• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else doing from XL/LL to normal new 3DS?

urfe

Not going to lie, the XL is just too big for me. It was really cool at first, but now I'm really looking forward to better pixel density and a more compact system.

The XL seems quite universally liked, but more me it was more that the original 3DS has design faults, and not the size.

Hubb

I'm not getting a new 3DS, but if I were I would go with the LL. I have an XL and I like the size of it.

batrush

I am. I was hoping for a revised OG 3DS with the improvements of the XL, and Nintendo delivered. Definitely prefer the smaller form.

Dominator

I don't think I'd be able to go from XL back to the original size. XL or bust for me. I wouldn't change the faceplates anyway so not a huge loss.

Caelus

The regular n3DS with faceplates, colored buttons, matte finish and whatever the like has got me sold, I'm a sucker for portability.

Not for me. Big screen > everything else. Also I found the original 3DS very uncomfortable to hold after a while, partly because of the square edges but also because of the size. I have big man hands.

Ramstein

Banned
If I didn't get the Legend of Zelda Golden 3DSXL at launch, I would highly consider it. However, I love the 3DSXL and the golden/black Zelda 3DSXL is Godlike.

MAYBE when they come out with a Zelda version and not just a crummy faceplate. I want a golden piece of hardware.

Thankfully, Nintendo knows there are millions of people like me and a ZeldaNew3DSXL is only a few months away.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
People need to realize that the NEW 3DS screen isn't the same size as the OG 3DS screen. The system as a whole is larger too.

I doubt most people actual read this or know this though.

Jubern

Considering the screen and the whole system are larger and the 3DS LL felt a little TOO big for me, I'm thinking about it... But I'll need to hold the normal New 3DS to judge.

I probably will. I like the XL a lot, but portability's become a factor now that I'm not taking a messenger bag around with me, so it doesn't come with me in my pocket as much anymore.

Also colored buttons and faceplates.

But I probably won't buy for a while.

urfe

People need to realize that the NEW 3DS screen isn't the same size as the OG 3DS screen. The system as a whole is larger too.

I doubt most people actual read this or know this though.

A little bit, yes, but it's still a lot smaller than the XL, so the point kind of seems moot.

dcassell

Banned
Me. After upgrading to a 3DS XL I have been regretting the choice, since I didn't actually mind the small screens as much as I thought I did. The portability made it worth the trade off, and I'll definitely be going standard new 3DS on release.

I'm probably doing the exact opposite. Have the release 3DS and might pick up the new 3DS XL. Not sure though which region. My 3DS is a US model, might be getting a Japanese new 3DS this time. Region locking sucks...

Drago

Me. Faceplates + colored buttons + white (hopefully in the US) + bigger screen than the OG means that I don't mind downsizing for it. I can adjust easily.

Bardiche

I'm with the others in getting the New 3DS XL/LL. XL is much more comfortable for my hands and I can't go back after being spoiled by the XL's large screen.

zroid

Banned
need to try them out for myself first to decide which one I prefer

tentatively going for the New XL though

Busaiku

I'm still heavily debating this.
Faceplates are godsend and colored buttons are good too.
It's bigger, but not as big as I'd hoped when I heard "20% bigger", so that bums me out.

The current colors, including the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Super Smash Bros for 3DS models, really aren't doing it for me on New 3DS XL.
I didn't get a 3DS XL until the Pink/White came out, so I definitely don't want those.

EmoryM

Neo Member
Many years ago I was excited about changing the faceplate on my 360 - then I played a video game and forgot all about it.

Mortemis

Banned
Probably, yeah. I'm gonna need some impressions, but I'm definitely leaning towards the normal.

Id be interested in the regular 3DS if the battery life wasnt worse.

Eh, it's basically the same as the current XL, which isn't all that good but good enough for me. An extra hour would definitely be good, but I'm just not feeling the bigger size anymore tbh.

big_z

I would go xl to xl. the normal new 3ds screens are only a tiny big bigger than the original but the system itself nearly as big as an xl.

personally I have no plans to make the jump either way right now. I believe the new 3ds will be like the dsi where there pretty much no exclusive software is released for it. my current xl is fine unless Nintendo somehow manages to pull a truck load of must haves for the n3ds.

mstevens

This might be the first time I'll buy a non XL DS system instead of XL.. I'll have to try them both out first, though.

Zornica

Banned
I'll probably go from LL to normal, but not due to size or anything like that, but because it's cheaper and just "more different". I already own a normal 3ds (pal launch model) and a japanese LL. So adding the one with exchangeable faceplate seems like the most logical step to me. Also because I already own a japanese LL I don't need 2nd one.

Has anyone made a comparison image showing the size differences in the screens between the regular 3DS/XL and the New 3DS/XL? Numbers don't really mean anything to me. I need something that shows the difference.

also this please

B.K.

Has anyone made a comparison image showing the size differences in the screens between the regular 3DS/XL and the New 3DS/XL? Numbers don't really mean anything to me. I need something that shows the difference.

HeadphoneSlave

Neo Member
I thought about it at first, but I think if I do get the new 3DS I'll get the Xl. Like other people have said, I like the bigger screen and it feels better in my hands.

Derphoof

I really like my XL, so I'm not sure which system I'll end up purchasing. On one hand, I'm already used to the larger screen... but things will look sharper on the smaller screen. Plus, the smaller screen device gets the faceplates and sexy colored buttons (which I hope will be the same in the US).

I've got fairly large hands, so the XL feels nice... but I might have to go with the smaller device this time.

commissar

I feel even more justified having sold my 3DS XL earlier in the year.

But in the event that Nintendo make a new Zelda or Metroid, I would go for the smaller New 3DS as the comfort of the XL was nothing next to the size of those pixels :s

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Does New 3DS still use the same cradles as the old 3DS?

cradle.png

Nope

Dang0

After I lost my og 3ds I upgraded to the XL and even though I still like it, for certain games (KI:U) it became a pain to play, and I never had problems with kid icarus on my original, so that mixed with the swappable face plates means I'm down for the new smaller 3ds.

Ibuki

Banned
It's still undecided for me. I am leaning towards the smaller system though. The battery life being worse does really suck though.

B.K.

If NoA does something stupid like no colored buttons, then I definitely wouldn't be getting New 3DS.

You can probably count on that happening. There probably won't be any colored buttons and they'll probably only release the black system in America.

I kinda missed how much more portable the 3DS was. Can't exactly slip an XL into my jeans.

Plus my friend bought the awesome purple 3DS after I got my blue XL and I was mad jealous.

Top Bottom