• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game of 2010 had the WORST story?

Fimbulvetr said:
Then why did you not list GOW3? :p

i simply forgot about it. GoW's story 3 is just unnecessary. i was so mad about it, so thanks for making me remember again. i won't list it though, i simply don't care anymore. fuck them.

replayy said:
Mass Effect 2
Im gonna give FFXIII credit for at least attempting a story. ME2 just kinda stood around with its hands in its pockets and a dumb look on its face.
DMeisterJ said:
Mass Effect 2
Buckethead said:
Mass Effect 2
Kntj said:
Mass Effect 2's was propably my favorite.
Menelaus said:
Mass Effect 2, and it ain't even close.
Ryu bogard said:
Mass Effect 2

1FcXL.gif

Yoshiya

PepsimanVsJoe said:
There's enough horribleness in this game to outlive civilization as we know it(unless Edge blows it up first).
I actually considered buying the International (PS3) version when the price bombed. Thanks for making me realise I'd be better off paying to keep it away. How this came from the same house as Valkyrie Profile and Resonance of Fate I'll never understand.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Star Ocean 4 could effectively win for every year.
Worst story for 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voxlxJpTLnA&feature=related
Worst story for 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvM9PMVFS_A&feature=related (Skip to 6:24 for everything EVERYTHING E V E R Y T H I N G)
Worst story for 2011?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8bXKJ14okw&feature=related
Worst story for 2012?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRsFIjETEOs&feature=related

There's enough horribleness in this game to outlive civilization as we know it
unless Edge blows it up first

SPOILARZ.

I agree though.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
FFXIII

i had a fun time with it though, and i liked most of the characters.

and gow3

but gow3 is still by far the best gow

jjasper

RustyNails said:
Man, all the negativity surrounding ME2's story makes me wanna skip its PS3 release. I simply cannot stand half-assed stories.

It isn't all bad. The game is like a collection of really good side stories with a main plot in the background that doesn't really amount to anything special. During the game your don't really notice it because you are constantly funneled to the individual character stories but after the game is over when you try to think about it then it becomes apparent that the main story was pretty subpar/almost nonexistent.

Edit: I think the quality of the story to will determine what happens in 3. If you loose all your characters again then the game was basically pointless, but if you keep them and 2's main story ends up being gathering your team for the war (with the collectors being the side story) then I think people's opinion on 2's story will be a little more positive.

Aaron

RustyNails said:
Man, all the negativity surrounding ME2's story makes me wanna skip its PS3 release. I simply cannot stand half-assed stories.
Think of ME2 like a half season of Star Trek rather than a movie. There's a dozen character arcs, but they're all pretty much disconnected from each other. The main plot is practically non-existent.

Vanquish is so terrible in its' wanna be MGS-ness. I skip every scene now.

Yoshiya said:
I actually considered buying the International (PS3) version when the price bombed. Thanks for making me realise I'd be better off paying to keep it away. How this came from the same house as Valkyrie Profile and Resonance of Fate I'll never understand.

The battle-system is sweet as honey-coated cotton candy. Plus I dunno I guess I just wanted to see how far the game would fall. I didn't actually quit until the second post-game dungeon(since my name is Gabriel I'm kind of obligated to not quit Tri-Ace RPGs until I kill myself).

Resonance of Fate from the few hours I've played is already better though. Sure it's a different kind of battle system and everything but man it's so much more satisfying.

SmZA

Yoshiya said:
At least with Bayonetta the terrible story is fun to watch.
Not really. For every five minutes of insane awesome spectacle there was twenty minutes of people standing around waffling. Then there were the cutscenes made up entirely of still images. If they'd reduced the 'story' down to bare bones they could've made every cutscene FMV and fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
it's funny that Mass Effect 2 is one of the most popular answers in this thread and the other

it's far from the worst, as far as I'm concerned, but it was definitely a misstep compared to the first (even though it was a better game).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Llyranor said:
Star Ocean 4's story and characters are so awful that they transcend time and win the 2010 award in the same category as well.

This is true, but Heavy Rain did come out this year. And FFXIII.

