• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Namco USA suck so much?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll said:
Hey didn't we already have this thread? :lol
yeah ethelred told me you did one. but it was about their localizations not because V&B wasnt released here :p

CO_Andy

Himuro said:
Hopefully ATLUS picks up that Venus game.
I'm purdy sure Atlus would of done it by now instead of bringing out trite such as Rule of Rose.

DarknessTear said:
Maybe they will submit to the power of the Gaijin.
That Gaijin's gonna need bags of money.

Okay, Atlus is releasing Rule of Rose. Atlus also released Cubivore and are releasing Polarium Advance, which are two other Nintendo-published games. And Atlus released Tactics Ogre for the GBA, which was a Nintendo-published game as well.

So it's not like Atlus was blocked from everything. Just Mother.

That is true... perhaps Nintendo draws a line between games that Nintendo published, but did not develop, like Ogre Battle of Cubivore, and first-party developed games like Mother? That's my best guess at least.

And there are others, too. Sure, they passed on Giftpia... but they brought over Chibi Robo, and are even releasing its sequel. Hotel Dusk and Another Code are two other recent examples.
Yeah, Chibi-Robo and Another Code are other good current-gen examples... another is perhaps Custom Robo, with how the N64 game didn't get a Western release.

I really like SNK's games, and the thought of us possibly never getting a US release of Samurai Shodown Tenka, King of Fighters XI, and Metal Slug 6 simply because of Sony's policies on 2d is awful... hopefully they'll come out sometime. It's too late for Goemon PS2 though... poor Working Designs.

Cutting voice out of all the skits in Abyss like ToS, except Abyss has a lot more skits than ToS so it's even worse this time around. In the Tales games, the skits are where 98% of the character development is. If Tales games had no skits they'd be like 8-bit rpgs with a group of heroes going from A->B->C-Final Boss. The skits make the casts likeable and make the adventures enjoyable, especially since the story in most Tales games is kinda ho-hum, the skits are far more important than the plot (though Abyss's plot is pretty solid) IMO. When you take the voice out AND don't change the auto-scrolling (because it thinks the voice is still there) so you have to slowly wait for the lines to change...you kill the skits and most people will skip the majority of them and complain about the cast/writing.

Tales is huge in Japan because it pulls together the best voice actors in the industry and give an adventure full of tons and tons of excellent voiced dialogues that are more entertaining than most anime. Taking them out for the US release, is basically taking out a major selling point of the game.

Oh right, the removed voices in the skits... they're doing that again? Annoying... but yeah (though that post didn't address it), censorship in Japanese games is always really annoying. Extremely common, but annoying every time...

ethelred

A Black Falcon said:
If Tales games had no skits they'd be like 8-bit rpgs with a group of heroes going from A->B->C-Final Boss. The skits make the casts likeable and make the adventures enjoyable, especially since the story in most Tales games is kinda ho-hum\

And here we have a perfect summation of everything that's wrong with Tales of Eternia (or as Hometek likes to call it, Tales of Destiny 2).

Error

I didnt know ToTA relied so much on the skits... :/

I rather pay 50 bucks for a complete game without any stuff edited than pay 40 for a game with a bunch of stuff taken out.

Error2k4 said:
but they allow crap like Legend of Heroes... seriously I sometimes wonder how these companies work.

Hrrrrmph. Those aren't crap. They are very good. Great story, decent battle system, very nice graphics, no loading time. Sure, they are basically old-school, SNES style RPGs, no voice or cutscenes, and the translation could be better, but I really enjoyed them myself.

Anyway, I believe those made it over because while they aren't new games, they aren't ports of PS1 games with nothing added, like most of Namco's Tales games for the PSP. They are basically remakes of PC games.

If you want to pick on something, pick on Astonishia Story.

ethelred

trancejeremy said:
Hrrrrmph. Those aren't crap. They are very good. Great story, decent battle system, very nice graphics, no loading time. Sure, they are basically old-school, SNES style RPGs, no voice or cutscenes, and the translation could be better, but I really enjoyed them myself.

They are big steaming piles of crap. Terrible stories, terrible characterizations, bland battle system, nonexistant character growth / customization systems, average graphics, nice music, atrocious translations.

trancejeremy said:
If you want to pick on something, pick on Astonishia Story.

And you've pinpointed the one game that's even worse.

hyp

i dunno, but driving past their building every day makes me wonder if they're on the brink of bankruptcy. they might as well be operating out of a garage.

Lain

Gotta thank this thread, even tho it was about V&B, now i know i won't buy Tales of the Abyss!

