• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Activison put a Sierra website up?

mo60

Some things I found in the code:
  • PSN, XBOX, Others, profile.network, profile.ghosts, profile.ghostsSeasonPass (???
  • Preorders
  • Retailer selectors
  • Code for Countdowns
  • Age checkers for > 18 years old
  • 20 languages support
  • Code to send data to: 'score card research DOT com/p?c1=2&c2=14880931' that is marked as spam/malware/virus in WOT.
  • Discussion pagination
  • Image gallery

It's an activision storefront where you can buy and preorder ps4, xbox one and probably ps3 and 360 games on your PC and download these games onto your console. The games that will be buyable on this service are all activision published.That pretty much explains everything in that info you found, but the things that may destroy this theory are the image gallery part in the code,discussion pagination and the retailer selector.

furious

Banned
http://sierra.com/etc/designs/atvi/sierra/scripts/main.js (scroll to the bottom)

Code:
/******************************************************************************************

__     __                __                                         __   
|  |--.|__|.-----..-----.|  |.-----.    .-----..--.--..-----..-----.|  |_ 
|    < |  ||     ||  _  | |_||__ --|    |  _  ||  |  ||  -__||__ --||   _|
|__|__||__||__|__||___  |    |_____|    |__   ||_____||_____||_____||____|
                  |_____|                  |__|                           

__                                                  
.-----..-----..-----..--------..-----.|  |_ .----..--.--.    .--.--.--..---.-..----..-----.
|  _  ||  -__||  _  ||        ||  -__||   _||   _||  |  |    |  |  |  ||  _  ||   _||__ --|
|___  ||_____||_____||__|__|__||_____||____||__|  |___  |    |________||___._||__|  |_____|
|_____|                                           |_____|                                  

__  __  __ 
|__||__||__|

******************************************************************************************/

Mobile Friendly Image

Xater

I'm gonna say it's going to be adventure game related because why else would you do it during Gamescom?

Dibbs

caesar3.jpg

Wiktor

It will be interesting, especially considering how many big Sierra IP Activision actually sold in recent years

Takao

Banned
  • PSN, XBOX, Others, profile.network, profile.ghosts, profile.ghostsSeasonPass (???
  • Preorders
  • Retailer selectors
  • Code for Countdowns
  • 20 languages support
  • Code to send data to: 'score card research DOT com/p?c1=2&c2=14880931' that is marked as spam/malware/virus in WOT.
  • Discussion pagination
  • Image gallery

That first line (potentially others) is probably copied from a CoD site.

GeneralArrow

Neo Member
What's happening in here? An excuse to post a legendary box art? Alright!

iL1hmk7wIr5od.jpg

Didn't we just get confirmation of Source 2 a few days ago and now this? Maybe what took Valve so long was looking for a suitable 3rd party publisher? Or am I crazy?

Rocky

Banned
WIthout the original creators, any new games they try to make in classic Sierra series will suck. King's Quest without Roberta Williams? Space Quest without the Two Guys from Andromeda? LSL without Al Lowe? Quest for Glory without the Coles? No thanks.

We've already seen what happens when they try to reboot those series without the original creator's input in that awful LSL reboot a while back.

jimi_dini

We've already seen what happens when they try to reboot those series without the original creator's input in that awful LSL reboot a while back.

Ehh Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded was actually done with Al Lowe.

If you mean those other 2 or 3 Larry games prior that, yes I agree. *shudder*

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
...huh, weird.

I can't imagine why Activision would want to revive that brand instead of promoting their own name. I'll be curious to see what comes out of it from Gamescom though.

http://sierra.com/etc/designs/atvi/sierra/scripts/main.js (scroll to the bottom)

Code:
/******************************************************************************************

__     __                __                                         __   
|  |--.|__|.-----..-----.|  |.-----.    .-----..--.--..-----..-----.|  |_ 
|    < |  ||     ||  _  | |_||__ --|    |  _  ||  |  ||  -__||__ --||   _|
|__|__||__||__|__||___  |    |_____|    |__   ||_____||_____||_____||____|
                  |_____|                  |__|                           

__                                                  
.-----..-----..-----..--------..-----.|  |_ .----..--.--.    .--.--.--..---.-..----..-----.
|  _  ||  -__||  _  ||        ||  -__||   _||   _||  |  |    |  |  |  ||  _  ||   _||__ --|
|___  ||_____||_____||__|__|__||_____||____||__|  |___  |    |________||___._||__|  |_____|
|_____|                                           |_____|                                  

__  __  __ 
|__||__||__|

******************************************************************************************/

Mobile Friendly Image

King's Quest and Geometry Wars...

So a remake and a re-release?

DieH@rd

Banned
  • Preorders
  • Retailer selectors
  • Code for Countdowns
  • 20 languages support
  • Discussion pagination
  • Image gallery

Whatthefuck.gif

I have no idea what to think of any of this...but I'm excited

Easy. Activision has resurrected the Sierra name to use it as a store client for their old and new games. Same as EA revived Origin name.

I have zero idea what this might be.

New brand for small / retro games?
Activision run PC digital distribution platform?
Someone bought the URL from under Activisions nose and is just fooling around?

I am interested.

Ushiwaka

The revival of classic Sierra titles in HD would make me scream in happiness. New adventure games from them would also be awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
WIthout the original creators, any new games they try to make in classic Sierra series will suck. King's Quest without Roberta Williams? Space Quest without the Two Guys from Andromeda? LSL without Al Lowe? Quest for Glory without the Coles? No thanks.

To be fair, it's not like the Two Guys and the Coles have finished their Kickstarter games. Although if Activision were smart, they'd just offer to publish them and say they're part of the new Sierra or something.

Al Lowe had a falling out with the people who did the LSL1 remake, so I assume that's dead.

And I guess the Telltale King's Quest game is dead too.

Rocky

Banned
Ehh Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded was actually done with Al Lowe.

If you mean those other 2 or 3 Larry games prior that, yes I agree. *shudder*

Of course I wasn't talking about reloaded, and yes I was talking about those awful Cum Laude games.

To be fair, it's not like the Two Guys and the Coles have finished their Kickstarter games. Although if Activision were smart, they'd just offer to publish them and say they're part of the new Sierra or something.

Al Lowe had a falling out with the people who did the LSL1 remake, so I assume that's dead.

And I guess the Telltale King's Quest game is dead too.

It wasn't really a falling out, Al Lowe left Replay when their President was convicted of a sex scandal. LSL reloaded was released and is available now. I have it on my PC.

ArjanN

Cautiously interested, just hoping it's not Activision's version of something like Origin.

Aside from the obvious likelyhood of it being Sierra in name only.

Twinduct

• Preorders
  • Retailer selectors
  • Code for Countdowns
  • 20 languages support
  • Discussion pagination
  • Image gallery

Assume that's just part of the template they use and not really a hint at anything yet.

jgminto

I'm not sure how interested I'd be in ports to non-PC platforms if that's what they're doing since so much of their catalogue is on GOG but I'd totally double dip for Phantasmagoria 2 on handhelds/mobile or a remaster since it's the best adventure/FMV game to come out of Sierra.

Top Bottom