Despera said:
Fixed.

So perfect.
Accept stuff happens in XIII and the characters may be melodramatic, but they aren't to the point of sheer annoyance and pathetic ability like the Nier cast. And anyone who hypes a FF story surly is kidding. Unfortunately, Gaf likes to hype of the shitty story of Nier as some godlike thing. I can only assume I missed the memo on the joke.

So no Nier's story is shit. Probably the worst game released this year that I played.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cosmicblizzard said:
Did you even play FFXIII? Not trying to be a dick or anything, just wondering. I don't remember seeing you in the thread at all.

Yup, several months after release. I dont post in the OT of lots of games I have played if I'm not there at launch.

Edit: ME2? Really? I mean its disappointing as all hell, but people must have avoided a lot of games this year if thats the worst. I guess the expectation is the factor.

Fimbulvetr said:
I'm forcing a friend to listen to those SO4 clips.

He immediately declared wanting to rip out Lymle's throat. :lol

Lymle's overrated...or at least her terribleness.
You put a teenage girl in a Tri-ace game and she loses her mind. That's par for the course.
-Rena from SO2? They made her into a retard. Main character or not she's a total dullard who survives a 5,000 foot drop so weirdos can see her panties.
-Alisa...Alice...Alicia? Well whatever her name is from Valkyrie Profile 2? Big laundry list of bad shit happens to her.
-Lenneth from VP1/2? Part 2 was created entirely to fuck her over at the end.
-The heroine of Infinite Undiscovery gets outclassed and dragged around by a magnificent moron.
-Everyone in SO4. There's Lymle of course who had her growth stunted by some traumatic event...which sort of makes sense except it's physical too...kay? There's um..Meowth or whatever the hell the cat's name was...she's the terrible one(awesome in battle so I can't dump her either...fuckkkkkk). Then um the other one the main character who has like 3423526346634 nude scenes and gets spied on by a stupid kid who destroyed earth.

-Hell Resonance of Fate basically starts with a girl trying to kill herself. What do you know? She becomes one of the main characters.

jtb

Banned
Mass Effect 2 was downright mediocre, and several huge steps back from ME1, but it was in no way the worst...

My vote for worst story of 2010 would probably be tied between FFXIII and Starcraft 2 - both hyped up quite a bit and equally shittastic.

Astery

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Worst story for 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voxlxJpTLnA&feature=related
Worst story for 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvM9PMVFS_A&feature=related (Skip to 6:24 for everything EVERYTHING E V E R Y T H I N G)
Worst story for 2011?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8bXKJ14okw&feature=related
Worst story for 2012?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRsFIjETEOs&feature=related

There's enough horribleness in this game to outlive civilization as we know it(unless Edge blows it up first).

o god, I can't even stand finish watching any one of them.

Aaron

Fimbulvetr said:
What? :lol
So the gruff-talking, cigarette-smoking super agent with the hot lady constantly calling him on the comm doesn't ring any bells for you? How about super advanced war machines and bad Russian accents? Slender computer hacker science person? Bizarrely inappropriate conversations with allies in the midst of battle? Any of this sound the least bit familiar?

brentech

Heavy Rain and Alan Wake suffer the same fate of being touted for their story and then totally over-saturating them with bullshit. You have to overlook some glaring holes within the story telling for both games due to this, but all-in-all, they're still interesting games. They don't belong in the "worst" category they've just been shoved there due to what they were supposed to be for the medium.

Video games have many more criminals for this superlative to take the cake.

Other M sounds like the worst, in the sense that even if another game's was worse, the fact that it contributed to the intense mediocrity of Other M by being there makes it come out on top.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
A non-existent story doesn't necessarily equate to being a bad one. For me, ME2's focus is Shepard's team. The story is about them. I think this is mainly the case, because BioWare intends to use the same team in ME3, which I wouldn't mind at all. I hope that's the case, anyway, because if they decide to scrap everyone in ME2, I'll be disappointed.

