• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do we care so much about what female superheroes wear, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also anyone seriously trying to argue men are as equally objectified in comics, call me when they regularly appear and fight in outfits like this

MN8jf6l.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbUpGoOjFWw

OuO

happypup

I will turn this around on you and show me a fat superhero (joke movies/comics aside), a short superhero or an ugly superhero.

I'm fully on board with the "give female superheroes better outfits." But to pretend that the males are not objectified as well is nonsense too, they're all buff, attractive and often succesful men. That too is objectification.

Deadpool.face_.jpg

deadpool (maybe a stretch but he is ugly)

tumblr_l7o7p8HZdl1qc3cn4.jpg

wolverine 5'3"

I would put Big Bertha on here, but she is probably a joke character.

CryptiK

I like the old argument You wouldnt go into war wearing a leotard WOULD YOU!. No by I wouldnt go to war in fucking tights either.

Abounder

Banned
Comic books and superheroes are basically the WWE wrestlers of the media genres. Sure there are near-naked guys in leotards but even in wrestling men can cover up more and have more freedom to express themselves, whereas women....not so much.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rob Liefeld has set back the art of drawing women a decade.

My favourite female superhero costume is Captain Marvel's (even though I don't read the title):

I personally don't think the design is overtly sexual. It's actually more militarized than anything. Characters like Catwoman, it makes sense for their costumes to be more...

Lithe?

See male or female that is just a badass fucking costume

StayDead

Comic books and superheroes are basically the WWE wrestlers of the media genres. Sure there are near-naked guys in leotards but even in wrestling men can cover up more and have more freedom to express themselves, whereas women....not so much.

You can't really make that comparison because wrestling is performed by real people. Infact if anything it supports the idea of female superheroes the way they are now, because the women in wrestling choose to sign up to do it, they're not forced into it and the majority of them all enjoy what they do, despite wearing crazy sexy clothes.

Finaika

I've seen costumes more overtly sexual come from the fashion industry than anything I've seen in games and that's a medium entirely aimed at the female market. Infact, just look at the clothes the vast majority of women wear outside in the summer. It's not the outfits that make something sexy, it's the person that's sexy and someone being sexy or open about their sexuality is not a bad thing.

The difference is that women wear sexy clothes in real life to boost their confidence, not for titillation. Women wear skimpy clothes in comics for the sole purpose of arousing the male readers.

StayDead

The difference is that women wear sexy clothes in real life to boost their confidence, not for titillation. Women wear skimpy clothes in comics for the sole purpose of arousing the male readers.

Why is that a problem? Also one thing you'll notice about all female superheroes who wear these costumes is their characters are most of the time extremely confident in their own ability. Just because the purpose of that characters appearance was made for a specific audience doesn't change the fact their character is what it is.

Also there's plenty of women in real life who dress sexy to arouse men/other women. Attraction is part of human nature and there's very little wrong with targetting that attraction through various means.

Abounder

Banned
You can't really make that comparison because wrestling is performed by real people. Infact if anything it supports the idea of female superheroes the way they are now, because the women in wrestling choose to sign up to do it, they're not forced into it and the majority of them all enjoy what they do, despite wearing crazy sexy clothes.

I disagree because wrestling and comic books share similar issues such as embracing fewer female types and basically forcing female characters to look more like cheerleaders instead of fighters. Sure some women will embrace it, and there are even exceptions like Chyna, but that doesn't mean you're not shutting out body types and character concepts that would be stars on the other sex (such as Mick Foley), etc

SRG01

Was this the original comic? Because it makes way more sense than the comic version, that I saw quite a few times before.

The original can be found in a link in the OP's article. I like the original better because it really does highlight the difference in male and female power fantasies.

Ephidel

I will turn this around on you and show me a fat superhero (joke movies/comics aside), a short superhero or an ugly superhero.

I'm fully on board with the "give female superheroes better outfits." But to pretend that the males are not objectified as well is nonsense too, they're all buff, attractive and often succesful men. That too is objectification.

Well for fat male superheroes you have Nelson Jent from Dial H and Chuck Taine/Bouncing Boy from LoSH. Open-Window Man in Dial H was kind of large too.
For fat female superheroes you have Faith/Zephyr from Valiant's Harbinger series.

For short heroes, Wolvie is meant to be short. And I suppose there's Puck. And, uh, Gates (though he's an alien). Umm, Ant-Man and Wasp can become short...
Okay, ... I've got nuthin' :(
We need more Jubilees and less Psylockes/Power Girls. Basically.
Current Psylocke's costume is pretty good actually.
As she is in X-Men:
As she is in X-Force:

ReiGun

We need more Jubilees and less Psylockes/Power Girls. Basically.

And we're getting them; I refer you to my post on the previous page.

