• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is your Character of the Year?

OP wins for picking a Kid Icarus Uprising character, but fails for picking the wrong Goddess

200px-Viridi_artwork.png

Best Goddess
Best Character in the game
Best Character of the year

Kat's a close 2nd

CorvoSol

Me from Dishonored.

I mean Corvo whatshisface.

I'm so honored.

I haven't played many new games this year, so I'll go with this from the limited selection I have:

Where Zael, Calista, and Ganondorf were fairly flat if inoffensive characters in The Last Story, it's supporting cast was wonderful, and for none was this truer than Syrenne. AKA as the most amusing, lovable drunk this side of Sir Jecht.

Cortana_H4_Render.png

Halo 4 Cortana for me. Character is over 10 years old but this is probably the first time in the whole series I cared about her and what's happening with her. Jen Taylor(voice actress) fucking knocked it out of the park as usual. Helps that 343 took extreme focus on the facial animations and graphics as well. Just a joy to experience.

This.

Amazing performance.

KevinCow

Banned
Any character that inspires this much hilarious salt is definitely a candidate for character of the year.

I can't tell if you're actually trying to say something here, or if you're just trying to be a dick.

I haven't really been following the community's response to the game at all because Halo-GAF is a frightening and insular group, but I'm honestly surprised to see multiple people mentioning a character who I thought was particularly terrible. It's like if there was a Best Game Ever thread, and several people came in and legitimately, unironically voted for Cheetahmen 2.

Andrew J.

Phi from Virtue's Last Reward. Smart and logical without being an emotionless robot, snarky without being too mean, not fanservicey, very independent. Plus she
fucking hit Dio in the back of the head with a 30 foot dropkick!

TWILT

Banned
Hades from Kid Icarus
Dunban (prolly my main pick) and Melia from Xenoblade.
Labrys from Persona 4 Arena
Hanako from Katawa Shoujo

WedgeX

Banned
I'm going the Time Magazine route.

Character of the year is DayZ's Survivor.

iBpepP7FLBDUE.bmp

Desperate. Greedy. Mistrustful. Loyal. An endless gatherer. A hero but more often a murderer. Hunted by all. An early life expectancy of about forty minutes.

imYoCD33UX5bA.bmp

Parker from Resident Evil Revelations.

Not even joking. He's the only character from any game this year that I remember. I loved his two dimensional self.

I'm definitely going with this guy, such a messed up, but interesting character that slowly goes mad, and as a player you sense every single beat of his madness while playing the game.

Captain Martin Walker (Spec Ops: The Line) Voiced by (who else?) Nolan North.

b8972e7942da183cc5fa38c6cc75561e88de0bc6.jpg__620x348_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

I loved Walker as a character. Great stuff.

Makes me regret not getting all of the intel.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I still haven't played VLR (it arrived today with the mail) so I'll nominate him

video_994.jpg

every single KIU character is superbly written with strong, unique personalities, but Pit takes the cake

Mr. Fix

I can only vouch for Handsome Jack. Hopefully I'll be able to play Kid Icarus uprising before the year ends though.

dreamfall

No love for Payne?! This guy- manages to fuck everything up. A reformed alcoholic, trying to save those with no hope. Self deprecating, everything floating by in some hazy splendor.

ibrmHWD3B1cLaA.jpg

Clemetine- don't lie to her! She's too perfect. Endearing, inquisitive, wonderful.

ilvZqlxq2uZfE.jpg

I liked Lugo's character from Spec Ops a bit more than Walker and would go for him for character of the year. He starts off looking like a standard comical relief sociopath and then shows real emotions and then the story happens...

Syril

All of the characters from Kid Icarus Uprising are great, but I'm going to go with Pit himself. In being the butt of everyone else's jokes, he sets up a lot of their best lines, and he's still a kickass fighter and a true hero in the way he constantly steps up to the task without a moment's hesitation when all seems lost. And he's got some great lines himself, like his pure joy every time he finds a hot spring.

I really like Handsome Jack and Cortana (especially because they actually turned her into a character). Haven't had a chance to play many RPGs this year, though.

I liked Lugo's character from Spec Ops a bit more than Walker and would go for him for character of the year. He starts off looking like a standard comical relief sociopath and then shows real emotions and then the story happens...

Lugo was awesome. I liked him more than the other dude.

...Damn, I forgot his name. That's a bad sign.

I can't tell if you're actually trying to say something here, or if you're just trying to be a dick.

It's OK. Other people's opinions sometimes make me upset too. But then I remember that they're their opinions. I don't need to agree with them. Cortana is definitely well-loved, I liked her, didn't love her, thought some of her lines were delivered poorly and some beautifully. I didn't choose her for MY answer. I chose Wei Shen, who apparently some people have a real problem with in this thread. And my response to them is - shhhhhhh be quiet. I'll choose who I want. You choose who you want. When you start a thread asking who the best character in a game was this year (not named Cortana or Wei Shen), I'll be sure to not answer Wei Shen.

Oh this is super easy. I have two. The characters of the year are easily Zero III from Virtue's Last Reward (it could honestly be any character from this game!) and Kat from Gravity Rush:

HT3wJ.jpg
OmjRC.jpg

Kat is adorable/lovable and Zero III is the funniest character to come out of videogames in ages. He’s a riot with voice acting perfection. Have a look.

r7FvY.jpg

Runner up: Dan from Binary Domain.

Top Bottom