• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony hasn't shown the PS5

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I highly believe that Sony hasn't shown the PlayStation 5 Design and further Details about the PlayStation 5 until now because they are unsecure, and not as confident about their Product anymore than Microsoft are in the XBox Series X.
There are two reasons why they wouldn't show their design. A) It's not finished yet, B) it's nothing they are proud of.

Ar¢tos

I expect them to go on full ps5 marketing focus right after Ghost of Tsushima release. There is nothing to gain from doing it before that.

crobb991

Banned
am i worried they havent shown it... not particularly..

am i buying it... yes... but am i buying it day one... no not this time

Hard disagree.

PS3 was a disaster to develop for and it had a high price and launching a full year later than 360. That was its downfall so it was a self inflicted wound from Sony. The brand loyalty was still there. It just took them a number of years into that gen to eventually catch up and surpass Xbox in world wide sales. This happened despite the many mistakes Sony made during the start of PS3's life cycle.
PS4 has an install base north of 100 million. There aint a snowball's chance in hell Sony will be fucking up this launch with PS5 with anything remotely close to what they did with PS3.
The install base will grow with PS5 and they'll retain much of that 100 million user base even if they have ONLY 100 backwards compatible games on launch day.

There is nothing about everything getting reset to 0 at the start of next gen. That is pure wishful thinking.

This.

You're high.

One can only take so much disappointment at once. They are spreading it out. Smart move.

giphy.gif

What honestly would make people disappointed with the way the system looks?

Probably because they're thinking about four different designs, based on the controller buttons:

An X
A circle
A triangle
A square

I can't see them going for an X because that's Xbox's territory.

A triangle? No, that would be Triforce stuff, and be too Nintendo.

A square? Booooooooooooring!

So, that leaves us with a circle. Fishbowl PS5 FTW.

Allandor

With the situation right now (AND THE ECONOMY), I suspect the ps5 to be postponed to the end of 2021.
Well, I get why you think that, but currently the demand for home consoles is really big. With so many people in isolation e.g. the Switch is selling really really well.
Would be a good time for new home consoles. Without a vaccine the situation will be more or less the same for a year or so.
On the other hand, many people are loosing their jobs and cannot afford another console.

So it is the best and the worst time to release a console.

Thst means nothing when the next generation starts. Everything is reset, and everyone starts at 0.
Normally I would agree with you, however MS does put the emphasis on playing existing games, or releasing games made to work on their existing hardware... With more bling. They could have called the new console Xbox XX, and add a new X on new iterations.

Sony on the other hand are going to make actual next gen games from the start (hopefully this will be games that are truly too demanding for the existing console) + the console has a bigger installed userbase that will want to use its backward compatible mode.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Great idea, Sony should release some short teaser montage with glimpse of next-gen games a week before the actual reveal to get the hype going, and then fully show the games from the teasers.
That would be awesome and you were probably being sarcastic but I think it would be great lol

Last edited:
Sony wouldn't be showing the PS5 chassis off right now, even if they had a 18.4 TFLOP behemoth which was cooled using a pocket dimension filled with liquid helium. Cause it doesn't fucking matter when we're 6+ months away from the console's actual release.
Yeah its great for console warriors and enthusiasts who spend most of their days arguing about decimal number multiplication, but for the vast majority of console gamers, its not even on the radar.

Hobbygaming

Sony's messaging the last few years has been abysmal.
Even the GDC presentation was poor quality and with little to no focus.
Complacent Sony has always been terrible for consumers and it sure looks like they're repeating the same hubris at the end of the ps2 gen.

1ai58HR.png
LOL this is nowhere near the PS3. For one, development will be way easier. Secondly, the PS5 won't be $600

pr0cs

LOL this is nowhere near the PS3. For one, development will be way easier. Secondly, the PS5 won't be $600
Maybe not but the messaging has been just as shitty.

All we need is crazy Ken to come out and reveal the ps5 and we've gone full inception.

Deto

Banned
I highly believe that Sony hasn't shown the PlayStation 5 Design and further Details about the PlayStation 5 until now because they are unsecure, and not as confident about their Product anymore than Microsoft are in the XBox Series X.

There are two reasons why they wouldn't show their design. A) It's not finished yet, B) it's nothing they are proud of.

C) I have three AAA's to promote until the middle of this year.

impressive as the bankrupt xone with MS having to talk about airflow, because there are no GAMES, it is the victory of MS for fanboys.
I would also show the SX assembly video if I have bleeding edge for xbox one.
Games? nobody cares, what matters is the value of the SX's air flow. Much less care about exclusive AAA

You may ignore this thread too if you've got nothing constructive to add instead of deliberately trolling.

Are you guys getting paid for doing this?

He does it for free, to forget the super AAA bleeding Edge

Sony:

MS:

Microsoft’s Xbox Series X Has 70% More Airflow Compared to Xbox One

Last edited:

wintersouls

They have very strong titles for this year. I think they want to focus on them, TLOU II is coming in two months. After this I suppose that by June, they will give a lecture and show it

Three

I don’t think the cooling solution is locked down. Why would you announce plans to release a console with red hot clocks and then not explain cooling? This was a GDC talk. If not there then where? Seems like they aren’t quite ready.
Why the hell would developers at GDC care how the system is cooled?

Its funny that fanboys here actually believe GAF is anything like the real world. No one is talking ray tracing. No one is talking teraflops. No one is talking SSD. People will purchase where their friends, games, and best deals go. Until you see ads for consoles with prices and REAL trailers for games. The general public dosent care.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I heard the new PS controller has a little robot hand that comes out and jerks you off when you get a trophy.

I don't understand when people say the PS5s cooling isn't finalized when at this point it should be if they want to release it during the holidays. At the moment they said there won't be a delay which is why I'm reluctant to believe that theory.

Sejan

With so much uncertainty, I don’t blame them for holding back a bit while they try to get. Better view of the situation surrounding their Intended launch window. They Amy be able to produce and ship a console in time for a November launch, but it may not be wise if we happen to be in the middle of a economic depression. I’m certain that a November launch is their intended plan at the moment, but I’m also sure that they understand that just about anything could happen between now and then.

pr0cs

How has it been shitty?
Really? You honestly think Sony's messaging has been good thus far?

• Next to no concrete information for year(s), skipping E3 and going dark for a very long time
  • Finally release some info and it's a fucking logo, nothing else
  • Release a GDC talk that looks like something a college kid would make not a billion dollar company, cringeworthy cardboard cutouts for a 'crowd', rambling discussion, confusing messaging
  • Finally clarify GDC discussion about BC but only after the internet explodes because the message is so poor people are concerned that their digital purchases for ps4 won't play on ps5
There is no defence of their shit messaging. I just hope they fix their shit and start putting out some better information leading up to launch.

Really? You honestly think Sony's messaging has been good thus far?
I never said its been good. But you're being hyperbolic by stating that its been shit.

• Next to no concrete information for year(s), skipping E3 and going dark for a very long time

They don't owe you, or anyone any information until they feel its necessary for them to reveal it. We are 6 months out from launch. Do you see Apple, Google, Samsung, even Microsoft for any of their hardware outside of Xbox, announcing any products more than 6 months before they intend to have it available for purchase?
Its pointless. All that hype you build is basically thrown in the bin after 6 months. You've spent far too much time on the microcosm of GAF, the vast majority of the target demographic of consoles simply do not give a shit. Sure, I suppose you could have media blow-outs once every month and repeat yourself endlessly, but that's a waste of time and money. Particularly now, given that most of the world has ground to a halt due to a fucking devastating global pandemic.

• Finally release some info and it's a fucking logo, nothing else

And it generated more interest than the Series X reveal at The Game Awards. So, I'd consider that a smart bit of marketing. They managed to steal all the attention, without having actually said anything.

• Release a GDC talk that looks like something a college kid would make not a billion dollar company, cringeworthy cardboard cutouts for a 'crowd', rambling discussion, confusing messaging

That GDC talk was actually a very good one, and very informative to the people whom it was aimed at. The worst aspect of it, was the fact that it was promoted on Twitter, but then how else do you generate interest with developers who would otherwise miss it. Particularly given that the event it was supposed to be delivered at was cancelled by a pandemic.

• Finally clarify GDC discussion about BC but only after the internet explodes because the message is so poor people are concerned that their digital purchases for ps4 won't play on ps5
There is no defence of their shit messaging. I just hope they fix their shit and start putting out some better information leading up to launch.

