• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why? Just Why? Metroid Other M hits Wii U VC tomorrow

Neff

Still my fave Wii game. Still my #2 Metroid game. Happy American eShop day, Metroid Other M!

Will you people calm down? It's just a bad Metroid game.

It's striking that someone would be so addicted to disliking something that they'd start a thread about it with a mildly news-worthy pretense for the thrill of complaining about it all over again.

Other M actually isn't that bad of a game

The hate it gets is kind of ridiculous

It's mostly the same group of guys on NeoGAF, and often. One of them has a spider avatar. It's very much overblown.

MoM's gameplay is like a sick joke. It's literally the worst Nintendo game ever made.

Agreed. Urban Champion is way better.

On the brightside, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon also comes out tomorrow for Wii U VC

Shadow dragon was also a low point for that series to the point where they didn't even localise the direct seque

Not a good week for vc releases I guess.

I don't see the problem though. It's not like they wasted dev time on this instead of another game, and most if not all the other metroid titles are already released so it wasn't prioritised over better games.

Lazaro

Someone should mod the game and remove voice overs and some cutscenes. I bet that will somehow make the game more fun.

Koodo

Banned
The other day I made the mistake of watching a couple of cutscenes on youtube, just out of morbid curiosity. I had blocked out the majority of this game and now I regret not keeping it that way.

I unironically love this game. It's not perfect by any means, the controls could be much better and the story is garbage, but some cutscenes are great, the action is mechanically fantastic, visuals are incredible at 60 fps for Wii and overall it's just a great translation of the 2D Metroid physics into 3D.

It's absolutely one of the worse Metroid games, but that's on account of Metroid being comprised almost exclusively of masterpieces (and the shit story), not on Other M being a horrible game. I don't think I've seen any other game suffer from this degree of hyperbole. I've seen some people treat Skyward Sword similarly (which is even more unfair) but nowhere near as many people.

N.Grim

I'm fine with the motion controls, its just that I find it a bit greedy for Nintendo to ask the consumer to buy extra last gen hardware before playing their game. If they can retool the first 2 Prime games with motion controls, I don't see why they could make normal controls for the 3rd game and have both normal and motion controls available for the collection.
It's a Wii game

Jebusman

Banned
Pros of Other M:

I guess the post game boss was kind of cool

Cons/Misc of Other M:

Pixel hunts
1st person missile mode
The Baby
Remember Me?
Bioweapons
How Samus reacts to
Ridley
Wait isn't this essentially a shittier Fusion?

That's about all I remember about Other M.

In terms of gameplay I would've given it a 6/10.

In terms of story I would've given it a -2/10, so overall I'd say it's a 4/10.

dankir

Still can't believe this was the last official Metroid game we got. What about Dread? New Prime entry?

Come on Nintendo....

tkscz

Other M plays like a fun action game, but a terrible Metroid style adventure game. The majority of the game you are told where to go and the times you can split off the path, you still feel like you're being lead through from point A to point B. Rarely do you need to come back to an area you couldn't get to because you didn't have the right item and when you do, you're pretty much at that point when you get the item, as the space station is a circle. Exploration was sacrificed for a story that wasn't even good. To this day I hate when people say it plays more like Super Metroid than the Prime series does. No, no it does not. It jumps like Super Metroid, but that's it.

Opa-Pa

I could swear this was already available, but I guess it was only in Europe? Either way, cool, it's a must buy for anyone interested in studying bad game design and writing for sure.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
That Sonic '06 comparison has to be some of the most ridiculous hyperbole I've seen in some time.

Sonic '06 is straight up broken. Unfinished.

It's okay to dislike Other M but at least it's a completed, solidly build game. It's not constantly on the edge of collapsing on itself at a moment's notice.

That Sonic '06 comparison had to be some of the most ridiculous hyperbole I've seen in some time.

It's okay to dislike Other M but at least it's a completed, solidly build game. It's not constantly on the edge of collapsing on itself at a moment's notice.
At least Sonic still has games coming out.

Metroid Other M is the game that buried the Metroid franchise. The only game we've gotten in six years is a cheap handheld squad shooter spinoff.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
At least Sonic still has games coming out.

Metroid Other M is the game that buried the Metroid franchise. The only game we've gotten in six years is a cheap handheld squad shooter spinoff.

Well yeah, that's because Sega has fuck-all left in franchises to sell to us, so it's Sonic or nothing. (Or rather, that they CARE to sell to us...they're sitting on some of the lucrative IP in Gaming history and doing nothing with it.)

Metroid isn't dead, it's just in hibernation. Samus will be back someday.

RK128

That Sonic '06 comparison has to be some of the most ridiculous hyperbole I've seen in some time.

I will just say this; when Sonic 06 has a better story then your game (Other M), then you know you got issues. And I am a Sonic fan who found good bits in the shit for 06......so I mean, if I feel 06 has a better story then Other M and had more fun playing 06 over Other M, then something is very wrong.

I don't even hate other M honestly. It's core gameplay is perfectly fine and if they gutted the story, added more exploration-focused level design and had a traditional controller option, it could be grow into a really fun game. But the story is a giant mass that ruins everything the game tries to accomplish for me, even if it is quite polished despite it's issues.

I'm sorry if my thoughts are irrational or whatever, but I honestly feel 06 is a better game then Other M in a few areas.

They are not all terrible...That opening cut scene with the end of Super Metroid is hype af.

It looks pretty, but it honestly lacks the heart of that scene in SM, with the lame lines from Samus ("Why am I still alive? The baby...." give me a break) and the cheesy anime music playing over it. There's just nothing subtle about it.

theclaw135

Banned
I actually liked a lot of elements of this game, but I just couldn't get past the missile aiming thing. It was so awkward and dumb.

Also, WTF at that price when the disc is $7-10 in bargain bins everywhere.

Those were discounts by third-party retailers. Nintendo never lowered its physical MSRP from $50.

other M is the best game in the series, apart from the prime trilogy.

Other M is the best game in the series, apart from Super Metroid, the Prime series, Zero Mission, Fusion and the original.

It's better than Federation Force, I'll give you that.

EDIT: And for the record, I don't think Other M is horrendous, just very average and forgettable with a ridiculous story.

Well yeah, that's because Sega has fuck-all left in franchises to sell to us, so it's Sonic or nothing. (Or rather, that they CARE to sell to us...they're sitting on some of the lucrative IP in Gaming history and doing nothing with it.)

Metroid isn't dead, it's just in hibernation. Samus will be back someday.

Yeah they axed the SoR remake and reduced Shinobi to a handheld thing. At least Toe Jam and Earlet and Shenmue 3 are kickstarted.

I actually did not think Other M was that bad. I would have given it a 6 or 7. Decent action game. Not the adventure ppl were expecting.

Too bad Nintendo axed the Metroid 2 remake. That's the only Metroid game I have not played.

I truly enjoyed playing this game. I would rather replay it than the first Metroid any day. Thankfully on successive playthroughs you can skip the terrible cutscenes, but frankly I think most video game stories are just as bad.

gafneo

Banned
Because neogaf isn't the only place in the world that has opinions. The rest of the non-forum world seems to be OK with games not being 100 percent hype fullfillments.

MacTag

Banned
Other M's not great but the post-game is pretty easily the best representation of Metroid movement, feel and control in 3D imo. It's just a shame about the segmented, linear, awkward, conflicting and sometimes embarrassing 8 or so hours it took to get there.

I'd really like to see Sakamoto and Team Ninja take another stab at it. Their next game could potentially be the Zero Mission to Other M's Fusion.

Anteo

Its extremely hard to get cheap physical games on my country. I got this for like $8. Still a waste of time and money

Kthulhu

Because neogaf isn't the only place in the world that has opinions. The rest of the non-forum world seems to be OK with games not being 100 percent hype fullfillments.

The game is almost universally hated. It is know for being shit.

They are not all terrible...That opening cut scene with the end of Super Metroid is hype af.

It'd be great if Samus's voice wasn't awful. Why didn't Nintendo use the VA from the Prime games and Smash?

Not only is that cutscenes terrible (the voice acting and monologue make it the worst), but it is in fact so terrible that it retroactively makes Super Metroid worse. In this sense it's one of the worst cutscenes in an already infinitely awful game.

Not only is that cutscenes terrible (the voice acting and monologue make it the worst), but it is in fact so terrible that it retroactively makes Super Metroid worse. In this sense it's one of the worst cutscenes in an already infinitely awful game.

Why stop there? It retroactively makes me wish Nintendo never existed.

Top Bottom