• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't they move E3 back to Atlanta?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
siamesedreamer said:
Jesus, there are some haters in here.

I had no idea it was in ATL for a couple of years.

Y'all are complaining about the heat in May? IN MAY?? :lol

Not the heat so much as the humidity. When you live in LA, you're used to taking a shower once a day, not every time you open the door.

aparisi2274

I hated Atlanta. I went for all the E3's that were there, and it is a shithole that place. Its hot, sticky, dirty, and just plain crappy. I was stayin at a hotel near the conv. center, and it was just crawling with bums, and vagrants. I couldnt wait till it moved back to LA. Now I really wish it would move to Vegas, but they have a contract that they signed with the LA convention center to keep E3 for a while.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
E3 will never be anywhere other than Los Angeles. It brings huge revenue and attention to downtown, and L.A. is the only place on this side of the country with convention center space big enough to host an event that large. San Francisco might be able to squeeze E3 into the Moscone Center, but parking and accomodations (as well as moving all that material into the center for all the companies' booths) would be a nightmare from hell. Vegas has enough trouble with CES and having cabs for everyone, plus you're likely to lose attendance to the myriad other attractions in the area. E3's the only damn thing to do for a square mile radius in downtown L.A.

Being in L.A. gives it proximity to film studios (easy space for press conferences/parties/extracurricular events), celebrities for special interviews and appearances at the show, coverage by local and cable news that otherwise probably wouldn't trek to SF or Vegas, and guaranteed good weather so attendees and exhibitors aren't subjected to intense heat or pouring rain at random intervals. The location also allows for easy access to Hollywood-types, which is becoming more and more important to the industry as film adaptations continue to be made and film industry talent continues to be co-opted into game work.

Los Angeles will never be on my list of the greatest cities in the world or anything, but I can't think of a better place for E3.

Yeah, there has always been a ton of bums in the city. They had to ship them all out to Birmingham and other cities before the Olympics.

But, the area around the World Conress Center has been completely revamped with the new GA Aquarium (the biggest in the world), Phillipps Arena, and the doubling of convention floor space. Its definately improved since 1998, but I can understand why y'all have such a bad opinion of it from 8 years ago.........

PC Gaijin

Eggo said:
Ahh, my bad. My friend just moved there, and she commented that there are no people of color there at all. Also, the only type of food you can find is bbq or tex mex. Good luck finding ethnic foods.

Wtf, is your friend sheltered? Tell her to get out more. :lol

cvxfreak

San Francisco would be nice; hell, I live a few miles from it. LA isn't so bad as flights are incredibly cheap, too.

element

Gahiggidy said:
At least in Vegas you have something to do when the tradeshow ends for the day. LA == snooozeville.
My first E3, it was pretty boring. But the last couple years have been more of 'what do i not want to do tonight', as I get more friends at other companies. There is ALWAYS something to do each night after E3.

Jeff-DSA

I would stop going to E3 if they moved it back to Atlanta. All 3 times that I've been to Atlanta it's been a crappy experience, and the humidity doesn't help. Right now LA is just fine, but if they were to move it, Las Vegas or Seattle are about the only other places I'd be happy about.

Chi-Town

sonycowboy said:
Fuck Chicago. It's even worse of a shithole.

I love Wrigley stadium, but that city sucks, the traffic sucks (worse than LA, IMO), and it's hot as hell during the summer as well (although E3's in May, so it wouldn't actually be that hot, but that's not the point).

Maybe not today, maybe not tommorow, but one day and it shall come, I will get my revenge :)

BMAN

Warm Machine said:
If only Vancouver's convention center was large enough.
Vancouver would be the best. I know that Vancouver's convention center isn't large enough but after the 2010 olympics Iam sure that one of the new convention centers will be large enough.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
No E3 at Las Vegas, plz. There's too much glitz and shit with E3 already.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It wasn't the heat, or the humidity - it was the infrastructure, the service and most of all, the attitude.

Although we met some cool people and went to some cool places (no I don't mean in Buckhead) - for most of the time, people were rude, shitty and basically didn't give a fuck. And most of my colleagues had worse experiences than me. Including one girl who was punched in the face in the CNN center for no reason at all.

So much for Southern Hospitality.

Ponn

Banned
Stinkles said:
It wasn't the heat, or the humidity - it was the infrastructure, the service and most of all, the attitude.

Although we met some cool people and went to some cool places (no I don't mean in Buckhead) - for most of the time, people were rude, shitty and basically didn't give a fuck. And most of my colleagues had worse experiences than me. Including one girl who was punched in the face in the CNN center for no reason at all.

So much for Southern Hospitality.

Atlanta really isn't part of the south.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
As soon as I clicked on this thread, Marco V - Atlanta 02-02-2002 came on my playlist. ATL is an awesome city and would love to spend more time in it in the future... even though there's a pretty decent chance I'll be attending E3 all the way out in LA this year, Atlanta would be a more convenient location for me... but ideally the convention should happen in NYC. Come on, we're like the biggest city in the nation and as fellow NYC suburbanite Link1110 says it's the most important city in the world.

BMAN said:
Vancouver would be the best. I know that Vancouver's convention center isn't large enough but after the 2010 olympics Iam sure that one of the new convention centers will be large enough.

Maybe the new one going up could rival one of the main halls at E3. The current Canada Place one is about the size of Kentia Hall and a half.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I wouldn't mind having E3 in NYC (I could stay with my bro), but I got no idea where they could hold this event, I dont know of a place big enough in the city.

element

NYC make zero sense. There are really only publisher in the NYC area, and those publisher it is mostly just HR and marketing people.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ark-AMN said:
I wouldn't mind having E3 in NYC (I could stay with my bro), but I got no idea where they could hold this event, I dont know of a place big enough in the city.

That is indeed the biggest hurdle. There's places to stay, there's things to do, it's in a good general location for all, but there just isn't a large enough place to hold it, especially in/near the city.

bigfurb

Fuck the haters, ATL is a great city. The club scene is jumpin, the stripclub scene is even better, and if you're into sistas hotlanta's got dime pieces everywhere you look.

CO_Andy said:
People often describe Atlanta as a place of cultural exchange... or a swamp. Anybody have any fond memories of E3 back in 98?

No. Both years of E3 in Atlanta SUCKED. Too hot, too humid, and the venue sucked. I felt like I was going to die both times I got off the plane and had to take that tram out of the airport...I was literally dehydrated from sweating out all of my water content by the time I got on a shuttle. I don't know how you Atlantians live there. It's worse than Phoenix's heat for Chrissakes... The only cool memories about E3 there was playing Silent Hill all the time (no one knew that this was going to kick ass, it seemed) and scaring the shit outta Kenji Eno.

BMAN

Warm Machine said:
Maybe the new one going up could rival one of the main halls at E3. The current Canada Place one is about the size of Kentia Hall and a half.
Maybe it could be hosted in the Wall tower or in Shangri-La when it goes up.

The E3s in Atlanta sucked..it was WAY too fucking hot. And Atlanta is only a happening scene if you are black or gay. There really isn't much of a scene if you are in any other category.

xsarien

daedsiluap
You may as well have the Oscars in Kansas City.

The great majority of publishers, developers, and gaming media are located somewhere in California. It just makes sense to put it as close to as many of them as possible.

olimario

Banned
LA was disgusting. I don't ever plan on going back.
They should E3 in a nice part of a nice city. I wouldn't mind Atlanta. I like Atlanta.

bumpkin

CO_Andy said:
People often describe Atlanta as a place of cultural exchange... or a swamp. Anybody have any fond memories of E3 back in 98?
You just want it in Atlanta because you live in or near it, right?

It was awesome when I lived in Southern California; twas a short jot down the 101 for me. :D

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i live in la, and one of the reasons i kinda wish it was in another city is because the temptation is too great. its a 15 min ride by way of the blue line from my house and it annoys me to pass the convention center in may. But the out of towners seem to love coming down here for some reaso. so maybe thats why they keep it here.....

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
olimario said:
LA was disgusting. I don't ever plan on going back.
They should E3 in a nice part of a nice city. I wouldn't mind Atlanta. I like Atlanta.

Have you actually been to Atlanta? LA and Atlanta are about equal on the Disgust-O-Meter.

monchi-kun said:
E3 needs to go to Vegas

AMEN to that. CES was great in Vegas; the monorail rides straight from the convention center to the entire strip.

Other than that there was STUFF TO DO (gambling, buffets, arcades, theaters, clubs) after the convention that didn't involve dodging crazies and eating at California Pizza Kitchen 24/7.

The hotels are awesome and there's plenty of price points to choose from. LA Hotels are crap and most above-average joints are pre-booked by corporate.

I live near LA, but I'd drive the 3.5 hours for E3 in sin city any day.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Eggo said:
Ahh, my bad. My friend just moved there, and she commented that there are no people of color there at all. Also, the only type of food you can find is bbq or tex mex. Good luck finding ethnic foods.

yeah, your friend moved to West Campus. There are large middle eastern and asian populations in the city and a ton of ethnic foods (well, mostly middle eastern or Indian foods, but hey, they count). I think Whites still outnumber hispanics, but its close. Black population is decent but shrinking, have no idea why.

Our convention center is also in the dead center of the wharehouse/6th street areas and there is a TON of good food all around it, and a TON of bars. The only problem is its like 1/5th the size of LA's convention center, as hot as Atlanta and the humidity would have developers dropping like flies.. plus May = Tornadoes, those seem to scare people not from the area.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Not that it could happen, but Toronto's Convention Center could easily host E3. Especially with the underground bunkers that run alongside the CN Tower.

cvxfreak

Wink said:
Bring it to Europe, that's like much more the middle of the world going after the longitude :lol

A rough look at a map indicates that the distance from the west coast to Europe is a little bit smaller than from Europe to Japan. :lol

CO_Andy said:

Yes. 1998 was awesome! It was the second of the two E3 years and the best one of the two.

The World Congress Center was cool in that it had all the vendors in the same hall AND the CNN Center across the street had all kinds of places to eat. I HATE the fact that the surrounding areas of the LACC and Staples have no places to eat.....

Mr_Furious said:
LA's the only logical place to have E3. Putting it back in Atlanta (which were the 2 worst E3s EVER) would be stupid. The industry actually wants E3 to be in LA because it's so close and convenient to majority of the companies that attend.

Furious, you are insane. Atlanta 97-98 were pretty cool. Sega party in 97, too cool! Maybe you don't get how to have a good time outside of the LA site.... ; )

Speevy

Banned
I don't have any special place in my heart for Atlanta, but it's not that hot here in Georgia. Good grief. Babies.

Speevy said:
I don't have any special place in my heart for Atlanta, but it's not that hot here in Georgia. Good grief. Babies.
When all you do is work in climate-controlled offices, with a very low amount of outside exposure, as a game dev or as a gamer, going outside into that hot and humid environment is a shock to the system, to say the least.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
ryutaro's mama said:
I HATE the fact that the surrounding areas of the LACC and Staples have no places to eat.....

Meh, just walk down Figueroa and go to the Taco Bell or McDonalds or whatever other quick places to eat are down there. It's not that far.

Jewbacca

Banned
Eggo said:

LOL your friend is sooo wrong. Go down the strip on Guadalupe you have Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai food, Mexican Food, Every fast food resturant, I mean you name it it has it... if you drive up oltorf rd and take a left on Lamar you will find every resturant you can possibly imagine.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
typo said:
Or Toronto.

Moving E3 to the Toronto Convention Center would own my face. I grew up just outside Toronto, and spent a lot of time in the area for computer conventions and the CNE.

Fuck yes. Move E3 to Toronto.

TheTrin said:
Moving E3 to the Toronto Convention Center would own my face. I grew up just outside Toronto, and spent a lot of time in the area for computer conventions and the CNE.

Fuck yes. Move E3 to Toronto.

Not gonna happen,

Either way I don't care wherever it goes:

I'm going this year. Also: I'm so damn happy that retail stores clerks get the boot this year.

Top Bottom