Sure, I guess if you're a console gaming enthusiast who is in constant need of information, the messaging is indefensible. But the bigger picture is that none of this will matter when in 3-6 months time Sony unload all of the software they have planned. The launch price, the actual physical industrial design for the system and so on and so forth.
You're acting like what they're doing here is simply unforgivable and a tremendous faux pas for marketing, when the simple fact is that they've approached their reveal/marketing strategy in exactly the same fucking way as they did with the PS4. An early architectural overview provided by Mark Cerny directed towards developers, followed up by a full and final reveal of the console hardware and software.
What a disaster that was eh? I suppose it was a failure, as the PS4 will have to settle for being only the second best selling home console of all time.

entremet

Sony is the incumbent and clear market leader. They can call the shots.

When they were humbled last generation, you saw how aggressive they acted to correct mistakes.

And look at what MS is doing now post Mattick.

Success usually is a double-edged sword.

That said, I don't think Sony is being arrogant per se. They have a lot of leeway since they've already won over customers with the PS4. They are operating out of a position of strength.

pr0cs

They don't owe you, or anyone any information
They sure do if they want me to be interested in and buy their products.
vast majority of the target demographic of consoles simply do not give a shit
So because casual gamers don't care I shouldn't care? Nah, just because you don't take gaming seriously doesn't mean no one else shouldn't.

And it generated more interest than the Series X reveal at The Game Awards.
Probably because people are starving for information, because their messaging has been shit

That GDC talk was actually a very good one,
Nope it was terrible and Sony has had to fix the shit messaging on their blog to try and fix the terrible information provided in there.
We still have people thinking that the SSD is somehow something new and will change the face of gaming.
Tip:it won't, at best 1st party software might do something interesting with it

Elenchus

Banned

Because you’re explaining the console’s capabilities and none of the performance numbers being quoted will hold without proper cooling.

If Cerny was not going to present a working box with a power cord and an on-switch, he could at least present a complete plan for one.

This is a particular issue for him as well because the cooling solution he engineered for PS4 failed. He had a second bite at the apple with Pro and failed again.

So if I were a dev I’d want more than lofty power point slides before I wrap my project plan around his unproven promises.

They sure do if they want me to be interested in and buy their products.

So because casual gamers don't care I shouldn't care? Nah, just because you don't take gaming seriously doesn't mean no one else shouldn't.

Probably because people are starving for information, because their messaging has been shit

Nope it was terrible and Sony has had to fix the shit messaging on their blog to try and fix the terrible information provided in there.
We still have people thinking that the SSD is somehow something new and will change the face of gaming.
Tip:it won't, at best 1st party software might do something interesting with it

If Sony not telling you every last detail of their PS5 strategy right now; 6 months before launch, is enough of a reason for you to not buy a PS5, then by all means don't buy one.
I don't really care whether you do or not. Frankly, I'm not sure if Sony really care whether or not you, or a few hundred like you on a small internet forum are so easily dissuaded from purchasing their system.

Let me throw a hypothetical at you.
Its October 2020, Sony have shown they're gonna have 10 AAA launch exclusives (one of which is bundled with the system at no extra cost), full disk-based BC with PS1, 2 3 and 4, including having the ability to transfer save data from older systems. They show the system is going to be priced at $399, with free PSN connectivity.
After all that would you then not buy a PS5 just because their messaging was of insufficient quality way back in mid-March?

Of course, none of that will actually happen, but I ask you. How will what has been stated thus far, affect what Sony says in 3 months, or in 6 months time; closer to launch. Because ultimately what is said in the last couple weeks or months before launch, matters way more than a misunderstood developer keynote over half a year prior.

That's all.

EDIT: You also haven't addressed how the PS4 was handled in exactly the same way, which wasn't a problem back in 2012/13.

Last edited:
Sony wouldn't be showing the PS5 chassis off right now, even if they had a 18.4 TFLOP behemoth which was cooled using a pocket dimension filled with liquid helium. Cause it doesn't fucking matter when we're 6+ months away from the console's actual release.
Yeah its great for console warriors and enthusiasts who spend most of their days arguing about decimal number multiplication, but for the vast majority of console gamers, its not even on the radar.
But it gives content to the youtubers out there.

Hobbygaming

Sony doesn't have to say a thing, they have an army of fanboys working as PR guys already. This forum were swarmed with ssd threads and how this "new" tech revolutionize the industry.

Because Sony says so.
The pot calling the kettle black lol

Top Bottom