• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do evil corporations allways hold fighting tournaments?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
More importantly, why do they keep inviting the people that are trying to destroy said evil company to the tournament. I can just see the invites being sent out by DOATEC. "Hey, be sure and invite that ninja clan thats trying to destroy us".

Virtua Fighter.
Street Fighter.
Dead or Alive.
Tekken.

Look, I know the stories all are shit, but someone please come up with a better excuse for a bunch of wierd people to fight each other. A tournament makes sense, dont get me wrong. But then they all have to throw in the EVIL CORPORATION that is hosting it.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Is this a rhetorical question?

karasu

They should 86 the stories altogether. It's a tournament, nothing more. Give some background info on the characters and be done with it.

Because everyone loves Enter the Dragon. That's why. MK, while not having an evil corporation sponsoring the tourney, has bad guys in charge, too.

SKOPE

If you were evil, and were going to take over the world, but before you took over the world you hosted a martial arts tournament, would you decide to not take over the world if you lost?

Ponn

Banned
I think the real question is why aren't real life corporations doing that now?

"WELCOME! To Microsoft Kombat!!"

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
(time to pull out an oldie but goodie)

Well, think about it. If you're in control of a tournament for your evil corporation, organization, business or company, and a clan of honor bound ninja's is trying to take you out. Why not invite them to the tournie?

1. If they are defeated/killed - so much the better
2. If they win the tournament, so what? it's just a tournament, and maybe you thinned out the ranks a bit when they had to fight eachother.
3. If they win, maybe the prize money will turn them against one another.
4. There's always the next tournament.

G-Fex

Usually it's not a corperation or organization but one individual that hosts the King of Fighters tournament, most of the time though the individual is a evil god like fighter who just wants to kill the champion. See NESTS and Igniz.

Anyanka

The King of Iron Fist Tournament in Tekken is usually used by the bad guy to lure out whoever Heihachi or the current owner needs. Ogre was the god of fight and was in search of strong souls. Heihachi wanted to capture him. What better way to get him out into the open than the tournament? In Tekken 4 Heihachi needed Kazuya and Jin's DNA. Again the tournament was a sure way to fight them. In Tekken 5 Jinpachi WANTS to be defeated so he hosts the tournament hoping someone is strong enough to stop him.

Don't you ever talk in a negative light about the Mishima Conglomorate/Zaibatsu again. The world does not start and stop at your convinience, you miserable piece of shit. You're entering a world of pain.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
If I owned a corporation and had both the time and money to sponsor the world's greatest fighting tournament I sure would. You know how fucking awesome it is to have your own fighting tournament? Any crazy story brought up at a party will be ignored by the mere fact that you have your own fighting tournament. I'd dress up like Bison and everything, and I'd make myself the tournament master as well. Not only would you have your own fighting tournament but now you're the fucking final boss of it. It's like the combined wet dream of a billion videogame playing children.

Sho Nuff

Banned
How come there aren't fighting tournaments where people from ALL the different crazy styles show up? I mean there's UFC and Pride, but that's just basically BJJ and some really strong strikers.

I want a tournament with the BJJ people, PLUS crazy spinny Capoeira dudes, fat ass Aikido masters, people from Ninjitsu dojos, Jeet Kune Do freaks, etc etc.

BTW, I nominate that the DeBeers syndicate create their own fighting tourney

SKOPE

Anyanka said:
The King of Iron Fist Tournament in Tekken is usually used by the bad guy to lure out whoever Heihachi or the current owner needs.
So you're saying Tekken was inspired by Disney's Robin Hood?

TekunoRobby said:
If I owned a corporation and had both the time and money to sponsor the world's greatest fighting tournament I sure would. You know how fucking awesome it is to have your own fighting tournament? Any crazy story brought up at a party will be ignored by the mere fact that you have your own fighting tournament. I'd dress up like Bison and everything, and I'd make myself the tournament master as well. Not only would you have your own fighting tournament but now you're the fucking final boss of it. It's like the combined wet dream of a billion videogame playing children.

...and demi would be Cammy! God knows he has the legs for it! :D

<nu>faust

TekunoRobby said:
i feel you and i have always dreamt of such an orgasmic experience but the thing is i feel like in today's evil fighting tournament world(just like today's art world) it feels everything has been done before and there is not much real innovation or soul.....f'ing post-modernism.
I mean we have seen pandas tag teamin 15 year old japanese highschoolers,indian shamans with enlarging body parts vs countless mysterious prettyboy/rich kids from all around the world (who will prove their dads wrong one day), gazillions of ninjas whose clans were wiped out by the evil corps head hancho(i'd suspect ballmer if it was me but ff esque finale might reveal that it was all sissy looking but really evil bill ) vs i'm fat and huge but my regular punch is twice as powerful as your two times clockwise semi circle fireball types.....i mean can anyone really say(or setup an evil fighting tournament) that hasn't been said or done before???

demi

TekunoRobby said:
I'd dress up like Bison and everything, and I'd make myself the tournament master as well.

:lol :lol

You would not make a good Bison.

krypt0nian said:
...and demi would be Cammy! God knows he has the legs for it!

mad.gif

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Sho Nuff said:
How come there aren't fighting tournaments where people from ALL the different crazy styles show up? I mean there's UFC and Pride, but that's just basically BJJ and some really strong strikers.

I want a tournament with the BJJ people, PLUS crazy spinny Capoeira dudes, fat ass Aikido masters, people from Ninjitsu dojos, Jeet Kune Do freaks, etc etc.

That was the goal of Pride, in addition to making money. But That might be the closest you will get to what you are describing. I think the issue is that most fighters found out to compete in Pride you pretty much need to be versed in everything, making all the fighters seem to be using the same style.

Top Bottom