• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

which of the 3 big mexican hot sauces is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
you serious?

I'm in the midwest and I get this shit.

Check your mexican/foreign aisle at literally any grocery store.
i'm 100 percent serious. i don't recognize the bottle at all. i recognize a bunch of the bottles posted here even though i've never used them.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
03009-original.jpg
This!

Ninman

Im mexican (chihuahua) Valentina is definitely the most popular and im pretty sure tapatio is the americanized version of Valentina,just like the Tabasco garbage.
so Valentina>>>Tapatio.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
tobasco is to hot sauce as goldeneye is to the FPS genre. fun, but basically that beginner level shit.

Sriracha and Cholula/Tapatio are your next step.

Looks like I'm gonna be doing some hunting this week - but I doubt it'll be easy to find here.

I know my hot sauces, but only on the Indian insanely-hot stuff that even I don't dare to put more than a drop of in food - never had anything Mexican because it's just not available.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
today I learned their are tabasco haters. wtf.

Esch

Banned
Looks like I'm gonna be doing some hunting this week - but I doubt it'll be easy to find here.

I know my hot sauces, but only on the Indian insanely-hot stuff that even I don't dare to put more than a drop of in food - never had anything Mexican because it's just not available.
Europe?

I see you're on the chutney tip at least.

linko9

Never heard of Valentina. Cholula's great, prolly my favorite, but honestly I've never met a hot sauce I didn't like.

Am I the only one super disturbed by the OP successfully starting a hot sauce discussion with putting hot sauce on his fucking Taco Bell? WTF

Clydefrog

Am I the only one super disturbed by the OP successfully starting a hot sauce discussion with putting hot sauce on his fucking Taco Bell? WTF

how else would it become edible?

granted, the OP is going to have legendary diarrhea but wouldn't hot sauce make it go down easier?

edit: yeah, miri

Esch

Banned
BTW i put hot sauce on everything, and maintain different hot sauces in my cabinets for that very purpose. I even have gochujang.

SpecX

Cholula isn't a "hot" hot sauce, but I think it's actually got a lot of flavor compared to something like original Tabasco.

I agree 100%. I love Cholula and even got my wife hooked and she hates hot sauce. Cholula adds great flavor to any dish I add it to and I love all the variety flavors. My family has always lived by Tabasco and Tapatio, but we broke that tradition and started using Cholula instead.

Esch

Banned
These type of sauces are made for crap like Taco Bell. Putting these on real tacos is a sin.

exactly, whenever i go to somewhere with authentic mexican food they have a house sauce served with whatever i like. I like my fuckery like taco bell to be gross and ridiculous, and i like my authentic to be authentic.

cilantro and onions and salsa and meat.

and maybe guac if im in the mood.

Yes Boss!

Of the big three amercan releases, I'd go with Cholula...just a bit classier than the other two.

Though, when I was living in Texas I really latched on to Valentina. Great value on this brand.

Kinda burned out on Tapatio.

Yeah, nothing beats homemade but bottled are really great too.

We need San Luis releases in the states.

And what is with the Xanthum/Guar/Arabic hate. I often put that in my homemade sauces.

Cholula isn't hot sauce. It's red sauce. Even Tabasco has more heat. That said, the flavor it does provide is tasty nonetheless.

Of the ones OP mentioned, Tapatio gets my vote. Amazing stuff.

But really, sriracha > any other big brand.

El Yucateca is the best, my favorite of theirs is the Kutbil-Ik, apparently based on a Mayan recipe. Out of the three you posted, I prefer Valentina.

XenoRaven

I have never liked Tapatio. Yeah I said it. It just doesn't taste good to me and ends up ruining whatever I put it on.

I'll have to try Cholula.

-Eddman-

Qué onda! My opinion as a Tapatío (someone from Guadalajara) is:

-Valentina is fuck awesome for chips, peanuts, sliced sausages and related snacks

-For food like Tacos and other meaty dishes, I like Bufalo, Huichol (this one is highly recommended for ceviche and fish) and Lol-Tun (Habanero)

-Stay away from Tabasco, that shit is horrible, basically 90% vinegar, 10% water.

Haven't tried Tapatío, as far as I know it's not sold in Mexico.

PS: Órale, no sabía que Nintendoll le hacía al español.

bengraven

There are other ones?

I thought it was a law that you needed the biggest bottle of Tapatio in your house as possible if you lived in the USA.

We used to pour that into a bag of Fritos and shake the fuck out of it and sit around the table eating it.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I am mexican so I figured I would weigh in.

I don't really care for any of those, someone mentioned pato which is pretty good, there is another brand I like that comes in little cans in the mexican section of the grocery store:
51RA27E2kIL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

I think that is quite good on tacos.

I also hate to be that guy, but nothing holds a candle to making your own. I posted a good base cooked salsa recipe in the spicy foods thread, give that a shot someday:

1 can whole peeled tomatoes (28 oz)
25 or 30 dried chiles de árbol
Salt
3/4th cup of water.

Wipe the chiles off with a slightly moist towel(sometimes they can be dusty) cut off the stems. You can remove some of the seeds of you want to tone done the heat. Put the chiles, tomatoes, and a touch of salt in a pot and heat slowly up to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, then let it cool.

Pour into a blender, add 3 or 4 garlic cloves in the blender, a small yellow onion, an a pinch of mexican oregano. Blend to the smoothness that you want, then bring to a simmer again for 10 minutes. Add salt as you wish.

I often put a cilantro bunch in with the onions and garlic, and a pinch of cumin or sometimes replace the can of tomatoes with roasted fresh tomatoes with very good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom