• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why? Just Why? Metroid Other M hits Wii U VC tomorrow

KHlover

Banned
I actually really enjoyed Other M but $20 is a bit steep for a VC game IMO.
Nah, it's an ok price - usually. Other M can be gotten new for like $3 tho, so $20 is pretty steep.

OT:

Thinking about buying this to show my support for another 3rd person Metroid action game.

It's okay. Nothing special. Don't buy it if you don't want it. Think twice before you buy it. You may not like it. But you also may actually like it. But it's okay.

"Whoa Samus... it looks like you're getting absolutely REKT. Here, seeing as how you're on the brink of death, let me go ahead and activate "this" upgrade to help you fend off this new creature."

thats the thing I hated the most, think I avoided this area because I kept dying x didn't want to go in and die
then this dummy contacts me and unlocks the upgrade, fuuuuuuu

I still remember I got $20 for pre ordering from amazon, $40 trade in after I beat the game so I was paid $10 to play the game lol

BiggNife

Other M actually isn't that bad of a game

The hate it gets is kind of ridiculous

The story is absolutely horseshit but the game itself is fine. It is pretty fun to traverse the different areas because it captures the speed of the 2d games in a way the prime series didn't.

Vinnk

Do I need to use a Wii Remote or can I use the gamepad? Never played this one and willing to give it a chance if I can play it Off-TV.

Regiruler

I'm curious enough in a post-mortem sort of way to pick this up, as gameplay I've seen looks fun enough, but I can probably find the physical version for beans somewhere.
Do I need to use a Wii Remote or can I use the gamepad? Never played this one and willing to give it a chance if I can play it Off-TV.

From what I gather there was never classic controller support, so I doubt it.

VDenter

Banned
I would say this is easily the worst Metroid game if it weren't for Federation Force. I dont think it worth buying even for 10 bucks. It had too many flaws even beyond the terrible narrative.

Kilvas

Only game ever that literally made me upset at how stupid it was written. I'll never forget needing permission to use the cooling feature on your suit after running around in the lava area. Why would they even write that? I thought I could avoid the bad story, but something tied in to the gameplay like that just made me rage. Pixel hunting was also just the dumbest thing.

Y'know. It's funny how people think the game is literal garbage when things like Anubis 2 exist. It's a decent game. Nothing special, and it's not that great of a Metroid game. But calling is garbage is literally laughable. 5 or 6/10 maybe. I'll take average on the core gameplay alone. But honestly, it's far from a horrible game. Lmao.

Menitta

Im sorry what?

Sonic 06 is busted on a level that you could get enjoyment out of how terrible it is. You can't do that with Other M

My issue with Other M is that it was a forgettable game, Metroid name aside. I'd rather it be a 10 or a 0. It's a 5 and I hate that.

Edit: this is my opinion.

Meesh

Is it too much to hope this is a "primer" for a Switch Metroid sequal or HD re-release???....

...I'm asking too much...

Oh come on, why not Radiant Dawn?

You'll actually have buyers with that one.

I have no problem with Other M personally but we know no one is going to buy it.

TunaLover

Off-TV is only available to games that use classic controller, in Other M you make use of the pointer and motion detection (Wiimote upwards to refill your energy)

I'm a pretty big Metroid fan. I know Other M doesn't measure up to the Prime games or Super Metroid, but I think it's a decent Metroid game. I agree nunchuck control would have been better, but the actual adventure in the game was satisfying enough for me.

Azuran

Banned
Metroid fans are quite frankly the most embarrassing fanbase in all of gaming. This thread is a perfect example of that.

"Oh noes, they rereleasing a Metroid game so more people can play it... Fuck Nintendo for doing that!"

Garlador

Metroid fans are quite frankly the most embarrassing fanbase in all of gaming. This thread is a perfect example of that.

"Oh noes, they rereleasing a Metroid game so more people can play it... Fuck Nintendo for doing that!"

I certainly never said that. By all means, they have every right to release it and I acknowledge some people even enjoy the game.

... I'm not one of those people and I make no bones about Other M being my most detested and hated game I've ever experienced.

It's possible to be okay with a VC release and still hate every single facet of the game from top to bottom.

Phil Fish

Banned

And all because they did a C&D of AM2R. All because Nintendo did what they were supposed to do as a business, which was shield their IP.

AmyS

I never played Metroid Other M, but last week I purchased Metroid Prime Trilogy and also Super Metroid on Wii Virtual Console.

TunaLover

I'm sure there are people in this thread that isn't even a Metroid fan or care about the franchise or has played this game, but the irrational hate towards M:OM is so widespread and accepted that make it an easy target to "I hate it too" kind of post.

Anth0ny

they're re-releasing a piece of garbage

indeed, fuck nintendo for doing that

Garlador

I'm sure there are people in this thread that isn't a Metroid fan or care about the franchise or has played this game, but the irrational hate towards M:OM is so widespread that make it an easy target to "I hate it too" kind of post.

To clarify, I think my hate for Other M is quite rational. I've had a long, long time to analyze precisely why I didn't like the game - why I actually outright detest it - and I think my reasons are quite sound.

clemenx

Banned
This game was meh for me before seeing all the internet extreme hate it gets. Now it's endearing to me lol.

Wouldn't really replay it tho.

Effect

"Whoa Samus... it looks like you're getting absolutely REKT. Here, seeing as how you're on the brink of death, let me go ahead and activate "this" upgrade to help you fend off this new creature."

It still baffles me how an FPS based metroid game did the grappling beam and screw attack infinitely better than it did in an action game developed by Team Ninja of all people. This game exists only to show how much of a masterpiece Metroid Prime is.

The problem wasn't Team Ninja. It was Yoshio Sakamoto that decided how this game was designed. He wanted just the Wii remote sides ways. If it was up to Team Ninja we'd have gotten an significantly more playable and enjoyable game.

Adapting Other M's version of Samus AND Zero Suit Samus(hence the heels), pushing memorabilia of Other M and now this shows that Nintendo seems pretty oblivious to the game's notoriety.

KarmaCow

I mean, I hate the game... but why not?

It's more that the most Nintendo has done for either the 25th or 30th anniversary is try to wipe AM2R, prop up Federation Force after the Other M, and this. I'm not seriously angry or annoyed by this since it's just a VC release and the other games are already up there (the price is hilarious though) but it's the rotten cherry on top of the shit sundae. It's almost worse than nothing since they seem to not understand why people like the series and are hoping to transform into something entirely different.

IrishNinja

If only it used the nunchuck, the actual game would be fine to play.

not gonna lie, it'd still be a massive dropoff from the Prime series, but at least the acrobatics they were going for wouldn't feel broken. i imagine i actually would've finished it with this option.

Parfait

I'd rather play Sonic 06 again than Other M again

hqgmeT2.gif

why you lyin

MoM was really fun, gameplay wise. It had it's issues like the missiles, but I still beat the heck out of that game. Yeah, the story was bad, but the amount of hyperbole over this game is amazing

hqgmeT2.gif

why you lyin

MoM was really fun, gameplay wise. It had it's issues like the missiles, but I still beat the heck out of that game. Yeah, the story was bad, but the amount of hyperbole over this game is amazing
MoM's gameplay is like a sick joke. It's literally the worst Nintendo game ever made.

KingBroly

Banned
why you lyin

I'm not. It doesn't mean I think Sonic 06 is a good game. I think it's horrible and broken. But because it's so horrible and broken, it's obvious where the canyons of problems are, and can be and should be used as a teaching tool for all aspiring game developers, not only in terms of poor coding, but physics, level structure, enemy design, combat design, etc. It's the Total Package of Shit.

After playing Other M...you really want to take a cold shower it's so bad. It's unrewarding, unsatisfying, dull, mind-numbingly easy, insulting and offensive. The fact that it's the brainchild of one of the best and respected developers at one of best game publishers in the world makes it even worse. And that shitty sideways Wii Remote control layout infected other Nintendo games just smacks of egotism.

I've never played a Metroid game, is this a good starting point?

Not at all. It has a lot of poor design decisions that are not representative of the series and downplays many of the series' natural strengths. It also has legitimately awful writing/voice direction. For the same price you can buy the entire Prime Trilogy, widely regarded as some of the best games of all time, or for $8 you can get the definitive classic Metroid experience, Super Metroid. Zero Mission (remake of the original) and Fusion, both GBA games, are also solid picks. Any of those are good starting points since the franchise doesn't really focus heavily on an overall narrative arc (though there is one). The first two games are fun, but didn't age particularly well
though Metroid 2 has an excellent fan remake floating around

Kyuur

Its definitely the worst
besides original 1/2, haven't played Fed Force
Metroid game but its not bad by any means. The pixel hunts were probably the worst part, also
the random ass power bomb required for Queenie

Top Bottom