• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Indiana Jones movie is your favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raiders over Crusade by just a little. Both are wonderful movies.

Don't see the Disney ride listed on anyone's lists. I work with kids and one of them says that's his favorite. I mean, he's got a point. Only one to actually make you feel IN the movies lol

My favorite ride at Disneyland.

All three indy films are fantastic, but I have to go for Last Crusade

"The quest for the grail is not archeology, it's a race against evil. If it is captured by the Nazis the armies of darknesh will march all over the face of the earth. Do you understand me?"

"We named the *dog* Indiana."

"The penitent man is humble before God."
"Penitent. Penitent..."
"The penitent man is humble..."
"He kneels before God....KNEEL!"

Raiders if the best. Just about perfect.
Temple of Doom I loved growing up, then it kind of fell out of favor with me. But now, for whatever reason, I really like it again. 2nd best.
The Last Crusade is a close third. It's kind of slipped for me over the years with it being a bit too goofy at time, but I still really like it.

It's Temple of Doom, honestly. It's the less popular opinion but I've always been a fan of how bizarre, imaginative, and unrelenting it is, and it has so many varied and memorable set-pieces.

I also think it has the single best scene in any Indiana Jones movie, which comes when Indy is freeing the slave children in the caves, and there's a moment where he's draped in shadows then a close-up where's he's just glaring at fools like a boss. Then this song starts playing.

iztOfynIiI1T0.jpg

il45g9uK1rEmy.jpg

Unbeatable.

Yes, this part of Temple of Doom is so perfect.

"The quest for the grail is not archeology, it's a race against evil. If it is captured by the Nazis the armies of darknesh will march all over the face of the earth. Do you understand me?"

This is such a deliciously pulpy line, and I always loved how Williams music started to come in for that line reading.

Used to be Temple of Doom when I was a kid, but I've grown to really like Last Crusade in more recent years. I like the chemistry between Ford and Connery.

Temple of Doom. I have a bias toward "enclosed adventures" and I love the progressively more nightmarish layers of the world being uncovered. Definitely the darkest Indy movie but also a ton of fun.

milena87

I'm not sure. I love all 3 Indy movies for different reasons.

I love the quest for the Grail, the chemistry with Sean Connery and I thought The Last Crusade offered a perfect ending for the trilogy.
At the same time, I love Shorty and Willie in Temple of Doom. The movie has a lot of awesome scenes, even if it lacks the sense of adventure and discovery of the other two movies.
And Raiders is just awesome. I don't think I could ever get tired from watching it.

So maybe Raiders is my favourite.

Temple of Doom would be the best by far if it wasn't for the insanely annoying lady being melodramatic and screaming all the time.

tanooki27

^yep, when I was a kid it was last crusade. the movie is looser and goofier than raiders. now I like raiders better, mainly for its tight structure and visual storytelling.

DMczaf

It's Temple of Doom, honestly. It's the less popular opinion but I've always been a fan of how bizarre, imaginative, and unrelenting it is, and it has so many varied and memorable set-pieces.

I also think it has the single best scene in any Indiana Jones movie, which comes when Indy is freeing the slave children in the caves, and there's a moment where he's draped in shadows then a close-up where's he's just glaring at fools like a boss. Then this song starts playing.

iztOfynIiI1T0.jpg

il45g9uK1rEmy.jpg

Unbeatable.

My man.

thenexus6

The original trilogy is gold, best in movie history far as i'm concerned. It's very difficult but theres something about Crusade

-PXG-

Crusade > Temple of Doom > Raiders

I watched them all again on Blu-Ray a few weeks ago and my choices from when I was a kid are still the same.

Konka

Banned
I'm watching Crusade now and I realize that the traps to get to the Grail could have been foiled by some pretty primitive tech.

Into

I love Temple of Doom, it was originally suppose to all happen in a mansion, sort of Indiana Jones visits the Adams Family but Spielberg nixed the idea. But it retained some of that cheesy horror. Its a darker film but somehow more fitting to my idea of this character and the world he inhabits.

For me Last Crusade, just felt stale, even the first time i saw it, it was just a attempt to do Raiders again, ive seen Raiders and ToD over 10 times, think ive seen Crusader at best 3.

mcz117chief

My reaction.

I am not insulting the fans of the Indiana Jones, I like all the movies, but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is just my favourite. It has great characters, good action, great effects, nice throwbacks to older movies and nice ending.

AniHawk

raiders all day every day, although i enjoyed the last crusade the best as a kid. today i think raiders is the most cohesive film, with each one trying (and failing) to recapture that level of film making in some way.

temple remains my least favorite.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I am not insulting the fans of the Indiana Jones, I like all the movies, but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is just my favourite. It has great characters, good action, great effects, nice throwbacks to older movies and nice ending.

You are an odd fellow.

Raiders legitimately is the best movie ever made... As others here have said, it's basically perfect from start to finish. Not a wasted shot or scene. Has it all - romance, adventure, action, horror, comedy, etc. fantastic score, pacing, cinematography, special effects, chase and action choreography, iconic character etc.

Not to say the others aren't fantastic either. They just aren't raider, which is OK.

Raiders, Last Crusade, Crystal Skull, Temple of Doom.

The intro to Temple of Doom is really good. It just feels a a bit samey since it has fewer locations. Kate Capshaw, once you get over her how annoying Willie is, is a fine lady. She doesn't have the moxie of Marion.

Last Crusade is a bit clumsy in places, and Julian (Hey, I'm also on Game of Thrones) Glover was not well cast as the main villain. But Connery and Ford a great team. This one grows on me the more I watch it.

Unpopular opinion, but I don't hate Crystal Skull. Stuff happens, good action, sense of humour works, I don't care that its aliens and not something supernatural. The fridge is dumb, but so is jumping out of a plane on a raft. Lots of GC, yep, like almost every other movie made in the last 20 years.

That said, Raiders is utterly perfect. So utterly perfect and sublime a film experience. Like Star Wars, The Godfather 1&2, Wrath of Khan, Dark Knight, High Noon, Casablanca, North by Northwest, etc.

Axial

Unbeatable.
Second that, all three are great movies respectively, but Temple of Doom gotta be my favourite one. This was the first from the trilogy that I saw as a little kid and it left an lasting impression on my fragile young mind, especially the above mentioned scene.
Willie : Indie, now let's out of here.
Indie : Right. All of us.
*cue John Williams music*

Raiders by a large margin over all of the others.

Don't much like Temple of Doom.

I actually like Crystal Skull. I think it's appropriate that an Indy in the 50s takes after 50s scifi in the same way that the original took after 30s serials. Though there are still definitely things I would change.

- J - D -

Temple because it's the most bizarre of the bunch, but I do recognize that it's probably the least of the trilogy objectively.

Watching the trilogy as a kid, Temple of Doom made me the most uncomfortable. With all the cult stuff it's certainly the most unnerving, not to mention the locales were for me the most exotic (the dinner scene!). Perhaps that's why I've taken a liking to it as I've gotten older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom