• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony hasn't shown the PS5

Elenchus

Banned
MS has shown us an actual working product, has handed it over to DF for objective testing, and has explained their cooling.

The folks here who are demanding that fans owe Sony the same benefit of the doubt after Sony gave us a jet engine in the Pro and are inexplicably refusing to do any of the above are just being unreasonable.

Eight months till launch and nothing shown. I wonder what problems they are having.
Last time they showed the box at E3, however their initial announcement was more convincing (it has briefs tech demos).
MS has shown us an actual working product, has handed it over to DF for objective testing, and has explained their cooling.
DF is hardly objective, their analysis work is generally full of PR non-sense and hyperbole.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The PS5 marketing has been awful so far. I would say they probably just have a plan and are sticking to it, but that Cerny show reaction to Xbox tells me otherwise. I think they are still very much figuring things out and don't have a clear plan.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

Sony is really smart, since all the damage control is done by paying customers, it's like Apple cult really.
Include journalists and developers into the mix as well. The amount of people that have come out to defend PS5 in reaction to actual positive Xbox news is eye opening. I have nothing against Sony, but what have they done to gain such loyalty? Better yet, what has MS done to become so hated? It feels like everything I read is sensationalist or glaringly biased.

As companies, I am not a fan of either. I am a huge fan of Game Pass however, and services in general, and here is where Xbox has won me over.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Include journalists and developers into the mix as well. The amount of people that have come out to defend PS5 in reaction to actual positive Xbox news is eye opening. I have nothing against Sony, but what have they done to gain such loyalty? Better yet, what has MS done to become so hated? It feels like everything I read is sensationalist or glaringly biased.

As companies, I am not a fan of either. I am a huge fan of Game Pass however, and services in general, and here is where Xbox has won me over.

They keep using the top clock speeds to calculate the gap.

Most aren’t reporting the speeds are variable and almost none are reporting that the CPU and GPU clocks cannot run at max speed simultaneously.

One must be throttled in service to the other. It’s essentially a misdirection campaign at this point.

I’m guessing that was the point of coming out with a half finished system with no box, no demos, no details, etc.

Doesn’t appear to be working to well however so the question is what will they try next?

Three

Because you’re explaining the console’s capabilities and none of the performance numbers being quoted will hold without proper cooling.

If Cerny was not going to present a working box with a power cord and an on-switch, he could at least present a complete plan for one.

This is a particular issue for him as well because the cooling solution he engineered for PS4 failed. He had a second bite at the apple with Pro and failed again.

So if I were a dev I’d want more than lofty power point slides before I wrap my project plan around his unproven promises.
What hogwash how did he fail developers with the PS4 cooling and how did it affect developers? Also he didn't even work on the cooling solution he only had a given TDP and others worked on a cooling solution.

He said sustained clocks and there is no reason for him to show how cooling works when he described how the system works for devs already.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

One must be throttled in service to the other. It’s essentially a misdirection campaign at this point.
This and all the DirectX functions they are recreating are going to impact 3rd party game development negatively.

Last edited:
Well I was told you shouldn't be worried about that.
Just buy their products.
Stop being facetious.
The situation was the same with the PS4 and XB1. Nothing shown till E3 for either. Why was that not an issue, but all of a sudden this generation its a huge problem.

Filippos

Banned

Really makes me wonder, how trustworthy are the reviews by those then? Is this maybe a reason why Sony games are so highly rated? Because honestly a lot of Sony games are kinda overrated IMHO

Elenchus

Banned
What hogwash how did he fail developers with the PS4 cooling and how did it affect developers? Also he didn't even work on the cooling solution he only had a given TDP and others worked on a cooling solution.

He said sustained clocks and there is no reason for him to show how cooling works when he described how the system works for devs already.

Cerny could have told us that PS5’s clock speeds will vary between point X and point Y but he failed to do that didn’t he?

He only gave the top end number and a half explanation about it down clocking under certain workloads.

Well Cerny can’t possibly know the max workload of every next gen game so he cannot know how low those clocks will drop unless there is a floor beneath which the clocks cannot drop.

Is there a floor? I don’t know.You don’t know.

But that’s precisely why DF poses the question below I’m guessing so to pretend he gave a full explanation is nonsense.

Pq0heRr.png

Three

Cerny could have told us that PS5’s clock speeds will vary between point X and point Y but he failed to do that didn’t he?