The problem is there are still a few holdouts among the more popular characters. Power Girl's boob window, while not a big deal to me personally, should be covered; Wonder Woman's costume should look more like armor; Harley should go back to looking more like a jester and less like...whatever she looks like now.

Though I think diversity in comics is great, I'm opposed to censorship regardless of whether it's the left or right.

I couldn't image telling artists what is and isn't acceptable to create, or telling grown adults that they should be forbidden from titillation in a niche medium.

Why is he 6'3 in the movies?

For the ladies, they seem to love him. You'll never see a short, ugly wolverine in the movies.

The Technomancer

Though I think diversity in comics is great, I'm opposed to censorship regardless of whether it's the left or right.

I couldn't image telling artists what is and isn't acceptable to create, or telling grown adults that they should be forbidden from titillation in a niche medium.

Comics don't have to be niche. They didn't used to be, the characters they depict are increasingly not, and comic art in general is still universally popular (by which I mean newspaper comics, webcomics, manga, and just general cartoons and illustration are still very much things people care about)

In particular if in the next decade or so I have a daughter and she expresses an interest in superheroes and comics (two things that are not unlikely) I'd like it if it was easier to find comics that aren't sending the message to a seven year old that women are primarily there to look sexy for the (invisible) camera.

I like scantly clad comic book and fantasy women. I guess I'm part of the problem!

This has already been said in this thread multiple times, but there's nothing wrong with liking sexily dressed fantasy woman. It's just a problem when an entire genre is nearly completely full of them.

Kyuur

Jojo's transcends all trends. Straight male here and I always wanted to be a gangster superstar but my punch ghost never manifested itself.

0Nbaq5D.png

I like this comic edit way too much.

This has been said already in this thread, but there's nothing wrong with liking sexily dressed fantasy woman. It's just a problem when an entire genre is nearly completely full of them.

Yes, damn the industry for catering to their fanbase. There is clearly money if you change what you have been doing for years to make the bulk of your revenue! Trust me!

There are tons of artists that work in the medium, some that are more progressive than others when it comes to this. They will expand if people support them. It is not a problem, there is clearly no magical entity preventing people from making comics without scantily clad women (see examples in this thread). It's just what a majority of the people like to buy.

The Technomancer

Yes, damn the industry for catering to their fanbase. There is clearly money if you change what you have been doing for years to make the bulk of your revenue! Trust me!

They already changed their fanbase and the result was an enormous market contraction. If comic books had always had the audience that they do now figures like Superman and Spider-Man would not be cultural icons.

Valhelm

contribute something
This has already been said in this thread multiple times, but there's nothing wrong with liking sexily dressed fantasy woman. It's just a problem when an entire genre is nearly completely full of them.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel.

Abounder

Banned
Hasn't the comic book industry been in decline despite the blockbuster movies? Maybe the superhero style is getting out of fashion. It reminds me of that crap that Paul Dini went through which to me demonstrates a problem in the comic book industry and other industries: the people up top are out of touch and want to keep things as a boy's club even if the numbers, the times, or ethics say they should try otherwise:

In an interview with Kevin Smith, writer and television producer Paul Dini complained about a worrying trend he sees in television animation and superhero shows in particular: executives spurning female viewers because they believe girls and women don't buy the shows' toys.

DINI: "They're all for boys 'we do not want the girls', I mean, I've heard executives say this, you know, not [where I am] but at other places, saying like, 'We do not want girls watching this show."

DINI: "And then that's why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It's like, 'We don't want the girls because the girls won't buy toys.' We had a whole… we had a whole, a merchandise line for Tower Prep that they s***canned before it ever got off the launching pad, because it's like, 'Boys, boys, boys. Boys buy the little spinny tops, they but the action figures, girls buy princesses, we're not selling princesses.'"
---
The Toy Industry Association has annual sales data up on its website, although I don't see a spot where it breaks down sales data by gender. One thing that is interesting is that, in 2012, action figures and roleplaying toys accounted for $1.39B in sales, while dolls, which are typically aimed at girls, accounted for $2.69B in sales.

http://io9.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

But I suppose it's not too much different than WWE wrestling or manga/anime focusing on schoolgirls and etc

The Technomancer

Hasn't the comic book industry been in decline despite the blockbuster movies? Maybe the superhero style is getting out of fashion. It reminds me of that crap that Paul Dini went through which to me demonstrates a problem in the comic book industry and other industries: people up top are out of touch and want to keep things as a boy's club even if the numbers or ethics say they should try otherwise:

The comic book industry has been in decline since the 90s. All of the comic books I read as a kid were my mom's old collections in the basement because there was nowhere for me to really buy contemporary comics in my hometown.

Toa TAK

Banned
I just want a lot female characters in comics to quit being a walking pair of boobs. Or wearing the most scantly clad outfits in battle. It's just dumb and makes me feel embarrassed I'm into the medium.

