• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will buy Zelda BOTW WiiU ?

What system are you buying Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dug

Banned
Zelda is the only launch title I'm interested in so yeah I'm gonna get it for the console I already have.

marmoka

Banned
Probably me too.

I'm considering to get Switch by holiday with Mario. So better play it on Wii U, with my glorious pro-controller.

WiiU will massively drop in price, has Pokken, Splatoon, Fatal Frame V (which will likely never get ported to Switch), Breath of the Wild and free online.

So I definitely will be getting a cheap, likely used WiiU and play BotW on it. I can deal with playing it at 720p rather than 900p (hilarious that it's not even going to be 1080p docked). Looking at the development circles of main Zelda games, it might well turn out to be the only mainline game that is releasing on the Switch so I'm not really missing out I think.

SeanIfOnly

Neo Member
Despite a shaky presentation I plan on getting Switch year one (between Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario in 2017) I will be getting it on the Switch.

HotHamBoy

Nope, I don't have much faith that the Wii-U version will run at a consistent framerate.

Uh... i don't have faith that the Switch version will, either. That trailer looked like 20 fps.

I'm buying Zelda Wii U. I already have a Wii U and I've been waiting three years to play this damn game and I'm sure as hell not spending another $300 on a system with a thin 2017 release calendar.

Do we even know the differences between the two versions?

Wasn't the GameCube version of Twilight Princess superior?

Only as far as there was no waggle. They had mirrored dungeons. That was it.

Based on the Switch games we saw today, I don't expect BotW to perform much better on Switch at all.

udivision

If I buy the Wii U version, I won't have to buy a Switch until 20818 or beyond.

Hmm... maybe it depends on how badly it runs.

I'll buy a Switch day one, but I'm wondering which version of the game to get. Do we know how the gamepad will be used?

Really, I just like having the map there. Changing items without stopping the game is a plus too.

IrishNinja

see i was worried this'd be like TP again (where the GC version was clearly superior) but hearing that it doesn't seem to use tablet controls much, switch all the way for me - it's pretty much this + bomberman at launch

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I will get it on the Wii U. I bought the Wii U for this game. Didn't think at that time they would delay it for next-gen. Nothing at the moment suggests getting Switch at launch sadly, maybe competitive pricing in the future.

KHlover

Banned
see i was worried this'd be like TP again (where the GC version was clearly superior) but hearing that it doesn't seem to use tablet controls much, switch all the way for me - it's pretty much this + bomberman at launch

That's where I'm at as well.

MUnited83

For you.
Does this work with this wii u emulator if I have a disk drive ?

Would buy a copy if so.
(also kinda off topic but I have a copy of wind waker, can I play this on the emu?)
You need to dump the game with a Wii U first to be able to play it on a emulator.

Anyone who has a Wii U and isn't (or can not?) getting a switch at launch is a potential answer here. Add in collectors too because the Wii U version won't exactly be getting a massive print run.

So yes I will get it. I know it is a bigger technical gap than Twilight Princess was (both Gamecube and Wii versions ran at 640x480 but the latter could be 16:9) but I've played wait and see when it comes to systems for well over a decade now (Gamecube was my last launch title) and the switch presentation has not changed my mind rather entrenched me.

Wanderer5

Meh don't know. I planning to not get the Switch till probably closer to the holidays at the earliest, but I would likely get through the game the most via portable with the switch, since I feel like I been drifting away from console playtime to portable/PC mostly, and thus might sell my WiiU also.

gappvembe

I'll buy both. Not getting into the Twilight Princess thing again where, I kinda want to play it again, but with a controller. Buy it. Not play it. Buy the remaster, it's still in the box LOL 😂

If it doesn't run like dogshit, then I probably will. $60 is a hell of a lot more attractive than $370, and frees up the other $310 for games that I want to buy this year.

azyless

I'll wait to see how it runs first. But I doubt I'll get a Switch unless it gets to 200€ somewhere down the line so... I'll either play it on Wii U or in a few years or not at all.

KraytarJ

I might, considering it'll be like $580 CAD after taxes for just a switch, pro controller, and Zelda with nothing else I care about coming out until Splatoon 2. The Switch might just have to wait for my birthday tbh, which I honestly was not expecting coming into tonight.

HotHamBoy

Meh don't know. I planning to not get the Switch till probably closer to the holidays, but I would likely get through the game the most via portable with the switch, since I feel like I been drifting away from console playtime to portable/PC mostly, and thus might sell my WiiU also.

Today convinced me that I will have to hold on to my Wii U.

I have Smash and MK8 with a TON of controllers I can use for both. Won't be so with Switch.

Plus Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 1 and 2, SM3DW, NSMBU, a bunch if stuff on vWii side.... VC stuff galore that I'm not buying again.

Sigh.

If it doesn't run like dogshit, then I probably will. $60 is a hell of a lot more attractive than $370, and frees up the other $310 for games that I want to buy this year.

Nintendo did absolutely nothing to divert money from the upcoming PS4 games I want.

Will wait for analysis on frame rates etc.

But will probably buy on Wii U, since the Switch is around 100 € too expensive for what it delivers at the moment.

Greddleok

I plan to get the WiiU version, I don't think I'll get a Switch, or I won't get a Switch for a year or so.

That said, I need to hear how it runs.

Also what I would like to know, does the WiiU version make use of the extra screen on the gamepad? If yes then that's another thing to consider compared to the Switch version.

HotHamBoy

I've never played a Wii U, so I'm thinking now is the time to buy one on the cheap.

It's worth it for the right price:

Smash 4
MK8
Pikmin 3
Zelda WindWaker
DKC Tropical Freeze
Captain Toad
Bayonetta1 and 2
Freedom Planet
Affordable Space Adventures
Hyrule Warriors
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
NSMBU
SM3DW
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Pokken Tournament
Zelds BotW
GBA and DS VC
And more...

Yeah, it's a good library.

definitely. the event today unsold me on switch

I went from "finger hovering over F5 on amazon" to "picardfacepalm.jpg"

AmyS

Also what I would like to know, does the WiiU version make use of the extra screen on the gamepad? If yes then that's another thing to consider compared to the Switch version.

Nope, AFAIK, it doesn't, other than the map. But someone should correct me if that isn't true. I thought that Nintendo decided to remove any elements that really made use of the GamePad.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-doesnt-require-the-wii-us/1100-6440877/

Top Bottom