• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game of 2010 had the WORST story?

After browsing through this threads counterpart, I thought we should have a discussion on the worst story in a video game of 2010. My vote? Final Fantasy XIII. Why? Because it's piss, that's why.

EDIT: Let's try to keep it to one vote per person. I'll tally them all up towards the end.

Guevara

Of the games I played: Crackdown 2. I know it's not the kind of game you play for the story, but it was almost intentionally stupid. The continuation from Crackdown was incredibly strained.

Wouldn't it be Mario Galaxy 2 by default? I mean, if we're talking about story.

Or is this thread just an excuse for people to shit on games they don't like/feel like trolling?

Nah, I actually want to hear opinions on the worst story for people. I've played games I like where I didn't care for the story at parts.

CozMick

Banned
Black Ops was all kinds of bad but my worst story of 2010 award goes to FFXIII, that shit made me fall asleep many a time.

StuBurns

Banned
Yoshiya said:
At least with Bayonetta the terrible story is fun to watch.
I felt that way about Vanquish too.

Regarding 2 Minutes Turkish's post, I just want to say I really loved Bayo and Vanquish.

Llyranor

Star Ocean 4's story and characters are so awful that they transcend time and win the 2010 award in the same category as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Compared to the originals, a tie between Mass Effect 2 and Mafia II.

Mass Effect 2 has really great individual character stories, but the main plot was a mess. I like all the ideas, but the actual flow of the plot was a disaster.

Mafia II was pretty similar. Loved the individual character writings, loved the dialogue, and loved the concept, but the overall execution was really weak.

In both cases it felt like the overarching main plot was missing a tight pacing, key moments, and even the standard story construct of beginning/middle/end.

stay gold

Mass Effect 2

Im gonna give FFXIII credit for at least attempting a story. ME2 just kinda stood around with its hands in its pockets and a dumb look on its face.

ezekial45

Banned
No More Heroes 2:

To keep it short, the game felt like it was a straight to DVD sequel. I totally loved the first game, but the second just felt really lifeless. The majority of the characters felt totally shallow, the flashback sequences with Sylvia were just dumb and was deliberately there for sequel baiting (the first game did it extraordinarily better), and Travis' quest for revenge just seemed really contrived.

The game came out 10 months ago and i'm still pissed off. :lol

I'm only up to 8 hours in FF13 so I can't say that.

Mass Effect 2 then. I'll probably give second(or first!) place to FF13 depending on what happens next.

The deal with ME2 is that for the most part I was just getting involved in everyone's little soap opera. By the time the end came around I had no real idea why I was picking a fight with a
giant T-800

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
GeoramA said:
Just Cause 2, easily :lol
Yup. Lots of troll posting in here, but Just Cause is probably as bad as it gets realistically. It isn't interesting, it doesn't make any sense, and there doesn't seem to be much of a point in following it at all.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This thread doesn't really work. Even in a year with Metroid: Other M, Final Fantasy 13, Heavy Rain and many others, there really isn't a definitive 'worst' game story. Pretty much all of them suck, it's like trying to find the stinkiest turd. People are just gonna vote for the game that they like to troll, or the game that disappointed them.

So I'll vote for the best game with the worst story: Just Cause 2. Everything about the story, characters and dialogue was idiotic. I'm aware that it was supposed to be intentional, but that doesn't really help.

Amir0x

Banned
Final Fantasy XIII's story is particularly bad, but since everyone is gonna list it, I just want to highlight the continuing Assassin's Creed saga story as being the true worst of the worst ongoing narrative in gaming today.

I like AC2 and ACBro but the story itself is so comically awful at this point that I can't wait to see what shit they're going to throw in next. Is Obama the Illuminati alien heir to Minerva's ancient kingdom? Is Sarah Palin secretly controlling the economy using Abstergo as a cover? Is Julian Assange really working for the Assassin's? Did the Mayans have a temple on the sun that predicted the apocalypse is nigh in 2012? Is Desmond really going to fucking have to choke a bitch?

Stay tuned in the continuing tales of: "LACK OF SELF-RESTRAINT: WHY PUTTING ALL YOUR IDEAS TO PAPER IS NOT A GOOD IDEA" Part 4

Grisby

Other M and God of War 3. They probably weren't the worst but like I said in the other thread, they were incredibly disappointing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I can't believe that somebody would say something like Mass Effect 2 or Vanquish when a story as shitastic as Metroid: Other M exists. Mass Effect 2 is more about characterization and Vanquish is half-parody. Other M is terrible on all fronts.

FF13 wasn't a good story but there was far worth this year. As someone pointed out Just Cause 2 has a horrible horrible story.

StuBurns

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Is Vanquish's actually bad? It looked pleasantly insane to me.
It's just mindless, but also very intrusive in terms of playtime. I was blown away by the quality of the cutscenes so I enjoyed them on that level though.

zlatko

Banned
It's gotta be the campaign in Black Ops. 100% diarreha adventure.

I'd also think without playing it Fable 3 has the worst story of 2010, since Fable 2 had NO story in a RPG that's a pretty big WTF. Having heard F3 is worse in more ways than one compared to F2 which I thought was already a steaming pile of donkey shit put into videogame format then I think it's safe to assume F3's non existent plot was the worst of 2010. :lol

ZealousD said:
I can't believe that somebody would say something like Mass Effect 2 or Vanquish when a story as shitastic as Metroid: Other M exists. Mass Effect 2 is more about characterization and Vanquish is half-parody. Other M is terrible on all fronts.

Didn't play Other M. *shrug*

Other M and Heavy Rain deathmatch.

Mass Effect's 2 wasn't bad, it just literally lost the plot. The first game set up this grand galactic fight against an immortal race of machine gods beyond human reckoning. The second game starts with a giant thinly-veiled reset button forcing your Shepard to potentially act out of character as you recruit soldiers for a fight against bug-men and a giant Terminator. And then it ends... setting up this grand galactic fight against an immortal race of machine gods beyond human reckoning. Yep, they're still coming! It feels like a sidestory that could have starred a totally different character.

Top Bottom