• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Burger King have such horrible service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I live in South Florida aka home of the Burger King, and I always get shit service. Doesn't matter what store it is, they always take long to give the order and they mess up a lot. Also the stores always look dirty.
Why? Arent they second behind McDonalds (which always has great service,even in the hood) in market share?
Wendy's Taco Bell and even KFC have better service.
I feel like they used to have better service a couple years ago.

Oh but Popeyes does have worst service.

Diablos

Yeah, BK is pretty gross. They are usually dirty, the employees always look high or at least not giving a damn about their job, the food is always lukewarm, etc. etc. I haven't been there in 6 months, and don't plan on going back anytime soon.

IF they make it right, their chicken parm sandwich is amazing, and probably the best thing out there in the realm of fast food imo. Sadly there's a 50/50 chance they won't.

Anyway, given that junk food is a one-way ticket to obesity, when you are compelled to get some, might as well make it count. Which is why I avoid BK.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
There's many reasons, but I wouldn't say it has shitty service. Depends on the mood of the employee, ect...

Personally I prefer Burger King over McDonald's and Iv had good experiences to bad ones. Happens everywhere in the service industry.

akira28

I went to BK and ordered just the 4 piece nugget, and the lady audibly sighed. In like an annoyed way. It's like, damn, you're not the one eating it.

The burgers are way better than McDonalds, quality wise, but they're too expensive to justify. 2.50 for a dollar burger with a bunch of cheap vegetable toppings doesn't do it.

I think someone who served me once almost had a mental breakdown because he hadn't bagged my food and he looked close to tears when I had to correct him. Good thing his manager took over. :lol

Diablos

Also worth noting: the last time I went there, the girl who prepared my food was not even wearing work attire. She had a on a pink jacket and sweats with letters written on her ass, and I could see her underwear. It was like 10:30 at night. wtf.

Shadybiz

It is pretty terrible. Last time I was in there, the small order I had took 10 minutes to complete, and was incorrect. Wendy's and Taco Bell are typically quick and flawless.

I live in South Florida aka home of the Burger King, and I always get shit service. Doesn't matter what store it is, they always take long to give the order and they mess up a lot. Also the stores always look dirty.
Why? Arent they second behind McDonalds (which always has great service,even in the hood) in market share?
Wendy's Taco Bell and even KFC have better service.
I feel like they used to have better service a couple years ago.

Oh but Popeyes does have worst service.

I think you're expecting way too much for Burger King. Its not like their food is good anyway.

I hate that they changed their chicken nuggets, they taste like McDonald's now. Or did like six months ago when I had some, maybe they changed it back.

Well, it's a fast food restaurant.

The last time I went to BK was probably about 10 years ago, or whenever they had that "Backyard Grillers" abomination. Violent diarrhea, almost immediately after finishing the burger. We had to stop at McDonald's, ironically, for me to throw away my destroyed underwear.

A few days later, there was a story about a batch of meat that had been exposed to E. Coli. The B-roll showed meat patties with fake grill-lines rolling down a conveyor belt at a meat processing plant.

Davey Cakes

It is pretty terrible. Last time I was in there, the small order I had took 10 minutes to complete, and was incorrect. Wendy's and Taco Bell are typically quick and flawless.
I haven't eaten at Wendy's or Taco Bell in a while, but when I was younger and regularly ate food at those places, Wendy's was usually perfect but Taco Bell screwed up at least half the time.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I get incompetent AF teenagers and adults in my experience for the most part, same with McDonalds. I rarely go to both but last time I went with my girl it was unbelievable at the amount of stumblefuck fuck ups that they did.

Took 6 minutes (there's a fucking timer) to make 4 whopper Jr's and scoop out 2 small french fries orders.

That was after the dumb ass cashier placed 2 Whopper Jr's and 4 fry orders for me instead, so I had to correct her after seeing that shit on the LCD order display. She also gave me back like 0.3x cents in change instead of $1.3x. I gave her $10 and she charged me as if I gave her $9.. How the fuck does that happen when you give a person two $5 bills? Fuck? lol

Diablos

Well, it's a fast food restaurant.

The last time I went to BK was probably about 10 years ago, or whenever they had that "Backyard Grillers" abomination. Violent diarrhea, almost immediately after finishing the burger. We had to stop at McDonald's, ironically, for me to throw away my destroyed underwear.

A few days later, there was a story about a batch of meat that had been exposed to E. Coli. The B-roll showed meat patties with fake grill-lines rolling down a conveyor belt at a meat processing plant.
LOL.

When I last went I got a whopper and was backed up for HOURS. My stomach felt like it had a rock sitting in it. Nothing would break down. I had to actually buy laxatives and take two before bed and waste half of my Saturday shitting my brains out. It was horrible. I swear, I lost a pound or two when I was done.

NEVER AGAIN.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I gotta agree with OP. Even here in SoCal the food takes forever and the service is usually bad.

I remember a few years back I went to lunch during work and ended up being about 5 minutes late because it took about 15 minutes for two Whopper Jr. Every single time I went to the one in Temecula I had the same problem.

Other fast food joints will have bad service at certain stores/areas but BK is consistently bad wherever you go from my experience.

In the UK its because the employee primarily teenagers who can't find work anywhere else. Pay them minimum wage and treat them as disposable. Its the idiots leading the idiots.

Quality of food is always in flux at every BK iv visited. Meals very from enjoyable to downright shit.

Its 90% of the time served lukewarm and the burgers/sandwiches are either thrown together, over encumbered with dressing/sauce/relish or clearly reheated.

The actual seating area's are always badly laid out, Use very dated equipment and full of screaming children.

I can't remember the last time I was in a BK that did not have a "Caution Wet Suface" Cone on display either.

numble

Burger King in China > McDonald's in China

I've been to some nice Burger Kings in the US, also some bad ones; it seems like there's less franchise quality control in the US.

i think the poor service at any fast food is basically the fault of the store manager. they need to hire, train and enforce that stores practices. you arent going to be drawing from the greatest talent pool that you can choose from for employees but you can make it work.

if you get bad service i would suggest contacting them. i just googled burger king customer service and got this form i cant speak for BK personally but positive and negative comments do make a difference in those kinds of places. or complain in a yelp review or something. also if you go to place and its better then normal service if you do similar stuff and say how it was good it will help as well.

jdouglas

Drive through BK is by far the slowest drive through; average wait time (so far) for me is never less than 10 minutes.

3phemeral

Back in Los Angeles, there's a Burger King right as you exit Eastern Avenue of the East that's horrible. The first time I went, the cashier was extremely polite, but when he discovered that he had no change in the register, he talked to the manager and she ordered to go to the bank and told him to tell me to wait. He turned to inform me even though I already heard the whole conversation, and he looked incredibly embarrassed. I wasn't going to wait for 8 cents, so I told him not to worry about it.

I think I went there a few other times afterward thinking the first experience might have been a fluke, but had equally bad service those times also.

Ken

One time I asked for onion rings and they put fries. I told them I wanted onion rings and they put that in without taking the fries so they're ok to me.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
it seems like there's less franchise quality control in the US.

Bingo! This is exactly the reason.

I don't buy that minimum wage = bad service. I went to Del Taco last night and got two 1.2 lb bean and cheese burritos that were perfectly wrapped. This particular Del Taco has great service and the employees are getting paid the same as a BK employee. I always try to let them know I appreciate the extra effort they put in making burritos and tacos.

Take some damn pride in your job. I think most of those people who slack off at $8/hour will slack off even if you pay them $20/hour. At the end of the day its managements fault for having slacker teens who don't give a shit about their job.

Camp Lo

Banned
Bingo! This is exactly the reason.

I don't buy that minimum wage = bad service. I went to Del Taco last night and got two 1.2 lb bean and cheese burritos that were perfectly wrapped. This particular Del Taco has great service and the employees are getting paid the same as a BK employee. I always try to let them know I appreciate the extra effort they put in making burritos and tacos.

Take some damn pride in your job. I think most of those people who slack off at $8/hour will slack off even if you pay them $20/hour. At the end of the day its managements fault for having slacker teens who don't give a shit about their job.

This reminds me of the talk of McDonald's employees getting a possible raise to $15/hr; it still pisses me off considering the BK up the street doesn't even clean the lobby.

VariantX

Dunno, exactly what happened to BK, they went from pretty good in 80's - early 90's to serving flavorless, nearly room temperature food today. Seems no matter which one I ended up going to, the fries would be practically uncooked in the middle and the burgers cold and tasteless. They need someone to go in and just do a total reboot of their products and services like Hardees/Carls Jr. did.

way more

This is true in my town as well.

I think the national chain is struggling with wanting to be either quality like Wendy's or value. Hopefully in 5 years there is a case study that explains it's decline.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I dunno. I never have bad service with BK.

15 years ago I would eat at one every day after school on my way to work and it quickly got to the point that the manager would see me coming and have them make my food for me before I could get in the door. He was a nice guy.

Though once about 13 years ago I went to Wendy's and got two cheeseburgers and went home to find they forgot the beef. Literally forgot the patties. Like what the fuck did they think I wanted? It was that day I decided to always check my order before leaving the parking lot. I should have driven back just so I could walk in, ask for a manager and proudly say without an ounce of irony, "Where's the beef?" Unfortunately that was the only time they ever forgot the beef. I really should have gone back. I don't know why it didn't. Still kicking myself for that one. (Especially since I paid for two buns with cheese.)

Dereck

What blows my mind about fast food restaurants, is that even though I say my order with perfect annunciation, very slowly and uniform, and very loudly, they still get the order wrong. I'll even repeat shit and they still forget the little shit.

And yes I do notice that some BKs have slow service.

diamount

Banned
The BK in my town seem to be staffed fully by Eastern Europeans so trying to get them to understand your order is hard work. Might as well go home and cook your meal.

That is in the UK.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I can guarantee that my local BK is the most horrifying of all. Just off of the top of my head:

- Half of the employees are sallow, zombie-like young people with severe meth rashes on their face and soulless eyes. When I order something, I feel incredibly uneasy because I always imagine the squalor that these people have to go back to after work.

- There's a 400-lb redneck who eats there for every meal, sexually harasses the female employees, and shouts everything at the top of his lungs but they never ask him to leave because he must spend $30 or $40 a day there.

- The soda machine constantly makes a noise like a grunting hog

- The booths actually have FAKE cushioning which is designed to look soft but is actually rock-hard plastic

- The employees almost always miss an item on the order, which forces me to get back in line, ask for the item, wait ten more minutes for it, and go back to the rest of my food which is now cold.

Even McDonald's is vastly more clean, fast, and orderly.

Drive through BK is by far the slowest drive through; average wait time (so far) for me is never less than 10 minutes.

They're so slow that they've seriously asked me to park my car and wait for food before. It's taken twenty to thirty minutes for me to get my order from the drive through on multiple occasions, but in spite of the shit service I still went there periodically just because I had one a minute from my home. I haven't gone back since they got rid of the 2/$3 King Deals.

aceface

A friend of mine put it well: "I went to use the public bathroom in the middle of town and for some reason they put a Burger King in there." Seems like they are all like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom