• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Drake constantly rap about gangster shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

At the very least Kanye experiments and can be creative. Drake is a creatively bankrupt artist that fucking nobody will listen to 20 years from now, as opposed to the real rap legends.

+1

Which is ironic because I recall Drake saying a while back that 808s & Heartbreak was one of the main inspirations for him as an artist.

FreeMufasa

At the very least Kanye experiments and can be creative. Drake is a creatively bankrupt artist that fucking nobody will listen to 20 years from now, as opposed to the real rap legends.

Well it's been 10 years now and he's never been this popular.

Drake will stay

Majestad

Banned
Kane:

latest

Not Kanye

Fucking lol. I thought this was a Kanye illuminati joke haha.

Dude's a great entertainer with decent hooks and simple lyrical and pentatonic structure. Is it really hard to understand why he's popular?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are all making sense....

But this shit still annoys me. I have no logical reason for it I guess.

because it's basically a parody and you just have to accept that they're making pop records with just the right amount of family friendly danger

If you're looking for an edge in the mainstream you're about 15 years too late.

Majestad

Banned
Plz tell me who these legends are. I know alot of gaf hates mainstream stuff but this is ridiculous. Acknowledge talent, whether you like him or not

Some people say that him or J. Cole are the Nas's or Jay-Z's of our time. Neither of these two dudes have albums that will stand the test of time. Drake is just the flavor of the week, just like most of the "new school". I was listening to Doggystyle the other day and I'm like, fuck, now these dudes ruled rap.

Kusagari

A former correctional officer briefly became the hottest thing in rap by portraying himself as a drug kingpin.

Everyone in rap bullshits. Even the guys who actually lived it up the hyperbole for braggadocio rap.

A former correctional officer briefly became the hottest thing in rap by portraying himself as a drug kingpin.

Everyone in rap bullshits. Even the guys who actually lived it up the hyperbole for braggadocio rap.

Rick Ross is still pretty hot, too. Not like he's just fallen off.

Some people say that him or J. Cole are the Nas's or Jay-Z's of our time. Neither of these two dudes have albums that will stand the test of time. Drake is just the flavor of the week, just like most of the "new school". I was listening to Doggystyle the other day and I'm like, fuck, now these dudes ruled rap.
Flavor of the week? Dudes been rocking since 06, hit his stride in 08 and only went up! He doesn't have to live up to nas or jay he already proved his self. He not even my fav but the old school hate always annoys me alil dude has talent and he's good at what he does

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He's a rich kid that people that like bad hip hop made popular. Just ignore him op, no point in wasting energy hating him.

Are there any other rappers in the game with backgrounds like his?

I'm no expert, but he seems really talented. It's just that his background, demeanor, and general appearance do not gel at all with the lyrics he's spitting.

Flavor of the week? Dudes been rocking since 06, hit his stride in 08 and only went up! He doesn't have to live up to nas or jay he already proved his self. He not even my fav but the old school hate always annoys me alil dude has talent and he's good at what he does

He had that joint from that LeBron doc and just never landed.

gdt

True, but I felt like he won over on a MONSTER beat, and great melody and cleverness in his lyrics.

Indeed.

Not at all....that's why he's great to me!
Lol op isn't even trying to discredit like most are. I get where you coming from with the gangster rap alil tho. I personally thinks hes at his best when telling his stories(look what you've done,you and the six,too much and his slow stuff)

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
The best example of new-school, twitter beef rappers vs. old school was when Action Bronson made some mild, off hand comment about Ghostface. GFK responded with the best video ever and basically told him that if this were 20 years ago, he'd get got. I'm not a huge fan of Drake by any means, but taking anything ANY modern day rapper says regarding crime or violence seriously while they argue over social media is just silly.

Also, "The Six" is the most try-hard, lame and corny attempt ever at forcing a "cool" nickname on a city. God damn is it ever cringey.

Majestad

Banned

I know how long he's been around, which makes it even sadder. He's been at the forefront of the rap game for like 6 years and still has zero classics. No masterpieces, no impressive bodies of work. His achievement is to have a couple million selling albums. Nothing that will be listened to in 20 years from now. Imagine somebody from 2035 listening to Drake's hotline blinge. I just.. can't.

collige

Banned
The best example of new-school, twitter beef rappers vs. old school was when Action Bronson made some mild, off hand comment about Ghostface. GFK responded with the best video ever and basically told him that if this were 20 years ago, he'd get got. I'm not a huge fan of Drake by any means, but taking anything ANY modern day rapper says regarding crime or violence seriously while they argue over social media is just silly.

So where does that leave Keef, Shmurda, etc?

Cheddahz

Banned

If modern rap sounded the same as it did in the 90s, we would be sick of it by now, so yeah, it's cool that albums like 'Doggystyle" are there for us to listen to, but you have to move on from that

I know hos long he's been around, which makes it sadder. He's been at the forefront of the rap game for like 6 years and still has zero classics. Nothing that will be listened to in 20 years from now. Imagine somebody from 2035 listening to Drake's hotline blinge. I just.. can't.
Well prepare to be saddened my friend! Especially hotline bling.

Cipherr

I dunno, flavor of the week? I don't like him much either, but So far gone was in 09 or thereabouts and we are heading into 2016 and he is fresh off of one of the few platinum hip hop albums of 2015.

That's a long ass fucking 'week' man. You can not like his catalog, but trying to pin his run thus far as short lived or whatnot just seems downright dishonest.

If modern rap sounded the same as it did in the 90s, we would be sick of it by now, so yeah, it's cool that albums like 'Doggystyle" are there for us to listen to, but you have to move on from that

Everyone sticks with what they grew up with. Old heads were screaming about Kool and the Gang being the real hiphop while we were listening to Doggystyle on walkmans.

riotous

Banned
The best example of new-school, twitter beef rappers vs. old school was when Action Bronson made some mild, off hand comment about Ghostface. GFK responded with the best video ever and basically told him that if this were 20 years ago, he'd get got..

And thank goodness we are past that crap.

Can't believe we still have rap fans that prefer rappers are degenerate murderers.

Floridian

I dunno, flavor of the week? I don't like him much either, but So far gone was in 09 or thereabouts and we are heading into 2016 and he is fresh off of one of the few platinum hip hop albums of 2015.

That's a long ass fucking 'week' man. You can not like his catalog, but trying to pin his run thus far as short lived or whatnot just seems downright dishonest.

Drake's a flavor of the 312 weeks so far.

Switch Back 9

So where does that leave Keef, Shmurda, etc?

Well considering Shmurda is currently sitting in a cell doing time, I think he's rocking that old-school method quite well. Til Shkreli springs him and backs that album ;)

And thank goodness we are past that crap.

Can't believe we still have rap fans that prefer rappers are degenerate murderers.

Not saying the old way is "better", it just gets grating that these new guys (who are not degenerate murderers or gangsters at all, especially Forest Hill's Drake) are trying to emulate that and failing, hard.

No he wouldn't lol.

Ya'll got some rose colored glasses big time over an era that never really existed in the first place.

Know what artists had albums that charted in 1995? Bone Thugz, Kool G, Naughty By Nature, DJ Quik, and a bunch of movie soundtracks.

The biggest single was Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise which debuted in a fucking Michelle Pfeiffer movie about a mystical magical white woman that would save these poor dumb black folks from the hood.

People just remember all the hype shit like Cuban Linx and 36 Chambers and Me Against the World and stuff while forgetting the stuff that charted in the day was the same simple to digest shit that does now.

Beefs back then were about contracts and money, not street cred and respect like all the old timers want you to believe. Easy and Dre had beef over a fucking contract, don't let their portrayal as some grand battle of the streets fool you. The east coast/west coast war was all media hype to SELL ALBUMS.

There is no "golden era" of a genre of music there's just an era that you like better than others.

Barzul

It sounds good and provides me with decent snapchat background music and ig captions. It's while Drake stays relevant. I never really get bored of his music. He isn't a great but he's persistent.

riotous

Banned
Not saying the old way is "better", it just gets grating that these new guys (who are not degenerate murderers or gangsters at all, especially Forest Hill's Drake) are trying to emulate that and failing, hard.

I just don't get how it's anything "new" either though; we don't have major rappers murdering each other anymore but we always had fake gangsters.

Like....who is he fooling.

I've been digging into some hip hop recently, and he's a very talented dude. Picks amazing producers, a great singing voice, and constructs catchy as hell melodies (Jumpman!). I don't really care all that much about lyrics or poems and shit. Just catchy stuff with cool lines I guess.

But this guy is always injecting gangster shit and it doesn't come off the least bit genuine. Like the awesome video for Energy. He starts right off with that stupid gun thing he does that is just so cringey. Its just so annoying really.

I know this is like a meme at this point but I need this explained. Like does he have any self awareness about this.

He is a studio gangsta

LionPride

Banned
In Rap/Hip-Hop there will always be people who act as if they gang bang or are hard or some shit when they're not. It's been like that, it's gonna stay like that. Happy it isn't like it used to be when dudes would get clapped up for saying this shit.

Then again these two dudes did just still a rapper's chain and the dude claimed to have dudes ready to come down here and kill em for it, so times really aint changed

Switch Back 9

I just don't get how it's anything "new" either though; we don't have major rappers murdering each other anymore but we always had fake gangsters.

It's mostly the fact that unlike a lot of old-school rappers, and even modern guys like Kendrick, Drake has absolutely zero history or experience with inner-city life and rough, low income neighbourhoods. It's not so much a matter of then vs. now, rather that this guy grew up in a neighbourhood that makes where I grew up look like the ghetto, and it comes off super fake and corny when he tries to act hood.

Fjordson

Same reason Rick Ross is a criminal kingpin in his songs.

It's a performance. Entertainment. Some guys insert more fiction than others, but it doesn't take away from good music.

And whew @ some the dusty posts in here. Hip-hop fans remind me so much of NBA fans lol. Always pining for the good ol' days lol.

Forkball

The whole Drake/Meek Mill stuff was straight out of high school and yet you had countless websites following every moment.

Meek Mill: You don't write your own music.
Drake: Yeah well, everyone likes your girlfriend more than you.

nXPruDN.gif

I've had more intense rivalries with my dryer.

Switch Back 9

The whole Drake/Meek Mill stuff was straight out of high school and yet you had countless websites following every moment.

Meek Mill: You don't write your own music.
Drake: Yeah well, everyone likes your girlfriend more than you.

I've had more intense rivalries with my dryer.

Hahaha, this perfectly sums up the entire beef.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Same reason Rick Ross is a criminal kingpin in his songs.

It's a performance. Entertainment. Some guys insert more fiction than others, but it doesn't take away from good music.

This. Think about your favorite Metal/Rock personas and how completely different they are when in public/not performing.

Rap moved away from giving a shit about albums a long time ago. It's all about the singles now and Drake pumps those out like no other. Hell, some of Drake's most popular songs aren't even on an album.

If Drake is the flavor of the week then it's been a long ass week. He's going on what, 8 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom