• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game do you recommend the most?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
KNsin.jpg

Wildebeest

If someone wasn't into games, I would probably just name something popular but vaguely cool, probably something I haven't played, because I don't really care. Maybe tell them how much they would like Bloodborne or Doom Eternal.

Depends entirely on if I know anything about the other person's taste.

Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Inside, Portal, NOLF, CoD4, Fear, Condemned, RE4, Metroid Prime, Supreme Commander, Panzers Phase 1&2, Company of Heroes, Mirrors Edge, Psychonauts, The Witness, Talos Principle, Tetris Effect, Crysis, Hitman Blood Money, Team Fortress 2, Vampire Bloodlines, Mario Galaxy, Zelda OoT, Grim Fandango, Detroid Become Human, Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, Life is Strange, Dirt Rally 2, Wipeout Omega, World of Goo, Braid, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Wave Race, Serious Sam

one of those. I'd even recommend games I personally don't like if I think it could fit.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Phantom Dust. Best game of all time. Duh.

I should actually take a moment to explain why Phantom Dust is the best game of all time.

It's single player is 100 mission tutorial that explains the sheer depth of the game. Each mission teaches you a new mechanic, new power or new story element. It's story is entrenched firmly in anime. It's basically "Interstellar" before that was even a thing, cept wrapped in an over the top post-apocalyptic anime blanket. So, like most anime, the story is unique and bone chilling as it makes you question what existence really means. The story is delivered in spurts, leaving the protagonist to piece together what's actually happening in this world where you've been awoken by some unknown force, in a world that time has destroyed and there nothing left but this "Dust" that somehow grants you these psychic powers.

Combat is deep not just in the hand to hand, blade to blade, or psychic beam to psychic beam exchange. The Arsenal (essentially your card deck) is a carefully planned strategy that makes every fight unique, thanks to the many many different types of attack, defense "erase", "Nature" and environmental skills you use to manipulate the fight. Each skill is designated to one of five "schools" An arsenal can have up to 3 schools within ones arsenal, which dictates how quickly you regain Aura (think Mana) to cast said skills. Skills range from CQB, medium range and longe range attacks...defenses that erase other skills or can reverse attacks back at the caster, erase skills that are arena wide that can delete other people's arsenals (think like a mill deck in MTG) Environmental skills that can change the rules of the game entirely long as the skill is allowed to exist in the battle.

I could go on for a very long time about the depth of this game. But safe to say, is that going into a battle is as much about your reflexes as it is about being able make reads on what your opponent(s) strategy is. Watching how quickly their aura regains can tell you how many schools they are using in their arsenal, while watching their defense tells you which school they're using. Once that's been determined, you then use your knowledge of the skills from those arsenals to make educated guesses on what attacks and defenses you're likely to see and then form a strategy using your own arsenal to try and counter that or use the environment to your advantage.

I won't make this a wall of text, but if you've never tried Phantom Dust, the remastered version is free on PC and Xbox. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Last edited:
Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild/TotK are pretty much my go-to games for questions like that. BotW/ToTk are some of the best pure-adventure games I've ever played.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Probably Doom for a non gamer, and Metal Gear Rising for the ones with some experience

Outlier

I'm gonna have to say Baldur's Gate 3, if you're looking for a true RPG.

This game has been a trip for me, these past few weeks.

Don't remember the last time I smiled, laughed, cringed, and felt remorse for the choices and consequences I've experienced, from a game.

BG3 is a trip.

engstra

Returnal

I get it's not for everyone but it's in my Top 5 of all time. To me, that game does basically everything I want from video games at the highest level.
100% agree with this when it comes to people who are into video games. I felt like I was talking so much about it when it came out because it deserved more people to experience it than it got at launch.

The game I always list as one of my all time faves and try to convince my friends to give a chance is Pokemon Snap. Absolutely love that game and there's really nothing else like it.

100% agree with this when it comes to people who are into video games. I felt like I was talking so much about it when it came out because it deserved more people to experience it than it got at launch.

The game I always list as one of my all time faves and try to convince my friends to give a chance is Pokemon Snap. Absolutely love that game and there's really nothing else like it.
I went way down the rabbit hole. My story theories were even featured on some podcast that the devs ended up commenting on because I wrote a ton about it. I went wild... 😂

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If someone wasn't into games, I would probably just name something popular but vaguely cool, probably something I haven't played, because I don't really care. Maybe tell them how much they would like Bloodborne or Doom Eternal.

Someone isnt into games and you recommend them Bloodborne? Really? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Itll click with you pretty quick. Really intuitive and easy to pick up for someone new to the hobby."

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t think I have any game I just randomly recommend. I usually just ask what genre they prefer and then go with the game I like the most within that genre.

Roxkis_ii

If I was just shot gunning games for people to try.

(PC) Mertro City Police - twin stick, top down inde shooter. Great music and kinda old school hard (to me). If you use a controller, it's easier if your controller has a smaller area of movement for the analog sticks like with Stedia controller. Do not recommend playing with a Dualsense.

(PC, PS5) Returnal - God like rouge like, god like controller effects with Dualsense controller.

(Almost everything) No Man Sky - Awesome exploration, free updates. Basicly a gift to the gaming community at large

(Almost everything) NieR:Automata - great battle system, smooth combat, slow burn story with one of the best ending in gaming.
Your first two play throughs are only the mid point of the game. The second play though can be a bit boring, but worth it to get to the last ending.

I have lot more, but I'm to lazy to worte them out.

K2D

Banned
Most often and intensely to friends? Bloodborne.

For people like me..? Binding of Isaac Rebirth. Unless you have an addictive personality disorder maybe..?

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I would need someone to recommend it to so I'm out 😄

But back in the day I recommended Fallout 3 to a friend who already enjoyed RPGs and he quit early because he felt intimidated after reaching Megaton.
The pure freedom of just doing what you wanted just overwhelmed him.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I just want to point something out I always found hilarious about the series

the main series theme "My Glorious Days" makes me laugh out loud because all I can think of is the Berlin Wall.

I mean its literally just remixed the old East German national anthem.

Rance discussion over

my recommendation would always be

but only so long as your using the retranslation project

Ar Tonelico 2 is a truly special game, its sad that not many people have played it and even sadder that the translation was full of aged memes and made up jokes that did not actually fit the real dialog in many scenes. But with the fan patch its something I would always recommend. a Great JRPG with the best soundtrack in gaming.

Last edited:

Fbh

As of late (and depending who I'm talking to) Outer Wilds.

Not because I think it's the best game but because most people with some interest in gaming have probably already heard or played stuff like The Witcher 3, Elden Ring or Bloodborne. But Outer Wilds was niche enough that a lot of people I've talked haven't even heard about it.

Top Bottom