• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is the single, worst game review ever published?

Vae_Victis

Banned
>An Italian reviewer game 5/5 to Aliens: Colonial Marines
>The reviewer was also the director of a very important gaming museum in Italy
>In that same museum the local publisher hosted a press conference for Aliens: Colonial Marines

Hijinks happened
- A huge Italian gaming website gives 8/10 to a mediocre first person Steam indie horror game.
- One of the like 3 people in the development team is also one of the most prominent gaming journalist for that same website.
- The parent company of that website also owns an online video game store (with the same name of the website), that gets linked below every review they post.

That's some zero miles gaming for you.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
83% awarded by ST Format for Powerdrift.

qhc4zuf.jpg

76tc6vp.jpg

Seems reasonable enough looking at the screenshots right? Nope. Here's someone with remarkable patience playing it.

The game is an absolute turd. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-st-format-challenge.1533843/post-261275775 for my summary, however the basics are slideshow animation, the worst rolling road in the history of gaming (especially disappointing from the team that converted Super Hang-On), roadside sprites that hide your car, etc.

See also https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-st-format-challenge.1533843/post-261275489 84% for Hard Drivin with its impossible controls.

Last edited by a moderator:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
EDGE will not review Death Stranding because they "ran out of enthusiasm" to finish the game.

I honestly didn't renew my Edge sub for 2020 partly because of that shit (and the general decline of the mag and rise of SJW bullshit in their content). Not sure if I should renew for 2021 either.

nkarafo

qhc4zuf.jpg

76tc6vp.jpg

Seems reasonable enough looking at the screenshots right? Nope. Here's someone with remarkable patience playing it.

The game is an absolute turd. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-st-format-challenge.1533843/post-261275775 for my summary, however the basics are slideshow animation, the worst rolling road in the history of gaming (especially disappointing from the team that converted Super Hang-On), roadside sprites that hide your car, etc.

See also https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-st-format-challenge.1533843/post-261275489 84% for Hard Drivin with its impossible controls.

There are a lot or reviews like that for home computers. I remember a Greek computer magazine giving a great review for Street Fighter 2 on the Amiga, even claiming its arcade perfect. And again, the still screenshots looked good but seeing in motion... not so much. And thats not even counting the 1 button gameplay.

I think the standards were just too low for the home computer folk.

Last edited:

Wiktor

IGN's Football Manager 2009 review. Not only the reviewer hated soccer, but he was completely baffled with the idea of a game where you manage a team instead of controling players directly. It was obvious he never even knew such genre existed. It was so bad IGN removed it and posted apology :D

Kadayi

Banned
I reckon a few woke outlets are trying to get a spot in this thread for their CP2077 reviews.

I don't think anyone disagrees, but I think it's only fair to have the game in our hands and played before we can properly make that determination and cast them into room 101. 🤔

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think anyone disagrees, but I think it's only fair to have the game in our hands and played before we can properly make that determination and cast them into room 101. 🤔
Not sure one needs to play the game to determine that the whinging about transphobia is bullshit.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think we have a strong contender for the crown:

Holy shit the gamespot review, now inside that reviewer's brain :

Reminder, an RPG

• Barely ever crafted
  • Almost never changed gear
  • Did not do sidequests because one of them had cops and she does not like cops(?)
  • Ignored quests because she had more important things to do
  • Not interested in combat (ok, but might i reminder, you're a fucking reviewer? This ain't your couch session)
  • Used mantis blades once
  • Did not bother with gun attachments.
  • Did not understand what was in inventory, because she did not have time
  • Guns did not feel like Call of Dooty (duh) early on, because oh i don't know, again, RPG? (Deus Ex for fuck's sake?)
  • A depressing game by design (dystopia?), stuck in 80's style (cyberpunk?), she's disapointed (what did she expects?)
You can't make this shit up. My fucking girlfriend who can barely play Mario Kart even with assists because she sucks so much at videogames would have gotten more content out of this game than this Gamespot reviewer.

What a piece of trash review.

I want to become a food critic by just moving my fork through the plate, then give a bad review of the restaurant because i was not in the mood to try it.

that Bayonetta 2 review from Polygon. When they gave it a 7.5 due to sexism. When every other outlet gave it a 10.

There were no gameplay, technical or story reasons for the lower score. And then it came out the reviewer was a pervert. And he also failed to mention that several of the people that worked on Bayonetta franchise are women. Pretty sure Bayonetta herself was designed by a woman.

Dunki

Gran Turismo 6 Review from Venturebeat

My first time on the track was a disaster. I hit the wall three times. I spent more time off the track than on it. I even wound up driving the wrong way at one point. My lack of digital driving skills is without question. Yet, here I am reviewing Gran Turismo 6, Polyphony Digital’s latest entry in its long-running “Real Driving Simulator” franchise.

This could simply be because I’m not a racing fan and don’t get the appeal of driving around in circles without so much as a rocket launcher or turtle shell to break up the routine.

65/100 And this was a metacritic review....

ZywyPL

Banned
65/100 And this was a metacritic review....

Exactly what it deserves TBH... But yeah, this is where simple details like driving line can make all the difference for the usual crowd, to still appreciate simulation-oriented racers. GT also has it of course, but what's the point if it doesn't do its job properly? It's either blue or red, full throttle or full stop, nothing in between, and very often it tells you to start breaking waaay to early, so you end up almost going full stop before you even reach the corner, while other times it's fully blue only to all of a sudden turn red, when it's already too late and you're going out of the track no matter what... So yeah, as a driving sim it's great, but as a video game, it's average at best. Like IGN wrote about GT5 in their review - "it's a 10/10 driving sim, closed in a 5/10 game".

nkarafo

I think we have a strong contender for the crown:
Sorry if this comes out as sexist but most of those shitty reviews are made by girls. Reading those reviews feel like these people don't even care about the game and want to go back playing with their mobiles or post on twitter.

Generally, i see more women reporting stuff for games and i feel like the more i see, the harder it is to find a decent article that looks like a fucking gaming article and not one you find in gossip/social sites.

Again, this looks misogynistic but maybe in their hurry to hire all these women to fulfill their diversity quotas, maybe they hired the wrong ones?

Last edited:

Ogbert

qhc4zuf.jpg

76tc6vp.jpg

The most striking thing about that review - the price of the game.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The most striking thing about that review - the price of the game.

That was about standard at the time. Some big-box Microprose games would go up to £30 on ST and £35 on PC. That's 1990 money of course, which means it's fucking expensive by modern standards.

Sorry if this comes out as sexist but most of those shitty reviews are made by girls. Reading those reviews feel like these people don't even care about the game and want to go back playing with their mobiles or post on twitter.

Generally, i see more women reporting stuff for games and i feel like the more i see, the harder it is to find a decent article that looks like a fucking gaming article and not one you find in gossip/social sites.

Again, this looks misogynistic but maybe in their hurry to hire all these women to fulfill their diversity quotas, maybe they hired the wrong ones?
Yes, it's a trend I've also noticed...

nkarafo

That was about standard at the time. Some big-box Microprose games would go up to £30 on ST and £35 on PC. That's 1990 money of course, which means it's fucking expensive by modern standards.
Damn... and i thought console games were the expensive ones back then. I guess by cheap software in homes they meant the pirated disks.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Damn... and i thought console games were the expensive ones back then. I guess by cheap software in homes they meant the pirated disks.

Console games got more expensive when the SNES and MegaDrive came out I think - I vaguely recall those being about £45 as standard.

mcz117chief

I don't know about worst, but this is by far the BEST game review ever written:

IWYYfbe.jpg
Read the thread title, it says worst, not the best!

edit: ah shit, I didn't read that one line above the picture :D

Some of the best reviews are of the worst games. I remember there was one page in my favorite gaming magazine dedicated to one bad game each month and the reviews were always like this. By far the most entertaining part of the magazine.

