• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where the fuck is Final Fantasy XV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hope it comes out next year... Though if we don't hear anything by E3 2015 I'm expecting it not too.
It begs the question of WHY they wouldn't finish the damn game. Surely it can't be that hard to make one thing. Even if they released it as a piece of crap not worth the bluray it was printed on it's still sell some, meaning they'd at least make back some of the countless millions they've already spent on it over a decade. Maybe throw us a bone and go Ground Zeros on us with a prologue.

Stuff like KH and TLG being dead? That's, statistically, far more likely than FFXV being shoved away. To actually just NOT finish a mainline Final Fantasy game would have to rank highly as a "worst gaming business decision". I just can't picture it. Not after this long and the rebranding and the extremely positive reaction.

HeelPower

Or maybe they just need to take a good hard look in the mirror and reevaluate how they make and reveal games because quite honestly, they're the worst of the big publishers when it comes to this.

If it were simply a big project taking its time, the 2013 footage likely wouldn't have been followed by a lengthy awkward silence.

It's quite likely that something is still wrong with the game's development.
People forget that this is not just one game.

VersusXV will be a sub franchise that will extend over the entire next generation.

SE is currently setting up the game and its sequels and the project formally started in late 2011

I know it sucks to wait but if the game has any chance of being good it needs a heck of a lot of time.Probably 5 years at least.
Its just the harsh truth.These games aren't easy or simple projects.Particularly a next gen FF game that's actually a good game.

The Witcher 3 for example has been in the works since 2011 and Watch Dogs took even the mighty Ubisoft army tons of time to actually make.MGSV has no release date and god knows how long its been in development.

Anth0ny

They have to focus on type-0 HD, XIV 3.0 and Lightning Trilogy HD first.

Then we wait two years, and THEN we get another XV trailer.

Famassu

They meant a whole year of utter silence.
I swear SE are clowns.
Well, to be fair, it wasn't utter silence, especially not for 2013. They DID show it after E3, even if it was 99% E3 trailer material and 4 seconds of new stuff. They also showed some early gameplay from KHIII. That said, they've failed to honor their promise in 2014. The only word we've gotten from it is from Hashimoto or was it Kitase saying its development is advancing well.

No one should hold their breath for a game that originated as PS3 vaporware. After this long, it's time to let go or you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

If it ever releases, be pleasantly surprised when it does.

They have to focus on type-0 HD, XIV 3.0 and Lightning Trilogy HD first.

Then we wait two years, and THEN we get another XV trailer.

Heh wouldn't be surprised if both TPP, the new gears and silent hill are out before we see FFXV lol

SE where's your honor? Jesus no shame either.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
No one should hold their breath for a game that originated as PS3 vaporware. After this long, it's time to let go or you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

If it ever releases, be pleasantly surprised when it does.

Well i still do for TLG because they keep saying it's alive and still in development but FFXV on the other hand we haven't heard shit so this seems more likely to be dead.

Soulkay

Neo Member
Man, when that SE logo came up, I got super excited, foolishly thinking it was XV, then figured it was Type-0 HD, then I was surprised in thinking it could have been DQ11, only for it to be a Musou game.

What a ride that was.

Me except for the scream I made when I saw the logo...

Bennettt2

It begs the question of WHY they wouldn't finish the damn game. Surely it can't be that hard to make one thing. Even if they released it as a piece of crap not worth the bluray it was printed on it's still sell some, meaning they'd at least make back some of the countless millions they've already spent on it over a decade. Maybe throw us a bone and go Ground Zeros on us with a prologue.

Stuff like KH and TLG being dead? That's, statistically, far more likely than FFXV being shoved away. To actually just NOT finish a mainline Final Fantasy game would have to rank highly as a "worst gaming business decision". I just can't picture it. Not after this long and the rebranding and the extremely positive reaction.

I have faith that they're working on a story, set-pieces and scripted scenarios that will blow us away. To do that, they probably don't want to raise expectations through showing footage.

So please under-believe

sappyday

What people don't realize is that eventually Square is gonna have make XVI
Watch them skip XV and XVI be released first and it'll be made by you know who.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Real TGS is still two weeks away. You just to fucking believe man. YOU GOTTA FUCKING BELIEVE
tumblr_naf1mhXEd31tjsogwo1_500.gif

I hate that gif because I can taste and smell the liquor. ugh

but I like it too

#Team Y2Kev

Square Enix is dead to me.

As a developer, sure, but they still publish stuff. Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs, Lara Croft: Osiris. That kinda thing.

Slowdive

Banned
Well i still do for TLG because they keep saying it's alive and still in development but FFXV on the other hand we haven't heard shit so this seems more likely to be dead.

It's the other way around for me. Just the other day Tabata said they want to release it as soon as possible. At least we've gotten a few trailers for XV rather than none like TLG.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It's the other way around for me. Just the other day Tabata said they want to release it as soon as possible. At least we've gotten a few trailers for XV rather than none like TLG.

Why would Yoshida and co. straight up lie to us? The Last Guardian is coming, i'm sure.

Slowdive

Banned
Why would Yoshida and co. straight up lie to us? The Last Guardian is coming, i'm sure.

I still want it to come, it's just that you said we haven't heard anything about XV when they've said quite a few times development is going well (lol) and we've had 3 trailers in the past year and a bit compared to TLG.

Sub_Level

Around 2010 I started getting numb to it.

And then the burst of hope in 2013.

And now the numbness is coming back.

VersusXV will be a sub franchise that will extend over the entire next generation.

SE is currently setting up the game and its sequels and the project formally started in late 2011

Can a single game be considered much of a "sub franchise" though? Because the way they are going with 15 the only reason why it will "span an entire console gen" like they originally said, is because it will take them the entire console gen to get that one game out.

Unless they're actively working on said sequels now and don't want to release the base game before it's sequels are far enough along, then the console generation will be over before any of said sequels even see the light of day. People can say all they want that they "just started" the game a few years ago, but from what we have seen so far in the form of a trailer, the game is just as far along now as it was 8 years ago with the trailer they showed then. All the newest trailer showed was some combat(which may not even be the games actual combat, see how 13s was originally planned and well.....) and added some flash to various things, the actual look of the trailer though was exactly the same as it was 8 years ago.

There is no defending it at this point, they are just that incompetent when it comes to making hd console games, the 8 year old trailer shows that. It's been 8 years now since they even started this thing considering we had a full hd trailer to go with it 8 years ago, 8 years down the line and all they have to show for it is another trailer that shows little increase in quality in the graphics department and then combat that could very likely be entirely different than what it showed.

Around 2010 I started getting numb to it.

And then the burst of hope in 2013.

And now the numbness is coming back.

Like when you're single for a long time, then that cute girl/boy at the coffee shop winks at you... but then you look behind you and see it was for someone else...

HeelPower

Can a single game be considered much of a "sub franchise" though? Because the way they are going with 15 the only reason why it will "span an entire console gen" like they originally said, is because it will take them the entire console gen to get that one game out.

Unless they're actively working on said sequels now and don't want to release the base game before it's sequels are far enough along, then the console generation will be over before any of said sequels even see the light of day. People can say all they want that they "just started" the game a few years ago, but from what we have seen so far in the form of a trailer, the game is just as far along now as it was 8 years ago with the trailer they showed then. All the newest trailer showed was some combat(which may not even be the games actual combat, see how 13s was originally planned and well.....) and added some flash to various things, the actual look of the trailer though was exactly the same as it was 8 years ago.

There is no defending it at this point, they are just that incompetent when it comes to making hd console games, the 8 year old trailer shows that. It's been 8 years now since they even started this thing considering we had a full hd trailer to go with it 8 years ago, 8 years down the line and all they have to show for it is another trailer that shows little increase in quality in the graphics department and then combat that could very likely be entirely different than what it showed.

It'll release by 2016.About 2.5 years into the generation.Then the sequels will follow.

They'll make them(trilogy or two games)by the end of this generation.what's not happening this gen is FF16.

There is no denying that game's taking too long but then again they shouldn't have shown it off when it was just a concept flying around in 2006.Things would be looked at as fairly normal if we first heard about this game in 2013.

~~Hasan~~

HD town still take a long, long time.

if he was a doing a real life building by him self, he would have be done by now since 2006.

what a waste, incompetent developers and publisher. just over hyped names in the company with suits.

did you see the way they were walking down the stares ? i wanted to push them over >_>

I know it sucks to wait but if the game has any chance of being good it needs a heck of a lot of time.Probably 5 years at least.
Its just the harsh truth.These games aren't easy or simple projects.Particularly a next gen FF game that's actually a good game.

The Witcher 3 for example has been in the works since 2011 and Watch Dogs took even the mighty Ubisoft army tons of time to actually make.MGSV has no release date and god knows how long its been in development.

The Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid V have had lengthy gameplay demos, MGSV even with a playable prologue, and both studios have shown that they can release games in a reasonable timeframe. Meanwhile Square-Enix releases a 4min trailer with gameplay scenes that look like they need tons of work and goes quiet for over a year.

The argument that they need more time to make a good game might have held some weight had they made a good console Final Fantasy since XII. But they haven't. Their output has been a mess for the entire last gen, they moved a game to next-gen and still have barely anything to show for it. It's not exactly surprising why people aren't giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Fucking joke of a company.

Seanspeed

Banned

The Witcher 3 is also nearing completion and has been shown off quite a bit.

Lets be real here - FFXV has taken so long because its been woefully mismanaged up to this point.

And you're saying that they are going to turn this into some trilogy again like with FFXIII? Cant they just wait and see if people actually want more of it first?

Sub_Level

if he was a doing a real life building by him self, he would have be done by now since 2006.

A dev team could probably build a whole town in 8 years.

Not even a skilled, experienced construction crew but just game developers. With 8 years they would have enough time to learn.

freed

Because they change platform !!!!???

They need more time to make ps4 level game

Just wait until E3
2016 until they give more detail
and TGS
2017 until they give proper release date in 2018.... Like december 2018

Real answer
maybe they try to surprise us by release it on both ps4/xone/ps3/x360 worldwide release date

Dunan

Wow, I think I will be in my 30s before this game will release.
So...3-4 more years for gameplay footage right?

I was in my 20s when it was announced and will probably be just into my 40s when it comes out. No joke. We're almost at the point where you could be unmarried and childless when the game was announced and then you could buy it on launch day for your kid, who would then play it to completion without assistance. That's how long this has been in development.

People keep saying it's because of mismanagement, or there are serious issues with its development, but is there any evidence of such? Sure, these are possible reasons, but it seems to be wild speculation based on nothing.

Look, the PS4 currently has an install base of 600k in Japan. We know FFXIII sold ~1.5m first week on an install base of ~4m PS3s, and this is still the lowest-selling mainline since FFVI. Given how much development FFXV has gone through (including moving platforms), it's very likely that it costs Square Enix more than FFXIII. But even for FFXV to sell on par with FFXIII, it still won't be coming for years.

Let me reiterate: even if FFXV is ready to ship this holiday season, Square Enix would never release it. It makes no business sense to do so. They would lose tons of money. It's not because management is stupid, or the game is in development hell.

Think about it: why is Square making and releasing games like Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Dragon Quest Heroes for the PS4? And releasing them in 2015, EARLIER than FFXV? It's because these games don't cost as much, don't need to sell as much, and will help build the PS4 install base.

Is it possible for western sales to pick up the slack? Possible. But again, remember that FFXIII released at the end of 2009. Total PS3 and 360 sales were roughly 70m combined by then. Total PS4 and Xbone sales are currently ~15-16m. It'll still take multiple years for them to catch up.

Anyway, back to Japan. I had a much more detailed write-up with sales data about a year ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698062. Here's the TLDR version:

So, let's say best-case scenario, the PS4 sells 2/3 as fast as the Wii or PS2. It would hit 4 million after about 90 weeks, or roughly around December 2015. I think this is realistically, the earliest you will see FFXV release, with a western release in 2016. KHIII would probably release in 2017 or 2018.

If the PS4 sells as quickly as the PS3 did in Japan, it would hit 4 million after roughly 160 weeks, or around March 2017.

The PS4 is currently selling below the PS3, launch-aligned. Things can change of course, but right now late 2016 looks like a reasonable time for release. This is speculation, but it's speculation based on extrapolating from past sales data. "Mismanagement" and "development hell" are speculation based on nothing.

watershed

Banned
People keep saying it's because of mismanagement, or there are serious issues with its development, but is there any evidence of such? Sure, these are possible reasons, but it seems to be wild speculation based on nothing.

Look, the PS4 currently has an install base of 600k in Japan. We know FFXIII sold ~1.5m first week on an install base of ~4m PS3s, and this is still the lowest-selling mainline since FFVI. Given how much development FFXV has gone through (including moving platforms), it's very likely that it costs Square Enix more than FFXIII. But even for FFXV to sell on par with FFXIII, it still won't be coming for years.

Let me reiterate: even if FFXV is ready to ship this holiday season, Square Enix would never release it. It makes no business sense to do so. They would lose tons of money. It's not because management is stupid, or the game is in development hell.

Think about it: why is Square making and releasing games like Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Dragon Quest Heroes for the PS4? And releasing them in 2015, EARLIER than FFXV? It's because these games don't cost as much, don't need to sell as much, and will help build the PS4 install base.

Is it possible for western sales to pick up the slack? Possible. But again, remember that FFXIII released at the end of 2009. Total PS3 and 360 sales were roughly 70m combined by then. Total PS4 and Xbone sales are currently ~15-16m. It'll still take multiple years for them to catch up.

Anyway, back to Japan. I had a much more detailed write-up with sales data about a year ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698062. Here's the TLDR version:

The PS4 is currently selling below the PS3, launch-aligned. Things can change of course, but right now late 2016 looks like a reasonable time for release. This is speculation, but it's speculation based on extrapolating from past sales data. "Mismanagement" and "development hell" are speculation based on nothing.
I think the observation is that if this game wasn't stuck in development hell, it would have been released on the PS3 many years ago.

Real TGS is still two weeks away. You just to fucking believe man. YOU GOTTA FUCKING BELIEVE
tumblr_naf1mhXEd31tjsogwo1_500.gif

I honestly don't know what's usual for SE since this is the first year I've tried to follow TGS as it happens. Do they usually show off big titles at Sony's conference or do they do it at their own thing during real TGS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom