• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Wolverine suit/style do you want to see on PS5

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
bg1roID.jpg
Post of the year

saintjules

Do you guys think the Wolverine game will look like Spider-Man's? In terms of graphic fidelity, character appearance, size of the characters, art direction, etc?

They are superheroes, fictional people with superpowers. Their costumes don't need to make to make sense. Unlike in religious books nobody is pretending that these fictional characters with superpowers are real.

I mean, Wolverine is a guy with metal covered bones, extensible claws, expanded senses that autoheals superfast who is part of a superhero team with people who flies and do other weird things. Compared to that, wearing underwear on the outside of a yellow and blue costume is a reasonable and realistic thing.
That typical yellow thing looks hilarously bad especially if they go anywhere near a realistic world. It does not look unrealistic per se, which I did not really imply, impratical was the point, but it just does not look good. Just because the rest is fantasy does not automatically allow for a pajama style clothing to look cool nowadays. Anyone wearing full body spandex looks like belonging to a mental institute. There is a reason almost all movies tried to stay away from some original designs as far as possible. A drawn figure get's away with it better, since no comic really goes to realistic visuals at all, and simple contrasting colors are more important, but transfering the very same thing into real cinema and or realistic CGI and it immediately looks awful. Star Trek also get's away with it, because it is supposed to be regular, simple, unspectacular clothing. Superheroes should wear better stuff though.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I really need to go back and play the other Wolverine game. I remember liking it. I think I played it on either the PS2, Xbox or Xbox 360.

saintjules

Depends if you get the Pro or not ;)

Haha. Well I guess the overall art style and the way the characters look is what I meant verus just fidelity and framerate.

When looking at SM2, there's some quality improvements, but as far as new-gen goes, how would a Wolverine game look?

yurinka

That typical yellow thing looks hilarously bad especially if they go anywhere near a realistic world. It does not look unrealistic per se, which I did not really imply, impratical was the point, but it just does not look good. Just because the rest is fantasy does not automatically allow for a pajama style clothing to look cool nowadays. Anyone wearing full body spandex looks like belonging to a mental institute. There is a reason almost all movies tried to stay away from some original designs as far as possible. A drawn figure get's away with it better, since no comic really goes to realistic visuals at all, and simple contrasting colors are more important, but transfering the very same thing into real cinema and or realistic CGI and it immediately looks awful. Star Trek also get's away with it, because it is supposed to be regular, simple, unspectacular clothing. Superheroes should wear better stuff though.
It's a Marvel superhero videogame adaptation of an iconic character, it shouldn't be realistic. It should be a good adaptation, which means that there will be people with superpowers and bright colored pajama costumes with the underwear on top because it's one of the iconic things of this universe and this character.

To remove the pajama costumes would be like to make a Mario Bros adaptation removing his red and blue clothes and his moustache.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
He had a superhero costume before joining the X-Men, in his first appearance (Hulk #188, 1974):
wolverine_first_appearance-copy-580x443.png

Later in the comics they explained pre X-Men stuff where he had the Weapon-X costume when being experimented on -as I remember is when he got his adamantium bones- and soon after did cover ops (with another costume) in a weapon X team called X-Team where he had other team members as Sabertooth, Omega Red or Deadpool before becoming enemies.
Earth 1048 isn't gonna follow any of this. I am not really sure what the story for this game is gonna be, but if it isn't some classic superhero thing where he is part of a team or protecting his hidden identity then I don't know why he would have a costume.

Bigfroth

I don't think anybody needs to worry about suits in this game, like the spider men's games Logan will probably have 100 suits to choose from lol.

yurinka

Earth 1048 isn't gonna follow any of this. I am not really sure what the story for this game is gonna be, but if it isn't some classic superhero thing where he is part of a team or protecting his hidden identity then I don't know why he would have a costume.
I assume they'll do as they did with Spider-Man: to tell in their own way the origins of the hero merging the story from many comics adding a few tweaks and twists on their own, like adding woke stuff.

I bet the first game will be set in his pre X-Men era: origins, Weapon-X, X-Team, Madripur etc. They could even multiple games in that era, there's a lot of rich stuff there.

I assume that at the end of this game, or let's say trilogy, he may join the X-Men. And like in the Wolverine comics, they may continue making more Wolverine solo adventures while he is part of X-Men.

I think we'll see X-Men members and enemies as cameos or secondary NPCs in the Wolverine games, but I think it won't be an X-Men game.

I think that at a certain point they'll move from Wolverine games to X-Men games. And I think they'll do it pretty soon, maybe doing an X-Men game after the Wolverine game instead of making Wolverine 2 because Sony and Insomniac seem to have issues with white heterosexual male protagonist and they replace them as soon as they can.

If there's a Wolverine 2 game probably the main character may be X-23 instead of Logan unless Insomniac makes Logan non-white, gay, trans or something like that.

Wtf is that...
I think it was Wolverine and Hercules kissing in a comic from 10 years ago set in an alternate universe. I stopped reading comics in the late '90s, so I may be wrong.

Last edited:
The Evolution cartoons were so damn fire, a shame it ended where it did.
It simply came out at the wrong time. Late 90s X-men cartoon fans weren’t ready for such a huge shift, and by the time people started to like the show, it was too late. Spectacular Spider-Man and Xmen Evolution had to work their way up an impossible mountain of getting those audiences to like both shows.

september 9, 2021:

isn't it weird just how universally comfortable/pleased/delighted everyone was with this announcement just 2 short years ago?...

Last edited:

T0minator

5VZo3RS.jpg

This one was one of my favorites as a kid. I'd think the suit when Wolverine joined the Fantastic 4 with Spider-Man will be in it, since Spider-Man has his in the game now.

Seems like the future of Insomniacs universe can go in some many different directions 🤓

radewagon

It's Insomniac, we'll have, like, all of them.

Also really hoping they see this thread and make sure to add the LGBTQ+ ones that you guys are proposing. It's clear that Wolverine, a member of the X-men, a comic that pretty openly sets itself up as an allegory for addressing real-world prejudice, would be a clear champion of marginalized groups. Rainbow Logan unapologetically will be my go-to costume pick.

Top Bottom