• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Drake constantly rap about gangster shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Hip Hop started off as the voice of the people. It is true that all things evolve and grow and blossom but the uniqueness that is Hip Hop should remember its roots while not being a slave to them. Drake has the talent for sure but his overall presence is so stark and in contrast to his musical context that it calls in to question all things related to his output. He doesn't have to talk about "Gangsta shit", College Dropout proved that. Stakes Is High proved that. There is a plethora of classic Hip Hop albums and artist that put that Gangsta Shit to the back burner.

I get why people ask the question, especially if you only hear Drake on the fringe and don't dig into his catalog. I will say this, I can't for the life of me figure why this dude is on the Sprite Billboard with Big, Nas and Rakim, That seems a bit much.

Hip Hop started off as the voice of the people. It is true that all things evolve and grow and blossom but the uniqueness that is Hip Hop should remember its roots while not being a slave to them. Drake has the talent for sure but his overall presence is so stark and in contrast to his musical context that it calls in to question all things related to his output. He doesn't have to talk about "Gangsta shit", College Dropout proved that. Stakes Is High proved that. There is a plethora of classic Hip Hop albums and artist that put that Gangsta Shit to the back burner.

I get why people ask the question, especially if you only hear Drake on the fringe and don't dig into his catalog. I will say this, I can't for the life of me figure why this dude is on the Sprite Billboard with Big, Nas and Rakim, That seems a bit much.
He's sponsored by sprite i believe

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Still waiting for someone to point out multiple examples of Drake talking gangster shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom