• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Drake constantly rap about gangster shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Like....who is he fooling.

I've been digging into some hip hop recently, and he's a very talented dude. Picks amazing producers, a great singing voice, and constructs catchy as hell melodies (Jumpman!). I don't really care all that much about lyrics or poems and shit. Just catchy stuff with cool lines I guess.

But this guy is always injecting gangster shit and it doesn't come off the least bit genuine. Like the awesome video for Energy. He starts right off with that stupid gun thing he does that is just so cringey. Its just so annoying really.

I know this is like a meme at this point but I need this explained. Like does he have any self awareness about this.

It sounds great thats why, nobody's buying the act but that's not necessary either for today's market

Can't all just be love songs and shit

Zaventem

I think most people have come to terms with him being a fraud(when it comes to the gang lifestyle). You also have to remember he's around those types of rsppers. I certainly don't care, as long as it sounds good to my ears.

diamount

Banned
It sounds great thats why, nobody's buying the act but that's not necessary either for today's market

There are plenty of other subjects, 'not just love songs and shit'. The guy is stuck in a comfort zone and is lyrically lazy.

Ivan 3414

Outside of making guns with his hands he really doesn't rap about "gangster shit"

And it should be very clear to anyone with half a brain that he's self-aware, since the Hotline Bling video.

And it also be clear that no one except old heads holds much weight about authenticity in hip-hop or music in general

Sou Da

He's been pretending to be hard inbetween his stripper savior tracks forever.

Those gunshots on his mixtape were hilarious.

gdt

I wish it was ;_;

Or just hype shit

Does every artist only create music about stuff they've done or has happened to them?

Oh telling stories or whatever is cool. But damn lol Drake is out here talking about catching bodies like hes Omar or some shit

jmaine_ph

You do what you want when you poppin'

Seriously though, Drake is at the top of the game and anything he puts out that's catchy or hot (whether true or not) people will eat it up.

Lamel

Banned
It's not just him honestly, a lot of rappers will say shit they never do. It just sounds extra cringey with him. I pay no mind, dude makes good music.

Vice

He realized no one cares about authenticity as long as your shit sounds good. Everyone lnows he's Charmin soft and he knows it too. As long as you don't go full Rick Ross you can rap about the hardest subjects and still pick lillies from your garden in the morning dew, no questions asled.

gdt

I don't even value authenticity! Its just cringey to me. I don't know why really.

Its like it stands out or something.

Ivan 3414

After the Meek Mill beef you'd think Drake
lovers
haters would realize that no one gives a shit that he came from Degrassi or hasn't killed anyone or sings soft songs or is ghostwritten

Like, it boggles my mind why this is still an issue with folks

DrEvil

not a medical professional
anigif_enhanced-buzz-24417-1374965961-10.gif

Thug life.

Majestad

Banned
His 12-16 years old audience want to hear about stuff like that while they play CoD online. Shit gets 'em pumped.

Apathy

He's a rich kid that people that like bad hip hop made popular. Just ignore him op, no point in wasting energy hating him.

Didn't meek just get called out on this actually? Said something bout shooting someone(people assumed drake) and than he came out and said it's just rap? Id argue its worst for him than drake

orochi91

He reminds me of The Weeknd.

That dude only ever seems to sing about alcohol, prostitutes or drugs (sometimes a combination of all three!).

Some artists are just stuck in a comfort zone and rarely step outside of it.

At least the amazing beats and production values saves some of these songs.

There are plenty of other subjects, 'not just love songs and shit'. The guy is stuck in a comfort zone and is lyrically lazy.

+1

gdt

You guys are all making sense....

But this shit still annoys me. I have no logical reason for it I guess.

gdt

He reminds me of The Weeknd.

That dude only ever seems to sing about Alcohol, Prostitutes or Drugs. Sometimes a combination of all three!

Some artists are just stuck in a comfort zone and get really lazy with their lyrics.

At least the amazing beats and production values saves some of these songs.

With the Weeknd I can believe though. He really sells his whole vibe and has since Day 1. Wicked Games blew me the fuck away when that album came out.

orochi91

You guys are all making sense....

But this shit still annoys me. I have no logical reason for it I guess.

It bothers me too.

It's a shame seeing Drake waste his talents that way.

He's capable of so much more, but lyrics always hold back his songs.

With the Weeknd I can believe though. He really sells his whole vibe and has since Day 1. Wicked Games blew me the fuck away when that album came out.

Wicked Games was the first song I've ever heard from him, but I feel like the subject matters for his songs have barely expanded beyond the stuff he sang about in his early days.

His lyrics are much better than Drake's though.

Majestad

Banned
He's an entertainer. This is like criticizing Kane for not actually being from the depths of Hell.

At the very least Kanye experiments and can be creative. Drake is a creatively bankrupt artist that fucking nobody will listen to 20 years from now, as opposed to the real rap legends.

Cipherr

This is a poor excuse though. There's a giant freaking vast world of topics in between 'gangstas and guns' and 'love songs'. Its really silly.

At the very least Kanye experiments and can be creative. Drake is a creatively bankrupt artist that fucking nobody will listen to 20 years from now, as opposed to the real rap legends.
Plz tell me who these legends are. I know alot of gaf hates mainstream stuff but this is ridiculous. Acknowledge talent, whether you like him or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom