• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is Rocksteady

WaterAstro

If it's Superman, it feels like it would be really boring. It would be interesting to see how they do it because Superman is literally too powerful that you can't translate it well into games. Unless everyone has kryptonite bullets, he shouldn't even have a health bar.

If it's Superman, it feels like it would be really boring. It would be interesting to see how they do it because Superman is literally too powerful that you can't translate it well into games. Unless everyone has kryptonite bullets, he shouldn't even have a health bar.

With enough imagination anything is possible and can work. The rumors are saying they had to underpower Sups in this game, i can see a scenario where your powers grow through-out the game, kinda like how Zack Snyder did Sups in Man of Steel, where he was figuring out his powers through-out the movie and getting stronger as a result as it progressed.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

With enough imagination anything is possible and can work. The rumors are saying they had to underpower Sups in this game, i can see a scenario where your powers grow through-out the game, kinda like how Zack Snyder did Sups in Man of Steel, where he was figuring out his powers through-out the movie and getting stronger as a result as it progressed.
Yeah, but do people want to be an underpowered Superman? It makes for a nice narrative, as boring as Man of Steel was, but it might be boring gameplay-wise.

Batman was already badass in Arkham Asylum, and he just got more gadgets along the way. The upcoming Spiderman, he is all set with all his powers. Again, I'm interested to see how Rocksteady does it if it is true because Superman is a boring ass superhero to work with. He literally made the Justice League movie boring because he was too powerful.

Yeah, but do people want to be an underpowered Superman? It makes for a nice narrative, as boring as Man of Steel was, but it might be boring gameplay-wise.

Batman was already badass in Arkham Asylum, and he just got more gadgets along the way. The upcoming Spiderman, he is all set with all his powers. Again, I'm interested to see how Rocksteady does it if it is true because Superman is a boring ass superhero to work with. He literally made the Justice League movie boring because he was too powerful.

I disagree man, Superman has always been my favorite Superhero and i find him extremely interesting. I grew up on the Christopher Reeve Sups movies so maybe that has alot to do with it. IMO Sups was the best part of Justice League, gave me chills when he showed up out of no where behind Steppenwolf and the Christopher Reeve Sups theme started playing.

My imagination is going nuts thinking how badass they could make a Sups game. Rocksteady said 3 years ago it's dream game was a Superman game, and for 2 years already all signs point in that direction.

Just the freedom of flying got me stoked thinking about it.

Fingers Crossed

Last edited:
if they do superman i better be able to punch people into the clouds

See, this is the kinda stuff that got me so pumped! Just imagine fighting enemies in the sky and punching em like Sups was doing to Zod in MOS. The possibilities to make this game so badass are endless!

Last edited:

In a sense, I would say that Batman is too powerful in the Arkham games then what he really should be like. He can glide to enemy to enemy matter while still being on the ground.. He doesn't even have to fly to reach them. Something that was very similar in Man of Steel (not with Superman but with General Zods Faora's). How does that make sense for Batman to do?

Last edited:

WaterAstro

In a sense, I would say that Batman is too powerful in the Arkham games then what he really should be like. He can glide to enemy to enemy matter while still being on the ground.. He doesn't even have to fly to reach them. Something that was very similar in Man of Steel (not with Superman but with General Zods Faora's). How does that make sense for Batman to do?
Yeah, but Superman can just stand there getting shot at and hit and he wouldn't take any damage unless it was someone as powerful as Darkseid or Brainiac or Kryptonite weapons.

I can't imagine Superman being in danger from fighting goons. Even Parademons would do nothing to him.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I am sure Rocksteady can do an awesome Superman game, and as E EtherMagic said, there is ways to make an interesting Sup game, and I do love the idea of a growing during the game!

tumblr_mevojribfi1qc3ju8o1_250.gif

Give it to me NOW

Last edited:
If Rocksteady can't make a good Superman, I don't know who can. Maybe just give to Avalanche and have them go wild like Just Cause style and expect an 80-90'ish game.

Also, if they can't make a good Superman game, how about you know some of the other many heroes like..ahem Green Arrow, The Question, Black Canary, The Flash, Blue Beetle, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine. ANYTHING

Cynical prediction, Rocksteady is going to have stopped making Batman games, pull out some flop Superman game because it just cannot be done properly(currently) and then Square-Enix comes in with an Avengers game that does well. Meanwhile us DC fans sitting here like DC fans. With some cancelled Suicide Squad game and Batman/Damian or whatever that really was.

Being a DC Comics fan, now I know what a Winnepeg fan feels like.

At least they cancelled the Marvel online MMO that was like Diablo so I can fan some solace that DC cancelled the DC Moba (that should have been like the Marvel game). (kidding, I liked Marvel Heroes)

I swear Comic business decisions play out like a comic book themselves, make no goddamn sense.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Superman can just stand there getting shot at and hit and he wouldn't take any damage unless it was someone as powerful as Darkseid or Brainiac or Kryptonite weapons.

I can't imagine Superman being in danger from fighting goons. Even Parademons would do nothing to him.

Why do i see so many people compare enemies Sups would fight to the Goons Batman fought in his game? There is 80 years worth of comic book material to give Sups more then enough of a challenge as far as enemies. What people don't realize is Superman has died from many things other then direct contact from Kryptonite.

1. He has died from a Poison called Virus X.

2. He has died from Magic (Sups is weak to magic, which is why many Thor fans argue that Thor would win in a 1 on 1).

3. He has died from over exposure to the Sun.

4. He has died from Kryptonite Radio Waves.

5. Died from being stabed by a magic sword.

6. Died from a straight up beat down.

There are so many ways to work this kinda stuff into a game. I'm sure there are more ways to kill Sups, these are just the one's i remember where he had no direct contact with Kryptonite. The people who say that Sups is too powerful and he cannot be killed by anything but Kryptonite obviously have no knowledge of Sups history or comic books.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Why do i see so many people compare enemies Sups would fight to the Goons Batman fought in his game? There is 80 years worth of comic book material to give Sups more then enough of a challenge as far as enemies. What people don't realize is Superman has died from many things other then direct contact from Kryptonite.

1. He has died from a Poison called Virus X.

2. He has died from Magic (Sups is weak to magic, which is why many Thor fans argue that Thor would win in a 1 on 1).

3. He has died from over exposure to the Sun.

4. He has died from Kryptonite Radio Waves.

5. Died from being stabed by a magic sword.

There are so many ways to work this kinda stuff into a game. I'm sure there are more ways to kill Sups, these are just the one's i remember that he had no direct contact with Kryptonite. The people who say that Sups is too powerful and he cannot be killed by anything but Kryptonite obviously have no knowledge of Sups history or comic books.
Comic book heroes die because the writers want to make something controversial for sales sake. Like that sun radiation death was just a spinoff series and not realistic to Superman. All the methods you labeled are really, really special that are even less common than kryptonite bullets.

Unless you have some average batman goon type of enemy that can kill Superman, the game will be pretty boring unless it's just filled with boss fights with bosses that can kill him.

Comic book heroes die because the writers want to make something controversial for sales sake. Like that sun radiation death was just a spinoff series and not realistic to Superman. All the methods you labeled are really, really special that are even less common than kryptonite bullets.

Unless you have some average batman goon type of enemy that can kill Superman, the game will be pretty boring unless it's just filled with boss fights with bosses that can kill him.

No offense, but my God are you a pessimist! C'mon man get an imagination. As i said the possibilities are endless for a badass Sups game! And to answer your pessimistic one liner on writers writing things for sales sake... OBVIOUSLY! lol You can say the same for any game made these days, 99% of the movies made these days, any comic book writen over the past 80 years, basically anything fictional. You make it sound as if Sups is a real man living a real life in todays world, and you got these Fake News writers (CNN) making up fictional bullcrap on how to kill him! Hahaha Wow

WaterAstro

No offense, but my God are you a pessimist! C'mon man get an imagination. As i said the possibilities are endless for a badass Sups game! And to answer your pessimistic one liner on writers writing things for sales sake... OBVIOUSLY! lol You can say the same for any game made these days, 99% of the movies made these days, any comic book writen over the past 80 years, basically anything fictional. You make it sound as if Sups is a real man living a real life in todays world, and you got these Fake News writers (CNN) making up fictional bullcrap on how to kill him! Hahaha Wow
No, I'm being realistic. Instead of talking about imagination, why don't you imagine something that could happen?

What kind of every day goon enemy can Superman fight where he is in danger of dying? Like I pointed out, even Apokolips parademons are no match for Superman, and the world has just saw a movie that even someone as powerful as Steppanwulf is literally a bug to Superman.

KevinKeene

Banned

But that's exactly the problem: Superman would only ever be in danger if you made up ... bullshit. Kryptonit, magic (lol), etc.. Unless a game is filled with shitty alien villains, that game would have to be boring, because Superman would just stand in place and watch as a gang of mobster punch and shoot him.

It's Rocksteady, so they might have solved the problem. Wait and see approach.

But that's exactly the problem: Superman would only ever be in danger if you made up ... bullshit. Kryptonit, magic (lol), etc.. Unless a game is filled with shitty alien villains, that game would have to be boring, because Superman would just stand in place and watch as a gang of mobster punch and shoot him.

Is NOT every comic book that has ever been writen "some made up bullshit"??? lol C'mon now, just stop.

Your a bit off base here one side is made up magic but the other side isnt ?