And personally? It's just not the aesthetic I'm into.

Video games and some movies are the same but that's another "discussion" for Gaming side.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
And we're getting them; I refer you to my post on the previous page.

The problem is there are still a few holdouts among the more popular characters. Power Girl's boob window, while not a big deal to me personally, should be covered; Wonder Woman's costume should look more like armor; Harley should go back to looking more like a jester and less like...whatever she looks like now.

speaking of objectifying women, who dat in your avy? TA :D

100% agree that I'd prefer Harley to go back to jester rather than homeless juggalette assault victim as she looks now.

Boob window on PG is a classic though, I'd defend that. We should not be legislating against cleavage so much, it's fun. Think of the cosplayers.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Obviously we need more costumes like this:

tdumoqbyxkh47avtzxu0.jpg

That's a funny picture, but IRL men don't wear swimming-costume style onesies for acrobatics and athletics. That style of garment is seen often in swimming pools etc though, it's not out of the ordinary. Apart from the boob window. Which is neat.

besada

Banned
I come at this from a slightly different perspective. I've been involved -- one way or another -- with the industry for about two and a half decades. In that time I've written comics, edited comics, run a comic books store, and generally filled my life with fellow comic book professionals.

In particular, I know a lot of store owners. And they would love if the industry would take these issues more seriously, because they're watching the industry bleed out because it can't bring new readers in, which is the worst problem the industry faces at this point. The industry can't sustain itself on aging comic book readers, and yet they've lost virtually all of the youth audience.

One of the places store owners have been finding new customers is with young girls and women. Older women tend to be fans of the non-superhero stuff, in part because of the generally awful portrayal of women in superhero comics. Instead they read Walking Dead, Sandman, and a host of other indie comics that have managed to create interesting characters whose tits aren't on display 24/7. For young girls, they've had considerable success with lines like the reboot of Strawberry Shortcake.

But the very presence of posters covered in half-naked women makes many women uncomfortable going into comic books stores. Watching dozens of guys stand around ogling the latest issue of Power Girl doesn't help either. Because they love comics as a medium, and want to see it continue, they know that they can't survive off of just the aging demographic of men who read comics. They need a wider audience, or the industry is toast. Getting that wider audience means acknowledging that current super hero comics aren't particularly desired by the female demographic, and that part of that reason is the poor, often sexist, portrayals of female heroes.

So there's considerable pressure, not just from social groups, but from the retailers themselves, and from industry aware folks like myself, to do a better job of portraying women. You don't have to care, but it's not being done to destroy the boy's club, it's being done in the hope that we can save the industry.

Do you realize how insulting it is to insinuate that male comic book buyer care enough of how their female characters are dressed that they would drop comics altogether if that was changed?

Flo_Evans

http://www.themarysue.com/young-women-comic-demographic-growing/

I think this is the third time this has been posted. 20% of new readers on comixology are females ages 17-26. The fasted growing demographic is females 17-33, comic stores are reworking their inventory to appeal to a larger female fan base. Women are reading comics, quite a lot of them. As to the bs numbers, I think fan convention attendance is a pretty good metric, as are facebook surveys of self identified comic fans. That DC's new 52 didn't gain traction with female audience members might be do to things like this

Do you not realize this percentage is meaningless without other numbers? How many new readers are there? This is the kind of bullshit PR companies put out when sales are dropping.

speaking of objectifying women, who dat in your avy? TA :D

100% agree that I'd prefer Harley to go back to jester rather than homeless juggalette assault victim as she looks now.

Boob window on PG is a classic though, I'd defend that. We should not be legislating against cleavage so much, it's fun. Think of the cosplayers.

Oh God, I never thought of that.

The Technomancer

I come at this from a slightly different perspective. I've been involved -- one way or another -- with the industry for about two and a half decades. In that time I've written comics, edited comics, run a comic books store, and generally filled my life with fellow comic book professionals.

This is essentially what I'm trying to say. Superheroes are clearly popular with everybody. Comic art in general has always been popular and comic books in particular are finding broader audiences. There's no real good reason why superhero comics shouldn't be trying to be more inclusive and less alienating except for the "boys club" mentality

Teggy

FWIW one of my favorite heroes is Phyla-vell, who is a fully clothed lesbian (although I guess her boots might be considered a little kinky).

The double-Ds do get a little silly at times - my wife rolled her eyes when I was reading a Carol Danvers Ms. Marvel issue, which is unfortunate, because she is a well-written character. Overall, I don't think there's something inherently wrong with T&A in comics, given their history and that a lot of the people reading them now are grown men who read them as kids. The story lines, themes and writing certainly have gotten more mature over the past 30+ years. That said, there's certainly room in comics for female bodies/costumes that are more realistic, and publishers would actually find it's a money-maker to have books that appeal to women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom