• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't they move E3 back to Atlanta?

CO_Andy

People often describe Atlanta as a place of cultural exchange... or a swamp. Anybody have any fond memories of E3 back in 98?

Bloodwake

It would be closer to me, making it easier to weasel my way in.

However, they took out the retail store representatives this year, so I am screwed regardless.

Dante

because it fuckin sucked when they had it there. Hot as hell. and most of the companies are on the west coast anyways.

cvxfreak

I hope it stays in LA. It's close enough for me.

I'm also sure Japanese industry workers wouldn't want to go all the way to Atlanta. Doubt there are any direct flights and such.

Teddman

Most of the companies are near L.A. or in California, it's closer to Japan (nonstop flight), and the exhibitors' booth elements are re-used each year and often stored nearby the Convention Center. Plus they get a discount by booking at the LACC for years at a time.

All of that would be fuxored by a move back to Atlanta...

Ark-AMN

Banned
As has been stated, most of the developers in the US are on the West Coast, and of course, the coast is as close to Japan as you can get.

Vegas, I could see E3 in, also San Francisco, though they'd have to use the entire Moscone Center, and even then I don't think there'd be enough room (unless E3 really started to curb attendance).

Marathon

Sony's DrGAKMAN
LA or SF are the only two cities that are of any relevance to the console market in the US.

People still have bitter memories of being forced to fly out to that hick town.

Atlanta SUCKED for E3 big time. It was hot as hell and I'm thinking the Japanese and European contigents hated it even more.

Now, San Francisco...

I'd kill for it to be at Moscone.

LA's the only logical place to have E3. Putting it back in Atlanta (which were the 2 worst E3s EVER) would be stupid. The industry actually wants E3 to be in LA because it's so close and convenient to majority of the companies that attend.

Atlanta - Too far for most companies, especially the Japanese ones.
Vegas - Too cramped. Ask someone who went to CES this year. I heard there was a three-hour wait for taxis at the end of each day.
Seattle - Would be nice.
San Fran - Hells yeah, if there's room for it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
God please no it takes 20 hours for me to get there, please dont make me take any longer.

Ponn

Banned
Everyone bitched when it was in Atlanta. Just about every rep from every company I talked to were more then happy to tell you how much they hated it.

element

yeah, all the major players are in the LA area, or at least the west coast. Easier for people from Japan to get there as well. I have heard nothing but horror stories about when E3 was in Atlanta. Vegas is really the only other option.

Seattle doesn't have a large enough convention space to hold something like E3.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Sucks for everyone travelling from Europe though, have to cross the entire US to reach LA. And to be honest, I personally don't like LA that much. :p

Anyway, it seems like we can rule out Atlanta, Las Vegas, Seattle...but surely there must be more cities in the US suitable for something like E3?

No.1

They should take it to Australia, that way I wouldn't have to pay for a plane ticket, well a plane ticket that wasn't so expensive.

Should make it like the Olympics. It's a special event after all.

SnowWolf said:
Quoted for ultimate truth. L.A. is the glory of the USA
yeah really, i mean, i don't mean to come off as like, LA pride dude or something, cause i don't really have any LA pride or anything, but like, it's just so obvious that this city is a bajillion times cooler than the rest in the country.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
At least in Vegas you have something to do when the tradeshow ends for the day. LA == snooozeville.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
NY > LA

LA's cool, but it's boring as hell, plus the general population sucks.

Gahiggidy said:
At least in Vegas you have something to do when the tradeshow ends for the day. LA == snooozeville.

Are you kidding me? I guess for underage folk, but I'd take the beach, the bars, and the attractions of LA over Vegas anyday. Strip clubs notwithstanding.

They're both great cities and Vegas would do an incredible job and the traffic and hotel pain in the asses would be gone, but I just love making it over to Santa Monica or Orange County, so I'd keep LA over Vegas.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Dante said:
because it fuckin sucked when they had it there. Hot as hell. and most of the companies are on the west coast anyways.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I sweated so much. It was miserable. By the time you'd get into the show you'd be drenched in sweat and then you'd freeze your tail off from the air conditioning. However, I wouldn't mind Vegas.

Dante said:
Now it's a whose city is cooler thread :)

SF FTW!

(EDIT: This is for the "coolest city" stuff, not a place to ~actually move E3.)

Austin for the win.

Great music, great food, hot chicks. But, it's hot as heck too, and it's not quite the ethic diversity you'd look for in a town, but it's is amazingly cool.

An incredible college town, with a good number of video game and industry folks.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
sonycowboy said:
Austin for the win.

Great music, great food, hot chicks. But, it's hot as heck too, and it's not quite the ethic diversity you'd look for in a town, but it's is amazingly cool.

An incredible college town, with a good number of video game and industry folks.

A couple planefuls of Japanese businessman in Austin would stick out so bad... :p That place is the center of the white universe, LOLAMIRITE?

Eggo said:
A couple planefuls of Japanese businessman in Austin would stick out so bad... :p That place is the center of the white universe, LOLAMIRITE?

:lol :lol

Uh...

Have you been to Austin

(Hint: It's not predominantly white)

svenuce

LA is fine. Atlanta sucked. SF would rock but there's no center big enough to hold it (Moscone's not even close).

CO_Andy said:
People often describe Atlanta as a place of cultural exchange... or a swamp. Anybody have any fond memories of E3 back in 98?

it should be in Chicago. that's where Summer CES was, the most important CES for videogames, the most important event in the western world for videogames.
the Winter CES in Vegas was lesser event for games.

Summer CES in Chicago was the E3 of the late 80s and early 90s.

Summer CES in Chicago, in a sense, helped to give birth to the Sony PlayStation, because at the 1991 Summer CES, that is where Nintendo stabbed Sony in the back by announcing a CD-ROM partnership with Philips, breaking the previous Sony-Nintendo agreement that went back to 1988. once this happened, or shortly after, I suspect Kutaragi started working on their own PlayStation

choplifter said:
it should be in Chicago. that's where Summer CES was, the most important CES for videogames. the Winter CES in Vegas was a lesser event. Summer CES in Chicago was the E3 of the late 80s and early 90s.

Summer CES in Chicago, in a sense, helped to give birth to the Sony PlayStation, because at the 1991 Summer CES, that is where Nintendo stabbed Sony in the back by announcing a CD-ROM partnership with Philips, breaking the previous Sony-Nintendo agreement that went back to 1988. once this happened, or shortly after, I suspect Kutaragi started working on their own PlayStation

Fuck Chicago. It's even worse of a shithole.

I love Wrigley stadium, but that city sucks, the traffic sucks (worse than LA, IMO), and it's hot as hell during the summer as well (although E3's in May, so it wouldn't actually be that hot, but that's not the point).

Yeah, let's go to Illinois!!!

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
sonycowboy said:
:lol :lol

Uh...

Have you been to Austin

(Hint: It's not predominantly white)

Ahh, my bad. My friend just moved there, and she commented that there are no people of color there at all. Also, the only type of food you can find is bbq or tex mex. Good luck finding ethnic foods.

Jesus, there are some haters in here.

I had no idea it was in ATL for a couple of years.

Y'all are complaining about the heat in May? IN MAY?? :lol

Ulairi

Banned
LA is a shithole but perfect for E3. I perfer San Fran but I don't think they have the space...it'd be a cheap trip if it were in Sanfran.

Top Bottom