feature, bringing the ship on autopilot to the spot you're standing at the moment, maybe as an upgrade?

Anyway, I'd say that any updates to the game post-release will be more oriented to adding, or rather "enriching" already existing gameplay systems. So something like adding new meaning to the consequences of destroying a space station, for example. Like, you now have the option to choose to work for the malevolent force and erase the presence of all other alien races in the galaxy, so the more space stations you destroy (they might also add new weapon recipes, expensive weapons that deal massive damage to stations), the more you see the alien factions just stop appearing, more derelict stations, on planet buildings that were once occupied by NPCs would be empty (so you'd "sabotage" yourself by not being able to trade in that system anymore, but your "evil Sith allegiance" progress bar would fill up, giving you more money, special tech and whatnot. On the other end, you'd also be able to help the factions in more meaningful ways, like investing cash in better armor and shields for their space stations, more defensive manpower, selling star system exploration data to make their expansion into new systems (simple stuff, like you now see a new space station in a system that had none). And all of this would be visible as some sort of power play percentage on the galactic map screen, so one half of the players would, if they so choose, try to destroy all life in the galaxy, while the others would defend it, and doing all of that without even needing to ever meet each other, so no change there.

Also, they might scatter special items throughout the galaxies, new artifacts, recipes, macguffins that are kinda hard to find (but doable if you have the right equipment, scanners, follow the hints), even scattered on planets you've visited before, so it would be a community effort to analyze these items and upload the data to the Atlas, so the more people find these items, the more info you'll uncover about the new "season 2" plot, unlock new types of weapon upgrades, get the ability to instantly travel between galaxies, grander scale superpowers etc.

And also maybe even implement some sort of multiplayer, joining groups of friends in their own multiplayer lobby who are always traveling tethered, together, all hyperjumping at the same time to the same star system, always be able to find each other and maybe even hyperjump/teleport more easily to one another etc.

I didn't think this game would be the kind that would get stuff like this added in future updates. Have they talked about this kind of thing?

Sean's mentioned a few times that they want to see how the game is received, if it sells well, what features the players will want the most, so they'd like to add new stuff to it.

Yukinari

I really appreciate what this game is trying to accomplish but I'm just so skeptical that it's going to stop being fun 10 minutes in. I'm getting a Spore vibe.

Been saying this the first time i saw the reveal and subsequent gameplay. The hype is at critical levels to the point of imploding on itself. Color me shocked if the game manages to inspire the sense of wonder and exploration everyone keeps talking about.

RedSwirl

Land vehicles is the big one that I really hope happens. The way Elite Dangerous Horizons is doing it seems to be the proper way: Permanent vehicle get's stored in your ship, you can upgrade it. Maybe undersea vehicles too, but it seems Hello games probably isn't designing oceans and seas to be thoroughly explorable based on the fact that you won't explore them in the initial game.

Anyway, I have another big idea that would potentially be a huge change: Motherships.

Hello Games seems to be tying people to one ship at a time and a very limited amount of space for gear and whatnot. It also doesn't want you to stay on one planet with a base, but what if you could simply have a base to take with you? The idea in my mind is something like the Bebop from Cowboy Bebop, maybe bigger. A larger ship with a hanger capable holding multiple ships, going along with the ability to own multiple ships. You can walk around inside the mothership and sort of build yourself a home inside it. Maybe you buy a pre-made frame and just keep adding to it. Maybe it doesn't even land on planets, but you just leave it in orbit as you explore the nearby area with one of your personal ships.

I doubt we'd see vehicles unless they're slow, otherwise Hello would get the procgen pop-in complaints all over again. It would also probably break the threat dynamic if you can just hop on a speeder bike and escape any creature.

RedSwirl

I doubt we'd see vehicles unless they're slow, otherwise Hello would get the procgen pop-in complaints all over again. It would also probably break the threat dynamic if you can just hop on a speeder bike and escape any creature.

You can already fly your ship at pretty low altitudes within the atmospheres of planets. Land vehicles couldn't be any faster than that.

Finaj

I haven't been too caught up with all the game's features but... why exactly is this game multiplayer again?

The chances of anyone actually making contact with another person seems slim to none.

You can already fly your ship at pretty low altitudes within the atmospheres of planets. Land vehicles couldn't be any faster than that.

True, but that's still different than being at ground level where the highest detail level of plants and other features is generated.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Appartments:

I guess my question here is why? What gameplay purpose would they serve other than to say, "hey I'm in an apartment"? Does it give a boost or anything? It's not like your ship doesn't already carry your stuff.

Central Bank:
I'm not sure how this is superior to the recipe\purchasing from bases functionality that's been shown.

Hydro Boosters:
I kinda figured the jetpack would work underwater similarly to how it works on land already. If it doesn't I totally agree.

Submarine + Land Vehicles:

I put these two together because they are essentially the same when considering your suit gets upgraded to be underwater so a sub would have the same functionality as a buggy. Anyway, Why? The ship will be used for any moderately long distance travel, and you can walk the heck around! Plus jet pack. Terrain won't be an issue because you can use your jet pack. It just seems superfluous. You fly, land, get in your buggy or whatever, drive around get out and walk around. Now you have to go back to your vehicle to go back to another vehicle.

Land vehicles is the big one that I really hope happens. The way Elite Dangerous Horizons is doing it seems to be the proper way: Permanent vehicle get's stored in your ship, you can upgrade it. Maybe undersea vehicles too, but it seems Hello games probably isn't designing oceans and seas to be thoroughly explorable based on the fact that you won't explore them in the initial game.

Anyway, I have another big idea that would potentially be a huge change: Motherships.

Hello Games seems to be tying people to one ship at a time and a very limited amount of space for gear and whatnot. It also doesn't want you to stay on one planet with a base, but what if you could simply have a base to take with you? The idea in my mind is something like the Bebop from Cowboy Bebop, maybe bigger. A larger ship with a hanger capable holding multiple ships, going along with the ability to own multiple ships. You can walk around inside the mothership and sort of build yourself a home inside it. Maybe you buy a pre-made frame and just keep adding to it. Maybe it doesn't even land on planets, but you just leave it in orbit as you explore the nearby area with one of your personal ships.

this won't really work with the way the game's been described. You have different ship types with different plus and minuses. You have explorers with longer hyper drivers, but not great weapons or cargo, Traders with more cargo space, more shielding but not a lot of weapons, and fighters with more weapons and armors but crap hyper drives. Depending on your play style, you'll favor certain ship types. If you had a mothership, what would be the point of the explorer if you are traveling with your mothership? Or a Trader if it's in the MS's bay with other traders? The point is to choose your type of ship to match your play style.

This idea only works if all ships were simply different fighter types... Like bombers vs dog fighters, vs speedy scouts, vs armored space tanks.

Also, regarding oceans, you can explore the oceans in the initial game. You just have to make your suit more suitable for temperature\pressure. Just like you have to for atmosphere.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Sean Murray is messing with his followers on twitter. Yesterday he tweeted "things are happening" and again today he tweeted "THINGS ARE HAPPENING!"

When this game comes out I'm probably not going to play anything else for quite some time. If all there was to do is go from planet to planet I would be happy.

Sushi Nao

My only issue is which platform to buy it on. My pc can play it and it's $15 cheaper on Steam than PS4. However, I was planning on getting PSVR and NMS has total killer app potential for VR.

My only issue is which platform to buy it on. My pc can play it and it's $15 cheaper on Steam than PS4. However, I was planning on getting PSVR and NMS has total killer app potential for VR.

I would not buy it with the expectation that it's getting PSVR compatibility. People doing that are setting themselves up for disappointment.

PS4 is barely able to run the game. For a PSVR version a huge graphical downgrade would be necessary. Perhaps it will happen on Neo.

mabec

Land vehicles and wider mp support summer 2017

Also...
planet annihilation
if i can bet my 8743658753 cents

thenexus6

Excited

Preordered

Played for 4-6 hours. Got bored of the repetitive gameplay loop, lack of variety (millions of planets all just the same with a different colour palette)

Sold the game

Auctopus

Haven't bought it but probably will later in the year. I want the noise to pass and I don't want to interact with a single "NMS fan".

Excited

Preordered

Played for 4-6 hours. Got bored of the repetitive gameplay loop, lack of variety (millions of planets all just the same with a different colour palette)

Sold the game

Great just what I was afraid of. Will buy when it hits $20 to satisfy my space exploration itch. I hope the game is patched up and gets much better by that time.

Lakitu

st5fu
Completely agree with Jim Sterling's review. I love the concept behind it but going through one lifeless boring planet (with the exception of some really nice ones I must admit) after the other, doing the same thing is just not for me... The best part for me is easily traversing through space and also entering a planets atmosphere. It's so soothing and really majestic. Unfortunately when I touch down on a planet, I don't get anywhere close to that sort of feeling.

Though I do feel like Hello Games, especially with 4 people, achieving a game on this magnitude is something they should be proud of.

Initial reveal - absolutely thrilled with the idea

Year after reveal - doubt starts to come into play, kind of put it on the backburner of my thoughts

Whenever Colbert had Sean Murray on his show - "Oh right, I forgot about this -- but I don't think I get it..."

Beginning of this year - "eh, it's probably going to be okay but far less than what I thought."

Two weeks to launch - "yep, looks exactly like how I thought it might end up."

Launch - 15 hours played, done, no more necessary.

Cheech

Great just what I was afraid of. Will buy when it hits $20 to satisfy my space exploration itch. I hope the game is patched up and gets much better by that time.

Exactly. If they'd launched at a $20 price point and sold additional DLC down the road, it would ensure a long life. Instead, it's going to be front loaded as hell and fall off a cliff. Too bad, as initial UK sales showed there is definitely a marker for this type of game.

Nesther

I went in with mild curiosity, I never expected it to be a masterpiece like so many people did, and I gotta say I'm okay with what I got. The first hours were incredible, mysterous vibes going on, and I had tons of fun figuring out the mechanics. Now that I fully understand the gameplay loop and that it's a survival/resource gathering, I'm content with playing it in shorter bursts to work towards that easy platinum.

I just hope the new patch hits soon that fixes the extreme sol milestone bug and more importantly the hyperdrive bug. Still playing with the DLC ship.

elohel

no mans sky is the hardest thing to read anout and I liken it to destiny

I never was sold or read about any promises

I also am aware of the scope of those potential promises and what the likely outcome is

If anyone believed that this game would have, even by their definition, a near endless variety of whatever, would be anything but repurposed or different permutations of the same thing then I am unsure when realistic expectations and unrealistic expectations begin and end

I feel like everything I read was completely different from what everyone else read and I assumed that the game would be like any other video game project: extremely difficult to produce, maintain and support after launch

I feel like I had realistic expectations of this game and because of that I'm very interested and enjoy when I do pick it up

I'm curious what the developer innately promised and clarified on or what I missed that has everyone else riled up

Also I think the race to the bottom that is pricing on pc games has completely ruined expectations for gamers in terms of value and cost to produce something and what is valued by individuals

Conversely I'm still into the game and intend on following it but still early

/endrant

Top Bottom