• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game of 2010 had the WORST story?

~Kinggi~

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Does Alan Wake have a bad story? I know it's confusing but is it bad?
Not at all. When talking about bad stories in videogames, Alan Wake shouldnt be in the discussion cause basically 95% of everything else this year was worse.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I know I didn't play Bayonetta for the story, nor Vanquish, so those I'll pass on.

But FFXIII was trying to tell a good story, with the piano intro music and all for that over-dramatic effect it was trying to pull off, but was too weird and a confusing.

I think Square-Enix was trying too hard.

:lol :lol :lol

EatChildren said:
I mean, the fact it has at least one glaring plot hole and inconstancy indicates something went wrong. Either they forgot, which is bad form, or they ran out of time, which is poor management.
I actually can't remember what this is right now!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

It was a mess.
I love Remedy, but what they thought would be deep and though provoking was just convoluted and silly. Maybe someone who actually understood the plot could feel otherwise, but all I got from it was a headache. It didn't help that the cutscenes were ruined by the hilariously bad lip syncing.

~Kinggi~ said:
Not at all. When talking about bad stories in videogames, Alan Wake shouldnt be in the discussion cause basically 95% of everything else this year was worse.
I still have to play it.

Good thing it's pretty good compared to the other games being mentioned! :p

Snuggler said:
It was a mess.
I love Remedy, but what they thought would be deep and though provoking was just convoluted and silly. Maybe someone who actually understood the plot could feel otherwise, but all I got from it was a headache. It didn't help that the cutscenes were ruined by the hilariously bad lip syncing.

Neuromancer said:
I'm going to have to disagree with my colleague, Mr. ~Kinggi~, and say that it was both confusing and bad.
Okay, nevermind.

I'll still enjoy it. The graphics look great at least!

Fimbulvetr said:
Shepard hits a planet with his face and is brought back because nanomachines and space cash.
Oh right, and everyone just kinda shrugs and goes "oh cool" and the implications of resurrecting a barely recognizable hunk of burned and frozen meat are never brought up again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EmCeeGramr said:
I actually can't remember what this is right now!

The Collector seeker that randomly appears in Mordin's lab, allowing him to develop protection against the swarms on Horizon. It is never explained where he got it.

Arnie

As much as I loved the game as a whole and eagerly await the sequel it seems like this thread was made with Heavy Rain in mind.

David Cage needs to rethink his ability to write, because Heavy Rains story was atrocious. I honestly think I could have come up with a better story, no joke.

I mean why the hell was the dad having random fits where he would pass out and wake up with a piece of Origami in his hand? I don't ever feel like that crucial piece of the story was ever explained to me.

EatChildren said:
The Collector seeker that randomly appears in Mordin's lab, allowing him to develop protection against the swarms on Horizon. It is never explained where he got it.
Oh fuck, I was just thinking of that but forgot it. Yeah, that was dumb.

Also ME2 only continued and championed the whole "humans are the special balanced adaptable master race that will save us all" tripe.

Durante

Traumahound said:
Metroid: Other M was horrific. I didn't (couldn't) even get very far into the game. The baby. Thumbs down. Just awful. I enjoyed this deconstruction of Other M's story.
Fascinating to find a game (story) review on a blog I used to read 3 years or so ago for insightful programming-related information :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EmCeeGramr said:

Also ME2 only continued and championed the whole "humans are the special balanced adaptable master race that will save us all" tripe.
then why we still got's humans?

Y2Kev said:
then why we still got's humans?
Uh just you wait until GENETIC MEMORY and HUMANS BEING CREATED BY SUPER ALIENS (the dumbest plot devices of all time) inevitably come into play

Arnie said:
I mean why the hell was the dad having random fits where he would pass out and wake up with a piece of Origami in his hand? I don't ever feel like that crucial piece of the story was ever explained to me.

Apparently the explanation for this was cut out of the game. Cage originally tried to handwave away questions about it in interviews, calling it a "MacGuffin" (David Cage doesn't know what MacGuffins are), then recently revealed it.

Okay... (breathes) so
Ethan and Shelby had a psychic connection that was created at the instant of JAY-son's death at the hands of that really slow moving car. Whenever Shelby killed someone, or something like that, Ethan was supposed to have visions of the entire world flooding and of drowned children and folding origami because he was entering Shelby's mind. That's why he went to the site where Shelby's jerk twin brother died.

Amir0x

Banned
it's funny that the explanation is actually worse than not knowing

only David Cage is capable of such brilliance

What videogame story isn't mediocre? I've been reading books and watching some series; it made me remember how many videogames stories are terrible.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EmCeeGramr said:

There's so much equally dumb shit as well.

- Lets cram the entire squad into this shuttle and blast off for no reason while the ship gets attacked.

- Garrus your face is all fucked up. I'll buy the face correction surgical unit. OH WAIT IT DOESNT HELP YOU (I prefer messed up Garrus, but whatever).

- EDI hypes super secret locked crazy important GAME CHANGING information early on. Finally unlocks. Nothing of importance is learned.

- The most interesting and lore important character is introduced at the very end of the game, and players dont even have to use him.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Traumahound said:
Metroid: Other M was horrific. I didn't (couldn't) even get very far into the game. The baby. Thumbs down. Just awful. I enjoyed this deconstruction of Other M's story.

Okay, wow, I just read this. What the hell did they do to Metroid? That's beyond terrible!

EmCeeGramr said:

But you see the Turians are so primitive and the Asari are a race of blue space babes with natural telekinetic powers.

We reapers can only be created using the blandest of species. And humans are so bland that they don't even have a dumb stereotype like every other race in the galaxy. It really was the perfect choice.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Sgt.Pepper said:
What videogame story isn't mediocre? I've been reading books and watching some series; it made me remember how many videogames stories are terrible.

terrible stories are far less frequent than terribly told stories.

there are some well-told stories in games. but few.

Sgt.Pepper said:

There's a difference between mediocrity and "what is this I don't even".

This thread is about the latter.

Ridley327

EmCeeGramr said:
Apparently the explanation for this was cut out of the game. Cage originally tried to handwave away questions about it in interviews, calling it a "MacGuffin" (David Cage doesn't know what MacGuffins are), then recently revealed it.

Okay... (breathes) so
Ethan and Shelby had a psychic connection that was created at the instant of JAY-son's death at the hands of that really slow moving car. Whenever Shelby killed someone, or something like that, Ethan was supposed to have visions of the entire world flooding and of drowned children and folding origami because he was entering Shelby's mind. That's why he went to the site where Shelby's jerk twin brother died.

its-full-of-stars.jpg

Despite having that knowledge, I'd still give it to Other M.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ken Masters said:
Fable has never had a story worth noting to begin with
Fable was fine as long as it was simple.

In Fable I, you stop an evil guy by doing good/bad feats - in a game so aptly titled 'Fable' this is perfect.

In Fable III, you lead a rebellion against your brother (who had the right idea all along) by farting on everyone who crosses your path. The Boogieman makes a guest appearance somewhere along the line too. That new country? What of it?

I'm going to have to say, utilising tear-filled retrospective comparison, that - story-wise - Front Mission Evolved broke my heart. There was little political intrigue, nothing felt particularly grandiose or intricate...I was one of the few around here that kept a candle burning in hope.

One of the big let-downs, and a pedestrian action game that could have been saved by narrative. Not to be, sadly.

EatChildren said:
There's so much equally dumb shit as well.

- The most interesting and lore important character is introduced at the very end of the game, and players dont even have to use him.

I'm guessing it's the
Geth
?

I think I accidentally
gave him away for credits or something
. I wasn't paying attention and all I could think was "fuck! I missed an achievement!"

Call of Duty: Black Ops was hilarious. My recollection of the game's story:

Interrogator: "Mason, tell me what the numbers mean."
Mason: "I already told you, I don't know what the numbers mean."
Interrogator: "We are running out of fucking time, Mason! Tell me what the fucking numbers mean!"
Mason: "I already fucking told you I don't know what the fucking numbers mean! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUUUUUUU FUUUUUU FUUUUU FUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK MY FUCKING HEAD, AGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"
*flashback*

Repeat a dozen times. I was actually offended by the story during certain points of the game. The first game told a story in a respectable and honorable way. These modern era Call of Duty games are like some meathead frat bro's Tom Clancy fan-fiction.

Antiochus

I am startled by the omission of StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty

But since it makes HotS alleged ending that much easier to digest, so perhaps it does not belong to this thread after all.

Gileadxv

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

I hated Alan's best friend/agent sooo much! He just absolutely destroyed almost every scene he was in. You go from moody, psychological supernatural thriller, to fat New Yorker stereotype offering some of the most pace breaking comic relief in history. With so much work going into trying to make Alan an "every man", his friend was a shallow 2 dimensional cut out that was forcibly thrust into the trusty sidekick role. There's definitely a role for humor in a scary film/game, but this isn't how you do it.

With that said, I'm not sure Alan Wake would be my worst story of 2010. Actually, I don't know what game gets that dubious honor yet, but I have a feeling I'll know it when I hear it (and I've yet to play Force Unleashed 2 yet) :lol

Kyoufu

Don't think I played a good game with a bad story in 2010... And no I don't count Mass Effect 2 or FFXIII as good games.

Gileadxv

Banned
Fable was fine as long as it was simple.

In Fable I, you stop an evil guy by doing good/bad feats - in a game so aptly titled 'Fable' this is perfect.

In Fable III, you lead a rebellion against your brother (who had the right idea all along) by farting on everyone who crosses your path. The Boogieman makes a guest appearance somewhere along the line too. That new country? What of it?

Yeah, but now you're intermixing gameplay with story. Fable 3's story was simple and mostly straightforward. It wasn't exactly nail biting (I would give it a "C"), but it's hardly its biggest fault.

*edited to add quote I was responding to*

Linkzg said:
Metroid Other M

Terribly awful on its own; much worse when you take it as part of the Metroid series.

I came here to post GoW3 but then again, Metroid Other M did it for me. I ruined my game as well =/

But then again, I played Record of Agarest War, which is awful in it's own right, and love the cheesy plot, so I'm not one to talk :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom