• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why? Just Why? Metroid Other M hits Wii U VC tomorrow

night814

Has Adam authorized this?
Amazing

The gameplay isn't awful but it's far from great and the story and cut scenes just murder the game as a whole. I wouldn't mind a new Metroid that played like this without the Wii mote aiming and way better camera control.

On the brightside, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon also comes out tomorrow for Wii U VC

Now this I can get behind

Will buy

It's a great Metroid game. You haters need to shut up about it.

Please tell us more about your objective and factual opinion.

∀ Narayan;226211102 said:
7983786749_213006f1bd_o.gif

lmao perfect

KarmaCow

I've never played a Metroid game, is this a good starting point?

Ignoring how bad the game is, I'd say no. For as sparse as the Metroid story tends to be over the series, Other M not only has the most focus on the narrative, the story also assumes you are aware of the franchise including events that didn't actually occur in any of the games but in instruction booklets and Japan only mangas. It's very un-Nintendo in that regard.

DedValve

Banned
I've never played a Metroid game, is this a good starting point?

Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission for the 2d games (and also the fan remake of 2 if you can get your hands on it)

Metroid Prime Trilogy (which is also on VC) for 3d games.

Basically you have everything you need on WiiU VC for your Metroid experience except the fangame. Other M is not what you need.

KingBroly

Banned
What kind of title is that? Don't buy it.

Metroid fans are the worst, they don't deserve Metroid.

It's an accurate one. Other M is the worst Nintendo game ever made when you consider the time, money and effort put into it. They had to TRY to make the game that bad, and did.

I actually liked a lot of elements of this game, but I just couldn't get past the missile aiming thing. It was so awkward and dumb.

Also, WTF at that price when the disc is $7-10 in bargain bins everywhere.

If you could skip the cutscenes it's a below average action game that's moderately enjoyable...or at least that's how I remember it before playing some really ace action games lately.

ReitStuff

┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) I don't think Other M
┳┻|⊂ノ is that bad
┻┳|

Garlador

I've said my piece on this game, multiple times.

My most hated game of all time. I loathe it with a burning passion that consumes a thousand suns.

I hope Metroid gets better.

kunonabi

I don't buy Wii VC games but I might make an exception for this. I already have US and JPN copies for my Wii but a download copy might come in handy anyway.

Jay RaR

Why? Motion controls are amazing in those games

I'm fine with the motion controls, its just that I find it a bit greedy for Nintendo to ask the consumer to buy extra last gen hardware before playing their game. If they can retool the first 2 Prime games with motion controls, I don't see why they could make normal controls for the 3rd game and have both normal and motion controls available for the collection.

rekameohs

Banned
I this game actually that bad, or is this the usual Gaf hyperbole machine in action because of a funky story?
It's very bad. It has impressive animations, but is marred by a horrendous control scheme, with a single button insta-dodge that trivializes everything, D-Pad movement in a 3D world, awkward first person moments, terrible pixel hunts in first person mode, and extremely gated level design. It's already a bad game by gameplay standards, then the story brings it to somewhere around the nadir of Nintendo's published titles.

I this game actually that bad, or is this the usual Gaf hyperbole machine in action because of a funky story?

It's, at best, a very mediocre action game with some badly thought-through controls and level design. The gameplay isn't straight up awful, but it's not even close to enough to save the game.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
If you saw Buddy Holly's plane crash, would you pay to see it crash again

what would Adam do

Story is legit shit-tier. Gameplay is fine though. It's actually pretty fun, except for some shitty "find the pixel" moments. Game would vastly improve in quality if there was an option to skip cutscenes.

Pack it up boys, Wii U is officially dead as of tomorrow. Get ye trade in deal whilst ye can. End is Nigh, Time of Judgement gets closer every second.

Look forward to Another M on Switch.

Calling Wii games VC is technically correct I guess, but it's a little disingenuous. For all intents and purposes, it's a digital release of a Wii game. It boots and runs the game natively in Wii mode.

$20 (generally speaking, not necessarily for Other M) is a fair price for a Wii game.

We need a safe space for all these Other Manbabies, a place where they will no longer be emotionally traumatized by the existence of a video game.

Like Sector Zero.

Effect

Dunno about $20, I'd maybe pay $10. Game was flawed but still enjoyable, cringeworthy dialog aside.

For $10 I'd buy just to have it in the collection. Even then that's pushing it. I'm not spending $20 on this though. Like said $20 is a decent price for Wii games. Not Other M though.

Phil Fish

Banned
"Whoa Samus... it looks like you're getting absolutely REKT. Here, seeing as how you're on the brink of death, let me go ahead and activate "this" upgrade to help you fend off this new creature."

It still baffles me how an FPS based metroid game did the grappling beam and screw attack infinitely better than it did in an action game developed by Team Ninja of all people. This game exists only to show how much of a masterpiece Metroid Prime is.

Top Bottom