He only gave the top end number and a half explanation about it down clocking under certain workloads.

Well Cerny can’t possibly know the max workload of every next gen game so he cannot know how low those clocks will drop unless there is a floor beneath which the clocks cannot drop.

But that’s precisely why DF poses the question below I’m guessing so to pretend he gave a full explanation is nonsense.

Pq0heRr.png
You're shifting the argument. What has this got to do with the cooling solution?
Ever heard of smartshift? Constant power to the APU would not change that.

Th caps are upper limits. There are no lower limits and there would be no reason to even care. That would be on the devkits anyhow and the dev sets the performance profile on PS5 smartshift. You're making it like they pulled the wool over devs eyes.

Elenchus

Banned
You're shifting the argument. What has this got to do with the cooling solution?
Ever heard of smartshift? Constant power to the APU would not change that.

Th caps are upper limits. There are no lower limits and there would be no reason to even care. That would be on the devkits anyhow and the dev sets the performance profile on PS5 smartshift. You're making it like they pulled the wool over devs eyes.

Im not shifting anything. My argument is simple. Cerny owed us either a complete physical box on a table or a complete plan for one. We’re not required accept his promises on blind faith alone. So I’ll believe it when I see it and not before then.

LordKasual

Banned
They keep using the top clock speeds to calculate the gap.

Most aren’t reporting the speeds are variable and almost none are reporting that the CPU and GPU clocks cannot run at max speed simultaneously.

I’m guessing that was the point of coming out with a half finished system with no box, no demos, no details, etc.

Doesn’t appear to be working to well however so the question is what will they try next?

It doesn't work like this, and you don't know what you're talking about.

LordKasual

Banned

He told us the moment he showed us the max clock speeds. You just don't understand how the technology works and are making nonsensical assumptions.

It was a full explanation. You just didn't understand it. There's a very specific reason he gave a "capped number". It's because the clocks are designed to increase speed based on CURRENT LOAD, and downclock whenever the load requires less than the current clock speed.

It's always ramping up and down. That's why it's "variable", and that's why he had to specify a cap. To a GPU that aims to only use as much as it needs, the cap is the only thing that really matters.

this is also why he said "it's never going to be at 3.5/2.23" because of course it wouldn't, that would assume it's running a game that is literally ALWAYS using 100% of its CPU and GPU power.

But CPU and GPU are rarely maxed out at the same time and in the same situation, meaning that when one is needed more than the other, the lesser donates the remainder of its budget to "overclock" the other....to a max of 3.5/2.23.

We know exactly how much it will drop because the system is on a fixed power budget, and thus is very predictable for performance and cooling.

In scenarios where something is maxed and cannot donate, he gave a number of 2% reduction in frequency for 10% reduction in power, which is pretty miniscule.

2% isn't nearly enough to make a significant difference, so for all intents and purposes, the maximum running frequency of the system is 3.5/2.23 +-2% by component.

If you understood how any of this worked, you would understand why this question is stupid.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
As funny as it will be for a giant like Sony to have problems, I struggle to believe they have any.

Sony didn't show the PS5 because they didn't want to. They have a plan on how to market this thing and they are following that.

Bankai

Answer: because the power is so awesome, the raytraced reflections on the device would blind us mere mortals.

Also, SSD.

Mista

Banned
They’ll reveal it this year in one way or another. Maybe they’re planning for a special event or maybe they have already set a date for the reveal.

People need to be patient, we’re talking about Playstation here. They’re giants at the end of the day not some kind of a half assed company

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Because they're still shocked of how revolutionary (according to Gaf) the SSD is 😳😳
This makes sense. Sony hasn't shown the PS5 because they are shocked by the SSD that they put in the system themselves, but didn't know was good until they read posts on neogaf, which has kept them from showing the console ever since due to their shock of how good it is confirmed to be by the posts they read here.

well most people with common sense understand this panic (and virus) would have run its course by June, as every model has shown. why would they delay?

Better yet why would they delay a whole year. If anything the current situation can cause a shortage perhaps at launch but a total delay, why? China yesterdfay announce its back to normal state, everyone goes back to work. They contained the situation, are still dealing with it but not critical anymore. And that is the only country that can affect these consoles. Whats going on in Italy and Spain doesn't factor one bit. If China is ready to go, everyone is back in business.

Top Bottom