Thanks!

linsivvi

Bebpo said:
SCEA's PSP division is probably worse though. The PSP rpg situation is the biggest joke in gaming history. In Japan it's the best handheld rpg system ever IMO (if you've haven't played a lot of the more obscure Saturn/PS1 rpgs), yet in the US it's pretty much the worst rpg system ever. They're only shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing all the great titles to come out in the US.

What RPG games does the PSP have in Japan? Are you sure it's better than the GBA lineup though?

Curious question. How did Venus and Braves do in Japan?

linsivvi said:
What RPG games does the PSP have in Japan? Are you sure it's better than the GBA lineup though?

Curious question. How did Venus and Braves do in Japan?

Brave Story, Jewel Summoner, an SMT title I think...some ports (Tales of Eternia). Hmm...yeah, what else is there?

linsivvi

FateBreaker said:
Brave Story, Jewel Summoner, an SMT title I think...some ports (Tales of Eternia). Hmm...yeah, what else is there?

And Breath of Fire?

In that case, I am pretty sure it can't be better than FF I, II, IV, V, VI, Golden Sun, Pokemon plus a slew of others. Certainly better than the DS for the moment, no doubt about that.

ethelred

linsivvi said:
And Breath of Fire?

In that case, I am pretty sure it can't be better than FF I, II, IV, V, VI, Golden Sun, Pokemon plus a slew of others. Certainly better than the DS for the moment, no doubt about that.

I don't agree, but that's because I tend to rank original games much more highly than ports.

Bebpo

Banned
linsivvi said:
And Breath of Fire?

If you don't mind ports (for instance if you haven't played the original games) then:

Tales of Eternia, Tales of Phantasia, Suikoden I, Suikoden II, Devil Summoner, Tengai Makyou IV, Valkyrie Profile, Monster Kingdom, Brave Story, plus probably a few others. For a system that's only a couple of years old that's a pretty damn good lineup. Sure if you've played all the ports then it might not be your cup of tea, but that's no different than the FF games on GBA so same deal. The only PSP rpg ports I'd previously played were the Suikoden games, so all the rest is new to me and really enjoyable.

Part of it is the experience also. Playing games with full voice acting like Eternia/Phantasia/Tengai IV/Monster Kingdom on a portable (while on the go) is an amazing exeperience that's taken forever to get to but is now technically possible. For me voice acting is incredibly important in rpgs so finally getting the full console-level rpg experience on a handheld is very nice.

Namco .... Hometek ... Suck

It ... Does ... Conmute

As a tales fan, I hope they GIVE UP bringing tales of this way, enough bastardization already. This is not 'at least its coming', no, go **** yourselves Namco Hometek, don't touch what you don't deserve to touch.

Lend the series to Atlus or NIS.

linsivvi

Bebpo said:
If you don't mind ports (for instance if you haven't played the original games) then:

Tales of Eternia, Tales of Phantasia, Suikoden I, Suikoden II, Devil Summoner, Tengai Makyou IV, Valkyrie Profile, Monster Kingdom, Brave Story, plus probably a few others. For a system that's only a couple of years old that's a pretty damn good lineup. Sure if you've played all the ports then it might not be your cup of tea, but that's no different than the FF games on GBA so same deal. The only PSP rpg ports I'd previously played were the Suikoden games, so all the rest is new to me and really enjoyable.

Part of it is the experience also. Playing games with full voice acting like Eternia/Phantasia/Tengai IV/Monster Kingdom on a portable (while on the go) is an amazing exeperience that's taken forever to get to but is now technically possible. For me voice acting is incredibly important in rpgs so finally getting the full console-level rpg experience on a handheld is very nice.

Agree with you on the console-level RPG experience on a handheld totally. These days I just don't have enough patience and time to sit in front of a TV for a 50 hours grand of a RPG game.

Wow, the music in Venus & Braves... and that battle system looks interesting, to be sure. I won't lie and say I'd automatically pick it up if they released it over here, but I'd consider it carefully.

But Namco Hometek drives me nuts. So cheap about voice acting ("Well, we thought we'd only do HALF the game...", yeah, we've heard from the English producer why, but he shouldn't have to make such a choice, and WE shouldn't have to pay full price for a product that's had aspects hacked out), and changing things that don't need to be changed. (There's a ratings system for a reason. Stop butchering whatever it was the Japanese designers and developers were trying to accomplish with a scene or particular element.)

Aeana

ethelred said:
They are big steaming piles of crap. Terrible stories, terrible characterizations, bland battle system, nonexistant character growth / customization systems, average graphics, nice music, atrocious translations.

It's true that they aren't very good now, and the PSP remakes are kind of bleh all around, but they were pretty awesome when they came out originally (in the early 90s). :( As with most remakes, it will be mostly people who are fans of the original that enjoy the games. It's kind of like, oh, FF4a (or maybe, more appropriately, FF3ds, since it's a similar kind of 'remake' to the PSP Legend of Heroes games?). I don't know how much someone who never played FF4 originally would enjoy it NOW, so it's the same deal with Legend of Heroes 3-5.

It sure would be nice if someone brought Legend of Heroes 6 FC and SC over, though. At least there's a fan translation of FC going.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
let's just say namco europe is worse... they censor what the us branch does. and only release the shit. Katamari dimacy didn't get released for example. :\

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
alkaline black said:
In before anyone disses the Fast and the Furious. It rules :(

Really? That's actually good to know. The trailers at least have been nice...

Acosta

Brobzoid said:
let's just say namco europe is worse... they censor what the us branch does. and only release the shit. Katamari dimacy didn't get released for example. :\

Katamary wasn´t released in Europe because it used a technique that was extremely hard to make it work at 50Hz (and in Japan most of developer doen´t know that most of the actual TVs in Europe accept 60Hz signals, but well...). That is the official answer I got from a develoepr of the game.

And Namco doen´t have a house in Europe. What they have is Namco Hometek divisions (they only manage PC games).

Europe is a joke as videogame market, better not speak much of it.

ethelred

Aeana said:
It's true that they aren't very good now, and the PSP remakes are kind of bleh all around, but they were pretty awesome when they came out originally (in the early 90s). :( As with most remakes, it will be mostly people who are fans of the original that enjoy the games. It's kind of like, oh, FF4a (or maybe, more appropriately, FF3ds, since it's a similar kind of 'remake' to the PSP Legend of Heroes games?). I don't know how much someone who never played FF4 originally would enjoy it NOW, so it's the same deal with Legend of Heroes 3-5.

It sure would be nice if someone brought Legend of Heroes 6 FC and SC over, though. At least there's a fan translation of FC going.

It's not like FF3 at all, though. FF3 got some nice gameplay upgrades in its remake, and what's more, its gameplay systems have more depth than LoH's anyway -- the job system provides for excellent customization of characters and different ways of evolving them. There's a lot to play around with there; LoH doesn't have that. FF3's story is also good and the translation is guaranteed to not be amongst the worst in recent years like Bandai did with the two PSP Legends.

I'm not going to knock the originals, though, as I never played them and can certainly appreciate the context of the timeframe in which they came out.

Link1110

Their REAL sin is some of their poor decisions.

"OK, we can do Tales of Destiny 2 PS2 or Xenosaga 1" "Doyee, Xenosaga"
"Let's decide. Tales of Rebirth, an absolute masterpiece, and sequel to a game which sold 400,000 copies or Arc the Lad: Generation, a game hated by all who play it and will go on to sell 15,000 copies" "Duhhh, Arc the Lad"

ethelred

Link1110 said:
Their REAL sin is some of their poor decisions.

"OK, we can do Tales of Destiny 2 PS2 or Xenosaga 1" "Doyee, Xenosaga"
"Let's decide. Tales of Rebirth, an absolute masterpiece, and sequel to a game which sold 400,000 copies or Arc the Lad: Generation, a game hated by all who play it and will go on to sell 15,000 copies" "Duhhh, Arc the Lad"

Um... well, the first one, at least, was not a poor decision in a business stretch -- by any sense of the word.

Tales of Destiny 2 was a sequel to a game that sold only 70,000 in the US, and where Hometek had already played the "2" card prematurely and inaccurately on Eternia (which then proceded to sell only 55k).

Xenosaga, on the other hand, was pretty much considered the sequel to one of the more successful PlayStation RPGs -- and the success carried over and netted them 500k in sales (waaaaaaaay more than Destiny 2 ever would've brought in, I'm afraid).

If they had to decide between one or the other, then from a business decision standpoint, they made the right decision. This isn't about that, though.

Error

yeah but didnt they advertise the shit out of Episode 1?

the Tales of games are barely advertise here, I think the only Tales of games that sold well here was Symphonia.

Error

I cant believe small companies like Atlus or Nis America make better job at localization than Namco, it's so sad.

Link1110

ethelred said:
Um... well, the first one, at least, was not a poor decision in a business stretch -- by any sense of the word.