Had to give this a really hard think, and I really struggled to imagine a superman game with a reasonable amount of his strength (not nerfed down or "growing"), and the only solution I could think about is having the health bar count as some sort of "Saving" mechanic

As in, not only do you have to fight and do puzzles, but you also are expected to not fail them and protect whatever it is being protected. As an example of a side mission saving someone having their house burned by criminals. The goal would be to defeat the opponents whilst at the same time making sure your objective isnt failed "taking too long and having him die in the fire". Just a rough idea idk if it would really work out, and I can't see this being set up for anything outside of side missions.

Perhaps the best solution would be to introduce some sort of new threat within the universe, maybe a new group of baddies with magical or kryptonite based weapons, maybe similar to how we see Batman fight those ninjas for ras al ghul. Maybe the baddie has some sort of control over the sun, this is really hard tbh

Very interesting to say this least, definitely going to be some mind gymnastics to make a superman work. Maybe nerfing superman would be the best idea. Going to have to be a very story driven game where traditional mechanics take a step back

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this game for years. I'm so hyped. For everyone complaining about Superman being too powerful blah blah blah blah, isn't the whole point of games is the fun factor? Why does every game have to be hard as crap for someone to enjoy? I would love to be able to just fly around in a huge open world with Superman. Can't wait to see this game.

ANTiFanboyDevon

Neo Member
I'll take Fantastic Beasts open world adventure game over Superman or Harry Potter even though i like both.
Nah give a company like Monolith the reins to a Harry Potter game. Imagine playing as a hardcore dark wizard who resurrects each time he gets killed.

I'm excited for whatever Rocksteady is working on but man, the wait is getting to me. At least confirm a project was cancelled or something.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Nah give a company like Monolith the reins to a Harry Potter game. Imagine playing as a hardcore dark wizard who resurrects each time he gets killed.
Honestly and after abomination the name of which Middle-Earth games, i don't give a shit about Monolith, they are dead to me as a video game developer. I just can't stand what they are doing right now and for the last 8 years. Fuck em' and WB.

I'm excited for whatever Rocksteady is working on but man, the wait is getting to me. At least confirm a project was cancelled or something.
That's not how this industry works. If it was indeed cancelled we'll know about it years from now after someone will upload early gameplay footage to Youtube,

Last edited:

WTF??? RockSteady is already scheduled on Sony's and Microsoft's E3 presentation list as a developer with a reveal. I doubt they show up to take the floor just to tell us they cancelled the game they've been working on for 3 years. lol

ANTiFanboyDevon

Neo Member
WTF??? RockSteady is already scheduled on Sony's and Microsoft's E3 presentation list as a developer with a reveal. I doubt they show up to take the floor just to tell us they cancelled the game they've been working on for 3 years. lol

Sorry I misspoke. I know they wouldn’t do that. I’m saying that when a company is “dark” for this long it sometimes means a game was quietly cancelled. Sony Santa Monica for example had something similar happen to them in between the new God of War.

A perfect scenario would be them saying “we’ve been working nonstop on this one title and here it is!”

That's yesterday's news man. Here is what he said today on Twitter...

"Here's that piece I was just talking about. Sorry, Superman fans. I don't think a standalone Superman game is in the works. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's likely."

He also wrote a Article today addressing the Superman game debate here (he gives Rocksteady showing up with a Sups game a 5% chance)...

https://www.gameinformer.com/scienc...fi-games-we-hope-to-see-at-e3-but-likely-wont

I'm taking all of this in one of 3 ways...

1. He is being honest with everyone and really believes there is no Superman game.

2. He knows what Rocksteady is making but knows it's not a Superman game.

3. He knows there is a Superman game and really was hinting at that yesterday, got his ass chewed out for it, so todays article and deniels were to save face and redirect the convo.

Personally, my head is spinning, idk what to think or who to believe anymore.

Last edited:

Snakey125

It's not cancelled. It's been an idea since Arkham Origins. Patience is a good thing for now.

VertigoOA

Banned
I really hope they’re on another Batman game. A superfriends game would suck so much. Batman is cool... the rest? Pass

Superman is a dweeb and boring

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
Or even better, an open world Lobo game. But yep, I'm pretty confident that will a Superman title from them this E3. Still xoll, thoug.

Am i the only one who has been crying tears non-stop from Superman-Fan depression? YES... I will miss the Rumors, Yes i will miss the fake bullshit cover art, and YES, i will even miss all the lies. BUT if there is one thing these TROLLS gave us that RockSteady didn't...IT'S HOPE!!! /S\

I have made my decision, i have decided to leave (more tears, one just hit left side of upper lip! 😭 ), it's that time for me to say my farewell...

R.I.P. Mr Thread of mine. I shall miss you, till next year my friend. 😥😪😭😥😭😭😭

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
They should have just made another Batman, i.e. the franchise literally printed beaucoup moneys aka it was a winning ticket. People complain about COD never changing... yet it sells the same every freaking year. I don't know 'which' genius might have decided Batman had reached a saturation point because it's not true.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, I guess GI needs their cover stories and cover arts which is almost impossible to get and share with all out you at some point. Good for them, bad for us.

Top Bottom