• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is your Character of the Year?

JJDubz

tmGLf.jpg

Wei Shen, motherfucker.

Clem & Lee, too.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm a dad of a four year old girl. It was impossible for Clementine to not make an impression on me. Her and Lee are pretty much 1/2

KevinCow

Banned
It's OK. Other people's opinions sometimes make me upset too. But then I remember that they're their opinions. I don't need to agree with them. Cortana is definitely well-loved, I liked her, didn't love her, thought some of her lines were delivered poorly and some beautifully. I didn't choose her for MY answer. I chose Wei Shen, who apparently some people have a real problem with in this thread. And my response to them is - shhhhhhh be quiet. I'll choose who I want. You choose who you want. When you start a thread asking who the best character in a game was this year (not named Cortana or Wei Shen), I'll be sure to not answer Wei Shen.

So you're just trying to be a dick.

Please point to the "hilarious salt" or "other people's opinions making me upset" in my posts.

Oh wait, there is none. I'm just expressing disagreement and confusion. I am discussing on a discussion board. You're just being an annoying douche for the sake of being an annoying douche because you're a bad poster.

So you're just trying to be a dick.

Please point to the "hilarious salt" or "other people's opinions making me upset" in my posts.

Oh wait, there is none. I'm just expressing disagreement and confusion. I am discussing on a discussion board. You're just being an annoying douche for the sake of being an annoying douche because you're a bad poster.

A bad poster is someone that tells someone else their choice for character of the year is wrong.

This is also a bad poster:

images

UberTag

1) Lee & Clem - The Walking Dead
2) Kat - Gravity Rush
3) Zero III - Virtue's Last Reward

... in that order.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
If we are talking about visual design only, then Aveline from AC3L is my favorite. Her story (or lack of) was disappointing, but dammit if she isn't an awesome looking character.

And like a lot of people have said, the Kid Icarus Uprising cast is ace.

Fredrik

Cortana_H4_Render.png

Halo 4 Cortana for me. Character is over 10 years old but this is probably the first time in the whole series I cared about her and what's happening with her. Jen Taylor(voice actress) fucking knocked it out of the park as usual. Helps that 343 took extreme focus on the facial animations and graphics as well. Just a joy to experience.
Same here.

I have never liked Halo much, I usually don't like first person shooters, but I loved Halo 4 sooo much, from the beginning to the very end. Both Cortana and Master Chief are my characters of the year 2012.

Kouichi

Wow, wasn't expecting my pick in the OP.

Palutena's_Revolting_Dinner_2_3.png

Kid Icarus had such a great cast of characters. Pyrrhon is a close second.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
also, sorry but
tumblr_mckyiisJEN1qkg5m1o2_1280.png

1.397 times cooler and less physically ugly than his son. Intelligent. Calm. Elegant. Brutal. Charming. Cunning. No-nonsense. Brillantly dressed up.

I cried when I started playing Connor

Kazzy

Cain from Binary Domain. He is only introduced about halfway into the campaign, and he pretty much steals the show!

Maybe not my overall pick, but he certainly deserves to be nominated.

KevinCow

Banned
A bad poster is someone that tells someone else their choice for character of the year is wrong.

Notice how I never said they were wrong, I just explained why I disagreed.

God forbid someone express an opinion about someone else's opinion in these threads.

Christ, why aren't you on my ignore list yet?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Underwhelming game. Awesome character. Hell, the cast and the setting can lend up in a good game if they just tried.

tumblr_m476k0i7551rqwhaoo1_500.jpg

CorvoSol

Yeah this let's go with this.

top_bg.jpg

Could Marth look any more like a girl here?
I have no idea if that is actually Marth.

Aaaaanyway, I want to give an honorable shout-out to Dunban. I haven't played much of Xenoblade because I got it before school started, but what I did see of him was downright awesome.

Why can't we ever play as the grown up badass womanizing guy in JRPGs? It's always gotta be the starry eyed youth.

ButtStallion.png

Honorable mention to Wei Shen.

Is that from Scribblenauts Unlimited? Is he there by default or did you have to create a Crystal Horse and rename it?

Out of the games I played this year it probably Lee. If only for his really grounded nature in a horrific situation. Its much the same reason I love John Marston as much as I do.

Honorable mention goes to Garrus for becoming the greatest video game ever. I don't think I would have appreciated him as much if he been a new introduction to the series this year, but it was definitely ME3 where he became really awesome.

Loona

Mila from Dead or Alive 5

After the reputation the series gathered over the years the devs take a step back and manage to include a character whose looks aren't completely based around fanservice, who isn't supposed to be a super special canon sue ninja, who dresses reasonably for what she does, holds a job, is actually depicted training at a gym (this is surprisingly rare in fighting games for some reason), admires someone she hopes to meet and manages to measure up reasonably against the existing cast.
For what DoA has accustomed me to, she's surprisingly human and down to earth, so I'm glad she's there.
She's not entirely immune from some series issues, but at least practically all if those, namely DLC outfits like bikinis, seem to be hand-me-downs from the other girls...

The series and genre are better off with her around.

Neiteio

Lee and Clem are great (Walking Dead)... So is Mr. Scratch (American Nightmare)... And Wei Shen (Sleeping Dogs)... And Salty Crab (Sleeping Dogs)... And Parker Luciani (RER)... And Sherry Birkin (RE6)... I loved them all.

But this year's true winner is HADES from Kid Icarus Uprising. That whole game had writing, voice acting and comedic timing on par with or better than the Portal series.

Simply amazing. Best cast in a Nintendo game and possibly any game ever, and Hades is the star of the show.

2178034-hadesrenderw.png

Loona said:
Mila from Dead or Alive 5

After the reputation the series gathered over the years the devs take a step back and manage to include a character whose looks aren't completely based around fanservice, who isn't supposed to be a super special canon sue ninja, who dresses reasonably for what she does, holds a job, is actually depicted training at a gym (this is surprisingly rare in fighting games for some reason), admires someone she hopes to meet and manages to measure up reasonably against the existing cast.

For what DoA has accustomed me to, she's surprisingly human and down to earth, so I'm glad she's there. She's not entirely immune from some series issues, but at least practically all if those, namely DLC outfits like bikinis, seem to be hand-me-downs from the other girls...

The series and genre are better off with her around.
Easy on the eyes, too:

ALBUMML14I0926006028144.jpg

ALBUMML14I1509006028144.jpg

Elza.jpg

I haven't played many games with new characters this year, but I really liked him, and I really liked his game. He may not be as fleshed out as others - still a JRPG character, after all, but I enjoyed how he just barely dodged some tropes. At the end for example, despite his hesitation, he was still willing to do what needed to be done. Other characters would have been different, I think.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Haven't play the game yet but from what i've heard it could be this guy.

far-cry-3-savages-vaas-midtcm2565303.jpg

I haven't played the game yet but I'm getting some mad corny vibes from this character. The mohawk and the eyescar. Look out, he's such a wild and crazy guy...shit's goofy yo.

My character(s) of the year are my XCOM squad. Losing a key operative is like a punch to the gut, they're faceless custom characters but you it's hard not to grow attached to them.

Also: Big Bo from Binary Domain.

373459_184799301614934_1641293110_n.jpg

James Vega

J/K it's Lee from Walking Dead

I hated James Vega before I played the game. Based on the trailers he seemed like a dumb, cliched brodude. Then I played the game and he was one of my favorite squadmates from the game.

Though to be fair, the selection of squadmates in 3 was weaker than the previous game's.

Neiteio

Oh, and while Hades, Wei Shen, Lee and Clem, Mr. Scratch, etc, are the real best characters of the year, Elesa from B2W2 has to be the most FABULOUS:

PKMN-Elesa01BW2.png

PKMN-Elesa02BW2.jpg

PKMN-Elesa03BW2.jpg

PKMN-Elesa04BW2.png

tumblr_m43n9rhZVS1qe9j8vo1_500.gif

tumblr_mbro399DB61r2k1m8.gif

Phenomic

Thinking about this one and there'e still some time left in the year to finish some of the stuff I didn't play but.... nevertheless some responses to the more common suggestions and my pick.

Kat really was a breath of fresh air and someone who wasn't all about violence and guns and guns and more guns. Just wanted to do what was right for the city and the protect the people. It's still to this day the only game I've ever gotten 100% of the trophies in.
Hands down unless I think of something else or play something better....she should win new Character of the Year.

Haytem was pretty cool but he seemed like kind of a missed opportunity in my eyes with how it ended up being by the end of the game. I think the ones that finished will understand what I mean by this hopefully because I don't want to spoil it.

Connor wasn't bad and I enjoyed the ride, but didn't capture me as much as Ezio did at the end of AC2 in terms of growth and triumph.

Got about half way through Kid Icarus and while Palutena and Pit are really well done the game just didn't capture me and I stopped.

*Edit* Okay I missed Jake and Sherry... For what it's worth (even if there game play portions were considered weak by many) I think they made RE6 into a game that I don't completely regret existing. Waited for so many years to finally figure out what happened to her and left wanting more about how she came this far. Was pleasantly surprised with how Jake's character went and the fact they didn't take the route I thought they were going to take. Small thing during their campaigns ending sums it up for me pretty well.

CorvoSol

THIS WAS LAST YEAR BUT I ONLY PLAYED IT THIS YEAR:

This is Cid Aulstyne. I have never actually hated a Final Fantasy villain the way I have this man. Maybe it's because the war is a lot more graphic this time around, maybe it's because he's more blatantly Hitler than most video game Hitlers, maybe it's because he sits in his goddamn palace while people are dying in horrible, gut-wrenching ways in far-off lands because of a war he started, I dunno. The point is, Cid Aulstyne is a despicable, horrifying, monstrous human being well before
he physically becomes one
. He's a compelling villain, or at least was for me, and
even though the battle against him is unloseable
finally shoving a deck of cards down his throat was the greatest of pleasures.

This is
L'Cie
Celestia. She's compelling because her allegiance is never really all that cut and dry. She very clearly detests her superiors at some points, but is a very My Country Right or Wrong kinda way. Think of her as Type-0's Beatrix, except she doesn't fall in love with your Steiner. Point is, of all the
L'Cie
in the game, she is definitely the most well-developed. Sorry Magius.

So Ace is the face of Class Zero, and I legit loved those guys by game's end. Ace is especially loveable to me, because he kinda acts as the FF Classic Hero to Machina's FF Modern Hero. Ace is, excluding Machina and Rem, likely also the most developed member of the class. He likes Chocobos and
turns his back on Izana as he dies a piteous death in the streets.
. Also, Ace's cards ruin enemies' souls. Freaking does this spinning move that literally slices Behemoths HP bars by an entire bar at a time at upper levels.

Type-0, incidentally, was the best Final Fantasy XIII.

nib95

Banned
Cortana_H4_Render.png

Halo 4 Cortana for me. Character is over 10 years old but this is probably the first time in the whole series I cared about her and what's happening with her. Jen Taylor(voice actress) fucking knocked it out of the park as usual. Helps that 343 took extreme focus on the facial animations and graphics as well. Just a joy to experience.

Came in to say this. Quite liked Hayhtham from AC3 as well, but Cortana takes it. Felt like a fresh, emotional and powerful take on an old character.

Top Bottom