If they had to decide between one or the other, then from a business decision standpoint, they made the right decision. This isn't about that, though.

I was talking from a game standpoint. The worst game I ever played vs a game that's practically a masterpiece. Maybe Xenosaga 1 sold well, but it was a piss-poor game. And hands down the inferior Episode 1.

ethelred

Hunter D said:
Besides the tales games and tekken tag and 5 what other good games have namco made this gen?

Uh... Venus & Braves, the game I've been praising the hell out of the whole thread?

Baten Kaitos is good, and Xenosaga is a love-it-or-hate-it series, which is different from inarguably bad. Katamari? Ace Combat? Haven't they made lots of good games?

Link1110 said:
I was talking from a game standpoint. The worst game I ever played vs a game that's practically a masterpiece. Maybe Xenosaga 1 sold well, but it was a piss-poor game. And hands down the inferior Episode 1.

You said poor decision, which implies business sense in this context. The context is furthered by the fact that your very next example brought up the sales argument -- Symphonia's sales versus which End of Darkness ended up garnering.

In the first case, they made the right business decision... unfortunately. But there's really no reason why they couldn't have localized both, and that's what the thread should be about. Companies like Atlus are able to create viable, thriving business models off of localizing niche games (even those with lots of text and voicework) and still turn a nice profit off of them -- and a company like Hometek, the US branch of one of the largest Japanese third parties and a company with resources out the ass, could certainly find a way to make that work too -- make a profit on these games and build more fan loyalty and support.

svenuce

Two Words:

Hellgate: London

Please STFU about Namco USA now. Them signing Flagship was one of the smartest moves of all time.

Shouta

Bebpo said:
Cutting voice out of all the skits in Abyss like ToS, except Abyss has a lot more skits than ToS so it's even worse this time around. In the Tales games, the skits are where 98% of the character development is. If Tales games had no skits they'd be like 8-bit rpgs with a group of heroes going from A->B->C-Final Boss. The skits make the casts likeable and make the adventures enjoyable, especially since the story in most Tales games is kinda ho-hum, the skits are far more important than the plot (though Abyss's plot is pretty solid) IMO. When you take the voice out AND don't change the auto-scrolling (because it thinks the voice is still there) so you have to slowly wait for the lines to change...you kill the skits and most people will skip the majority of them and complain about the cast/writing.

Tales is huge in Japan because it pulls together the best voice actors in the industry and give an adventure full of tons and tons of excellent voiced dialogues that are more entertaining than most anime. Taking them out for the US release, is basically taking out a major selling point of the game.

This begs the question, "Why don't the Tales teams start integrating character development into the story?". The skits are where the personality comes out, the story should be where the development is like in Legendia, Destiny II, and Symphonia (more or less).

Oh and Namco sux.

ethelred

svenuce said:
Two Words:

Hellgate: London

Please STFU about Namco USA now. Them signing Flagship was one of the smartest moves of all time.

Nope. Hometek is an abomination of a company which repeatedly and thoroughly shits over anyone that would have the gall to attempt to be a fan of the games they unceremoniously dump here from Japan.

Error

is not about Namco's games, is about the poor decisions from Namco USA.

Im still bitter about no V&B I mean really.

ethelred

Error2k4 said:
is not about Namco's games, is about the poor decisions from Namco USA.

Im still bitter about no V&B I mean really.

Look at it this way, Error..

Hometek took a look at Venus & Braves and spent the money they would have used to localize/publish it to instead fund the development of Sigma Star Saga.

Error

ethelred said:
Look at it this way, Error..

Hometek took a look at Venus & Braves and spent the money they would have used to localize/publish it to instead fund the development of Sigma Star Saga.
frustration-thumb.jpg

A Black Falcon said:
Every major Japanese publisher makes a whole lot of games that they never release anywhere else, and frequently censor some of the ones that do get released here... Namco is hardly doing anything special in that regard, that's for sure.
Namco US is honestly one of the worst offenders though. Between them making lame arbitrary decisions on what gets localized and how it gets localized and not even allowing another publisher to pick up one of their Jp rejections, the bashing is quite warranted, imo.

The fact that Mr Driller Drill Land is not in the U.S. is a ****ing crime.

Beezy

Hunter D said:
Besides the tales games and tekken tag and 5 what other good games have namco made this gen?

...are you serious? Tekken Tag isn't even the best fighting game they made this gen.

Btw, I didn't even know about Venus & Braves before I read this thread. Now I'm pissed because I'll never get to play it. :(

Top Bottom