I think this is the way I'm going to handle ME2's story. It all depends on how they handle ME3. If ME3 keeps the characters from ME2 (and handles them well) then I will forgive ME2's handling of the core story because I see the overall arching plot. However, if ME3 forgoes or ignores a majority of ME2 characters and keeps a few (or even keeps less and makes most of them newly introduced characters) then the ME story will be forgettable. Hopefully that will not be the case.

Anyway, I am in no way suggesting ME2 here. I find ME2 to have one of the better stories of 2010. As for the worst story, that I cannot say with definite certainty right now.

Saying that Mass Effect 2 had the worst story of 2010 is INSANE. It might not have been the best, but it wasn't even close to the worst, and the writing was really good, which does make up for any small pratfalls in the main tale. What was the worst? Force Unleashed 2, maybe. I'm not far through, but it's shocking. Bayonetta was awful, and Vanquish - but I forgive it, because in Vanquish's case it's almost knowing - or, the translation is. Alan Wake's was pretty shocking - not for what it tried to do, but in how drastically it failed. Heavy Rain wasn't the worst, but it was noticeable as being bad - you put that much stock in story in your game, it had better be good enough to back itself up, and Heavy Rain wasn't.

However, my winner is Other M. It was so bad it actively forced me to stop playing, when I really wanted to continue - as a fan of franchise, and the character. Awful writing, awful plot, made no narrative sense to the gameplay - just a disaster.

People saying stuff like ME2 and Reach are just being ridiculously hyperbolic.

Sure, ME2's main plot was pretty weak and there are some glaring plot holes likely caused by cut content (where the fuck did Mordin get that seeker?), but to call it the worst game story of 2010 is simply asinine, and several of the character's arcs are amazing, especially Mordin, Thane, and Legion.

When you have shit like Other M, which is a barely coherent mess and what is there is incredibly sexist and insulting to both women and the established universe it's set in, there's just no contest.

Speevy said:
If it didn't have an awful story, I'd check to see whether I was actually playing a video game.
Yes.

Mass Effect 2 had a shitty story. I will not deny that. But it had awesome characters and character interaction.

Final Fantasy XIII. I don't even remember what it was about beyond BAD SOLDIERS ARE BAD AND THE MACHINES CONTROL US ALL OH NO CURSED!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Reading this thread makes me wonder... Were there literally any Japanese games with decent stories this year?

I hear Xenoblade was great, but, yeah :(

UrbanRats

I know it's not the worst, but given the fact that the game put so much emphasis on it, and given the pre-lauch build up on the aspect, i'd say Heavy Rain had the most disappointing story of 2010, for me.

PepsimanVsJoe said:

It's not the voice acting that irks me in these videos - it's the awful fucking character design. Everything looks like a moe doll, a furry's wet dream or a Power Rangers reject. Fucking awful...

... I need to play this.

mattiewheels said:
Reading this thread makes me wonder... Were there literally any Japanese games with decent stories this year?

Nier is getting a lot of love in the best story thread.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Trent Strong said:
Alan Wake.
Yeah, fuck this right here.

First the game was going all super hackneyed but was pointing at itself like they knew they were being a bunch of god damn story morons.

Then the sky opened up to speak to me and I knew the whole game would be bullshit. The only scary part about this whole game is the facial animations.

Finaika

mattiewheels said:

I enjoyed Castlevania: LoS` story.

cosmicblizzard said:
Not Japanese.
And also terribly told.

I mean it's possibly pretty solid, but it's just executed far to lousy. You have a lot of supposed character development for Gabriel that happens in the Diary portions. Yet they aren't reflected at all in the actual game. Gabriel's actions and words hardly lead you to believe anything is happen for a real reason. And when it comes down to the end, his supposed cry for redemption is pretty hollow. Because he never seemed that evil or courpted before then.

Besides that you have the underdeveloped side characters. You also have the twist that's pretty obvious, but also leads to like 20 mins of "lets exposition". And you have the real enemy that kind of comes out of nowhere. The game is supposedly about duality , but the game never real sells that theme. You really don't see the characters displaying and dealing with those dualities. When they do it seems random and out of nowhere. Like Gabriel at the the end of the game.

And then that little extra ending doesn't make any sense.

Top Bottom