Last edited:

Holammer

Zero Punctuation on the OG Demon's Souls is a fun one even if he hated it. Eventually he became a cranial cement wall knocker enthusiast with Dark Souls.

Ogbert

I usually opted for the £12.99 budget releases. I think the only games I paid full price for were Bitmap Brothers and Lucasart. Loved those ST boxes with 10 discs inside!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I usually opted for the £12.99 budget releases. I think the only games I paid full price for were Bitmap Brothers and Lucasart. Loved those ST boxes with 10 discs inside!

I went for the mail order route. Back in the day you'd post off cash and an order and they'd post back games, oh how we've moved on with Amazon... Typically a £25 game would cost £17 that way which made it a lot more manageable.

John2290

That's a really strange review. So many "I's" that it reads like a blog post.
I always assumed he left himself five minutes to write the review he got that addicted to the game, which is one of the reasons I bought it and it was brilliant. it's never left my mind when i think of how games journos went from Magazine and being good to the internet and being shit, it was around the time I dropped magazine and coming to this short, synapse of a review was such a shock. Now i take reviews like this as something half decent cause at least there is passion and truth under the bad writing.

Boss Mog

This one is WAY up there for me. It was the one that really made me take notice of the cancer that are woke games "journalists". The writer and his ilk should all be locked up in an asylum until they can come to grips with reality.

Boss Mog

This. The graphics and presentation are absolutely top notch but man if feels like a chore to play. The very limited Fast Travel made me give up half-way through, I just couldn't take it anymore. The game doesn't respect your time at all making you constantly ride to and from the same locations for minutes at a time. You can easily play an hour without actually getting much done. The gameplay variety was still mostly non-existent with 90% of the missions being: "go to this spot on the map and shoot some guys in the exact same way you've been doing up until now".

ROMhack

I always assumed he left himself five minutes to write the review he got that addicted to the game, which is one of the reasons I bought it and it was brilliant. it's never left my mind when i think of how games journos went from Magazine and being good to the internet and being shit, it was around the time I dropped magazine and coming to this short, synapse of a review was such a shock. Now i take reviews like this as something half decent cause at least there is passion and truth under the bad writing.

Yeah I feel the same way - bad writing but it seems totally honest and that's not bad at all!

Honesty in reviews is hard to find on the internet because most reviewers seem totally burnt out at this point. Or worse, wary of providing any genuine feelings in case their readership disagrees.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

This. The graphics and presentation are absolutely top notch but man if feels like a chore to play. The very limited Fast Travel made me give up half-way through, I just couldn't take it anymore. The game doesn't respect your time at all making you constantly ride to and from the same locations for minutes at a time. You can easily play an hour without actually getting much done. The gameplay variety was still mostly non-existent with 90% of the missions being: "go to this spot on the map and shoot some guys in the exact same way you've been doing up until now".

Yep, and don't even get me started on that poxy scroll wheel to equip and change weapon

Trimesh

Banned

It's honestly a terrible shame - the game is genuinely wonderful to look it, but it's just SO FUCKING BORING.

Dunki

Exactly what it deserves TBH... But yeah, this is where simple details like driving line can make all the difference for the usual crowd, to still appreciate simulation-oriented racers. GT also has it of course, but what's the point if it doesn't do its job properly? It's either blue or red, full throttle or full stop, nothing in between, and very often it tells you to start breaking waaay to early, so you end up almost going full stop before you even reach the corner, while other times it's fully blue only to all of a sudden turn red, when it's already too late and you're going out of the track no matter what... So yeah, as a driving sim it's great, but as a video game, it's average at best. Like IGN wrote about GT5 in their review - "it's a 10/10 driving sim, closed in a 5/10 game".
I would not even argue about the score. But rather the text. It does not help customers to get such a review at all. This would be nice for a second opinion or editorial how newbie friendly is Gran Turismo but not for the people who are actually intersted in the game and genre.

Top Bottom