• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: Amazon distributor claims Nov 11 release, $249 price tag. 3 Bundles

Pachinko

I'm not 100% convinced that 3 skus are happening. If that WERE the case all 3 skus would require obviously the base console, power supply and an HDMI cable plus a single gamepad. I suspect nintendo land would be included even at this level so let's say that's the 249.99 version.

Go up to the 299.99 bundle and I see the same console coming with the dual shock style controller but nothing extra beyond that.

Finally the 349.99 bundle .. well I can see it coming with obviously both of the above things but perhaps it also comes with a copy of new super mario world ?

Hard to say really. These are within what I would consider expected price ranges.

donny2112

If that WERE the case all 3 skus would require obviously the base console, power supply and an HDMI cable plus a single gamepad.

Not a chance.

I suspect nintendo land would be included even at this level

Nope. It makes sense to over a more barebones option for those who 1) can't afford the higher cost or 2) just don't want to be forced to get that game.

With those changes, it becomes much easier to see how three tiers (if there are three tiers) could be done.

At this price, I really wonder why Nintendo didn't just combine this generation into a handheld-airplay type console. Sounds like I can wait until November to get a 3DS XL with better color options and price drop.

They (Nintendo) were fined for price fixing about ten years ago.

Ever since they do all they can to officially/technically avoid setting prices. Times have changed since then and while Britain may have the cheapest game prices, consoles can (at least e.g. at Amazon) cost more in Britain than in real Europe.
That was not price fixing, they worked in trade prevention. Basically they tried to prevent imports from other European countries.

Hopefully the 'W' stands for wired connection, as in DSL input.
Now people want WiiU to have a DSL modem?

Cheaper 360s and ps3s this fall will seem like a much better deal than a $250 wii u, which merely matches those machines and has an overpriced, underspec'd tablet

The problem with wii u really isn't price though. $250 is ok, not great, but if the machine were appealing it would sell at an even higher price. I expect $400 ps4s and 720s to have much higher demand, for instance.
We don't know much about the power of the machine yet, it's safe to say that it more than matches PS360. We also don't know for how much the controller will be sold (if it's sold separately at all.

Hm.

$250: WiiU + Upad
$300: WiiU + Upad + NintendoLand + Wiimote
$350: WiiU + Upad + NintendoLand + Wiimote + Pro Controller

Agreed, though depending on the price of the pro controller, I would imagine that the $350 bundle could include some minor extras along with it, like an HDMI cable and/or a SD card (Assuming that all models have some onboard flash memory).

SuomiDude

249$/€ is definately day one for me. 299$/€ means I'll wait and see how things work out. Anything more than that and I'll just wait until I can get it cheaper.

fabprems

Hm.

$250: WiiU + Upad
$300: WiiU + Upad + NintendoLand + Wiimote
$350: WiiU + Upad + NintendoLand + Wiimote + Pro Controller

It makes no sense. Like I said earlier, different SKUs should have different targets.

I understand that we're on a videogame board, but your SKUs Nosgoroth are aimed at "poor gamer/gamer/rich gamer" and not mass market/gamer/family...

And I don't see the point of having a Pro controller to play Nintendoland... ??

My guess
$250 = Starter Pack : WiiU + Wii-Upad /Nintendoland
$300 = Core Pack : WiiU + Wii-Upad + HDD / Nintendoland (and a downloadable game ?)
$350 = Family Pack : WiiU + 2 Wii-Upad /Nintendoland

Having multiple SKUs like this for a launch just doesn't seem like Nintendo's style.

Totally agree on that, but we'll see..

imjust1n

Banned
ok enought with the nintendoland thing do you REALLY think im gonna pay more for that game....NO do you really think ANYONE is gonna pay extra money fore nintendoland HELL NO.
Why would nintendo have 3 diffrent choices of system or bundle ....the U pad HAS to come with every system people are gonna get confused in the controller and system kids are only gonna have just the system for Christmas and not the u pad and wont be able to play any game on it.

I think nintendo will have to be under 300 with the game pad and a game which is ....Nintendoland all that bundling that is bonus stuff base price of that system I think will be 250 bucks with the Upad and Nintendoland if it is more it will be very hard to sell 300 might be catching its tail but over ehh I wont pay for that I have better things to spend my money on.

$249 would be the price that I may impulse buy at. We will see. I had convinced myself to not even consider buying until Zelda but I am now waivering.

skullflame

Neo Member
$249 - White Wii U/Pad + NintendoLand Demo Preinstalled
$299 - White Wii U/Pad + NintendoLand + Wiimote/Nunchuck + 8GB SD Card
$349 - Black Wii U/Pad + NintendoLand + Wiimote/Nunchuck + Pro Controller + 16GB SD Card

All will have Pre-Installed Apps (Mii, Panorama, Internet Browser, eShop, Netflix w/ Trial, etc), NFC/AR cards, and $10 eShop Credit (limited time; linked to console) to encourage connecting their Wii Us to the internet.

Club Nintendo Limited Exclusive: Register your Wii U and receive a NFC-Enabled Non-Specific Action Figure and download code for a NSAF Game while supplies last!

IrishNinja

$249 - White Wii U/Pad + NintendoLand Demo Preinstalled
$299 - White Wii U/Pad + NintendoLand + Wiimote/Nunchuck + 8GB SD Card
$349 - Black Wii U/Pad + NintendoLand + Wiimote/Nunchuck + Pro Controller + 16GB SD Card

All will have Pre-Installed Apps (Mii, Panorama, Internet Browser, eShop, Netflix w/ Trial, etc), NFC/AR cards, and $10 eShop Credit (limited time; linked to console) to encourage connecting their Wii Us to the internet.

assuming nintendo actually does SKUs/bundles (would this be a launch first?), im revising my vote: a lot of this sounds plausible.

EuroMIX

Hahah "reasoning". It was a joke. Lighten up.

You know, I hate it when someone says something without any hint of it being a joke and then tries to hand-wave it off as one.

Considering that many Americans still seem to be burnt by ANYTHING Europe gets before/exclusively it wouldn't have surprised me if you were being serious.

lol, jk

Steph_E.

The UK situation in a nutshell:

Game are probably the most visable retailer to the mass-market, and they are generally the most expensive.
Amazon/Play/Zavvi etc and the online stores undercut them by at least a tenner per item.
The big supermarkets like Tesco and Asda sell popular items (usually only the top 10-20 games and new consoles) cheaper still as loss-leaders, especially in the run-up to Christmas.
Competition between all of the above means that the prices can change on a daily basis in the run-up to a high-profile launch.

This means that if Nintendo gives a trade price of, say, £180, you could see the same item sold for anywhere from £160 to £250 depending on where you look, which day you look and which bundle you go for.

Not only that, but software is generally sold by the online stores from the channel islands, which avoid tax if an item has a value of £18 or less.

This is no longer true. The British Governement stopped Low Value Consignment Relief on goods imported from the Channel Islands from April 2012.

Steph_E.

I agree, the more expensive sku will be the black one. But I doubt they'll pack in ZombiU when they have there own games that could go in there instead.

I think they will be exactly the same price. The black Wii was more expensive than the white Wii solely because it was a newer product.

CoilShot

For those saying this won't ever happen...With the NES Nintendo had 4 SKUs:
Power Set
Action Set
Control Deck
Deluxe Set

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You will be able to play them on all Wii U bundles - courtesy of virtual console (- possibly - eventually).

That's what people thought about Game Boy Advance/SNES/Genesis games on 3DS.

redcrayon

This is no longer true. The British Governement stopped Low Value Consignment Relief on goods imported from the Channel Islands from April 2012.

Ah, fair enough. It was why everything got reduced to 17.99 for years though, but this is probably why games aren't dropping in price quite as quickly as they were this time last year, ta for the correction.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ok enought with the nintendoland thing do you REALLY think im gonna pay more for that game....NO do you really think ANYONE is gonna pay extra money fore nintendoland HELL NO.
Why would nintendo have 3 diffrent choices of system or bundle ....the U pad HAS to come with every system people are gonna get confused in the controller and system kids are only gonna have just the system for Christmas and not the u pad and wont be able to play any game on it.

I think nintendo will have to be under 300 with the game pad and a game which is ....Nintendoland all that bundling that is bonus stuff base price of that system I think will be 250 bucks with the Upad and Nintendoland if it is more it will be very hard to sell 300 might be catching its tail but over ehh I wont pay for that I have better things to spend my money on.

Not many on GAF will pay for Nintendoland.

There's a HUGE difference between GAF consumer and Average Joe Consumer.

jrDev

Cheaper 360s and ps3s this fall will seem like a much better deal than a $250 wii u, which merely matches those machines and has an overpriced, underspec'd tablet

The problem with wii u really isn't price though. $250 is ok, not great, but if the machine were appealing it would sell at an even higher price. I expect $400 ps4s and 720s to have much higher demand, for instance.
I'll quote you on that...

Plinko

But so far there's no real next-gen games for it. The launch titles are PS3/360 ports or current-gen games converted to Wii U.

There is no evidence that NSMBU or Rayman Legends started on the Wii.

But so far there's no real next-gen games for it. The launch titles are PS3/360 ports or current-gen games converted to Wii U.

Doesn't matter whether it's "next gen", public perception will be new games played in new ways. You can't get Rayman/NSMBU/Pikmin/Nintendoland/Project P-100/ZombiU anywhere else.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I figured it out! The 349 bundle is a collectors edition..

Nintendo is serious about the Wii-U as a core gaming system so your getting

Wii-U, Gamepad, Classic Controller, and Call of Duty Back Ops two and Nintendo Land bundle.. (Camo)

or

Wii-U, Gamepad, Classic Controller, and New Super Mario Bro's Wii-U and Nintendo Land bundle..possible special color (red?)

Would you buy these if true??

Image they partner with Activision and showcase a special version exclusive for Wii-U (console color and controller) and at the Sept show they demo it for Wii-U..

Seeing that COD BO2 comes out on November 18th this would ensure some of the sales would go to the Wii-U sku as apposed to the PS3/360's due to Wii-U pre sales hype.

beje

Banned
I figured it out! The 349 bundle is a collectors edition..

Nintendo is serious about the Wii-U as a core gaming system so your getting

Wii-U, Gamepad, Classic Controller, and Call of Duty Back Ops two and Nintendo Land bundle.. (Camo)

or

Wii-U, Gamepad, Classic Controller, and New Super Mario Bro's Wii-U and Nintendo Land bundle..possible special color (red?)

Would you buy these if true??

Image they partner with Activision and showcase a special version exclusive for Wii-U (console color and controller) and at the Sept show they demo it for Wii-U..

Seeing that COD BO2 comes out on November 18th this would ensure some of the sales would go to the Wii-U sku as apposed to the PS3/360's due to Wii-U pre sales hype.

I highly doubt it, seeing how MS already pays Activision insane amounts of money to keep CoD associated to the Xbox brand as much as possible, like pretending the game is exclusive while launching the rest of the versions through the back door.

Top Bottom