• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is your Character of the Year?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
j4IiH.jpg

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fucker fuck fuck fucking fuck fuckers.

I LOVED how his voice-actor pronounced "fuck". Said it in a way where it didn't come across as corny.

Loona

If you're going to post Mila pics at least use something of her own instead of that bikini that used to be Kasumi's...

This is her latest DLC outfit, inspired by her Bass fangirliness, but her love her flannel shirt one and the tank top+towel+track suit pants too, this was just easier to hunt for from the phone:

06.jpg

j4IiH.jpg

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fucker fuck fuck fucking fuck fuckers.

I LOVED how his voice-actor pronounced "fuck". Said it in a way where it didn't come across as corny.

Virtue’s Last Reward spoiler: When he’s
locked in the treatment pod his delivery of “when I get out I’m going to fucking end you!”
was so perfect.

Sojgat

2251382-specops_thelinetrailer_post.png

Captain Martin Walker - Spec Ops: The Line

Spec Ops might very well be my GOTY, and Walker literally is that game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The funny thing is, in my opinion Lee is interesting due to Clementine and Clementine is interesting due to Lee but I think both of them on their own are not really great characters. Its their relationship that torpedoed them to great status.

I will go as far in saying that Lee without Clem is boring.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Captain Jose "Double Tap" Perez, the sniper from my Classic Ironman run of X-Com. Easily. Quite easily.

BY2K

Membero Americo
1. Lee Everett - The Walking Dead
2. Clementine - The Walking Dead
3. Hades - Kid Icarus: Uprising

I'm surprised that everyone feels so strongly about Lee. Clementine, I understand, because without her, the entire game falls apart, with no purpose. She has her moments of cuteness and cleverness, but mostly, she gets over as what everyone makes fun of the new Lara Croft marketing for: she's someone you would give everything to protect.

That being said, she's not my choice, because even though I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet, and probably won't for a while, I can't see how it can be anyone but Vaas Montenegro for me. I mean, I hate shooters, and haven't played a pure shooter since Gears 2, but I want to play Far Cry 3 because of what I saw of him in the E3 trailer. This is the only time I can think of where a trailer sold me on a game, and it was because of Vaas Montenegro.

1811650-1809913_voss_super.jpg

TrueBlue

For the reasons that have been stated numerous times in this thread. Just an extremely fun character. The fact that she's snarky, hillarious, morally questionable, more or less trolls and abuses Pit... just make her very memorable. She's the best out of a fantastic cast.

It also helps that Ali Hillis does a wonderful job in voicing her, makes every line count, be it serious or comedic. This is especially true in Chapter 18 of Uprising, which is easily the standout gaming moment of the year for me. Just spectacular.

"Everything changes, Pit. EVEN GODS!"

Really hope she's playable in the next Smash Bros.

Runners Up:

The cast of Kid Icarus Uprising (Pit, Hades, Viridi and Pyrrhon specifically) - Every character in this game is memorable and fun, but these are the standouts.

Dunban - Xenoblade Chronicles - That voice. Unf. Also a lot of fun despite playing to an archetype.

Garrus/Mordin/Liara - Mass Effect 3 - My three most used squadmates all enjoyed consistently good development and were involved in many fantastic scenes.

ultron87

Hmm, I forgot about Dunban in Xenoblade. I do love that he does the craziest stuff in cutscenes and doesn't need a magic time sword to do it.

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in loving all those Kid Icarus Uprising characters. I didn't liked the game that much (the game is fine, but the controls are literally painful), but I really enjoyed the light hearted tone of the game. I wish there were more games like that, way too many games takes themselves too seriously these days.

I really liked Haytam from AC3 too, Connor is really bland in comparison.

Jackl

Lee Everett - The Walking Dead

250px-LeeNTL2.JPG

Runner Up: Clementine. They could have gone the Duck route but went with a much more mellow character. Thumbs up.

Honorable mention: Handsome Jack. Just for sheer hilarity. Suffers from lack of creative writing however.

Disclaimer: I've been working 40 hours weekly and going to school all year long. I have had maybe 60 hours to play games. Some notable characters in this thread that I have no clue who they are.

Luigi87

A year with so many great characters...

Kat from Gravity Rush. [Holy hell is she adorable. GRAVITY RUSH 2 WHEN?!]

Zero III [fantastic delivery in the English VA sold me completely], Sigma, Phi, Luna and others from VLR

Dunban in Xenoblade (Hey, it only hit NA this year!)

And these are just the games I've played.

But ultimately, I think I need to give it to Handsome Jack.

He was just such an incredibly written, incredibly acted, well rounded villain. One who could be hilarious, well developed, yet was such an evil bastard you absolutely develop the urge and need to deliver retribution to this mask wearing, egotistical, a-hole.

A character you love that you hate, and hate that you love, Handsome Jack is truly a perfect kind of villain. Absolute surprise for me how simply basing the story around being against Jack, Gearbox severely pulled me into the story of Borderlands 2... Which is something I could not say about the first game narrative wise.

Lee + Clementine - The Walking Dead
Kat - Gravity Rush
Nael Van Darnus - FFXIV (Based on story introduced this year. Few and far between are FF villains that succeed)

ultron87

Haytham from AC3
Garrus from ME3
Corvo from Dishonored

Does Corvo actually do anything as a character at any point in the game? I haven't played that much of it yet, but so far he seems pretty Gordon Freeman-like.

If he's liked solely for a cool character design I can totally understand that too. (Though I'd like it if that design was actually showcased in game.)

JazzmanZ

Man I could gush on about how every single character who has a talking part in Kid icarus Uprising is the Character of the Year, but I'm going to go with Hades.

The dudes Suave as hell, and the Charisma to match Disneys Version, he's also damn downright evil when he wants to be.

MisterHero

I was gonna say I think Wario is the Character of the Decade and I want to make a thread about it, but this thread is about this year only.

I'll pick Heropon Riki. A family man, lives in a tree, and is one of the most destructive characters in Xenoblade. A very underestimatable character. It's an easily cliche'd role but the voice acting puts him over the top.

Zael himself isn't great, but Zael and Calista is treated really well as a pair.

lee-everett.png

100% urban.
Clementine included in my vote, of course.
Wei Shen comes close, though.

EDIT: Handsome Jack was awesome too, yeah. Honorable mention for him.

Denzar

For now I'll go with big, dumb American: Max Payne

mp3pc_redactie_splash.jpg

Still Playing through The Walking Dead, but Clem and Lee seem to be very strong characters.

Lee_Everett.jpg

And last, but not least. Nick from Lollipop Chainsaw.

Lollipop-Chainsaw-Juliet-and-Nick.jpg

Too bad I don't have that Nick keychain.

Yea I can agree w/ Clementine. Kids in games are always so bad! They finally were able to achieve a decent/likeable one.

Also it's the year of putting little boys in games as major key characters...
BYbWn.jpg

Gh1Js.jpg

j98Oj.jpg

Top Bottom